Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 00:14   #466
BHPian

Exchanged my Zest Revotron XT to a Nexon XZ+ Glasgow Grey.
I will take delivery of the car next week.

Nexon is sure a head turner on roads!
balajisv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 01:38   #467
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The first service done, the engine feels smoother. Earlier used only Sports mode but now Eco mode has got some grunt, using that mostly. Mileage moved up by 2KMPL to 18KMPL on Mid. Interior painted surface attracts scratches so had all painted surfaces wrapped by 3M Sanjaynagar (at my risk). First time they're doing it. Dont mind rewarding a car that behaves!
Yeah, me too. I felt the car became a lot smoother after the first service, but feeling a bit of lag in the third gear around 1500 rpm. Before the service, it used to have lot of grunt in the third gear where it kept surging forward even from 900-1000 rpm with minimal pedal input. I don't find that happening now. There are no mechanical parts touched in the first service as it is more of a checkup. I have to observe more on this before concluding. Any ideas on why it could happen?

My MID is hovering around 20-21 in city (may not be Bumper to bumper traffic all the time) on MID and tankful been above 16.5 except for first tankful when it returned 14.5. The highway trip returned me 20.7 on tankful, but MID showed 26 (too big of a difference). Right now at 1700 on the ODO.

Mine is Diesel.

How did you get them to agree for the film on interiors? Are you doing on the door handles too? How much it is costing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
I am planning to buy ceramic coating solution from Amazon and apply on the shinny parts inside the cabin like the Grey and black parts on the dashboard.
Please share your experience after you get through the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Exchanged my Zest Revotron XT to a Nexon XZ+ Glasgow Grey.
I will take delivery of the car next week.

Nexon is sure a head turner on roads!
Congrats Balajisv. Hope you have lot of miles on it.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 17th December 2017 at 01:41.
mrbaddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 06:26   #468
Senior - BHPian

Mine is diesel as well. You are achieving great mileage figures there, but I'm okay with what I'm getting. To me, the only thing that made a difference at first service was cleaning the air filter which was so packed with dust that I was shocked. So much construction everywhere in Bangalore these days! The engine was already smooth, now it sings. I'm not observing lag in any gear, but 1500rpm is when the turbo unspools so it could be connected to that in your case. Have that checked. I'm keeping the insane surge under control, in bumper to bumper traffic, using the Eco mode. Please do the same.The mode selectors are a boon. In fact, I joke that it's like owning two cars.

Bumper to bumper traffic is a pain. In two instances the car surged at the two-wheelers in front, like a Pit Bull, much to my horror - and I was literally standing on the brakes. It's a beast. Once I even grazed my right side bumper badly, but the deep gashes were contained remarkably by the 3M PPF. Just a peel and the car was back to being shiny new. Posted that in the 3M section. Highly recommend this.

I wanted the PPF film on the shiny interior plastics, but the 3M outlets wouldn't touch it. I tried them all to no luck. That's painted plastic and the glue is so strong it could pull out the paint during install itself. But my reasoning was that if they could PPF the painted plastic rear view mirrors, why not the interior dash and handles?

3M Sanjaynagar said they would give it a shot but it's entirely my risk. I took few days to decide but my OCD got the better of me as everyone with a backpack tend to place the bag on their knee when they sit, and every time the zip/edges would scratch. I would just watch helplessly. To me, my car has to be perfect, zero scratches - and even the boot is properly organised at all times. Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 is brilliant for fine scratches (use that liberally) but constant buffing will take out the paint in some time.

So took the plunge, buffed the fine scratches myself back to its original shine, got the film installed and it's holding well. I dare not remove it in the future for any reason as I'm unsure what will happen then. The paint might come off, so won't recommend the interior install fully. But it's possible! I can PM you the costing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
. How did you get them to agree for the film on interiors? Are you doing on the door handles too? How much is it costing?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_0684.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 09:21   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
. Probably you will end up escalating more often than not. At least in Chennai, Tata ASS does not inspire any sort of confidence.

The experience with Hyundai or a Honda is lot different. It has more positives than negatives. At least that's what the team-BHP official review says.

Quite honestly between Nexon and Verna, I am tilted towards Verna just for a peaceful ownership. These inconsistency and where a damaged Safari being sold as "new" simply doesn't not inspire any confidence in Tata.

These are my views based on different ownership reviews.
Here are my views based on actual ownership.
Between 2009 - 2016 I have used the services of TAFE reach for my Vista, Storme and Bolt , Sundaram Honda for City and DSC Hyundai for I10. Sundaram Honda was terrible. Always poor service experience, incomplete works and no way to escalate. Hyundai was ok except that I was pissed off the AC condenser conked off just after warranty. Both cars were subsequently serviced at an independent garage. TAFE Reach also rates poorly on terms of a good lounge, prompt service but the good thing was they were honest and a bunch of approachable people. I could escalate and they would shamelessly get things done so take your pick.
But if you are someone for total perfection in service and don't want even very minor issues and regret decisions taken later in time, you will be better off with the Verna. Go for it. Its a great car without a doubt.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 11:27   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
got the film installed and it's holding well
Would it not be better to get a 3M Vinyl on the scratch prone areas? If i remember right, the cost of vinyl is lower than the cost of the PPF.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:45   #471
Senior - BHPian

No, the wrap is more expensive than the PPF. Moreover PPF is transparent and you can see the original shade. It's also very tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Would it not be better to get a 3M Vinyl on the scratch prone areas? If i remember right, the cost of vinyl is lower than the cost of the PPF.
Old 18th December 2017, 12:09   #472
BHPian

Had a great experience this morning, while I was driving from Bangalore to Chennai.

My car - 2016 Honda City VX CVT, driving in sports mode.

Just out of Hosur town, driving towards Krishnagiri, a brand new Blue & Grey "REGD" Nexon XZ+ [not sure if its petrol or diesel], joined the highway.
When I saw the Nexon in my IRVM, I was so excited and wanted to have its complete look while on a highway run. I let him overtake thinking he would be in run-in period. He just zoomed past me! Of course, it didn't feel good while I am in 100+ KMPH.

Then, found a perfect spot where he got jammed between 2 trucks [back to back], I passed him comfortably. I had a look at the car, it looked like a perfect family. It should be the "son and father" in the front and rest of the family in the rear seat. Again, thought, he was in run-in period. So, didn't really care for him.

I sped up. The same Nexon showed up again in the IRVM and in a flash it was in my ORVM and the next moment, I see him through my Windshield! I was like, Oh My God!, A brand new "REGD" vehicle with the filled in family overtaking the already speeding vehicle, just so causally!

Seriously, I tried all my best to catch up with him. NO, I couldn't find him at all. All these happened b/w HP petrol bunk [coupled with Cafe Day] and A2B [coupled with BP petrol bunk], roughly in a span of 10 Kms.

Usually, I dont give up unless its a European luxury brand OR a rash driver sitting in a bulky SUV. This time, I gave up and entered the A2B station for a break, consoling myself.

Question - Doesn't Nexon have a run-in period? If so, I am sure, the driver just didnt care for it. But, all credit to the Nexon. The car was very stable at that speed. No bouncing around, the road curves were taken through very peacefully without changing lanes while cornering. I am comparing with my City [sedan] at the same speed, just behind him.

Comments:
1. I was like buying a Nexon immediately after reaching Chennai, Call me an idiot
2. The brake lights of Nexon seems so small for all the handcrafting done at its rear. Probably, the turn lights and brake lights could have been swapped. Just my thought.

Prem.

Last edited by SDP : 18th December 2017 at 14:48. Reason: Editing out high-speed reference
kaviprem is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 12:40   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

All OEM accessories for the Nexon, with pictures:

Nexon Accessories.pdf

Also detailed are the accessory code numbers, their pricing & variants to which each accessory is applicable for.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-1.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-2.jpg

Received on WhatsApp.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 14:01   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
The same Nexon showed up again in the IRVM and in a flash it was in my ORVM and the next moment, I see him through my Windshield! I was like, Oh My God!, A brand new "REGD" vehicle with the filled in family overtaking the already speeding vehicle, just so causally!

Question - Doesn't Nexon have a run-in period?
The running in period is between 1500 to 1800 KM. May be the guy had already completed that.
I can fully understand how you felt seeing the Nexon match your Honda.
I am able to keep up with bigger cars easily. This is a big improvement over my two previous cars, both were powered by the Fiat 1.3 MJD.
I believe the Nexon's diesel + 6 speed gearbox combo is the best in class.

Quote:
I took few days to decide but my OCD got the better of me as everyone with a backpack tend to place the bag on their knee when they sit, and every time the zip/edges would scratch. I would just watch helplessly.
Without any hesitation, I would caution any one with a bag who wants to get into my car. I would ask them not to touch the painted dash and to place their bag in the back seat or on the floor. If anyone is offended, so be it. It is OK if anyone feels bad about it, but it is not OK to scratch my interiors. Period.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 18th December 2017 at 14:11.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:09   #475
BHPian

Hi Prem,

Interesting narration. I enjoyed it.

It's sad that Nexon's sales figures are much lower compared to the inferior product Brezza.
I saw the Autocar's comparison of Nexon with Brezza and Nexon was credited as the winner. I forwarded that video to many to promote Nexon.

By the way, did you end up booking one ?

Regards

Quote:
Had a great experience this morning, while I was driving from Bangalore to Chennai.

Question - Doesn't Nexon have a run-in period? If so, I am sure, the driver just didnt care for it. But, all credit to the Nexon. The car was very stable at that speed. No bouncing around, the road curves were taken through very peacefully without changing lanes while cornering. I am comparing with my City [sedan] at the same speed, just behind him.

Comments:
1. I was like buying a Nexon immediately after reaching Chennai, Call me an idiot
2. The brake lights of Nexon seems so small for all the handcrafting done at its rear. Probably, the turn lights and brake lights could have been swapped. Just my thought.

Prem.

Last edited by SDP : 18th December 2017 at 17:58. Reason: Trimming quoted text for better readability
Old 18th December 2017, 15:28   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...a brand new Blue & Grey "REGD" Nexon XZ+ [not sure if its petrol or diesel],

That would be a diesel. The petrol doesnt have that much grunt. But interesting point there is lack of visible exhaust gases inspite of indicated speeds !
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:24   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
It's sad that Nexon's sales figures are much lower compared to the inferior product Brezza.
No matter how better other manufacturer's product is, Maruti will continue to dominate. They have created a image in Indian buyer's mind that MS is cheaper to maintain, reliable and hassle free. Also of-course most fuel efficient. But buyers who fall for these, forget it is not the case now.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:24   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
The running in period is between 1500 to 1800 KM. May be the guy had already completed that.
I can fully understand how you felt seeing the Nexon match your Honda.
I am able to keep up with bigger cars easily. This is a big improvement over my two previous cars, both were powered by the Fiat 1.3 MJD.
I believe the Nexon's diesel + 6 speed gearbox combo is the best in class.
I hope this car had completed the run-in period. But, I would be surprised if the owner had kept "REGD" even after close to 2000 KMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi Prem,

Interesting narration. I enjoyed it.

I saw the Autocar's comparison of Nexon with Brezza and Nexon was credited as the winner. I forwarded that video to many to promote Nexon.

By the way, did you end up booking one ?

Regards
Oh Brezza? It just doesn't stand a chance of competing with Nexon. I happen to see a couple of Brezza too today and every time I am on this high way. There is no comparison at all. "Inferior" is an understatement or a polite way to put it

Regarding "booking", of course, NOT. Probably, I forgot about it since I travelled about 200 KMs after that to reach home in Chennai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

That would be a diesel. The petrol doesnt have that much grunt. But interesting point there is lack of visible exhaust gases inspite of indicated speeds !
Yeah, I realise it after you mentioned, I didn't notice any smoke at all even at that speed/acceleration!

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 21:58   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
All OEM accessories for the Nexon, with pictures:

Still no mention of the activity key? What is the status regarding that? Will it ever launch?

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2017 at 20:43. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 19th December 2017, 06:08   #480
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't use it as I already have a smart wrist watch. Has novelty value I guess. Its estimated to cost Rs. 4000. Must be coming with a programmable/customisable chip inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Still no mention of the activity key?

Most Viewed