Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 18:37   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Just curious. Is this car selling in good numbers that were expected? Its been quite a while now since launch. I drive on one of the routes of the city where you always start sighting newly launched cars in good numbers immediately.

Disappointingly, since launch, I have seen only ONE registered NEXON. I really hoped that this one worked wonders for TML. I still do. It doesn't have any match on the technical specifications, value for money front. Looks might be a hit or miss.
  1. It was a Silver coloured XZ+ that I saw.
  2. I saw it at night & this colour of the Nexon looked pretty boring at least in night. No WOW factor one hopes for with a newly launched car. The driver was either overly cautious with new car, or was a new driver & so was earning a lot of harsh treatment from other road users.
  3. The car was literally brand new but LHS red LED bits in the tail lamp cluster were non-functional. So poor manufacturing QC dripping still. Disaster of a PDI by the customer also.
  4. As I always felt - the car just gets along as a big hatch. It does NOT make you feel "ok I just passed an SUV" in any way. Neither a positive nor a negative for me. But a note for those who specifically want to own an SUV. It does not have that street cred.
  5. The rear may look wonderful to a designer's eye, or for customers in the showroom or in media prints. But I have to say it is a bit over-done when seen on the road. Funkyness is welcome of course. But it just looks too odd in the crowd & not in a pleasant way. Looks like a toy prototype.
  6. I was always wondering where I had seen those pretty uniquely placed slanted rear bumper safety reflectors. And they were pretty similar on the Chevy BEAT!!

Last edited by Reinhard : 28th November 2017 at 18:39.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 18:52   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Just curious. Is this car selling in good numbers that were expected? Its been quite a while now since launch. I drive on one of the routes of the city where you always start sighting newly launched cars in good numbers immediately.
For me it is totally opposite. My work route is just 2 kms from my house and I spot almost everyday a new Nexon, not only on my way to office but when i sit and look out of my house window and spot some on roads. Most common colors spotted were Red and Blue, blue colored cars had contrasting roof.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 19:08   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Disappointingly, since launch, I have seen only ONE registered NEXON.
[*]I saw it at night & this colour of the Nexon looked pretty boring at least in night. No WOW factor one hopes for with a newly launched car. The driver was either overly cautious with new car, or was a new driver & so was earning a lot of harsh treatment from other road users.[*]The car was literally brand new but LHS red LED bits in the tail lamp cluster were non-functional. So poor manufacturing QC dripping still. Disaster of a PDI by the customer also.[*]As I always felt - the car just gets along as a big hatch. It does NOT make you feel "ok I just passed an SUV" in any way. Neither a positive nor a negative for me. But a note for those who specifically want to own an SUV. It does not have that street cred.[/list]
I would agree on most of the observations except that the car does have WOW factor but not as an SUV. But I never found the WRV, the i20 Active or the Etios Cross to be even remotely close to an SUV. Bring Ecosport and Brezza into the picture and these 2 would be more SUV-ish than the Nexon.

While the rear is a miss due to the raised stance, the front has a lot of aggression similar to an SUV and gives it an imposing stance. To me, the Nexon resembles the Evoque a lot, which also has an aggressive look at the front, slanting coupe-ish side view and a hatch like rear.

I have seen multiple Nexons in Red, Blue (single and dual tone), Silver and White. I liked all the colors except the silver. The models were XM, XT and XZ+. Out of the 9 cars I have seen on the road till date, 1 was a TD vehicle (in blue DT) while the others were customer cars.

All my views above are drawn after following a blue XM for 30 mins on deadlocked road and on another instance, being followed by a red XM for a couple of kms in slow pace.
Old 28th November 2017, 19:27   #379
Senior - BHPian

Reinhard, the car is an attention magnet, trust me. Most people give it a double take. In fact its 7.15PM now (Quite dark) and two guys on an Activa just gave me the thumbs up on the car. It evokes that kind of response.

It's a rare day without anybody approaching me to roll down the windows and pop questions, mainly relating to fuel average and on-road price. I don't think any other new launch would achieve this rousing welcome. It feels and looks like a mini SUV for sure (in the league of Ecosport and Brezza - if you think these are toy prototypes as well). But, agree that silver doesn't suit this car at all.

I've seen a lot of Nexons on road, and they sold 6000 numbers last month, so it's selling for sure. Not encountered any QC issues either. Rear bumper safety reflectors resemble the Beat, not a bad thing as the Beat was stylish and quite ahead of its time. Used to be my favourite design those days.

Quote:
Just curious. Is this car selling in good numbers that were expected?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 19:47   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest spyshots from Pune, courtesy my friend AutoSpy:

XZA accompanied by the Tigor S, which had 3 alloys & one steel wheel.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-01711280045.jpg

A peek at the interiors of the XZA.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-201711280057.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 20:16   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure which route you're talking of, but am seeing more Nexons than Hexas on road. Majority of them are red dual tones and catch a lot of attention. Interiors look so luxurious from outside, that a brezza standing just behind had a decade old look about it.
With regards to it being an SUV or not, i honestly am not a fan of this segment where few folks refer even to an i20 active as SUVish.

Coming to PDI, tata USED to be behind in that segment but no more. Few owners here have almost zero niggles. It boils down to the dealership and applies to every brand out there.
They are working rigorously in keeping the dealerships on their toes as far as we owners can see. Given time, the few remaining poor dealers will definitely become better.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 20:56   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Reinhard, the car is an attention magnet, trust me. Most people give it a double take. In fact its 7.15PM now (Quite dark) and two guys on an Activa just gave me the thumbs up on the car. It evokes that kind of response.
Can't stress this enough. I have had number of people overtaking me just to check the car. In fact once I got angry and did a direct eye contact only to have the Creta driver give a thumbs up.
I had parked it once on the side at Upvan Lake at Thane and was sipping coconut water and saw a jogger stop, reverse jog, check the logo in disbelief, make that "wah kya baat" hand gesture to himself and continue jogging.

Just had my first service experience. Was nice. Did not get irritated. Although I am still not happy that Tata hasn't been able to procure my accessories one month after car delivery.
I had a customer feed back call from Tata Motors a few days back which got cut midway before even the first question was asked. Haven't got a call after that.

Last edited by bblost : 28th November 2017 at 21:48. Reason: fixed quote tag.
Kommandogerät is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 23:28   #383
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering why I didn't get any customer feedback call from Tata Motors yet. Isn't that important? Maruti/Hyundai would never take their customers so lightly.

Any idea if the guys mentioned on their website reply to emails at least? Such things make me kinda wary.

Anyways, the official accessories I got were foot-mats with Nexon branding on them. They have these grippy dimples (shoe heel gets stuck sometimes) and the rear one is one piece, like the 3M ones. Got mud flaps but wasn't happy that they screwed it on top of thick mud residue without water washing it first. For them it's like ticking a box - that flaps are installed. It can't be taken out and put back without causing larger holes - as god knows why the bumpers don't have retaining bolts, and these have to be force screwed in.

Need a car cover badly. The bumpers and floor boards have 3M protective film on them, so not keen on edge protectors. What are the accessories you need? Also, what was done during first service? Did they allow you to hang out while they were at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandogerät View Post
still not happy that Tata hasn't been able to procure my accessories. I had a customer feed back call from Tata Motors a few days back which got cut midway before even the first question was asked.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:58   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Autocar India has posted a comparison between Ecosport and Nexon. They highlight certain quality issues like malfunctioning central locking. They appreciate the Nexon for styling, ride and handling and interior space. However, they still vote Ecosport as the winner for a better petrol engine and quality.
Out of topic, did you guys realize the rear door for Ecosport opens toward the left? Bad idea for Indian market.
Old 29th November 2017, 13:46   #385
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering why I didn't get any customer feedback call from Tata Motors yet. Isn't that important? Maruti/Hyundai would never take their customers so lightly.

Any idea if the guys mentioned on their website reply to emails at least? Such things make me kinda wary.

Anyways, the official accessories I got were foot-mats with Nexon branding on them. They have these grippy dimples (shoe heel gets stuck sometimes) and the rear one is one piece, like the 3M ones. Got mud flaps but wasn't happy that they screwed it on top of thick mud residue without water washing it first. For them it's like ticking a box - that flaps are installed. It can't be taken out and put back without causing larger holes - as god knows why the bumpers don't have retaining bolts, and these have to be force screwed in.

Need a car cover badly. The bumpers and floor boards have 3M protective film on them, so not keen on edge protectors. What are the accessories you need? Also, what was done during first service? Did they allow you to hang out while they were at it?

I had a similar experience when the mudflaps were installed on my car 15 days after delivery. No cleaning was done before installing them.
The other accessories I am waiting for more than a month are the puddle lamp and scuff plates. Last time I asked, they said Tata has not launched them (and confirmed by the regional manager). That was funny because they were listed in the official accessories list posted else where in this forum. I wanted to cancel the order but I am curious to see how long can Tata stretch this. I have given myself a deadline of 5 years to get the accessories. This is based on my previous experience for sourcing the illuminated window winding switches for my Vista whose LEDs conked off in one month and which took 5 and half years to source.

I did not hang around for the service as unfortunately had quite some work to do. However the service wasn't wow. They added some oily streaks on the inside of the windshield. Added a few stains on the roof. Put some "Thanks " brown paper pieces on the floor. Made the steering wheel oily. Pushed the rear seatbelts under the seats.(Who needs them?). Lowered the pressure in the tyres. Ignored my complaint that the rear unlock switch is malfunctioning (no, it is not the child lock) and did a Mandovi service.
They also convinced me that the fact that pressing the boot unlock button on the remote key does not open the boot is how it should be.
Yes, they did fill the windshield washer fluid that they forget to add during delivery.
There was no payment to be made so I did not bother. However this Saturday I might go and pick their brains on the rear unlock switch.
Kommandogerät is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 15:40   #386
BHPian

No wash wipe on XZA.. Now that I call a miss. One can get other things installed but not wash and wipe. It is a must for a hatchback, specially on expressway in rains. Wonder why car makers skimp on such important features even on top end cars
Old 29th November 2017, 15:58   #387
BHPian

Enjoyed reading the write up. Thank you! Look forward to reading some more about it if you gentlemen get the chance to perhaps do a short trip and compare the Nexon with the Ecosport or Brezza?

ps - I do feel there were too many photographs for my liking and it made scrolling through on a laptop a wee bit cumbersome.
Old 29th November 2017, 17:13   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, can you please mention the niggles/issues reported by Nexon owners, as I seem to have missed them on TeamBHP. Or is this inference from other sites? I'm really curious to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
I have PMed you the message that RavenAvi had send. Please check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A PM defeats the purpose of an open forum. Please share information on the thread itself. A PM helps one person, while a public post helps thousands.

Thanks for the support & understanding
Moving to the relevant thread:

Best to hear it directly from the owners of the Nexon rather than me listing them, Sebring. Besides, I have been accused of spreading false stuff about Tata before from other members who chose not to believe my information (related post).

Here are the links to the two groups where new owners of the Nexon are reporting niggles/issues in their cars:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/334518336911894/

WhatsApp - https://*******************/Dp4ioYpGbEGCA05MDFSfxB

Do join them and hear it first-hand from Nexon owners about the niggles/issues they are facing, and any/all/few solutions/corrective steps taken by Tata dealership guys in solving them so far.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th November 2017 at 17:14.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 19:46   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Latest spyshots from Pune, courtesy my friend AutoSpy:

XZA accompanied by the Tigor S, which had 3 alloys & one steel wheel.
Attachment 1700467

A peek at the interiors of the XZA.
Attachment 1700468
Tata of late has been cutting costs by removing small but significant parts, like they removed the strings used to lift the parcel tray in new Tiagos and here they managed to remove the rear wiper that is very important and very useful and absolutely necessary in a car of this price range. Tata seriously needs to wake up and cut their cost cutting methods for good. This is just embarrassing.
Sam_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 07:16   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Besides, I have been accused of spreading false stuff about Tata before from other members who chose not to believe my information.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/334518336911894/

WhatsApp - https://*******************/Dp4ioYpGbEGCA05MDFSfxB

Do join them and hear it first-hand from Nexon owners about the niggles/issues they are facing, and any/all/few solutions/corrective steps taken by Tata dealership guys in solving them so far.
Let me reiterate this point, Avinash. We didn't accuse you, or at least I didn't. My comment about hitting below the belt was for the rumour that Tata used "poor quality steel" in the Nexon to cut costs. The rumour was definitely not by you. You heard it and as you have always done, shared it in good faith. I hope I have made this point amply clear. We trust you.

About niggles, I never made any comments because I haven't driven it. Seen it plenty of times on the road. I did notice one a couple of nights ago on a Test-drive Nexon. The rear brake light seems to have a red plastic holder inset into a white bulb. It had dropped off from the bulb and when the driver hit the brakes, one side glowed red and the other was white/red. I drove up closer to find the red holder/cap had fallen off. The lamp wasn't broken.

I went through the Facebook link you shared, till end of September and the two niggles that were posted were of the mileage reading on the MID (also posted on this thread) and the AC running warm (correction for which was posted by another owner). Nothing else. Definitely nothing about "poor quality steel".

Couldn't join the WhatsApp group, so have no clue if anything else was shared there.

Cost cutting: Every manufacturer does it and Tata is no saint. I removed the parcel tray in the Vista two days after I bought and never used it. So the strings don't matter to me. Not a deal breaker or something to cry wolf over. However, I dislike the fact that Tata omitted the passenger under-seat tray which is very convenient to use.

Let's see how things go. Finally, there was no offense meant to you! Did I mention it earlier?
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed