Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2018, 17:41   #1216
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Test drove the Nexon AMT diesel yesterday.
The engine felt punchy enough for city and highway requirements, it reached the triple digit speeds in no time and the brakes had a decent bite too.
What irritated me a bit was the AMT "head-nod" which was pretty evident when accelerated flat in a straight line.
This was comparatively much better in the manual mode where the shifts were smoother.
All in all rather pleasant car to drive in city traffic conditions and the occasional high spirited sprints.
aak91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 18:34   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak91 View Post
What irritated me a bit was the AMT "head-nod" which was pretty evident when accelerated flat in a straight line.
The best way to enjoy an AMT is to find the ideal speed and acceleration and stick to it. The head nod will be hardly perceptible. That's what I used to do when I had the Zest XMA.
Old 7th May 2018, 20:14   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
The best way to enjoy an AMT is to find the ideal speed and acceleration and stick to it. The head nod will be hardly perceptible. That's what I used to do when I had the Zest XMA.
Could you please elaborate what is meant by head nod?
Old 7th May 2018, 21:59   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Could you please elaborate what is meant by head nod?
The time the car takes to shift the gear and engage the clutch is alternatively called the "head nod". Usually the AMT takes a bit longer to engage the clutch than the time we take in the manual version. The gear shifts become clearly noticeable because of this. It is even more pronounced under hard acceleration.
If we drive with a light foot and accelerate moderately, the slow engagement of the clutch matches with our driving style and the gear shifts are not noticeable so prominently. I may be wrong, but this is my current understanding.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 00:41   #1220
yuv
BHPian

Whats with the Wearable PEP's key. Looks like none of the dealers have received it. In fact one of the dealers went up to the extent of denying its part of the standard accessories until I showed him the XZA plus specs on the Tata Motors Website.

It would seem even Tata forgot its a standard accessory and never shipped it with the first lot.
yuv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 10:43   #1221
BHPian

Guys any update with the total sales numbers for Nexon for April 2018. Car sales analysis report is still not out on the forum so i was a bit anxious about the numbers for Tata Nexon. It will be really interesting to know the impact of Nexon AMT launch on manual version of the car even if the delivery of AMT is yet to start. Has the launch impacted the sales numbers for potential buyers.

Also i am curious to know about the downfall of Ford (read EcoSport) as i read in another news article that Ford has seen a decline in sales for April. May be the Nexon effect i guess as people are giving TATA more chance to thrive in cut throat market plus the value for money factor which comes with Nexon. EcoSport no longer seems to be affordable due to its price hike almost every month.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:59   #1222
Senior - BHPian

^^ The numbers are out on autopunditz.

Nexon: 4717
Ecosport: 4128
WRV: 2949
S-Cross: 3929
Brezza: 10818
fiat_tarun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 12:16   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ The numbers are out on autopunditz.

Nexon: 4717
Ecosport: 4128
WRV: 2949
S-Cross: 3929
Brezza: 10818
So it's as expected after reading the news about Ford's decline. We can easily say that Nexon has been a big hit for TATA and taking the 2nd spot in Compact SUV segment from a well established product like Ford EcoSport is no easy feat. Kudos to TATA for such a great product and i guess TATA should thank the Indian customers too who are willing to look beyond the likes of Fords and Maruti's now. Better cars do deserve better chances and Nexon has done it for TATA. Nexon was right at the tail of Eco Sport since the launch and this time they have managed to surpass the numbers of EcoSport and i guess with the AMT launch the numbers will increase even further.

On a lighter note when is Ford planning a price reduction for Eco Sport because they just keep changing the prices at the blink of an eye these days without giving any obvious reasons.
Syed Monis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 14:36   #1224
BHPian

[quote=Syed Monis;4397289]So it's as expected after reading the news about Ford's decline. We can easily say that Nexon has been a big hit for TATA and taking the 2nd spot in Compact SUV segment from a well established product like Ford EcoSport is no easy feat.QUOTE]

Well Finally Nexon Overtakes Ecosport.
Look closer and there are multiple reasons for that.
1) Ford has started production for Freestyle and Ford being Ford would have definitely made sure it affects Ecosport production.
2) Nexon AMT's Test drive vehicle dispatches would have happened in April and that also would have contributed to the numbers.

That being said, Nexon numbers are going to go only UP with AMT deliveries starting from May. After minor blips with Tigor(Average) and Hexa(Flop), TATA is back with another success post Tiago. TATA has now job cut out to ensure there are no production constraints. With no new vehicle in the pipeline for 2018, this should be possible.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 16:50   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
That being said, Nexon numbers are going to go only UP with AMT deliveries starting from May. After minor blips with Tigor(Average) and Hexa(Flop), TATA is back with another success post Tiago. TATA has now job cut out to ensure there are no production constraints. With no new vehicle in the pipeline for 2018, this should be possible.
Please look at the segment a car is placed in before saying its a flop! 800 to 1000 units a month is decent numbers for a TATA priced above 20L for the top trim!

The sales numbers were 1404 last month and it may reduce to below 1000 during some months as well. It all depends on the factors you consider to judge a car as flop. Sales of a few measly months cannot be considered for this.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 17:02   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think Tigor or Hexa have been flops for TATA.Infact these were the cars after Tiago which gave TATA a better brand value and Nexon has followed the same. Hexa is priced at premium so one can not expect it to do the same business as that of Tiago. The cars it is competing against are very well established and have bigger brand value among masses compared to TATA so one should not expect Hexa to break records set by the likes of XUV's and Compass's. Hexa is bringing is really impressive number month after month considering its from TATA stable and what other brands like Maruti might consider a flop is not necessarily a flop for a brand like TATA which shares less than 6% market in automobile section in India.
Syed Monis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 21:46   #1227
yuv
BHPian

Hi All, I was smitten by this beast right from the test drive so picked it up today. The dealer informs me this was the 1st delivery of the AMT in Mumbai, probably whole of India.
Not that it really matters but yes kudos to him for the quick turnaround. I signed up for the extended warranty of 2 more years and also the parts replacement scheme (sorry, can't recall what its called) so looks like I'm good for 4 years now.

Thanks everyone for insightful thoughts and comments. You guys rock!
yuv is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 21:54   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
Hi All, I was smitten by this beast right from the test drive so picked it up today. The dealer informs me this was the 1st delivery of the AMT in Mumbai, probably whole of India.
Not that it really matters but yes kudos to him for the quick turnaround. I signed up for the extended warranty of 2 more years and also the parts replacement scheme (sorry, can't recall what its called) so looks like I'm good for 4 years now.

Congrats
Woa the AMT deliveries started of very quickly which is a good sign. Post pictures and updates on your progress soon.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:34   #1229
Senior - BHPian

From this,

Quote:
Thanks again, confirms my worst fears though. How can you be road-testing just weeks ahead of launch, they obviously never had a ready product to begin with.

Something is amiss, I'm seriously contemplating cancelling my booking,
and this,

Quote:
I think Tata has great potential, which is why I booked the AMT in first place however one things for sure, there is clearly an expectation mis-match (from my side) so I guess I will take a rain check this time. Its a Bye Bye to Tata for now, I have cancelled my booking.
to this!

Quote:

Congrats, Yuv. Wishing you many happy smiles with the Nexon.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 08:32   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, I was smitten by this beast right from the test drive so picked it up today.
Heartiest congratulations!!!
Wish you many miles of merry motoring. Most reviews indicate that you bought a winner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks