Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 23:32   #676
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahas83 View Post
Hi All,

Firstly - thank you for your support. I went to the service center ( Prerana Motors ) Kudlu Gate, Bangalore today.
Reached home at 4 PM with total disappointment and agony. Basically, nobody has any clue on the exact reason this is happening, including the main TML executives who were giving instructions from the Pune Plant. Now the car is lying in the service center and I have no clue nor hope what I am to look forward to.
Well, its great to know that the TASS and Tata is with you for solving this issue.

Please don't be too disappointed as, to me personally, the first check ended on a very positive note.

First thing is you are consistently getting the error codes. So it will be easier to diagnose for the TASS and Tata.

Second thing, even though they were not able to fix it the first time, they have at least a clue on where the fault might be.
And moreover if Tata insisted the TASS to not play around the electronics, it seems like the Tata engineers or the part supplier will be coming down to fix it.

On a lighter note, there are other peoples with cars of other manufacturers (including me), who can only dream the way TASS and Tata is treating you. hehe

Honestly, this is a very positive note to me.
A problem occurring in a car is common, what counts is how its resolved and what measures the manufacturer or service center takes for rectifying these.

I also own a Nexon and this is very reassuring to me. So hang in there and don't get too disappointed with these minor setbacks/niggles.

Regarding the shop owner, maybe he haven't seen any Safaris with big wheels or cool looking alloys. When or if you go there next time, ask him to google it. It will be an eye opener to him.

Last edited by SDP : 30th January 2018 at 00:15. Reason: Trimming the quoted part
jithudigitised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 11:01   #677
BHPian

Quote:
( p.s - I spent an additional 44 k on alloys - momo revenge concave on this car. The guy who shop owner sarcastically said nobody has ever spent so much on a TATA, and I told him not to judge )
Sahas, just one unsolicited advice from someone who purchased an even rare breed of car. When I purchased Palio in 2008, literally none - and I mean this, recommended that. My entire circle of friends, family and relatives were shocked that I would opt for a Fiat car when I can go for Swift(Read Maruti, the car itself wasn't of much importance). Initially I thought of going for swift but when Palio was released I compared both and changed my mind. My father left the choice to me. I never regretted my decision in spite of the minor troubles, especially with clutch which would go kaput after every 20 or 30k Kms. I did complete justice to my Multijet with the car clocking more than a lakh kms in the first 4 years itself. Since then I have slowed down a bit. In spite of the minor issues, it is still going strong and nearing 2 lakh mark.

It is unfortunate that your vehicle is having problems so early but that can happen. Don't regret the decision or else you will be frustrated at every small niggle that pops out in future. That will kill the joy of owning a car. And also what I observed is if you don't regret your decision much, people will eventually stop commenting on your choice. I am a prime example of this.

Happy driving.
vamsi.kona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 12:34   #678
BHPian

1st niggle in our one week old 200 KMS run car (XZ+ petrol). Out of nowhere , car started making loud kat-kat sound. Initially we suspected steering rack/mount noise - because it was coming whenever we make right turn . But later its found out to be from Front Right suspension . Noise was very prominent on small undulations on the road or during breaking and sudden acceleration - as if 2 metal parts are oscillating and rubbing each other. We can hear the sound from outside as well. But strangely sound was not there when we drove over any humps.

I took it to Prerana motors Kudlu gate today. They immediately identified and informed us that they are observing this issue in couple of cars lately. It was loose nut/bolt near the right suspension. They added the bush and tightened it on both the sides within 10 mins. Kudos to them.

Frankly speaking , I don't know how sever the issue is. Experts can comment . But I'm pretty happy with the car and enjoying every bit of it. I'm very thankful to Prerana Motor's staff for their prompt and quick response/solution.
vinya_jag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 21:05   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
1st niggle in our one week old 200 KMS run car (XZ+ petrol). Out of nowhere , car started making loud kat-kat sound. Initially we suspected steering rack/mount noise - because it was coming whenever we make right turn . But later its found out to be from Front Right suspension . Noise was very prominent on small undulations on the road or during breaking and sudden acceleration - as if 2 metal parts are oscillating and rubbing each other. We can hear the sound from outside as well. But strangely sound was not there when we drove over any humps.

I took it to Prerana motors Kudlu gate today. They immediately identified and informed us that they are observing this issue in couple of cars lately. It was loose nut/bolt near the right suspension. They added the bush and tightened it on both the sides within 10 mins. Kudos to them.

Frankly speaking , I don't know how sever the issue is. Experts can comment . But I'm pretty happy with the car and enjoying every bit of it. I'm very thankful to Prerana Motor's staff for their prompt and quick response/solution.

Same thing happened to my Nexon as well, but it was on the left front side . The front left went over a big pothole and since then I was able to hear a metal banging noise now and then . The dealer ( KHT Motors) located the issue during my first service and rectified it . Hope this feedback is going back to TML , so that they rectify it if its a material or manufacturing defect.
Old 29th January 2018, 22:10   #680
BHPian

Thanks again guys for your support. Update from today.

- vehicle still in kudlu gate service center
- bosch engineers could not figure out the issue. However, they mentioned the vehicle performance is not getting affected when the check engine light comes up and when F shows up.
- they are unable to find the real issue and are thinking it is due to a software bug and I don't believe that.
- I'm stuck without transport and their team mentioned they will refund my cab cost and can also provide a standby car till my vehicle is rectified.
- main TML guys also have no clue and are telling me they never saw this in any other vehicle and are trying their best to fix it.

Now considering the above and if TML is unable to rectify the issue, what options do I have? Can I ask for a new car or a refund? Please advise as I'm not experienced in this.
sahas83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 00:05   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Now considering the above and if TML is unable to rectify the issue, what options do I have? Can I ask for a new car or a refund? Please advise as I'm not experienced in this.
Considering your car is safely parked and is taken good care of, it makes sense to opt for a standby car until the folks at TML figure out the issue. Simultaneously, do keep pressurising them to fix it ASAP. Refund or a new car might be not fair, as by my experience, I've seen fairly new cars in service centers for months together for unknown issues.

In your case, there are no mechanical issues. Just a sensor or software bug which we may come to know once they troubleshoot. Will keep following this thread for your updates. Hope they resolve it soon.

Ps: press for a standby car.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:44   #682
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so Tata Motors called my car in for an up-gradation. This is absolutely free and not sure if it's only for XZ+ owners. A silicon pad was placed inside the headlamp unit to damp the vibes and the backside of the remote was changed to something that keeps the battery pressed in its place (pic below are the new unit (L) Vs the old (R)). Call for yours now!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_4116.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_4124.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_4117.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 11:34   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I was very happy to see this in the beginning of this review

But when I went to see a Nexon XM and XT in the Tata Motors service centre near my place sometime back, I could not find this feature in any model (by feature I mean the markings indicating points to fix ISOFIX Child Seat as shown in the image attached).

I have a 8 month old son, and would like my next car to have ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts to carry him securely when we go on drives. I just use the lap belt on my Tata Nano for now with a rearward facing Child seat, and feel it to be pretty unsafe.

Can any owners of Nexon XE/XM/XT confirm the availability of this feature in their vehicles? I am interested in Nexon XM.

Attachment 1712419
Right now (30th Jan 2018, 11AM) I am sitting at the Tata Motors Service Centre in Dehradun to get my 4 year old Nano serviced. I got to see the Nexon XM and XZ+ in flesh, and can confirm that XM does not have ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts or Tethers. The ISOFIX Chile Seat ARROW Stickers are missing in the XM as well as the Tether Sticker at the back as in Nexon XZ+. Attached images for reference.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-xm-rear-seat.jpg

Notice the lack of ISOFIX Seat Point markers

Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-xm-rear-boot.jpg

Notice the lack of ISOFIX Seat Tether Anchor markers and metallic hook

Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-xz-rear-seat.jpg

Notice the ISOFIX Seat Point markers

Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-xz-rear-boot.jpg

Notice the presence of ISOFIX Seat Tether Anchor markers and metallic hooks on the boot floor near the rear seat.

Request the moderators to kindly make the relevant changes in the introductory review page about ISOFIX Child Seat mounts being standard to be changed to not being standard and being limited to the top variant only. Maybe XZA will get them, once launched.

O.T. - Loved the music system of Nexon even in XM variant, the space inside is good. I love the interiors and exteriors as well. Love the way the front doors close with a thud and feel heavy to operate. The rear doors seem a little lighter. Good boot space. My love for Nexon has grown again, had thought of not looking at any 5 seater for my next car and go for 5+2 seaters next, but just 1 look and by sitting inside the car, I am in love with it all over again.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 30th January 2018 at 11:38. Reason: Photos were not coming in order
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:16   #684
BHPian

Quote:
I am not a Nexon owner but I do own a cute little Nano. Tata service experience has only been good for me. Just needs some good old fashion Indian style followup.

but related to the ownership/experience of a new vehicle. Many years back when i was a student, my parents bought me the latest bike launched in India, the Bajaj, Pulsar 180 DTSI. I was super excited about it and spent sleepless nights before the deliver. Days later, got my bike and was very happy.

However, after a week i realized that the bike had an issue: used to vibrate a lot at above 4k rpm. Took my brand new bike back the to service center and it was detected that the Balancing Idler gear was at fault. It was replaced and i was satisfied... for another week. It was a great downer for me and i was flabbergasted since the service center then stated that this vibration will not go away and that ill have to live with it. Turned out i had got a lemon! Being a student, it was a big deal as i had to use public transport again to commute.

Anyhoo, after another month and lot of followup later, Bajaj agreed to change the complete engine on my bike. I rode the bike to the Chakan plant (used to stay in Pune then) and rode back with a new motor never to face the issue again. Me and my trusty Pulsar spent many years together and many adventures...And it the first 40 days were completely forgotten.

Hence, do not worry about the car now, because once it is fixed, you will spend many more years with it happily.

Cheers.
naturaldisaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:30   #685
Senior - BHPian

@Sahas - I couldn't resist from posting here after seeing the ordeal you are going through.

Like many bhpians have advised and shared their experiences, let me try to share mine as well with a similar experience I had back in 2007 when I went in for newly launched Pulsar 220 FI model. It had a lot of quality issues that demanded for service support but it took a longer time for everything to fall in place. But the love for the machine never diminished and after 10 years down the line, it's still with me growing strong with no issues after one final replacement of fuel pump changed back in 2008. Ever since then, I am leading a good relationship with the bike.

It's just the time and patience that's required now mate and I totally empathize how difficult it could be for an enthusiast who'd have gone in for a car that's given him sleepless nights before the delivery and continues to give the same after delivery. Let me reiterate, it's just the service support that requires some pumping up to do and nothing to do with the car. Try keep pestering them and involve TMIL team day in and out to get this resolved.

All the best and keep us posted mate. I do stand by Tata for what they have grown and are trying their best to be! As Indians, let's give them a chance and I'm sure our future in the automobile industry with Tata is looking to be shining.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:46   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Ok, so Tata Motors called my car in for an up-gradation. This is absolutely free and not sure if it's only for XZ+ owners. A silicon pad was placed inside the headlamp unit to damp the vibes and the backside of the remote was changed to something that keeps the battery pressed in its place (pic below are the new unit (L) Vs the old (R)). Call for yours now!
Hi Sebring. A question for you. How much time did it take for the service folks to pull out the headlamp? I was in Connaught Place (Delhi) the other day and a Nexon owner came to upgrade the Headlamp bulbs to HIDs. It took more than 4 hours for mechanics at a garage to change the headlamp bulbs. Apparently, they had to pull out the bumper. I am sure it was a mistake on the part of these mechanics but I wanted to cross check the same with you. Because if on a highway one lamp goes bad, the headlamp bulbs must be easy to replace with a spare one. . I don't think TML would have gone so wrong with the design.
Old 30th January 2018, 18:46   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Right now (30th Jan 2018, 11AM) I am sitting at the Tata Motors Service Centre in Dehradun to get my 4 year old Nano serviced. I got to see the Nexon XM and XZ+ in flesh, and can confirm that XM does not have ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts or Tethers. The ISOFIX Chile Seat ARROW Stickers are missing in the XM as well as the Tether Sticker at the back as in Nexon XZ+. ...

O.T. - Loved the music system of Nexon even in XM variant, the space inside is good. I love the interiors and exteriors as well. Love the way the front doors close with a thud and feel heavy to operate. The rear doors seem a little lighter. Good boot space. My love for Nexon has grown again, had thought of not looking at any 5 seater for my next car and go for 5+2 seaters next, but just 1 look and by sitting inside the car, I am in love with it all over again.
And after being through the service all through the day, just returned home about 40 kilometers away from the service center to find that my coolant is leaking from a pipe near the engine block every time I switch the car off. The service center guys have promised to do the needful tomorrow, as it is too late to do anything today. So, enjoy the ownership hassles as they come. Because the rest of the time things are good and we never thank the company for providing a trustworthy ride. My 4 years of ownership have been pretty trouble free most of the time, just a few off instances like these, but I love my car and do not regret buying it back then at all.

Last edited by SDP : 30th January 2018 at 22:14. Reason: Trimming quoted text
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 20:22   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragverma666 View Post
Hi Sebring. A question for you. How much time did it take for the service folks to pull out the headlamp? I was in Connaught Place (Delhi) the other day and a Nexon owner came to upgrade the Headlamp bulbs to HIDs. It took more than 4 hours for mechanics at a garage to change the headlamp bulbs. Apparently, they had to pull out the bumper. I am sure it was a mistake on the part of these mechanics but I wanted to cross check the same with you. Because if on a highway one lamp goes bad, the headlamp bulbs must be easy to replace with a spare one. . I don't think TML would have gone so wrong with the design.
You don't need to take apart the bumper to change the headlight bulbs - both low beam and high beam.

I wonder why the mechanics did that, maybe they also needed to fit the fog lamps.

I have personally tried and it can be easily done by following the guide on the manual.

Attaching the screenshot for a reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-high_beam_bulb_replacement.png  

jithudigitised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 01:22   #689
BHPian

Quick update guys. Spoke to tata motors again and they don't have a clue on the reason behind the engine light coming up.

They are still under the belief that it could be a software issue. A couple of other nexon owners faced similar issues and where addressed with a totally new engine.

Also TML executive shamelessly asked if I'm OK to take the vehicle as is. Now, this was a let down and a loss to my ray of hope towards their resolution.

Do I give them a time frame to get this fixed and if they can't, ask them to issue me a new vehicle? As from my interaction, they are clueless and my car is sitting in the workshop.
Old 31st January 2018, 07:24   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update guys. Spoke to tata motors again and they don't have a clue on the reason behind the engine
Hi, by Tata motors I mean someone from their HQ or regional office? If not, involve them. Also I suggest writing down all these details in an email to them and try to get confirmation. I feel it's about time you are given a new engine if TML feels that'll fix the issue. Make them aware of this thread too!

Most Viewed