Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 12:19   #1726

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
I have upgraded my low beam projectors to LED's. I Chose Philips Ultinon 6000; got them installed at a FNG. They are plug and play; no wires cut, hence I'm told that there will be no issues with the warranty. They cost about INR 7000 (appx) including installation.
I Made a couple of upgrades to my Nexon. Firstly did not use the branded lights, instead chose the LEDs with higher lumens and ofcourse plug and play, they worked much better and needed very little adjustment
Here is the entire video and the dust cover setup

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2018 at 01:11. Reason: typo fixed
rash3099 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 12:56   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Not many updates on Nexon for a while now from any Bhpians. Please keep on updating your observations, both good and bad. This will help the the fellow BHpians to make their mind to go for Nexon (that includes me )
Old 13th October 2018, 09:16   #1728
BHPian

Some enthusiastic owners have arranged Tata Nexon Anniversary Drive to celebrate launch anniversary and Tata Motors is co-hosting it with them.

Great to see such energy and enthusiasm amongst the owners.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon_drive.jpg

FB Groups: UNO
TNT
DriveOnceMore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 20:58   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Has any Bhpian tried to get a center armrest for driver seat? I had a look at Kraz today and found there is no driver seat armrest. Reason being this car is with xt and xm spec. Now I think if one puts a cushion of say 3 to 4 inches thick on the center part between driver and passenger seats it will work perfectly as arm rest.
Two questions here. Has anybody found a solution to armrest miss? And could somebody get a solution from site such as aliexpress.com or so? For Honda jazz they have a cool solution for lower variant where they use the center bottle/cup holders to fit the removable armrest. Is there such a solution for nexon yet? As expected SA was unaware of anything of this sort.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 17:53   #1730
BHPian

Coming back to this thread after an interval.

Personally, I was going through a bad patch in life. Kerala floods; hospitalisation of my younger daughter; me getting onto a bed rest mode (which never was so) due to a fall from staircase and associated shoulder ligament injury; sickness of my elder daughter; all were keeping me busy and anxious. To add to the worries, the focus on official work was out and the things were piling there. Now I realise the meaning of proverb -- "while you have vision, you don't value the importance of it". My right hand was almost useless and painful and having to do things with one hand (that too not the prominent one) was difficult.

Coming back to the topic of this thread, I completed 2000KM in ODO and had 2 tankfuls in between; sharing the details below.

Few observations
- mileage in CITY mode is better than ECO mode.
- In ECO mode the car is mostly in 5th gear (normal traffic) at 60km speed and the instant mileage indicator is somewhere at 3 quarter level. It never moves to 6th gear unless the speed is beyond 80 kmph which I never go in city.
- In CITY mode the car is mostly in 4th gear at same speed and the instant mileage indicator is about 100% (one block or so less). It moves to 5th gear at times and then the instant mileage indicator drops to just above 50% mark. It never goes to 6th gear and to put it deliberately, I have to pull up to 90 kmph speed.
- I have never driven consistently in SPORTS mode, just used it for the sake of using it. I have used this while I was at a signal which is on a slope and I was going back when I release the brake. Whenever I have used it, I have seen a surge in accelaration. Once I complete the run-in of 3000KM, I will start using SPORTS mode.

Days taken to cover 25 -> 1000KM - 32 days
Days taken to cover 1001 -> 2000KM - 56 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
I crossed 1000 KM in ODO and did the third refill - tank full - and here are the statistics. (above quote has the details of second refill). As I had told earlier, this drive was 100% in CITY mode and what I see is a slight increase in the mileage. I am sure it has nothing to do with the mode or anything, but the fact that I can drive this car better now.
Date of 2nd fill - 28th July
Date of 3rd fill - 14th Aug
KM run - 472.8KM
Fuel consumed - 33.23 L
Mileage - 472.8/33.23 = 14.23KMPL.
Mileage recorded by MID - 19.4KMPL :: margin of error is still huge.
Date of 3rd fill - 14th Aug
Date of 4th fill - 16th Sep
KM run - 469
Fuel consumed - 34.95 L
Mileage - 469/34.95= 13.42KMPL.
Mileage recorded by MID - 18.3KMPL
Mode of drive -- ECO ::
Date of 4th fill - 16th Sep
Date of 5th fill - 7th Oct
KM run - 479KM
Fuel consumed - 35.49 L
Mileage - 479/35.49 = 13.5KMPL.
Mileage recorded by MID - 18.2KMPL
Mode of drive - ECO/ CITY mixed ::
I will keep updating this post at regular intervals.

I had planned 2 Kerala to-fro trips in Dec, but due to my injury, I can't take risk of driving that long and I am now going in train. So, I do not have an input for a long drive experience. I sincerely hope the trip in March 2019 can be done in car. Coming to the city driving experience, I am overwhelmed with the comfort and driving is also a pleasure. However, the blind spots are too pronounced that one have to be extra vigilant, esp. in crowded city lanes.

Last edited by Jakku : 15th October 2018 at 17:53. Reason: correction
Jakku is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 23:37   #1731
BHPian

THE BEAST a.k.a Nexon XZ+ P
Current Odo: 9330kms

Fuel Efficiency: 9.5kmpl to 9.99kmpl (Tankfull Method)
100% City Driving; Driven with light foot ; Maintained speeds of around 60-70kmph; AC ON 90% time; Used City (10%) and Sport (90%) mode only.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180906_074429.jpg

Ride and Handling
- This car has a phenomenal balance of the two. Though a little firmness can be felt, but it is not something that will upset many. On the contrary, this little firmness helps the car handle like a charm. The way it holds its line through corners (inspite having 210mm GC) is just impressive. However, I would like to assert that sudden changes in direction at speeds do unsettle it (CSC kicks in though)

- Highway stability is also commendable. I have done quite a few highway runs and the car felt quite stable and predictable.

- The special mention is earned by the steering unit. Comparing it to past cars I have driven (Grand i10, Vitara Brezza, Baleno, New Ecosport), this unit is just amazing. Light enough in city and weighs enough at higher speeds to let you know what the wheels are upto. It is quite similar to the New Ecosport. There is some grinding noise coming from the unit. Will get it recified shortly.

1.2L Revotron
Using Normal Petrol (91 Octane; correct me if wrong)
-The engine has a significant turbo lag below 1500 rpm. From 1500 to 1900 rpm it starts picking up. 2000 rpm is where pull becomes significant. However crossing 3000-3500 rpm it pulls hard and strong and sings its song. This is the rpm range this engine is best enjoyed in.

-In Sport Mode, the power delivery is very jerky. (At the instance when the throttle is lifted off at rpm 2500 and above). On the other hand the clutch release is also jerky at low speeds, thus taking away the driving experience within city limits. City Mode reduces this jerky nature to quite a bit. So in traffic conditons I switch to it.

Using Petrol 97 Octane
I was surprised to see how change in fuel can change the characteristics of an engine. The Jerkiness and the turbo lag at lower rpm I was talking about previously surprisingly went on a vacation . I was using Sport mode all the time and never felt a need to change it to City Mode, even in traffic conditions. It felt significantly refined in terms of power delivery. (No changes in NVH though). The top end also improved slightly.
Everytime revving the motor passed 3500-4000 rpm and then lifting off the throttle, a burning smell enters the cabin through the AC vents. Have to get it checked too.

Driving Modes
ECO: Useless for me, never used it. Only use I could put it in was while idling because at idle if you switch to ECO it reduces the rpm (by 100-150 approx)

CITY: Use it in traffic as it reduces the jerky nature of Sport Mode.

SPORT: The best mode to enjoy this engine. A slight tap on throttle and it lunges forward. This mode made me name the car THE BEAST

Service Reminder
Shows the kms (countdown starts at 100) and days left (countdown starts at 30) for next due service along with a voice cue.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180907_093745.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180907_093751.jpg

Latest software of infotainment system has reduced the animation time which has made it snappy. Apple Carplay now supported

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180916_195412.jpg

Some of the milestones achieved

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180824_143741.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180915_081226.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20181008_074643.jpg

No major issues so far. This car is surely a head turner and has been grabbing quite a lot of eyeballs.
When I park THE BEAST, I look at it again from a distance and feel happy and content. I think this says it all.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-917729088.png
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20181009_145834_495.jpg
Tata Nexon : Official Review-634509845.png

Last edited by gk.93 : 16th October 2018 at 23:40.
gk.93 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 08:46   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.93 View Post
Everytime revving the motor passed 3500-4000 rpm and then lifting off the throttle, a burning smell enters the cabin through the AC vents. Have to get it checked too.
Question: What are the scenarios when you will exceed 3000 rpm for 1.2L car? I am seeing that with a car of 1.4L(my ertiga), it reaches 3000rpm when I touch 100kmph on highways, not otherwise with light foot. With Nexon when you mention >3000rpm, just curious to know when you will hit that number? Smaller engines do nicely at lower rpm (e.g. 1.2L engines will hit 100kmph at probably 2500 rpm or so). I am a potential buyer for Nexon P, just waiting for my vitamin M deficiency to go away
Old 17th October 2018, 10:40   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Question: What are the scenarios when you will exceed 3000 rpm for 1.2L car?
Whenever you want a bit of zip, because to get more power you will need to hold a lower gear at higher rpm.

