Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 20:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

A good review from the Team-BHP team. One small point I'd like to disagree upon is this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
We felt that initial brake bite is missing, but after that, they are progressive and do the job as expected. That initial lack of bite will take some getting used to.
I test drove the diesel Nexon a week ago, and this was immediately after I dropped off our Hexa for service at the dealership, and I found the brake bite to be exceptional, along with excellent pedal feel. The Hexa's in comparison felt a bit spongy and lacked initial bite outright. Mind you, this does not affect the drivability in any form whatsoever as evidenced by one particular occasion in the Hexa, when a bus (without brake lights of course) in front of me suddenly came to a halt and the 2.2 ton behemoth stopped with no drama whatsoever, along with a quick reaction time from me. Brake feel, I feel is something that the driver gets used to, along with other things like clutch bite point and feel. They are inherent to every car and tied to the gearbox and various systems of the car. Every car is different, and everyone gets used to them eventually.

I wholeheartedly agree on the other points mentioned here. The car is well built, has very good engines. The diesel especially is commendable for its linear nature. I felt as though I was almost driving a NA petrol! The ride quality can be described quite aptly as a mini-Hexa.

Tata is also improving by leaps and bounds every single day in regards to the after-sales and service experience. The staff are courteous, have sufficient experience and knowledge and are even ready to perform above and beyond their call of duty for customer satisfaction. I hope this is the case for all the dealers soon enough, and we can gradually see their tables turning around sooner rather than later.
rshnvjy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 20:29   #62
BHPian

A super detailed review as usual from TBHP!! Keep it up Aditya and Vidyut!!

TATA really seem to be moving on the right path with the Tiago, Tigor, Hexa and now the Nexon.

After seeing some funky design language, wondering how a top end white colored Nexon would look. All that ceramic-like white borders would not be visible.

A pic of a white top end model would be appreciated here.

Cheers!
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 21:28   #63
BHPian

Thank you for your detailed review!!

Thanks to Tata for building such a magnificient car at a price which other competition were telling people is impossible to achieve. We have recently heard the Tata heads saying that each cars being manufactured are bleeding them except Indica.
Which proves car making is a costly affair and to achieve a market share one is Bound to bleed.

With Nexon Tata has earned my respect for being a true company which has its soul set for country. Sadly many will not bother as that moment we wear Buyers Hat and start abusing everything Tata (be it were niggles on a Indica brought in year 2000). Indian companies are getting access to technology very late and have to pay premium to access it. Sadly we have not been able to build IP in auto industry for domestic use.
rajesh.palaria is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 21:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.palaria View Post
Thank you for your detailed review!!

Thanks to Tata for building such a magnificient car at a price which other competition were telling people is impossible to achieve. We have recently heard the Tata heads saying that each cars being manufactured are bleeding them except Indica.
I wouldn't use the word "bleed". No manufacturer or any business for that matter will sell products at a loss. If that were the case, more sales would imply more loss to the company.

I would take the comments made by management with a pinch of salt. They may have meant that the profits per car aren't as per expectations or are way lower than Indica.

But i highly doubt the fact that each car is making a loss. Profit margins for newly launched products are very minimal and can pick up only if the volumes increase.
Old 16th October 2017, 21:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the wonderful review. 5 stars to it. I am on the lookout for a new car with in 10 lakhs - 20 lakhs and Nexon checks most of my requirements and is priced towards the bottom of my budget.

My requirements are:
1. Good looking interiors and features - Check
2. Nice linear power delivery - Check
3. Android Auto - Check
4. Easy to drive in city - Check. Hyderabad traffic has gone to dogs in the past few months. Currently using my Dad's Cruze and not enjoying it's power anyway.
5. Fresh to market - Check
6. Auto transmission - Miss
7. Styling. Liking Nexon now but not sure would appreciate in long term.
8. Interior space - Check. I am 6'1". I currently own Sunny.
9. Ride quality - Will have a demo ride to check for my self.
10. Budget - Check
11. Leather seats - Miss

With the price, I can save for my dream car (D-segment sedan) and get one sooner than ever.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 22:04   #66
BHPian

Nice and proper review with lots of details.Was worth the wait.

Quote:
Ride & Handling
At low speeds on less-than-perfect roads, the ride is jiggly. The Nexon doesn't ride as well as other Tatas and you will always be aware of the kind of surface you're driving on. Big city potholes will be prominently felt inside. While Vid6639 says it is not as bad as the EcoSport, it is certainly not as compliant as the WR-V either.
This seems like a deal breaker to me. I was looking forward to replace my 6 year old Vento and Nexon is a strong contender.
But now I am worried as we have a Tiago at home and its very bumpy in uneven roads or small potholes. I was hoping Nexon will be in the lines of Hexa. I had TDed Hexa AT and loved it.

We still haven't got the TD of the Nexon as TD vehicle is not available in the Trivandrum showroom.

Could you please reply to the following queries :
  1. Does the less-than-perfect roads means roads with small/big potholes or uneven roads ?
  2. By jiggly in low speeds, you mean to say the ride will be bumpy and not confidence inspiring ?
Old 16th October 2017, 22:04   #67
BHPian

Is there anyway in which we can compare this diesel engine to the K9K on the Duster which has similar specs? How do the two compare to each other when it comes to drive-ability (in gear acceleration), pick up (times taken to reach different speeds from 0 kmph) and the way they feel to drive?
Old 16th October 2017, 23:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Ride & Handling

The 215/60 R16 Goodyear Excellence tyres provide fair grip levels.
Thanks Aditya for the great review (as usual!!). However, I have to point out a difference.

Saturday (14th OCt), I did a test drive here at Bangalore (Mysore Road Concorde Motors). The tyres were Bridgestone Turanza. So, does that mean, we may get either Goodyear or Bridgestone or is it something specific to city? I am not sure how this is handled for other manufacturers.
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 23:25   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
The tyres were Bridgestone Turanza. So, does that mean, we may get either Goodyear or Bridgestone or is it something specific to city?
Tyres are normally not pre-determined. It depends on the batch of supplies that gets pushed to the production line. Only thing they will be doing selectively is the size of the tyre for the different variants.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 00:23   #70
BHPian

How is the Head light throw and spread ? Does the diesel engine has a mid range punch for high speed over takes ? My ecosport diesel disappoints me at times, when I need a surge in power and I downshift but nothing happens. Is Nexon diesel like ecosport diesel ?
Old 17th October 2017, 00:45   #71
BHPian

What a crazy car! Doesn't matter if you like it or not, you cant help but take a look!
I love the boldness of the design. Reminds me of the Nissan Juke:
Tata Nexon : Official Review-packshot_colorpicker_juke_naj_medium_update.png.ximg.m_12_m.smart.png

BTW is that a bit of rust at the weld seam?
Tata Nexon : Official Review-2017tatanexon60.jpg
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 00:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
How is the Head light throw and spread ?
I drove at night at Bangalore Mysore Road. I quite liked the headlight. No issues felt by me.
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 01:14   #73
BHPian

I'm glad the review went live today! Very nicely written! Logged in just to rate it 5 stars!

Today I went to kht motors to see Tata nexon. While I was waiting for an SA to give me the first impression of the nexon rather than see it myself, I got curious to see the Tiago standing closeby. I got in & the car seemed nice, but then a lady came & started grilling me asif I was unwelcome. I answered all her questions though I was feeling bad.

Anyway, sat waiting in the nexon passenger seat, but after 2 mins I walked out. Consoled myself while driving home. It seems like a good product, tomorrow I'll go to another dealer for a TD.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 17th October 2017 at 01:16.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 01:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
6. Auto transmission - Miss

11. Leather seats - Miss
To address point# 6, I think I read in the Nexon main thread that an AMT version is coming in 6-8 months.

As for point# 11, I feel a car from Nexon's segment will not come with leather seats, given the price point. However, if you are getting this car at the low end of your budget, you can always get the seats covered with good leather.
Old 17th October 2017, 01:54   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I wouldn't use the word "bleed". No manufacturer or any business for that matter will sell products at a loss. If that were the case, more sales would imply more loss to the company.

I would take the comments made by management with a pinch of salt. They may have meant that the profits per car aren't as per expectations or are way lower than Indica.

But i highly doubt the fact that each car is making a loss. Profit margins for newly launched products are very minimal and can pick up only if the volumes increase.

Bleeding is exactly what happens when an organization cannot get the anticipated returns back and neither are they making profits to the tune which they can reinvest. Management tried to fool earlier now this management is being transparent because of this they want to go private (off stock exchange) so that they can do business restructuring which is at present hindered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks