Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 12:32   #1261
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Guys need some help. Just when things looked rosy for me with the new Nexon delivered just few days ago i ran into trouble with my key fob. Surprisingly it stopped working as if the battery died on the remote. I tried a lot but nothing worked. Luckily for me the car was unlocked else i might had to see my car in the locked state only.

I called the service manager at TATA dealership and they said i need to lock the car using the manual key. After i did that the car was locked and then used the same manual key to open it again. After that i was told to switch the ignition on and keep the key fob in the area where we are supposed to keep the key(near the USB console) area. I did that and after a few seconds i was told to use the key fob now to lock and unlock my car and magic happened.

Not sure what was the issue but it worked. Service manager told me the jacket/cover of the key needs to be replaced and they will do so soon as it might not be receiving sensor signals correctly. Not sure anybody else has faced such issue before but the response was quick from TATA and i feel it's a known issue to them. So i would like people to keep it in mind what steps to follow if they face such issue with their key fob.
Syed Monis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 12:46   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandogerät View Post
So it seems that the service center team is not fully trained to remove the service reminder once the service is done or has not done their job correctly.
Which plants the nagging doubt in my mind, what else have they not been trained on to do correctly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
That could be a simple oversight. Write to Tata motors and I feel they will visit your home and reset it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
Sorry, but this is preposterous complaining. Read the user manual and reset it yourself. It is a simple oversight that has zero effect on the quality of service provided to your vehicle.
Oversights, however simple task be it, should not happen. Period.
For this particular car, they forgot to reset the counter. And then, may be he forget to tighten the lug nuts and claim it as just another oversight? No it should not have happened.

A service technician is given a check list that needs to be done without fail. If he missed to do one task and mark the task as completed, then that definitely flags the question whether he has properly done the remaining tasks.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 13:50   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
For this particular car, they forgot to reset the counter. And then, may be he forget to tighten the lug nuts and claim it as just another oversight? No it should not have happened.

A service technician is given a check list that needs to be done without fail. If he missed to do one task and mark the task as completed, then that definitely flags the question whether he has properly done the remaining tasks.
And how is he supposed to clear the service alert if it wasn't there in the first place during service? Request you to understand the scenario.

If you give the car for service well before the said kilometres are up, there's no alert generated for the guys to clear.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 14:57   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
And how is he supposed to clear the service alert if it wasn't there in the first place during service? Request you to understand the scenario.

If you give the car for service well before the said kilometres are up, there's no alert generated for the guys to clear.
The car was given for service because it completed 6 months. Since this is not my primary car, the kilometers covered were not that much. I would assume that there would quite a decent amount of people who would find themselves in this situation.

I would have hoped that there should have been some sort of flag to be set in the software as a part of the service that indicates that the second service is done and there is no need to alert the driver.

There is indeed a similar instruction in the manual about erasing all error codes. That operation could incorporate setting the flag.

If this is not the case, it is going to be an interesting state of confusion that the customer would be exposed to. Imagine a non enthusiast getting his vehicle back after servicing at say 6995 km and then having his vehicle tell him to take it to servicing. He could easily claim that since the vehicle is saying that the service is not done, there was no service done. A needless sour customer experience.
Perhaps the next software update could fix this.
Old 15th May 2018, 15:12   #1265
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

This has happened to me with TATA, Skoda, Ford and Hyundai. In most cases multiple times so be prepared.

With BMW it was a different version of this.

Yes it is a case of counter not being reset. Yes it is a case of attention to service not being upto the mark.

Nothing you do will prevent this from happening again to you over the life of this vehicle so chill and be prepared to get irate again in the future.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 15:28   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This has happened to me with TATA, Skoda, Ford and Hyundai. In most cases multiple times so be prepared.

With BMW it was a different version of this.

Yes it is a case of counter not being reset. Yes it is a case of attention to service not being upto the mark.
But how can you blame it on the service is my question? The alert is programmed to occur, say, 500 to 1000kms before the 10k mark or 20k kms mark. But if it's serviced well before this, how can they switch it off when there's no alert? By the way, this is the case in almost all 2 wheelers and cars.

I don't think the service guys are to blame. There has to be a provision to "make the car know" that it was serviced and hence, the alert doesn't come up when the actual kilometers are up.
If there's someone to blame, its the product team, not the service folks!
Old 15th May 2018, 15:40   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
But how can you blame it on the service is my question? The alert is programmed to occur, say, 500 to 1000kms before the 10k mark or 20k kms mark. But if it's serviced well before this, how can they switch it off when there's no alert? By the way, this is the case in almost all 2 wheelers and cars.
I'll just add two cents on my ownership experience of KTM RC 390. Since I have never serviced my bike on kms basis but instead every 6-9 months, post-service, service reminder needs to be reset manually. Since it wasn't done during last service, after about 1000 kms, I got a service reminder and it has remained on since then. I need to manually reset that to make sure it goes away.

The problem with this is that service reminder would lose track of all those kms between bike being serviced and reminder being reset.

Same would happen now with Nexon in question as well. Missing service by few hundred kms shouldn't be a big concern however, now when the Nexon goes for service basis the reminder notification, service center would find that car has shot over the kms since last service by some margin.
Old 15th May 2018, 20:41   #1268
BHPian

Went for the 1st Service for Nexon XZ+ (P). The interesting thing that happened was the BCM Update. Yes it is finally here.
The ORVMs fold in when the car is locked. They open up when the car is in ignition mode or when the engine is cranked.

PS- The Beast now feels a class above after the update
gk.93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 21:39   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Actually I don't think it works that way. Atleast not in the BMW and Toyota, the two brands where I have faced this. The warning is just a preset alarm. It is supposed to be reset by the service centre at the time of servicing regardless of the time/kms driven to the next expected service time. And this will take into consideration the maintenance schedule devised by the carmaker. For instance you take your car for service at 12 months and only 6k kms. The service centre needs to reset the meter to zero and it will again start counting till 10k kms and beep at that time. If you get it serviced before that, assuming you cover less than that distance but the time frame is achieved, then they will again reset it. It is as simple as that.

I have found guys at both BMW ( once) and Toyota ( multiple times) overlook this and always ended in me paying them an extra visit. With Toyota I just learnt how to reset the meter myself.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 22:12   #1270
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think the service guys are to blame. There has to be a provision to "make the car know" that it was serviced and hence, the alert doesn't come up when the actual kilometers are up.
If there's someone to blame, its the product team, not the service folks!
Service guys can and are expected to reset the service counter whenever we go for service. The cars with fixed intervals would again give a reminder when next due at say 5000 or 10000 kms as per the software set in the car.

The fault of the service guys is that they at times forget to reset the counter.

When we follow their instructions and do the reset ourselves at home the kms prior to this reset are ignored and it will give incorrect reminders till the counter is reset at the next service provided they remember to do it.

By the way I have even faced a situation of car being set with Diesel Engine interval while it was a petrol resulting in incorrect interval.

In case of Skoda Laura the interval used to be 10,000 kms and the company switched to 15,000 kms and the service guys still kept on setting it for 10,000 kms and I would have to do a reset manually at home.
Old 15th May 2018, 22:25   #1271
BHPian

Well, if the alert can be reset before it comes on, then i stand corrected. I observed a similar case in my hexa and was told by the SA during delivery post service that if i see an alert, i should reset it and it takes hardly a minute. And he did clearly say that there's no provision to reset it before it comes on. Ill have to speak with other dealers and owners to confirm how it works in the Hexa!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 01:10   #1272
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if the alert can be reset before it comes on, then i stand corrected. I observed a similar case in my hexa and was told by the SA during delivery post service that if i see an alert, i should reset it and it takes hardly a minute. And he did clearly say that there's no provision to reset it before it comes on. Ill have to speak with other dealers and owners to confirm how it works in the Hexa!
The TATA I was referring to was the Aria and it was possible to reset in case of the Aria at each service so must be possible in the hexa. The adhoc reset defeats the basic purpose on this reset.
Old 16th May 2018, 13:45   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Like ACM said, I have seen this multiple times on my Hyundai Elite i20. Even after reminding the SA when inspecting the car at delivery after service, he conveniently misses this.

In fact, the last time, after I highlighted this, the SA went and reset the counter to 180 days / 5,000 kms whereas for the i20 diesel, the service interval is 1 year / 10,000 kms. When I questioned him about this, he very coolly mentioned that as the dealer they recommend that we bring in the car at 5,000 kms for a general check-up and to grease all the moving parts

I can imagine many unsuspecting customers bringing their cars in every 6 months and paying money for services they do not require and should not be paying for!

I now just reset the counter myself as soon as I drive out of the service centre
phoenixash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 14:23   #1274
Distinguished - BHPian

This head-on collision happened in Goa. All 3 occupants are safe, albeit with some injuries.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-nex-goa.jpeg

More details awaited.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 17:48   #1275
BHPian

Whoa. I hope no one died in whatever this car got rammed. The impact has broken the alloys! Looks like it hit something that was low, as the damaged mostly seems to be near the front bottom of the car.

Assuming the intensity of the collision was really strong (alloys broke), the overall body shell seems to have retained its rigidity without letting metal poke inside the cabin.

Most Viewed