Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2017, 18:19   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And finally, the Nexon XE (base) variant in Silver shade.
Is it the angle of the picture or the Silver Patti running across the dashboard is also stripped amidst other features?
Old 21st October 2017, 20:13   #152
BHPian

Everything fine with the XE but I have a question, how will one put on an aftermarket single or double DIN player in there, doesn't look like enough space.
Or where exactly does Tata want the user to put it?
Any idea about the wiring provided?
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:27   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope. We confirmed with Tata - there is no drawer under the passenger seat.
That's a bad miss. I have it in the Vista and it really helps in storing items away from prying eyes. Even in case of a break-in, most wouldn't know there's a tray under the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Is it the angle of the picture or the Silver Patti running across the dashboard is also stripped amidst other features?
No silver line. It's plain.
Old 21st October 2017, 21:51   #154
BHPian

Am yet to decide between Nexon and TUV 300. The below feature comparison across Nexon variants is part of the homework, hope it might help someone:
Attached Images

deetee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 22:52   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRanger View Post
BTW owners can you describe how well does the Nexon accelerate for quick overtaking manuvers?
I'm delighted with the Nexon's acceleration. Overtaking is a cinch. You wont be disappointed. Power delivery is very linear and you don't feel the turbo lag that prominent - in comparison to Brezza, which I have driven extensively.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd October 2017 at 07:19. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 00:24   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Am yet to decide between Nexon and TUV 300. The below feature comparison across Nexon variants is part of the homework, hope it might help someone:

Well its upto you what are your needs. Saw your post on the TUV300 thread. Let me summarize a few points:

TUV300 for:
- 7 seat configuration
- Very Large Boot Space
- Abuse friendly car (most M&M cars are)
- Very Spacious Cabin
- Large fuel tank of 60 liters vs 44 of Nexon

Nexon for:
- 4 cylinder 1.5 engine vs TUV300 3 cylinder
- 6 speed manual transmission
- Better ground clearance 209 vs 184
- Lighter than TUV300 hence better economy
- Well put interiors and the amazing Harmon Kardon system
- Better ride quality than TUV300

* on a side note if your comparing XZ+ and T8, Nexon is to go for if you do not need a 7 seater. Price difference is marginal and you get the top of the line Nexon XZ+ compared to T8 which misses out few features.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 01:01   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Am yet to decide between Nexon and TUV 300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Nexon for:
- Lighter than TUV300 hence better economy
Thanks for this tit-bit, never knew this !

If this comparison on the first page is true, then the TUV-300 outweighs the Nexon by 285 Kgs !

It's a toss up between "safety" or "features", that's quite a conundrum.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Do NOT post with sarcasm on Team-BHP. Final warning
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:45   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
~
TUV weighs more because it is tradditional ladder frame chassis. And it does not mean it is safe car specially if its passenger cocoon is not designed for this. I do not have good safty feeling in all mahindra cars except XUV 5OO.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:46   #159
BHPian

Quote:
~
In this case those 285 kgs on TUV are coming from old school ladder frame chassis against the monocoque construction of Nexon.

If you take out weight difference between monocoque and ladder frame chassis, then I'm quite sure that Nexon will outweigh (literal meaning as well as phrase stands true here ) the TUV .

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd October 2017, 03:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
TUV weighs more because it is tradditional ladder frame chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
In this case those 285 kgs on TUV are coming from old school ladder frame chassis against the monocoque construction of Nexon.
Many thanks for pointing out the technicalities folks, I guess I really 'am "unsavvy", you know, because of the kind of cars I buy

This is probably for this thread & this is probably my last post on this tangent, but I would be much obliged if the "experts" could clarify if, by the technicalities nuanced above, the XUV-500 & the Innova are safer than the Safari & the Hexa ?
~

Last edited by im_srini : 22nd October 2017 at 03:42.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for pointing out the technicalities folks, I guess I really 'am "unsavvy", you know, because of the kind of cars I buy
No, you are unsavvy because you don't seem to appreciate the fact that the ladder on frame cars will weigh more than monocoque ones. Either you simply look at the specification and conclude that one car is heavier than the other or you try to find where the extra weight is coming from. The choice is yours.
prakash_ajp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:11   #162
BHPian

Quote:
This is probably for this thread & this is probably my last post on this tangent, but I would be much obliged if the "experts" could clarify if, by the technicalities nuanced above, the XUV-500 & the Innova are safer than the Safari & the Hexa ?
~
The safety of a particular car has absolutely no correlation with the type of construction (monocoque or ladder frame) being used. That being said, however, as a rule of thumb, monocoque bodies can be considered safer since the entire car is constructed from a single component or ‘shell’. In a ladder frame configuration, the main frame is bolted on below the cabin, thereby resulting in some compromise in stiffness. This is also the reason why a monocoque chassis car handles better than one employing a ladder frame chassis as it has inherent stiffness built in to the construction.

But (and this is a big but), none of the above factors guarantee the safety of the car as everything has to do with how the particular car is designed. From the cars you mentioned, only the XUV5OO has a monocoque (transverse engine) layout. Rest all have body-on-frame (ladder frame) designs with longitudinally mounted engines. Among those, I can explain the safety aspect with an example : if we consider the old Safari, launched in the 90’s, it came with a chassis which is significantly older and made with older technologies than the modern hydroformed X2 platform used in the Safari Storme, Aria and Hexa and therefore is relatively more unsafe than its modern counterparts. This may be attributed to many factors, though not limited to things like flex, torsional rigidity and so on. Modern ladder frame cars like the Hexa also handle a lot better and feel more cohesive and ‘car-like’ unlike say, an older design like a Mahindra Commander.

Ladder frame designs tend to be heavier than their equivalent monocoque designs simply because it is a more inefficient way of constructing a car and modern monocoque SUVs are almost as or even more capable than their older ladder frame equivalents. The older Land Rover Discovery had a very heavy ladder frame chassis (weighed almost 3 tons), but the newer monocoque model weighs almost a ton less and is as capable as the old brute.

I could go into more detail but it would go grossly off topic here in this Nexon discussion.

Last edited by rshnvjy : 22nd October 2017 at 11:16. Reason: Corrected a typo
rshnvjy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:40   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tata has tried to differentiate the Nexon from the crowd of compact SUVs with a funky design.

Which is all good. Still feel they went overboard with it. There are elements of the car I like and some that I just can't stand. The rear looks weird. Looks like they had a scenario at the design phase where they could not agree with anything and finally ended up with this. The front end looks a little bulbous, especially the corners where you have the fog lamps. It is far from what they achieved with the Tigor which in my books has been well executed. They've also jacked it up a bit more than they should have.

Quote:
Tata Motors tells us this was a big challenge as the designers wanted a flush-fitting camera that didn't have an entire assembly sticking out.

Brilliant execution.

Quote:
Massive rear bumper extends all the way up to the tail-lights.

I wonder if it is a split unit. The painted and unpainted section (Bottom) suggest that they might be.

Quote:
See that key sign?

This should have been at the starter button or some place else that is more visible. Most folks do not read the manual. While the chances of the battery going dead on the key fob is rare, when you do experience this, it is going to leave owners stranded for a while. I wonder if the infotainment system indicates where to place the fob. Will be really cool of it does.

Quote:
Opening handle of the sliding lid falls below the center armrest - a design flaw

True and I am also not sure how they could have achieved the flap opening the right way, if one considers the armrest being a partial cover for the storage compartment.

Quote:
Sticker with the recommended air pressure levels is pasted near the driver's seat.

For a change the numbers are acceptable.

Quote:
At higher speeds, the steering inspires confidence.
Wow. A TATA with a good EPS steering unit is something that I never expected.

I have to say that TATA have been nailing it off late. I like most of these new generation TATA cars. I drove the Tiago and quite liked the car and the Hexa is brilliant. The interiors are far more appealing than what you find in a Honda or Maurti Suzuki. Even the base line Tiago has an excellent sound system. Never thought TATA could do good engines, especially a 3 pot turbo petrol motor. TATA's view of what a car should be has come a long way from the days they built the Sierra and Estate.

Excellent review.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd October 2017 at 12:44.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 13:28   #164
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the way people modify their cars I do not think Nexon design is over the top.
For people who likes conservative designs can opt for silver or white, grey is the balanced color, and blue/red for those who like over the top exterior.

Take a look at this modified Hexa. As per TBHP standard it is a best candidate for W&W thread, but percentage of likes this video got tells other way (almost 80%).

Old 22nd October 2017, 14:23   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Zigwheels and Kartikeya Singhee do a Nexon vs. Brezza. A clean review unlike the one from Powerdrift. The verdict will surely polarize opinion.
Not able to understand the reviewer claiming the Brezza can give 25kpl on the highway and 24kpl in the city. Surely not possible. I drove a Ritz Vdi with a FGT version of the Multijet and it is surely impossible to get these numbers in a heavier car like the Brezza.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd October 2017 at 15:18. Reason: video link removed
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks