Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2017, 04:22   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Booked the Diesel XZ+ Dual Tone Moroccan Blue. Concord Motors says that it will take at least 2 months for delivery. I have two questions to experts here
1. Should I wait till January manufactured model (so when I sale it ,it fetches better value)
2. Any pointers to Insurance quotes online so I can bargain on this with TATA Concord motors. Insurance is quoted as Rs:37722 which I think is on higher side.
dbaapps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 05:20   #77
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review guys! Rated a well deserved 5 stars. I am very impressed with the overall value proposition of the Nexon given the price and the features. I am also impressed how throughly engineered this thing is - good ride and handling, good braking, good stability and good engines - fundamentally right and much more important in my eyes than gimmiky features. And this is exactly the difference between Mahindra and Tata now a days. Tata is trying to erase their turbulent past with throughly engineered, well designed and well priced products while Mahindra is just flooding the market with products, half styled and poorly engineered resting on their past laurels and reputation which is surprising given Mahindra outdid themselves with the XUV500.

I really hope that Nexon does well for Tata. It also bodes well for our domestic car manufacturing with the IP learned while developing the car in the country. Here's wishing them all the best.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 05:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post

2. Any pointers to Insurance quotes online so I can bargain on this with TATA Concord motors. Insurance is quoted as Rs:37722 which I think is on higher side.

I recently bought the Hexa and helped a friend buy insurance for the Duster. We compared policies on policybachat.com, policybazaar.com, Bajaj and Royal Sundaram. In both cases, Royal Sundaram gave the best quotes.
su_spatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 07:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

I thought Nexon has adjustable head rests at the rear in XT and XZ variants. I was wrong, here is XT interior which shows fixed head rest at the rear

XT variant is pointless. They should have given front fog lamps, rear wiper, and adjustable rear head rests in XT.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th October 2017 at 07:10.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 08:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Could you please reply to the following queries :
  1. Does the less-than-perfect roads means roads with small/big potholes or uneven roads ?
  2. By jiggly in low speeds, you mean to say the ride will be bumpy and not confidence inspiring ?
I would rather test drive the car myself and ascertain some of these aspects which I personally believe are very subjective to the reviewers. I have often seen that the perception of ride quality, steering feedback, brake effectiveness etc have been different between how I see it and how some others might see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post

11. Leather seats - Miss
I often wonder what is this fascination for leather among a lot of us in India - a largely tropical country ! Tata motors offers the among the best quality of fabric seats even in its base variants, as per my experience with the Storme and Bolt. And Fabric is best suited for our climate. Anyway, to each his own !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
What a crazy car! Doesn't matter if you like it or not, you cant help but take a look!
I love the boldness of the design. Reminds me of the Nissan Juke:
Absolutely - good comparison. I see the Juke on and off here in Singapore and what a design it is ! although I wonder if the interior space is good enough !
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 08:09   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Booked the Diesel XZ+ Dual Tone Moroccan Blue. Concord Motors says that it will take at least 2 months for delivery. I have two questions to experts here
1. Should I wait till January manufactured model (so when I sale it ,it fetches better value)
Congrats on the booking !

Regarding the manufacture date .. let's look at a situation, where you are in the market to buy a used car. Would you like to buy a well maintained car, or a car that has newer manufacture date ?
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 09:35   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
This seems like a deal breaker to me. I was looking forward to replace my 6 year old Vento and Nexon is a strong contender.
But now I am worried as we have a Tiago at home and its very bumpy in uneven roads or small potholes. I was hoping Nexon will be in the lines of Hexa. I had TDed Hexa AT and loved it.

We still haven't got the TD of the Nexon as TD vehicle is not available in the Trivandrum showroom.[/list]
Being familiar with the roads of trivandrum and having driven extensively across Kerala, i can vouch for the fact that the Nexon rides better than a Vento which has its stiff 'handling-tuned' suspension lineage of the Polo though slightly better. It is only in comparison to other Tata cars that the moderator feels(IMHO) that the Nexon rides stiffer which is true as the new benchmark from TML is Hexa which as per our mod GTO, is second only to the S class in terms of ride quality.

Please go to Trivandrum motors (not the best of Tata dealerships though but still a shade better than the erstwhile 'Mohandas Motors') one of these days when they have a test drive vehicle and pls drive around to find out for yourself. I bet your perceptions will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I thought Nexon has adjustable head rests at the rear in XT and XZ variants. I was wrong, here is XT interior which shows fixed head rest at the rear
There is no XZ variant. After XT, there is an XZ+ which has adjustable head rests in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
XT variant is pointless. They should have given front fog lamps, rear wiper, and adjustable rear head rests in XT.
+1 to that. XT looks lost and confused in between XM and XZ+

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th October 2017 at 11:01. Reason: Merging back to back posts
SAE40 in veins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 10:26   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Dual tones are in demand. Ultimately you may end up getting Jan manufactured model. But it all depends on how long you are planning to keep the car. For me, if all works well I'm planning to keep the car for more than 7 years, therefore I'm not bothered about re-sale value right now.

I was quoted 26,500/- by Royal Sundaram for Diesel XZ+ Single Tone. PM me, and I can send you the contact who sent me the Royal Sundaram quotation.
Old 17th October 2017, 10:41   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Banglore guys who want a TD - see if you can get one from Prerana @ BTM Layout or Concorde dairy circle, and take the car on the road between Kuvempu nagar bus stand and Silk board. The condition of the road is so awesome that it will give an excellent picture of the suspensions & comfort of the Nexon.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 10:43   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
It is only in comparison to other Tata cars that the moderator feels(IMHO) that the Nexon rides stiffer
Nope. Even viewed independently, the Nexon's low speed ride isn't satisfactory. I drove through the bumpy lanes of Bandra at night and sat on the front as well as back seat. It was rather bumpy between 20 - 40 kmph. And you are always aware of the kind of road you're driving on at low speeds.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 10:58   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope. Even viewed independently, the Nexon's low speed ride isn't satisfactory. I drove through the bumpy lanes of Bandra at night and sat on the front as well as back seat. It was rather bumpy between 20 - 40 kmph. And you are always aware of the kind of road you're driving on at low speeds.
Are you entirely certain? Did you check the tyre pressure on the car you tested? I drove the Nexon at Thrissur, Kerala over a patch of road where I've driven my Hexa extensively (and this patch is quite bumpy and terrible on lesser cars), and the Nexon really did feel like a shrunken down Hexa in comparison. Of course, it didn't feel as planted, but that would be due to the physically larger diameter of the Hexa's tyres. At no point did it feel uncomfortable or noticeably different from the ride of the Hexa.

And this comparison is with my Hexa's tyres inflated to the revised guidelines of 35 psi for the front and 36 for the rear.
rshnvjy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:02   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
Did you check the tyre pressure on the car you tested?
Drove 2 Nexons and yes, Aditya did ensure that the air pressure was correct. It was quite the discussion topic between us. If a car is bumpy, then we absolutely make sure to check the tyre PSIs.

Tata took the car too high and had to stiffen things up to give it acceptable road manners. Personally, I'd have been happier with 15 mm lesser ground clearance in exchange for a cushier city ride.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:06   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drove 2 Nexons and yes, Aditya did ensure that the air pressure was correct. It was quite the discussion topic between us. If a car is bumpy, then we absolutely make sure to check the tyre PSIs.
Quite the mystery then, I suppose. I reiterate, I drove the Nexon immediately after having dropped off the Hexa for service and then hopped back in the Hexa later that day and I was just stating what I felt. And this was the diesel, so maybe it was a bit heavier than the lightweight all-aluminium petrol (more so over the front wheels). Even the Hexa's ride has an inherent stiffness to it at low speeds but at the same time is sufficiently cushioned.

As the time goes, maybe more Nexon owners and drivers can shed some light on this. Thanks!
rshnvjy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:22   #89
BHPian

I think I shall reserve my judgement about the bumpy ride after this apt suggestion by condor. The road is a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Banglore guys who want a TD - see if you can get one from Prerana @ BTM Layout or Concorde dairy circle, and take the car on the road between Kuvempu nagar bus stand and Silk board. The condition of the road is so awesome that it will give an excellent picture of the suspensions & comfort of the Nexon.
And to hark back to the earlier TD that I had done, the ride quality was smoother and there weren't any visible bumps or shakes then. I must mention that this TD was on proper tarred roads, one around Lalbagh-Shantinagar and Double Road (offered by Prerana Lalbagh Road).
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:37   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
I reiterate, I drove the Nexon immediately after having dropped off the Hexa for service and then hopped back in the Hexa later that day and I was just stating what I felt.
Check the air pressure . Dealers are known to play tricks on test-drive cars and I wouldn't be surprised if some are running lower PSIs just to conceal the bumpy low speed ride.

Off-topic: Back in the day, one car dealer had a Petes powerbox installed on his TD car!
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed