Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2018, 22:27   #1651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Was encouraging a friend to go for the Nexon ZX+ - but Maruti has thrown in a googly at the last moment with the SCross Zeta variant. Nexon ZX+ costs 9.68L as compared to the SCross Zeta which costs 9.98L, and the features seem to be evenly matched. SCross gets cruise control as well - which he is rather interested in.

Is there a big advantage for the Nexon, other than the 1.5 diesel engine and interior quality, that I'm missing out on? His main priorities are seating comfort, bootspace, good cruising ability and fuel efficiency.

S-Cross for :
1) More space
2) Better touchscreen response
3) Maruti : Ease of service and coverage
4) Cruise control
5) Better interior quality

Nexon for :
1) Better sound system
2) Better GC
3) Better engine

Both should post good FE and are built rather well, though the Nexon is decidedly heavier. Read somewhere that the facelifted S-Cross has lost some weight. Both have good ride and handling balance but as per me the S-Cross has better dynamics but the Nexon has a much more powerful engine.

Note : Have a S-Cross(pre-facelifted) at home.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 23:57   #1652
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
No clear winner here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Both are more or less evenly matched in terms of features but based on the priorities listed, S Cross is the choice here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
S-Cross for :

Nexon for :
Thanks guys!

Took him for a test drive of the SCross today. Nexon we should be covering on Saturday most probably. Nexon scores high on the interior quality and SCross scores on practicality - so its more in favour of the SCross for now as per his requirements. But I guess his better half will have other plans in mind when she joins the TD on Saturday.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 00:55   #1653
Distinguished - BHPian

I have covered ~3,530 kms with my Cygnus in the past 42 days since I was promoted and posted at a place which is 285 kms away from my home.

I started on 18th July with the Trip A meter reading 1,926 kms, and the FE display on MID showing 18.1 kmpl. The Fuelio app confirms that the variance between the MID reading and actual FE is -3.0 kmpl in my Nexon. Till then, most of the distance covered was within the city.

Here's a snap from those days:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180831wa0000.jpg

For the record, I have been driving almost exclusively in SPORT mode since the time I took delivery in the last week of March 2018. I had tried the other two modes, ECO & CITY, very briefly back in March itself but didn't like the engine response in either of them so decided to stick with SPORT mode from then on, all through the break-in period and beyond it as well (if the FE took a hit, so be it, because an engine performing to it's full 108BHP & 260Nm capability is more important for me).

The Drive Modes knob in my Cygnus remains untouched for nearly 5 months now. Surprising that there aren't cobwebs or spider webs around it!

Anyway, back to our topic. Pleasant surprises in the past month or so, during my extensive highway runs:

Crossed 22 kmpl on the MID somewhere near the 2,600-km mark (Trip A),
touched 24 kmpl on the MID when I was closing in on the 3,000-km mark,
achieved the best of 24.3 kmpl on the MID at 3,267 kms on the Trip A reading,
bettered it by scoring 24.5 kmpl at 5,363 kms, and now the MID shows 24.7 kmpl at 5,460 kms on Trip A.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180831wa0001.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180831wa0002.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180831wa0003.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-rsz_img_20180829_093947.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-rsz_img_20180829_105954.jpg

First 4 pics were taken by my iPhone X, while the latest 2 shots are taken by my OnePlus 5T. Please excuse the quality of the snaps.

The Fuelio app numbers for this entire Trip A running (haven't resetted it since the beginning):

Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20180831004007.jpg

Who said that the Nexon's SPORT mode couldn't be frugal?!

I have the ACC set at 25 degrees and on 50% of the time, tyres set at 33 PSI all around, and speeds between 80-90 kmph between 5th & 6th gears, with occasional bursts to 100 kmph on smooth tarmac, and dropping to 60 kmph when road conditions aren't good enough. Within the city, I try to stick to 40-45 kmph in the 3rd/4th gears when the conditions permit. No idling during stops or at traffic signals for more than 30 seconds. Thankfully I haven't gotten stuck in B2B traffic till now.

Most of the past 3,500-odd kms has been done on highways.

Only one issue of note till now - the gear lever sometimes gets stuck while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It either goes halfway upwards then falls back to Neutral by itself, or it simply stays there on it's way upwards into the 3rd gear's slot. This has happened occasionally. I have reported it to my parent dealership but my schedule has gotten so busy right now I haven't had time to get this rectified. Hopefully, with the 2nd Free Service due next month, I shall get this fixed.

Other than this one issue, it's been smooth sailing with my Cygnus so far.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180831wa0004.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20180831wa0005.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 31st August 2018 at 01:04. Reason: added 2 latest pics of my ride.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 03:36   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Who said that the Nexon's SPORT mode couldn't be frugal?!

I have the ACC set at 25 degrees and on 50% of the time, tyres set at 33 PSI all around, and speeds between 80-90 kmph between 5th & 6th gears, with occasional bursts to 100 kmph on smooth tarmac, and dropping to 60 kmph when road conditions aren't good enough. Within the city, I try to stick to 40-45 kmph in the 3rd/4th gears when the conditions permit. No idling during stops or at traffic signals for more than 30 seconds. Thankfully I haven't gotten stuck in B2B traffic till now.

Most of the past 3,500-odd kms has been done on highways.

Attachment 1794719[/center]
That's nice mileage you are getting Avi. Any specific reason to go with 33 psi when recommended is 30 psi for the XZ+ variants?
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 13:49   #1655
BHPian

I have upgraded my low beam projectors to LED's. I Chose Philips Ultinon 6000; got them installed at a FNG. They are plug and play; no wires cut, hence I'm told that there will be no issues with the warranty. They cost about INR 7000 (appx) including installation.

There is no improvement in the illumination. The light is now white instead of yellow. The biggest issue is that they are not focussed properly. There is no 'beam' to speak of; the light is spread all over the place.

On the positive side, the light is spread over a wider section of the road. While driving on extremely bad roads (which I do for 30% of the time), I can easily decide whether to go left or right to avoid those big pot holes.

For these results, I feel 7000 is a bit too steep. It would have been worth it if it was done within 2000 to 3000.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pre LED installation pictures. I have attached the post installation pictures. The depth of the throw of light you see in the last picture is about 50 feet, which is the same as the old halogen bulbs. The width is about 40 feet, which is much more than the old halogens.

If anyone can give me tips on how to focus the LED's in the projectors better, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20180817_144758.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20180817_144915.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20180817_231834.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20180829_185535.jpg  

Enobarbus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 18:52   #1656
BHPian

Recently we had a chance to visit the most iconic historically significant place, Hampi of Karnataka.
As I was keen on testing the comfort level of my Nexon and for the interest of exploring the village trials, went through the bit less traveled village roads with patchy, bumpy, narrow with huge road bumps all along the way. Thanks to amazing suspension and unbelievable ground clearance of Nexon, this journey was a cake walk.
Have made a small vlog on the same route. Do watch to witness.

ThilakNex is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 20:04   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Has anybody observed this kind of strange out of sync and haphazard behavior from Tata sales?
Yep, even I faced the same with Aadya Motors Hebbal. The SA who was assigned was not responding, but the guy who took the car to me for test drive was responding in a better way and I used to recommend him incase someone is interested in this dealer. I had to go multiple times to and forth to get my proforma invoice corrected. Even then, they got my name wrongly in the system and had to correct it during my first service. However, I completed my first service there itself 2 weeks back, and it was fine, nothing better, nothing worse; just fine. No value adds you can expect from them.

While asking the feedback, I was asked in the "google docs" form if I was informed about the loaner car availability and free pickup/ drop. It was a surprise and the Service Advisor was not aware of that.

Quote:
For the record, I have been driving almost exclusively in SPORT mode since the time I took delivery in the last week of March 2018. ....

The Drive Modes knob in my Cygnus remains untouched for nearly 5 months now. Surprising that there aren't cobwebs or spider webs around it!
I have noticed that whenever the ignition is OFF and when turned ON again, the drive mode is defaulting to CITY. Is there a way to make the car remember the setting while ignition is turned OFF? Please help to understand how you made it to stay in SPORTS mode always.

Issues I have faced till date
  • Once I was on a call over bluetooth connection, apple car play was on and while reversing the camera kicked in as it is supposed to be. However, after stopping the car, the camera never turned off, neither putting it in forward gear and driving made any difference. I turned ignition OFF and then ON again which cleared this error
  • Once the infotainment system screen went blank throughout, however the FM was playing. I tried changing the mode (steering switch), it obliged. I made a call from phone, it worked perfectly. All was working except the screen. I turned OFF the ignition again, and then ON which cleared the issue.
  • Once I was wearing my PEPS key and unlocked the car, got in and pressed the start button once which unlocks the steering (didn't close the door). But then I had to go back to my home, so came out and closed the door and tried to lock, it was not obliging, the boot was also not opening. I took my key and did a lock/ unlock and then entire thing was back to normal.

I am not sure what is all these wiered behaviours, but the better thing is, the issues are getting resolved by turning off the ignition.
Jakku is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 20:57   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
I have upgraded my low beam projectors to LED's. I Chose Philips Ultinon 6000; got them installed at a FNG. They are plug and play; no wires cut, hence I'm told that there will be no issues with the warranty. They cost about INR 7000 (appx) including installation.

There is no improvement in the illumination. The light is now white instead of yellow. The biggest issue is that they are not focussed properly. There is no 'beam' to speak of; the light is spread all over the place.

On the positive side, the light is spread over a wider section of the road. While driving on extremely bad roads (which I do for 30% of the time), I can easily decide whether to go left or right to avoid those big pot holes.

For these results, I feel 7000 is a bit too steep. It would have been worth it if it was done within 2000 to 3000.

To get bright concentrated light beam the bulb filament should exactly be on the focal point of reflector. Nexon reflector has many focal points and still if you do not get concentrated light beam , it means that bulb is not designed for this reflector. Though bulb produces more light , still you will get poor candlepower output which can not travel long distance.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st September 2018 at 00:02. Reason: fixing the quote tags
koushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 22:19   #1659
BHPian

Quote:

If anyone can give me tips on how to focus the LED's in the projectors better, please let me know.
You need to adjust the highbeam using the adjusters given beside it for proper focusing of the beams.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-highbeam_adjust.jpeg

The above picture shows the adjustments for the highbeam.
  • Blue for up and down adjustment.
  • Green for right and left adjustment.

You can use the 8 mm spanner for the highbeam adjustment.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-lowbeam_adjust.jpeg

The above picture shows the adjustments for the lowbeam. The white ones are for projector (lowbeam) adjustment.
  • Blue for up and down adjustment.
  • Green for right and left adjustment.

You can use the 6 mm Allen key (or star screw drivers) for the lowbeam adjustment.

Also if possible try adjusting the left side low beam first (while right side headlight is not plugged in) and vice versa. And then adjust both beams without overlapping of left and right beams.

Thanks to our Nexon owner Shreejith from Goa for the detailed description and the pictures he had to send us (TANKO - TAta Nexon Kerala Owners group) earlier.

Last edited by jithudigitised : 31st August 2018 at 22:23.
jithudigitised is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 23:39   #1660
BHPian

Rose Gold Nexon anyone?

Will match with your Rose Gold iPhone, now that Apple Car Play has been enabled on Nexon.

Source : https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-nexon-ro...d-edition/amp/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-modifiedtatanexonrosegoldcolourimage1.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-modifiedtatanexonrosegoldcolourimage4.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-modifiedtatanexonrosegoldcolourimage3.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 31st August 2018 at 23:52.
uday.ere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 00:02   #1661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your bulbs are H7. Philips H7 has an adjustment option depending on the reflector design. When installing did the guy ensure the angle is identical to the stock bulbs. Basically for H7 the projectors or reflectors are designed with the normal halogen bulb being placed at an angle and not perfectly straight. In halogen it does not matter since the filament is 360 degrees.

But when you change to LEd the LED's are on both sides and leave a small dark spot.

The picture below from youtube shows the H7 LED bulbs you have with the angle markings. You need to insert the regular bulb and see how many degrees it is tilted then adjust the ring on the LEd to the same angle and insert it into the headlight.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-screen-shot-20180831-23.57.30.png

If it still does not work then play with the alignment. But I feel adjusting the bulb angle will make a huge difference.

With the projectors I think you should be at +/-90 degrees. One side of the LED bulb will not be effective this way but this is the right orientation. If you place them at zero you will get a lot lesser light.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st September 2018 at 00:07.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 11:11   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I have found Nexon low beam/high beam adequate for my use. The front fogs were disappointing, so the LED upgrade is 4 times better I must say. These are Philips sourced from US, the X-treme model! It's not available in India as yet!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 11:58   #1663
BHPian

From the Nexon's official Instagram page:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20180901_115604.jpg  

Prathiiik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:06   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
That's nice mileage you are getting Avi. Any specific reason to go with 33 psi when recommended is 30 psi for the XZ+ variants?
I am usually driving with two-three full suitcases these days. Experimented with 30/31/32 PSI but all felt underinflated during running and usage, and 33 PSI felt just right. So stuck to 33 from then on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
I have noticed that whenever the ignition is OFF and when turned ON again, the drive mode is defaulting to CITY. Is there a way to make the car remember the setting while ignition is turned OFF? Please help to understand how you made it to stay in SPORTS mode always.
My Cygnus doesn't have this problem. Ever since I have stuck to SPORT mode, it stays in that same mode by default. I start the car in the mornings and it is in SPORT mode already.

Quote:
  • Once I was on a call over bluetooth connection, apple car play was on and while reversing the camera kicked in as it is supposed to be. However, after stopping the car, the camera never turned off, neither putting it in forward gear and driving made any difference. I turned ignition OFF and then ON again which cleared this error
Reverse camera display freeze-ups used to happen earlier in my Cygnus too. After the HU's software update to the November 2017 version, this stopped happening.
  • Quote:
    Once the infotainment system screen went blank throughout, however the FM was playing. I tried changing the mode (steering switch), it obliged. I made a call from phone, it worked perfectly. All was working except the screen. I turned OFF the ignition again, and then ON which cleared the issue.
Never happened in my Nexon. Not even once.
  • Quote:
    Once I was wearing my PEPS key and unlocked the car, got in and pressed the start button once which unlocks the steering (didn't close the door). But then I had to go back to my home, so came out and closed the door and tried to lock, it was not obliging, the boot was also not opening. I took my key and did a lock/ unlock and then entire thing was back to normal.
This is a safety failsafe. The car won't lock if the electronics are activated. You should have pressed the start button two times more (once for full startup, once again for shutdown), then the car would have got locked.

Quote:
I am not sure what is all these wiered behaviours, but the better thing is, the issues are getting resolved by turning off the ignition.
I suggest getting an update done to the HU's software and also the updation to the BCM module, which is being floated by most Tata dealerships these days. That should solve these issues you are having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Seen the pics through some sources. Too loud, garish and outlandish, IMO. Will attract schoolkids and fashionistas only. Regular buyers might stay away from it.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:20   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Too loud, garish and outlandish, IMO. Will attract schoolkids and fashionistas only. Regular buyers might stay away from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Is TML trying out 'crazy colours' with the Neon Nexon. As RavenAvi said, this would be too loud. For sure the regular buyers will pitch for the safer shades.

Or are they testing the waters for Harrier's paint palette with their existing cars?

Last edited by uday.ere : 2nd September 2018 at 22:23.

Most Viewed