Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 23:24   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Couldn't they have done something less tongue-in-cheek, less-flashy and less-sarcastic? It is a good attempt at humor but one needs to understand that there are buyers out there who'd prefer a clean video comparison between these three cars. Probably the OP wanted to take a leaf out of the Grand Tour book of humorous car insights.

But again, what the OP says in the end is what mirrors something that's been told time and again on this thread; Nexon remains an all-rounder package. The next few days should be interesting considering the festival buzz and the numbers should reflect in October sales.
For those buyers we have Autoportal and the 5'10" guys clean and plain reviews. BTW I like the way both present and end up watching both their reviews for the same product.

IMO, Dino does some of the most comprehensive and unbiased reviews on YT.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 00:19   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Wow! I am not sure he is exactly unbiased but absolutely no mention of 6 speed GB of Nexon or pathetic build quality of Brezza! Btw Interesting comments from public on that video.
He does mention the 6 speed gearbox as a significant benefit, combined with the light clutch, at 08:30. "Pathetic" build quality is subjective but he does say the Brezza has flimsy bits while the Nexon is solid overall (12:40) - the niggles pointed out in the Nexon would definitely take some points away w.r.t. build quality. And adjectives such as blah, boring are reserved for the Brezza.

I found it to be a balanced comparison that brought out the strong and weak points of both cars. Even the verdict isn't black and white.
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 00:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
He does mention the 6 speed gearbox as a significant benefit, combined with the light clutch, at 08:30. "Pathetic" build quality is subjective but he does say the Brezza has flimsy bits while the Nexon is solid overall (12:40) - the niggles pointed out in the Nexon would definitely take some points away w.r.t. build quality. And adjectives such as blah, boring are reserved for the Brezza.

I found it to be a balanced comparison that brought out the strong and weak points of both cars. Even the verdict isn't black and white.
I know a few Brezza owners who bought the car just for the Vitara name! The Grand Vitara though a flop had a Premium tag attached to it. I dont blame them, If MSIL re launched Ciaz as a Kishazhi Krezza, I am sure it will sell twice of what it does today.

The Brezza isnt a bad deal any way, the interiors definitely is bland but is a well balanced product, just like most other Marutis.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 07:13   #124
Senior - BHPian

My Nexon has no niggles whatsoever. Everything works as they're supposed to.

Drives us around in total comfort in Bangalore city. Yesterday, we crossed to Tamilnadu to buy a few Diwali goodies and the drive was the best part. The service back up and road side assistance are yet to be tested, but I'm totally loving the product.

Mileage has climbed slightly to 16KMPL from 14KMPL. Should settle around 18 after first service. This is our first diesel and the transition from petrol has been flawless, as I was wary of the turbo lag associated with the oil burners.

Approaching 1000Kms but still did not get enough time to fix the number plate, making do with a paper stick on. Should get it done today.

Finally 'We have the famed 'German' build with a smooth 'Japanese' engine' combo in one product! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nex.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 07:24   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My Nexon has no niggles whatsoever. Everything works as they're supposed to.
Even the Brezza, or any other product for that matter comes with its own set of niggles in the beginning. Brezza had its share during the initial period of its launch.

But glad to know there are none in yours. Lets wait for owners to clock more kilometres and hope for the best! Good choice in colour though. Looks more mature as opposed to the other shades. Good luck with your ownership! Please draft a review thread if you get time!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 19th October 2017 at 07:26.
Old 19th October 2017, 08:17   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Approaching 1000Kms but still did not get enough time to fix the number plate, making do with a paper stick on. Should get it done today.
Spotted a Glasgow grey Nexon near Hebbal day before yesterday and I was thinking it may be your car, but the one I spotted had the number plate fixed. I was

If I were to buy a Nexon, Glasgow Grey would certainly be the colour of choice. Looks good with just about enough funky elements and not going overboard with the design as it appears in other colours.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 08:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally 'We have the famed 'German' build with a smooth 'Japanese' engine' combo in one product! LOL
To add to that... from an Indian manufacturer.

The headlights look wicked in this pic. The black partition for the blinkers above seen in combination with the projector ring gives that look

Last edited by narayan : 19th October 2017 at 08:39.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 10:15   #128
BHPian

Test drove the Nexon diesel yesterday. Here are a few impressions gathered :

Positives :
  • 6th Cog & good gear ratios. This in itself is very important.
  • Very tractable from lower RPMs. City friendly power delivery.
  • Ultra useful FLAT dashboard ! That too very good plastic.
  • High/Commanding seating position. Rear-Seat backrest angle was good.
  • Chiller A/c, typical of TATA.
  • Bottle Holders - Ask any Linea owner the value of these!
  • Light EPS seemed sufficiently well tuned - & this is coming from a Linea owner.
  • Excited & optimistic sales executive - untypical of Tata, good improvement!
  • The Voice Commands worked with no hitches, at all.
  • The XM variant seems VFM.

There are heaps of other positives as mentioned in this thread. I want to be balanced, so here are a few things that can be improved

Negatives :
  • The flared wheel arches are excessively large, as-if meant just to get the comparative breadth numbers favourable on their side. See, car simply looks like a nice large hatch, calling it a Mega-Hatch would've been so much more apt. I blame this on public as much.
  • Glove box fouls with passenger knees & opening is too small when passenger seat is occupied.
  • Fit & finish at door pockets was not smoothly done.
  • Brakes lacked bite, I felt so despite being a defensive driver.
  • Ride felt bumpy over city roads & potholes, compared to my Linea.
  • Rear knee-room is good, but Ingress & Egress is not ergonomically designed well : One is hampered by a narrow door-sill & low roof-exit-line (one needs to bend the head to get out).
  • I was told XM doesn't get a rear-seat hand-rest at all ! Really? in a 9.2Lakh rupee car ?
  • Music system didn't really sound all that mind-blowing. Moreover one practically won't be able to retrofit after market options if one goes for the mid variant. I'm not saying its impossible, but a standard dashboard with 2-DIN slot could've been designed for lower variants.
  • Front Door-Side Air Conditioning vents did not close beyond 70% like the center ones that closed fully.
  • Thick A Pillar, Thick C Pillar, luckily the top end has a rear dynamic reverse camera.
  • Does Tata NOT have a vendor for auto-dimming mirrors ? Not even their flagship Hexa has a manual one! And why only basic IRVM in the XM variant ? Even in the Nano a D/N mirror is provided!
  • Power-Window Switches : Only driver gets one touch down. And NO one touch up for the driver.
  • The XM doesn't get rear de-mister!
  • IMPO Variants above XM are not VFM.

SE was pushing top variant, but spending additional 2.2lakhs for the XZ over the XM did NOT justify the difference.

P.S. : Nexon is being manufactured at Ranjangaon Plant, FIAT seems to have no plans for India but I wish they had this engine in Linea! It'd be the PERFECT sedan!

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 19th October 2017 at 10:37.
WorkingGuru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 12:00   #129
BHPian

Awesome review Aditya & Vid6639, Kudos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The 1.5L engine moves off the mark quite easily. It's very tractable & can take off even in second gear without any throttle input! Power delivery is fairly linear and driveability is overall good. This is a city-friendly engine that is superior to the Vitara Brezza's 1.3L at low rpm.
I didn't want my question to be lost in the flood of messages as I knew many members would have been waiting for this review. So here it goes, how does the engine perform on a highway compared to Breeza? Is there is a significant difference? Which one would you choose?
Old 19th October 2017, 12:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Well spotted. Yes, that was me. They did fix it at Aadya Motors, Hebbal but I was not fine with it. Yes, the Grey is stunning - to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Spotted a Glasgow grey Nexon near Hebbal day before yesterday and I was thinking it may be your car, but the one I spotted had the number plate fixed.

Last edited by ajmat : 19th October 2017 at 12:30.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 12:15   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
So here it goes, how does the engine perform on a highway compared to Breeza? Is there is a significant difference? Which one would you choose?
Check out the Zigwheels Nexon vs. Brezza comparo on youtube, it covers city and highway performance of both cars. In short for Highway, Brezza appears to be better candidate due to revhappy nature of 1.3 engine and lighter weight of Brezza

Last edited by born_free : 19th October 2017 at 12:17.
born_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 12:41   #132
Senior - BHPian

Indian manufacturer indeed! You can literally see how they've learnt and grown over the years, with NEXON. The black partition/ring makes it look like an evil hawk/eagle from this angle. Was intrigued when I saw it in my camera display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
To add to that... from an Indian manufacturer.
The headlights look wicked in this pic.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 19th October 2017 at 13:14. Reason: fixing quote
Old 19th October 2017, 12:59   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
FIAT seems to have no plans for India but I wish they had this engine in Linea! It'd be the PERFECT sedan!
This engine belongs to TATA Motors only. FCA would not be getting access to it - even if they decide to make some new cars for India. TATA would have obviously learned a lot from the 1.3 Multijet and the new engine seems impressive indeed.

OT: Engine is not a limiting factor for FCA anymore since the 1.6 is (being) localized for exports of the Compass and the upcoming Renegade for India.

Quote:
Well spotted. Yes, that was me. They did fix it at Aadya Motors, Hebbal but I was not fine with it. Yes, the Grey is stunning - to say the least.
Nice. I was on my bike (A Kawasaki Versys 650) and was checking your car from the front and side angles and even overtook for getting a peak at the front view, before traffic allowed me to get a quick move on.

The shine on the car felt deep and I was thinking it could be yours because you posted about the work done at 3M, RMV layout.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th October 2017 at 13:04.
Old 19th October 2017, 13:37   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Btw, the way the car is parked - at an angle - .. Are you testing the stablity of the car when parked ??
( reminds me of the Storme experience event near Banaswadi about 5 yrs ago when it was launched. The driver took the Storme and parked it on a 60 degree angle, and demonstrated how it just holds ground, without toppling over. )
Old 19th October 2017, 13:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/crazy+driver.html"
CrAzY dRiVeR[/url]] The shine on the car felt deep and I was thinking it could be yours because you posted about the work done at 3M, RMV layout.
Oh, the heavy rains took away that 3M finish in a day. I had this Meguiar's G6107 past wax in storage which I used two days back. It's formulated for white cars (since our previous car was white), but 3M said no harm in using it and to go ahead. The car looks nicely 'lubed' with this premium wax, and has lasted so far. I'll get the one for dark cars in a month or two.

Will watch out for you the next time.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th October 2017 at 18:32. Reason: Quote fixed.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed