Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 14:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

As always, a neat & detailed review.
I must say, the reviewers are completely neutral amongst all the ga-ga over Nexon & have mentioned facts straight facedly. Thumbs up for that.
Only one correction is needed. Revotorque engine is being assembled at Tata's Pimpri plant & not at Chakan as mentioned twice in the review.
As a recent ex-TML employee I can confidently say that, Tata Motors does not have any facility at Chakan location except sales bay
(a kind of open warehouse where drive away chassis trucks are stored for further transportation)
speedguy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 14:31   #32
BHPian

Another great review with the trade mark attention to detail! Rated 5 Stars!

Saw one demo XZ+ (Diesel) in Hosur last week. I was in my Jetta and followed it for good 6~7 kms. Was amazed to see that the engine had enough grunt that kept me engaged into following it. I had to drive a bit spiritedly to keep pace (We all know how these Sales/Showroom guys rip new cars).

All in all appears like a real mature product with European like build (from the looks of it atleast). Kudos to Tata for that!
vinayrathore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 14:46   #33
BHPian

Lovely and detailed review with superb photographs! Thank you so much for taking the effort to note all the teeny tiny details. Much appreciated.

I personally feel Tata has upped their game. The improvement in feature set, interior and exterior part quality has improved by leaps and bounds. That speaks about the commitment of the company. If I was shopping for a car in the league of Nexon, this would come up as a strong contender.

What disappoints me is the ergonomics of driving, the A, B, C Pedals and the dead pedal position, something that the driver uses every other moment. Why couldn't they get it right in an otherwise well done car? It's beyond me!!! I'll check out the car in person to see how bad (or good) it is. But I usually trust T-BHP reviews a lot as it is more or less accurate for my case.

The 1.5 diesel seems to be the engine of choice. 260 Nm of torque! It's better than the S-Cross 1.3 (1248 cc) MJD.

Well done Tata. Your Hexa and Nexon are surely very good products!
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 14:58   #34
BHPian

So the Diwali gift is finally here. First of all many thanks to you guys for compiling such a detailed review. Many thanks to TM also for bringing out this fantastic VFM product. This review has come out one day before ‘Dhanteras’, people who were waiting for the review can book/ take delivery of Nexon at the right time.
Good to see that petrol engine is a capable unit, interior parts ‘feel good’ and the car is solid built.
All the best to TM, we can expect TM sales going north now.
itsmb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 14:59   #35
BHPian

As always, fantastic review guys! Every time I read an official team bhp review, it makes me think that one of the primary reasons auto magazines fall over each other to get their reviews out quickly is because they know once the team bhp review comes out their review would become the equivalent of the starter as compared to team bhp's five star, seven course course meal. I am so glad you do not focus on getting reviews out quickly just to get a few webpage hits.
Lone Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 15:17   #36
BHPian

A five star review, as expected. Any prospective buyer only has to go through the review for making up his mind. There is no better review available elsewhere. The detailed photographs say it all. The Nexon should hopefully put Tata back in the race.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 15:21   #37
BHPian

One thing i do not agree with the review is the ride quality. When i took the test drive i felt Nexon handled bad roads with aplomb and generally had a very flat ride. The suspension works quietly.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 15:28   #38

Thanks for the great review!

Can't help the feeling that this is nothing more than a beefed up Indica when viewed as a side profile. Given that Bolt and Zest were taking Tata on the trajectory of different variants, the Nexon has brought them back to the old garage.

With so many colors added all throughout, this is looking like a clown to me!
adeshsurroach is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 15:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

When it comes to weight, the Nexon is a fatty just like all Tata cars. With a kerb weight of 1,305 kg for the diesel, it is the heaviest car in the segment. Tata needs to consult a dietician as weight penalises performance & efficiency, both. To put things in perspective, the substantially larger Skoda Octavia diesel weighs just 35 kg more!
Attaching the image from the Nexon user manual as posted by Raven Ravi. The diesel XZ+ kerb weight is mentioned as 1250kg. It doesn't look like a misprint too as the XE shows a lower weight of 1225kg. Looks like a goof up in the press release by TATA.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171016_151540.jpg  

Last edited by damodar : 16th October 2017 at 15:40.
damodar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 15:35   #40
BHPian

A really well-detailed review! The Nexon is an interesting car, but not one that I would consider as my next ride . Looks too loud.

OT: The location of the review seems to be more amazing than the car itself!
Old 16th October 2017, 15:35   #41
BHPian

Finally, the much awaited review is out! As always, very detailed review by the team. Thanks for sharing and rated it a deserving 5 stars. I totally agree that the styling is love or hate type. I liked the front styling, but the rear and that white ceramic lining was not to my taste.
Disappointing to learn that the service interval is just 6 months. Other than that, I am okay with the package, particularly due to the VFM aspect compared to the competitors.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 15:49   #42
BHPian

Great review with attention to detail. As always! And my first reading the review of a Tata product in detail.

Think Tata wants to appeal to a younger crowd who gets a taste of their products early on. The competition is stiff and products in this segment needs to be a differentiator especially for Tata who are not in the choice list of most (includes me) till now. I will be taking a test drive even though I don't have a requirement for a car. I just want to feel the car because the design, interiors has appealed to me(though I am not young anymore).
shivasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 16:00   #43
BHPian

A very detailed and unbiased review, stating pros and cons as they are!
As someone stated, looks like two different teams have designed the Hexa and the Nexon. Wish the same team had designed the interiors of Hexa. Then we would have had plenty of storage spaces unlike now!
Coming to the car, petrol would be my choice if i were shopping in this segment. The diesel too is pretty silent and pulls impressively.
Design is very attractive and as members posted, you either like it or not. I love the rear but not the front as much. It's about time TATA dropped this design theme. Although it looks good in the Hexa and Tiago the front grill design doesn't do justice to the Nexon.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 16:10   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Attaching the image from the Nexon user manual as posted by Raven Ravi. The diesel XZ+ kerb weight is mentioned as 1250kg. It doesn't look like a misprint too as the XE shows a lower weight of 1225kg. Looks like a goof up in the press release by TATA.
The information we have (1,305 kg) was give by Tata Motors in its press release. The petrol weighs 1,237 kg. The difference is quite logical.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2017 at 16:11.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 16:41   #45
BHPian

Excellent review, lots of information and hopefully
Tata would read this and take actions to fix the rough finished parts mentioned here. I guess Tata's QC department has always been a bit not up to the mark, I can say cause I own a Tiago and my cousin bought a new one last month and have had the service center fixing stuff which any good QC department would have easily found and fixed. Anyways hope Nexon gets excellent response over time like Tiago has now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The touchscreen display was called as "Floating Dashtop HD display" initially whereas when the specs came out, it was just a 144p display.
Are you sure it's a 144p display cause 144p would be very grainy and will look like an old coloured display feature mobile. I'm sure that this is a 480p which sometimes is called as HD but actually is not and maybe hence the confusion. According to Wikipedia 480p is called ED, enhanced-definition.
Sam_GTR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed