Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:50   #1531
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
Yes it goes away in sunlight, but my worry is on a rainy day, it may block the light and I have observed that with time it has spread to a larger area. Moreover, it is definitely causing damage to the looks. You know how people will be waiting to judge tata cars even for the common issues.
Yes, i know the kind of people you are talking about. hehe.

By the way, the spread is too much in your car. Usually it will be a small section close to the front grill or the top/bottom area of the headlight.

Maybe you should get it checked with TASS to be certain.
jithudigitised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:35   #1532
BHPian

1 week passed after me getting my Nexon and have clocked 290 KM in these 8 days. I am extremely happy with my choice. The ride quality is good. I am enjoying the AMT also. Diesel grunt is also nice.

Now, I have to ask other owners on 3 things.
1. Whenever I unlock the car and open the door, there is a hissing sound for a few seconds. This is similar to the sound which we get when the mirrors are unfolded. The same is heard when the mirrors are unfolded as well. Whenever the doors are just unlocked, there is no sound, it comes only when the door is opened and remains almost for the same duration it takes to unfold the mirror.

2. Android Auto is not connecting. I tried connecting to the USB port and the Android Auto is kicking up, but the connectivity is unstable. What could be the reason?
Checks I performed - changed the cable multiple times, checked with different phones, however, it is coming on and getting closed immediately.
What could be the problem and potential solution?

3. Whenever I start the engine in the morning, initially, the smoke is too much and has a smell. Is this normal? I am owning a diesel of the first time, but have used XUV of my sister extensively, don't remember seeing smoke to this extent.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Last edited by Jakku : 23rd July 2018 at 19:38. Reason: Add a point.
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:40   #1533
BHPian

Hi Jakku, that hissing sound is because of AMT gearbox. It seems there is some mechanism to initiate the AMT box or something. I checked this with the service centre during my tiago servicing. In case your nexon is not AMT, then pls check with tata service guys.
Mishrap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 22:49   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post

3. Whenever I start the engine in the morning, initially, the smoke is too much and has a smell. Is this normal? I am owning a diesel of the first time, but have used XUV of my sister extensively, don't remember seeing smoke to this extent.
That's usually how it is with diesel engines and cold starts. You should worry if it continues even after the engine has warmed up.
teknicsand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 06:43   #1535

Hello,

I got a call from my SA from Tata's URS KAR, Mysore stating that there is a ECU update for my Nexon XZA+ (D). BCM update has been done long time ago, but ECU update is something new. Can someone confirm if ECU has been updated?. Since I haven't read in this forum or elsewhere about anyone getting a ECU update.
Old 24th July 2018, 11:15   #1536
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend who bought a top spec Diesel Single Tone Nexon faced a serious issue just around first service point that made him park the car and have it towed.

It appears to be a one off. HL (whatever that maybe) Pipe was broken and sucked into the engine.

First time TATA Nexon faced this issue. The entire engine was replaced under warranty though they could have done a partial repair. Car was out of service for 15 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180724wa0003.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180724wa0002.jpg  

ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 15:58   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishrap View Post
Hi Jakku, that hissing sound is because of AMT gearbox. It seems there is some mechanism to initiate the AMT box or something.
Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, mine is an AMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
That's usually how it is with diesel engines and cold starts. You should worry if it continues even after the engine has warmed up.
Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, it is there only initially when the engine starts and that too for a few seconds.
Old 24th July 2018, 20:47   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFarmer View Post
Hello, Can someone confirm if ECU has been updated?. Since I haven't read in this forum or elsewhere about anyone getting a ECU update.
I got it done last Sunday. Service team had come to my house to do it. They are not aware of what difference it would make, but only that it's a mandatory update.

Engine mount bolt torque check was also mentioned in the list they had. They just inspected it by sight and said it was ok.

I think that the steering felt tighter after this. I had also over inflated the tyre pressure by 2 PSI shortly after the update. Not sure if the tightness is due to this or the update.

Mine is a XZ+ (D)
KA18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 22:11   #1539
BHPian

I have found the headlight of the Nexon XZ+ to be lacking. I have done night driving both on dry as well as wet roads. The wet roads just make them worse.
I am thinking of going through the LED route due to the plug & play nature and no cap cuttings.
Any suggestions ?

Last edited by gk.93 : 24th July 2018 at 22:12.
Old 24th July 2018, 22:22   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
I got it done last Sunday. Service team had come to my house to do it. They are not aware of what difference it would make...
Forget about the update. Just the fact that they came to your house to carry it out should make (and mark) a huge difference in the customer's perception of Tata Motors. Good going, I must say!

Quote:
I think that the steering felt tighter after this. I had also over inflated the tyre pressure by 2 PSI shortly after the update. Not sure if the tightness is due to this...
Overinflated tyres aren't likely to make the steering feel tight. It's actually the other way round.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 10:11   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Forget about the update. Just the fact that they came to your house to carry it out should make (and mark) a huge difference in the customer's perception of Tata Motors. Good going, I must say!
Definitely I would say that TATA's policies have changed for the benefit of customers.

As I have always felt, a good product can become a marketing failure because of the unprofessional service provided by the service centres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Overinflated tyres aren't likely to make the steering feel tight. It's actually the other way round.
I thought so too. Then the tightness has to be attributed to the ECU (or BCM update) which seemed unlikely.

Forwarded message received on WhatsApp from trustworthy sources:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180725wa0007.jpg  

KA18 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 12:56   #1542
srh
BHPian

Quote:

Forwarded message received on WhatsApp from trustworthy sources:
If this is true, it is really a case of penny wise and pound foolish. I can understand if a feature is deleted across all variants based on customer feedback (that they don't value it). But deleting features only from some variants and attributing it to customer feedback is illogical. On the other hand, deleting these for cost is hilarious - considering the cost associated with these. Wonder who are the jokers in charge of such decisions.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 13:00   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFarmer View Post
Hello,

I got a call from my SA from Tata's URS KAR, Mysore stating that there is a ECU update for my Nexon XZA+ (D). Can someone confirm if ECU has been updated?. Since I haven't read in this forum or elsewhere about anyone getting a ECU update.
Quote:
I got it done last Sunday. Service team had come to my house to do it. They are not aware of what difference it would make, but only that it's a mandatory update.
Engine mount bolt torque check was also mentioned in the list they had. They just inspected it by sight and said it was ok.
I think that the steering felt tighter after this. I had also over inflated the tyre pressure by 2 PSI shortly after the update. Not sure if the tightness is due to this or the update.

Mine is a XZ+ (D)
I got it done on my XZ+ Diesel. It is to avoid jerks on cold starts. Also, torque values of some steering bolts are increased to prevent noise in the steering columns. This did result in a slightly stiffer steering.

It is smoother now, but the engine noise has increased noticeably.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 25th July 2018 at 13:03.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 14:19   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.93 View Post
I have found the headlight of the Nexon XZ+ to be lacking. I have done night driving both on dry as well as wet roads. The wet roads just make them worse.
I am thinking of going through the LED route due to the plug & play nature and no cap cuttings.
Any suggestions ?
First you need to get it aligned properly. Its better to do the aligning when its dark. Ask the service team to do it in the night or at dark places.

Even after the alignment, you think the light is not up to mark, upgrade your lights.
Old 25th July 2018, 15:05   #1545
BHPian

I was involved in an incident last day evening.

I was returning home at around 8:15PM, it was drizzling and my mind was distracted due to official reasons. The wiper was in intermittent mode and the windshield was having more rain drops (it was about to initiate another swipe). It is a 4 lane road, no much traffic, there was a lone rickshaw on the left lane and I was in the inner lane near to median. There was a lamppost and immediately infront of it there was an opening in median; this seems to be dug by locals for a quick u-turn and to cross road. One of the concrete blocks was lying there and it was literally on the road which I didn't see. I don't know where I was looking, I didn't see the block and the rear tyre hit it. It bursted; I would have swerved to right, my right side was brushing against the median and was trying to climb up; again, no idea how/ why, I swerved left and braked and it stopped. And it stopped without much fuzz. The car was wobbling heavily, but never ever lost control and it stopped in the same lane. God's grace, nothing happened. My right hand elbow hit on the door and head on the B-pillar (not heavy, but had some pain). It all happened in a fraction of a second and I never understood how it happened/ how I reacted to the situation, whatever I did was a sub-conscious instant reaction (not taken by mind or head, I just did what I did).

Took a moment to realise that I was involved in an incident and came out of the car. Checked the car front side first and realised it has not hit anywhere. I was unable to understand what happened and then saw the rear right tyre bursted with a big cut. The rear bottom plastic has a very small scratch, other than than, not even a slight scratch anywhere on the car. Swapped it with the stepney and went home. Ride back was extremely slow and I was totally under the trauma, could not ride properly.

While driving back, could hear some sound from front tyre as well. Yesterday morning went to nearby tyreshop and changed the tyre and swapped the stepney. Removed the front tyre, deflated and removed all the debris there. Requested the tyre shop guy to blow air over the brake area to ensure there is no debris left over. Did the allignment and paid them.

The rickshaw too stopped and the driver was shouting at me "what would have happened if you hit me" even before asking me "are you OK". I was too annoyed by his question and hit back saying "you would have been in thrown to that compound wall and might have been dead even, thank God, nothing happened". The passenger came to me and was enquiring if I was OK. By then, the driver realised I had not hit him and cooled down and asked me if he should take me to the hospital. I thanked him and told sorry to him and then he too reciprocated with an apology.

The alloys have scratch marks, checked with the tyreshop guy and he assured me there is no issue with the same and asked me to continue use the same without any doubt.

Total damage Rs.8000/- and the mental trauma. I am still to recover from the same; this is my first incident in the last 12 years of car ownership. Yesterday night while going back from office, it was raining heavily and I was unable to move beyond 2nd gear. Stopped by a shop for about 10 mins, had a smoke and took deep breath and continued home. Today morning as well, I was unable to go beyond 3rd gear despite road being comparatively free.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-damagedtyre.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-frontrim.jpg  

Jakku is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed