Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2018, 18:22   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

After going through each and every post of this thread and watching YouTube reviews, with lot of expectation I went to test drive NEXON Diesel. The showroom I went for TD was AUTO MATRIX, MANGALORE. When compared to showroom experience in Renault, Maruti , Hyundai , FORD the experience with TATA was not up to the mark.

On my previous attempt to test drive the NEXON I was told that it was out of location (Of course after reaching the display arena). This time it was in service due to issue with clutch. Sales Person promised that the car will be ready by noon. After finishing all other test drives, I called Sales Person. He was out on some work and told that he will arrange the test drive and confirmed that NEXON is back from service centre. I went to showroom and vehicle was not yet fixed. It had a lifeless clutch which some times doesn't travel back unless pressed firmly.The car had run some 15K kms and sales guy claims that it was just a clutch adjustment due to various abuses test drive vehicle undergoes ( at 15K KMs!?). Also the fuel tank lid was hanging out. Sales guy sheepishly attempted closing twice and on third attempt somehow fitted it back with both the hands.

Despite this issue, I took the test drive. PROs and CONs are already discussed but here are the major put offs.

1.Thick A pillar. A pillar is so thick that, in a curvy road I completely missed an entire Hyundai Eon, Out of nowhere EON appeared thanks to A pillar.
2.For reversing when I looked back , all I could see was extra thick C-pillar. I feel reverse camera is must for this vehicle.
3. This is the most important part, the low speed ride on concrete road is harsh. Apt word I can think of is "jiggly" as mentioned in the official review.

I took my 6 year old Figo & Test Drive Baleno on same road and in both the cases ride was smooth! One of my friend (from some other city) who test drove NEXON and later settled for Tigor is citing same "low speed ride is not comfortable in NEXON. Both me and my wife felt same, in Tigor it was much better on same stretch". Is it something to do with the TD vehicle, any one else felt "too jiggly" in NEXON?
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 20:12   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Is it something to do with the TD vehicle, any one else felt "too jiggly" in NEXON?
The low speed ride is not as smooth as the hatch backs and sedan you mentioned, but you must compare the ride quality with other compact SUV's. I would say the low speed ride quality is more or less the same as the new Ford Eco sport, and better than the Brezza. The WRV is smoother.
Personally I am OK with a bit of harshness so I am quite happy with my Nexon. Especially because the ground clearance is really helpful on the roads which I use. Its about five months since I bought the Nexon and it is really holding up well on the bad roads. The roads are already so bad that I don't notice the "jiggle" at all. I notice the bit of harshness only when I get on to mediocre city roads.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 20:29   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I took my 6 year old Figo ..
Specifically, not to compare with a 6-yr old car. The suspensions get softer and will appear "smooth" in older cars.

Also, suspension will behave differently at different speeds :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
The low speed ride is not as smooth as the hatch backs and sedan you mentioned, but you must compare the ride quality with other compact SUV's. I would say the low speed ride quality is more or less the same as the new Ford Eco sport, and better than the Brezza. The WRV is smoother.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 21:50   #1129
BHPian

The Nexon does have a stiffer low speed ride which is unusual for a Tata but it still is better than Brezza and Ecosport. However when the speeds rise this stiffer suspension smothers everything on the road and provides a stable ride and a fun ride too. The compact SUVs are bound to have this behavior given the GC they come up with.
The WRV is hardly a sub compact SUV as its based on Jazz and comes with the lowest GC as well. At higher speeds the Nexon would be more comfortable when compared to the WRV.
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 08:47   #1130
BHPian

Veering off to a different topic, people who are looking at the Nexon should keep in mind that the ARAI mileage quoted by TATA is most likely to be in the Eco mode, which cuts down the horses quite a lot. So the ARAI mileage of say the Ecosport cannot be compared apple to apple with the Nexon ARAI figure as the Nexon wouldve been tested in ECO mode. As Ravenravi had indicated earlier, the Nexon produces ~70bhp in ECO mode AND returns figures of 17.88 & 23.97 in ARAI tests vs the Ecosport figures of 17 & 23 which didnt have its bhp figures cut to achieve those numbers.

So unless a prospective owner runs his Nexon only in Eco mode, the FE for Nexon should be always lower than say, a comparative Ecosport. I thought people should know this, rather than buying a Nexon and finding out .

This is not to deter anyone or to bash TATA. And I can say this with confidence as I own a Bolt Revotorq. Bought pre owned and now almost clocked 40k. Minor niggles aside, solid build & ride quality ! I know TATA can only get better, so the Nexon must be really well built as well. If you go to a TATA showroom for the Nexon, do check out the seats, space at the back and the instrument cluster on the Zest/Bolt and compare with the Nexon. You'll be surprised
coldice4u is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 16:01   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Saw this Ad during the IPL, it is really cool!
Thanks for the share. I ended up at their official page and there is whole lot of them !! 'Reverse swing' & 'Bouncer' are my best pik though.. What do you feel?

Brilliant job Team NEXON , keep 'em coming

Last edited by Moto$apien : 14th April 2018 at 16:03. Reason: its a Saturday !
Moto$apien is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 22:32   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
the ARAI mileage quoted by TATA is most likely to be in the Eco mode, which cuts down the horses quite a lot. So the ARAI mileage of say the Ecosport cannot be compared apple to apple with the Nexon ARAI figure as the Nexon wouldve been tested in ECO mode. As Ravenravi had indicated earlier, the Nexon produces ~70bhp in ECO mode AND returns figures of 17.88 & 23.97 in ARAI tests vs the Ecosport figures of 17 & 23 which didnt have its bhp figures cut to achieve those numbers.

So unless a prospective owner runs his Nexon only in Eco mode, the FE for Nexon should be always lower than say, a comparative Ecosport. I thought people should know this, rather than buying a Nexon
The ARAI test method involves a fixed cycle of vehicle speed pattern, that is to be followed by the driver inside the vehicle. This cycle can be met by any vehicle even one such as a Nano. The power required to meet this cycle for the Nexon will be lesser than the even 70bhp in Eco mode. So regardless of the mode, the fuel consumption while meeting the fixed cycle will be approximately the same. The slight differences in modes will be only due to the aggressive nature of the throttle response, but since the driver while testing should not exceed a defined range of the cycle speed (+/-5kmph, I think), he/she will not press the accelerator also so aggressively.
I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...errerid=114810

From,
nijelj
nijelj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 08:22   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
people who are looking at the Nexon should keep in mind that the ARAI mileage quoted by TATA is most likely to be in the Eco mode, which cuts down the horses quite a lot. So the ARAI mileage of say the Ecosport cannot be compared apple to apple with the Nexon ARAI figure as the Nexon wouldve been tested in ECO mode. As Ravenravi had indicated earlier, the Nexon produces ~70bhp in ECO mode AND returns figures of 17.88 & 23.97 in ARAI tests vs the Ecosport figures of 17 & 23 which didnt have its bhp figures cut to achieve those numbers.
I have completed nearly 5.5 months and 7000KM on my Nexon. The best fuel efficiency I achieved so far on highways (tankful to tankful method) is 24.2 and the best in city I have achieved is 18.66 BOTH IN SPORT MODE. This behavior is so consistent that I now drive the Nexon exclusively in the sport mode.
Enobarbus is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 13:44   #1134
BHPian

Guys a question for all the BHPians here. Its more of a generalized question but since its regarding Nexon i thought i should post it here. After booking my Nexon White dual tone petrol the dealer gave me a wait time of about 4 weeks. The pricing at the time of delivery is taken into consideration always which is fine by me. After couple of weeks the dealer sent me a screenshot that the car is in transit as it has left the facility in Pune and it will reach in 7 days time.

Now here is the tricky part. Since the car has already left the facility and it has been billed to the dealer already as per prices which were applicable that time and by the time it reaches the dealer the prices were hiked by upto 25k. So is it justified on part of the dealer to bill me as per new prices even when the car was manufactured at a time when the prices were less and had left the production before the price hike. The dealer is surely billed as per previous price but he wont bill me as per that price.

So would like to know is there a way i can ask for the discount and is it ethical on my part to get the car as per previous pricing. Had the car not been manufactured yet or not left the facility before the price hike i can understand the point of asking for hiked price from me but it had already left the plant. Any answers to my question please.
Old 16th April 2018, 14:18   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Monis View Post
The pricing at the time of delivery is taken into consideration always which is fine by me.
This is the stand dealer will take - and also, you have signed up on this one. You can try negotiate, but I doubt you would get much discount of that 25k difference.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 14:45   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Monis View Post
Guys a question for all the BHPians here
May be difficult since you are getting a mint condition car. Easier if it was a stock car from previous month etc. You can negotiate hard on insurance and handling charges if applicable and save enough money there. I saved nearly 26k by doing this
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 16:45   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
May be difficult since you are getting a mint condition car. Easier if it was a stock car from previous month etc. You can negotiate hard on insurance and handling charges if applicable and save enough money there. I saved nearly 26k by doing this
The car's VIN says its manufactured in April so technically its from the previous stock as the prices were increased only after 10th of April and by that time it was already in transit. So it must be surely billed as per previous pricing to the dealer. Regarding the handling charges they already have agreed on waiver of the logistics at the moment i booked my car.
Old 16th April 2018, 17:16   #1138
BHPian

As far as I know, the price will be the one at the time of billing (invoicing). As simple as that. Any deviation from this needs negotiation efforts.
Old 16th April 2018, 19:50   #1139
BHPian

https://twitter.com/CarDekho/status/985879735594029056

Nexon AMT is getting the alloy wheels. Also the wheel size is 215/60 R16. If the specification sheets are an indication then AMT will be available with XZ+ trim. XZ variant doesn't get alloys and comes with one size less wheels as per brochure.

This is brilliant news if true. Never understood the strategy to not provide an automatic with top variant à la Maruti Suzuki.
Old 16th April 2018, 21:07   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
This is brilliant news if true. Never understood the strategy to not provide an automatic with top variant à la Maruti Suzuki.
On the flip side, ex-showroom for XZA+ is bound to cross 10 lakhs in most states which would make Nexon AMT a little less VFM compared to the manual variants. Exciting times ahead !

Most Viewed