Quote:
Smaller engines do nicely at lower rpm (e.g. 1.2L engines will hit 100kmph at probably 2500 rpm or so).
Quite the opposite. Large capacity engines have greater torque which allows taller gearing - 100kmph at a lower rpm. Smaller engines will need to be near their peak torque band at higher speeds - 100kmph at higher rpm. Which is also why smaller capacity cars with overdrive frequently reach their top speed in a gear lower than their top gear.
VeluM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 20:31   #1734
Senior - BHPian

I came across some You-Tube videos regarding Nexon petrol. Again one video saying petrol engines cannot be called reliable or unreliable. What is the general opinion here as such for Petrol variants? Questions I have are as under, please help me.
1. The reliability part - again some you-tube videos saying engine has issues in starting, some jerkiness, bad service and on road assistance, some reviews about getting stranded on roads since car got stalled etc. a bit disappointing. Whereas other videos admiring Nexon to fullest.
2. Fuel efficiency - some videos claim 20kmpl (impossible) by saying the displayed mileage is 3-4 km more than real, others saying it is really bad (8-9kmpl), totally the other side. Tough to make any call.
3. Accessories - I am planning for XM, so no rear camera or seat height adjustment. How good is this after market camera if I buy from TATA itself and get fitted? Has anybody installed it here? Also is there any good cushion which can help shorter people to get some elevation on driver's seat? (for women drivers)
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:03   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
I came across some You-Tube videos regarding Nexon petrol. Again one video saying petrol engines cannot be called reliable or unreliable. What is the general opinion here as such for Petrol variants? Questions I have are as under, please help me.
I can only share my experience but can't comment in the reliability factor as the car has only covered 7000 kilometres. The engine may not be the quietest, but certainly has got some spirit. Coming from a diesel car, I don't find the engine to be particularly noisy either. It's especially quiet once the windows are rolled up.

The fuel consumption has been a mixed bag, but certainly predictable. The highest I have seen is 20kmpl during my sedate drive from Bangalore to Dindigul in NH7. Most of my highway drives see around 15-16 kmpl, though. My drive within Bangalore usually fetches me a paltry 12ish (this if I start early in the morning).

I mostly drive with city mode in the city and a combination of eco and sport on highways. And ac is mostly on.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:21   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I can only share my experience but can't comment in the reliability factor as the car has only covered 7000 kilometres.
Did you notice any hiccups as mentioned in videos? I think 7000KMs is a good sample for any data.

Quote:
The fuel consumption has been a mixed bag, but certainly predictable. The highest I have seen is 20kmpl during my sedate drive from Bangalore to Dindigul in NH7. Most of my highway drives see around 15-16 kmpl, though. My drive within Bangalore usually fetches me a paltry 12ish (this if I start early in the morning).
Did you confirm these figures with tankful method as well?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 23rd October 2018 at 21:24.
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:41   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice any hiccups as mentioned in videos? I think 7000KMs is a good sample for any data.
I didnt watch the full video, but I didn't experience any hiccups or stutter whatsoever.

Quote:
Did you confirm these figures with tankful method as well?
Did that a couple of times and found it to be about 0.5 - 1.0 lesser than the MID figures.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 08:17   #1738
BHPian

Done 2k+ kms so far. No issues. It's a 3-pot, so it's louder than our Civic and City, but not as loud as the Tiago, and certainly not bothersome when on the move with windows rolled up.

Done jerkiness in the creep mode and reverse, but on the move and with a light foot, AMT is very drivable.

I've averaged 7-8 in the city with slow moving traffic. Max of 9. This is a little disappointing, I'm hoping it goes up to 10 at least.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:34   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.93 View Post
I have this issue in my Tigor as well of all the minor issues, this has to be the most annoying one! Tigor being heavy as well as losing the turbo means more revs just the extract all the power, hence I get this smell very often.

P.S: Many Tigor owners have reported this issues too, would be of great help if you could update about this if it is resolved on your car.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:11   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
I can only share my experience but can't comment in the reliability factor as the car has only covered 7000 kilometres. The engine may not be the quietest, but certainly has got some spirit. Coming from a diesel car, I don't find the engine to be particularly noisy either. It's especially quiet once the windows are rolled up.

I mostly drive with city mode in the city and a combination of eco and sport on highways. And ac is mostly on.
Hi - At what speeds were you able to achieve this mileage of 15-16 on the highway?

Also, does the engine has enough grunt to reach top speeds on the highways? does it feel strained with a full load?

Most Viewed