Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 15:37   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looking at the way people modify their cars I do not think Nexon design is over the top:..

Take a look at this modified Hexa. As per TBHP standard it is a best candidate for W&W thread, but percentage of likes this video got tells other way (almost 80%).
Yikes!! Looks like a Mahindra product now, only the bucktoothed front grill is missing. Some people can't digest simple and classy, they need to go loud and whacky to breathe!
Nexon is a slightly funky design, however its beautifully executed, for a small hatchback to pose as a suv it gets just the right design elements. Was it not loud, it would have ended up looking like the super ugly etios cross, a vista with cladding

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd October 2017 at 20:03. Reason: Trimmed quoted post in the best interests of readability
Old 22nd October 2017, 16:31   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Take a look at this modified Hexa. As per TBHP standard it is a best candidate for W&W thread, but percentage of likes this video got tells other way (almost 80%).
Seems like the owner is so much floored by the performance and handling of hexa that he has plastered BMW M stripes all over the car. He has labelled even the real wiper and power window switches as M Sport. Or he didn't have the money to buy a BMW M sport? I think even the sticker guy would have run out of places to put further stickers!! Anyways except alloys and fogs rest all is not tasteful.
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:10   #168
BHPian

Thank you for summarizing the practical differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
TUV300 for:
- 7 seat configuration
- Very Large Boot Space
- Abuse friendly car (most M&M cars are)
- Very Spacious Cabin
- Large fuel tank of 60 liters vs 44 of Nexon
Not a true 7 seater but the boot space with seats folded is enticing/but only marginal more than Nexon. As for being abuse freindly and spaciousness, I believe Nexon is almost that much capable. Just that the difference is front wheel drive and rear wheel drive. Fuel tank part can come into play in very long drives (but again Nexon is more fuel efficient than TUV, so practically that 16ltr diff may come down to some 10ltrs only)

Quote:
Nexon for:
- 4 cylinder 1.5 engine vs TUV300 3 cylinder
- 6 speed manual transmission
That is one key polarising factor for me. 4 cylinders and 6 speed transmission changes driving experience and FE significantly.

Quote:
Nexon for:
- Better ground clearance 209 vs 184
- Lighter than TUV300 hence better economy
184mm GC itself is plenty for me. So anything above that is a bonus.

Quote:
- Well put interiors and the amazing Harmon Kardon system
- Better ride quality than TUV300
Yes, I agree about the interiors part, TUV interiors are not bad, at that price it is missing a few niceties - but not something that I can't live with.
I , now, drive a 10 year old 1400cc Indica Petrol. So, coming from that either of them offers indiscernible plush ride

Quote:
on a side note if your comparing XZ+ and T8, Nexon is to go for if you do not need a 7 seater. Price difference is marginal and you get the top of the line Nexon XZ+ compared to T8 which misses out few features.
Yep! Thats the confusion now, if I stretch out to the topend variants, Nexon is more VFM and soul pampering than TUV. What still pulls my heart to TUV is the "Lord of the road" seating position. The armrests are very well placed for the driver and am sure in a long drive, TUV driver seat is far more comfortable than Nexon. Other than that the kingsize 215/75 rubber is so yummy on the TUV. I am not a big fan of low profile, large rimmed wheels.

To be frank, heart says TUV and mind says Nexon. Lets see which one wins over other

Last edited by deetee : 22nd October 2017 at 19:15.
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:21   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Not able to understand the reviewer claiming the Brezza can give 25kpl on the highway and 24kpl in the city. Surely not possible. I drove a Ritz Vdi with a FGT version of the Multijet and it is surely impossible to get these numbers in a heavier car like the Brezza.
He clearly mentioned that the fuel efficiency is under standard test conditions. My 3 months old Brezza is giving around 18 Kmpl in city 22Kmpl on highway.
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:47   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post
He clearly mentioned that the fuel efficiency is under standard test conditions. My 3 months old Brezza is giving around 18 Kmpl in city 22Kmpl on highway.

Well city to city drive also differs. For me I commute to office daily by my diesel Eritiga, office distance is barely 2 kms, i hardly get chance to slot in 3rd gear and my F.E is 13-14 kms.

One staying in city with better routes for his commute and have chance to drive in higher gears will get better fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Thank you for summarizing the practical differences.

Yep! Thats the confusion now, if I stretch out to the topend variants, Nexon is more VFM and soul pampering than TUV. What still pulls my heart to TUV is the "Lord of the road" seating position.
To be frank, heart says TUV and mind says Nexon. Lets see which one wins over other

You're welcome, in the end you are going to be in the vehicle driving it and its you're who should be pleased on the machine you have put your hard earned money. Take your time, as its important you know on what you are plonking your money in. Would advice take your family along for a test drive may be they end up easing out your decision.

You buy anyone of these, they will surely put smile on your face.
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:13   #171
BHPian

Quote:

That butterfly thingy hanging from IRVM was best part of the mods

Last edited by theMAG : 23rd October 2017 at 03:54. Reason: Trimming quoted post in the best interests of readability.
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:12   #172
NPX
BHPian

found this on Facebook.

the man himself with Nexon Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20171022225418507_com.facebook.katana.png
NPX is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:18   #173
BHPian

Amazing review! I test drove Nexon diesel couple of weeks ago and can relate the review to echo the sentiments I felt. On the suspension part, yes the Nexon is indeed quite stiff compared to say Zest. At low speeds, Zest manages to flatten the road while in Nexon, one can definitely feel the undulations. However, the benefit of this stiff ride is that Nexon does not handle like a boat which Zest does.

In this sense, Nexon is certainly a departure from traditional Tata values. Nexon is designed for 4 passengers and has stiff ride both of which are not associated with Tata cars.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:20   #174
BHPian

Took a very short TD of the Revotorq from TATA Access in Mount Road.

The Nexon is an impressive package at the right price. Though I think the variant and feature mapping could have been better.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_133722.jpg

Interiors:

The interior is one of the strong points in favour of the Nexon compared to the competition. Part quality and fit & finish are better than the Ecosport and the Brezza. There is a premium feel to the interiors that is missing in competition. The seat fabrics offer a nice feel both to look at and touch.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_133521.jpg

Space:

The Nexon looks cramped from the outside but is engineered so well that the space is on par with the Brezza and better than the Ecosport. One sits lower than the Ecosport though. Boot space is adequate but Ecosport seems to have more space due to the height.

Engine:

It was a short 4 KM drive in City mode, hence couldn't experience the engine completely. It delivers fantastic drivability unlike the DDiS which is plagued with lag and the NVH levels are just a notch below Hyundai. On the outside I feel the TDCi is noisier and also on the inside the Nexon feels better insulated.

Ergonomics:

Ergonomics are spot on. I feel the center console housing the armrest and cup holders are a bit higher than usual and hence the seat belt operation becomes cumbersome. Otherwise everything falls in place. The bolstered seat hugs you in place and gives a nice feel. The steering wheel should have been a size bigger. The sun glass holder should have had a wider opening and I feel this is a better design than what is provided in the Ecosport.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_133856.jpg

The rear seats could have had better thigh support though it offers sufficient leg room. I had about 3 inches clearance with the driver seat in my driving position (I'm 5'11"). The 3rd passenger will feel so unwelcome, not only is the seat base designed to seat 2 but the seat back with the arm rest cut out isn't the place one would want to rest the back on. The rear seat has a comfortable recline angle and with the arm rest in position it would be a nice place to spend time over long distances.

The XM Variant:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_133651.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_132858.jpg

In case you are wondering, those are wheel covers designed to look like alloys, Maruti could help themselves here by learning a thing or two about making a wheel cover look like alloy and not otherwise.

The XM, XE & XT variants comes shod with 195/60 R16 Goodyear Assurance and the XZ+ comes with 215/60 R 16 Bridgestone Turanza

Tastefully designed key fob

Tata Nexon : Official Review-key-fob.jpg

Few more Pics...

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_135225.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_135504.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20171023_132853.jpg

The Experience:

I gave TD request in the Nexon website on 20th and I got a call in less than 15 seconds (no exaggeration, it is a fact). The request was routed to the nearest TATA dealership and I got the call on 21st. I couldn't take on 21st but the SA followed up with a couple of calls and said that I can take the TD on Sunday too. She diligently followed up and arranged the TD today.

I was greeted and immediately offered water, price list and brochure and was asked to wait for the test drive vehicle to be ready. Seems TATA motors are working on the dealership experience, it was exactly opposite when I went to TD the Zest in the same dealership.

Price List:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-pricelist.jpeg

Being a late entrant to the CSUV segment I feel TATA could have had a better variant and feature spread.

For instance XT could have had the features of XZ+ for a little extra. There could have been an XZ with the following add ons over XT:

# Sun roof (This alone would get the common man interested going by the WRV sales)
# Electrochromic IRVM
# Cruise control

XZ+ could have topped up the XZ with

# Side and curtain airbags,
# ESP
# Traction control.

These could have given advantage for the Nexon over competition. But then adding these would have been very difficult within the sub 10 lacs pricing considering the AMT variants in the future.

Good product that could help TATA motors regain the podium position. I'm guessing that TATA would be able to move 2.5 - 3K units of Nexon.

TATA Motors have indeed come a long way

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 23rd October 2017 at 16:50.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:39   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Not able to understand the reviewer claiming the Brezza can give 25kpl on the highway and 24kpl in the city. Surely not possible.

I drove a Ritz Vdi with a FGT version of the Multijet and it is surely impossible to get these numbers in a heavier car like the Brezza.
Among all auto publications ONLY Autocar India has been giving realistic / real world fuel efficiency figures both for cars and bikes..
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:17   #176

Hello!!
Yesterday I had a TD of Nexon and new S Cross.Nexon was quite impressive on all factors. As my friend wish to purchase this we zeroed on XM version which at 7.52 ex showroom ambala is quite a bargain.

On the other hand Maruti did nothing great in S cross. Only new grill and SHVS hybrid engine. 1.6 has been discontinued and same fiat engine is the only saviour for maruti from ritz to ciaz.

Maruti need to learn from TATA..
digitaldeepak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:42   #177
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Well, i have been following Nexon since more than an year, reading everything's possible and watching all the u-tube updates. This was to be my upgrade over EON after 6 years of ownership.

First look of the car and i felt a bit disappointed with the height proportion. Considering the ground clearance the car looked pressed from above, specially from the rear.

The ingress / egress on the rear seat too is a disappointment, specially in consideration for the senior members of family. High ground clearance and butch frame requires to foot to be lifted high and then go deep into the car to get in / out of the car.

Front of the car, though resembles the Bolt to a large extent, looks refreshing, perhaps I didn't see a lot of Bolts, that's why!

Side view impressed me quiet a lot, while the rear is OKish. I had same feeling for the EON as well but then had settled with it over a period of time. Glasgow Grey would be my personal choice for color as the white ceramic line looks best accentuated with this dark shade. Also the headlight image shared earlier for this Grey color is stunning.

The Interiors are great and the standards are being raised with every new car from the Tata stable. Really loved it. Seat positioning and comfort are to my liking.

The 1.2 revotron engine should perhaps be a safe bet by now, though the turbo-charge is newly engineered over Tigor.

Considering the price point, the top end Petrol (my choice of fuel based on my consumption) touches almost Rs 10L (here in Mumbai). Though this is my budget for a new car upgrade, I wonder what other options would come in this price range. Any suggestions friends? i need to start comparing before taking a decision.

A friend of mine made a radical suggestion to look at the new Verna. I understand the SX variant costs Rs 11.4L on road in Mumbai. I am completely surprised. A bigger car, better engine, matching features and definitely better looks as compared to Nexon for 1.4L more.

I know the comparison is completely skewed but still worthy. i have been a Hyundai owner and love their cars.

I20 too is an amazing car and I think within 10L, it too would come fully loaded and can be taken for comparison.

No test drives so far of any car. Need suggestions! as i read further, learn and discover more before my next purchase.

Would be waiting to read an ownership review as well, along with this thread that reveals more of the car.
Old 24th October 2017, 09:48   #178
BHPian

Hi,
Need to know process of waiting period for Tata Nexon (D) XT DT . I have booked it on 10-Oct-17 , I have been told by Concord person that waiting period is between two months to two and half month. He told me that he will get email from Tata once Vehicle is manufactured and then he will let me know about availability . Will this period will be less for Top end model ?
Old 24th October 2017, 10:02   #179
BHPian

Any XM variant owners on this thread? Can you please let me know if there's a provision for fitting after-market fog lamps in the car. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th October 2017, 10:15   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
Hi,
Need to know process of waiting period for Tata Nexon (D) XT DT . I have booked it on 10-Oct-17 , I have been told by Concord person that waiting period is between two months to two and half month. He told me that he will get email from Tata once Vehicle is manufactured and then he will let me know about availability . Will this period will be less for Top end model ?
Hi dbaapps, I booked XZ+ DT (Morracan Blue) Diesel on 4th October 2017 with Concorde Motors, Guindy - Chennai. I am in touch atleast once or twice on weekly basis with the Sales person. I checked with his team leader on 18th Oct and he said that it will easily take another month for me to get my car. He also said that, as of now the road approval is not yet granted for Nexon and the first batch itself is not yet registered and are resting in the yard. I sold my old car too soon and having a hard time without a car.

Last edited by satish_tns : 24th October 2017 at 10:17.
satish_tns is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed