Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 11:56   #1741
BANNED

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Question: What are the scenarios when you will exceed 3000 rpm for 1.2L car? I am seeing that with a car of 1.4L(my ertiga), it reaches 3000rpm when I touch 100kmph on highways, not otherwise with light foot.
I am by this comment. I think you have not made use of the VVT technology used in the 1.4L engine in your Ertiga. Definitely Ertiga being an MPV (or should I call it LUV) is not meant for high revving dashes, but still. Will you be confused if I say I have seen 6500 rpm in 1st gear and the same rpm in 2nd gear in my Honda City i-vtec? Go through websites or youtube videos which explain 'How a VVT or i-vtec or VVTi engine works' and it will be a revelation for you to know that 'you have never experienced the max power or torque of your engine'.

Note : I don't know in what sense you take the above comments, but all those words are the outcome of an extremely myself. My apologies if the above comments hurt you.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 13:11   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I am by this comment. I think you have not made use of the VVT technology used in the 1.4L engine in your Ertiga.

Nope. If I get more info from anyone I am not hurt . Now I am not interested in revving the engine if it serves me my purpose at low rpms. Also I try to extract highest mileage from my car no matter if in city or on highways. If I reach my desired speed of 100kmph at 3000rpm, why should I push it further? So the comment was from my perspective.

PS: I get 19.5 kmpl as average from most of my highway trips in petrol Ertiga.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 24th October 2018 at 13:23.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 13:28   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am by this comment. I think you have not made use of the VVT technology used in the 1.4L engine in your Ertiga.
Quote:
Now I am not interested in revving the engine if it serves me my purpose at low rpms. Also I try to extract highest mileage from my car no matter if in city or on highways.
PS: I get 19.5 kmpl as average from most of my highway trips in petrol Ertiga.
On a lighter note and MODS please feel free to delete this post.

I don't think with that style of driving that Ertiga VVT is a VVT any longer. Those valves must have frozen in their place by now and just working at one setting. Lol.

If 19+ highway mileage is a psychological benchmark, then I daresay you should look at some options other than the Nexon. You will definitely not be getting as much with this inherently heavy car, but then (Hmmmmmm) you actually might!
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 13:33   #1744
BANNED

Quote:
Nope. If I get more info from anyone I am not hurt . Now I am not interested in revving the engine if it serves me my purpose at low rpms. Also I try to extract highest mileage from my car no matter if in city or on highways. If I reach my desired speed of 100kmph at 3000rpm, why should I push it further? So the comment was from my perspective.
If life is all about 'being sedate', then I think a tachometer should be reading up to 3500 rpm, no tire up size suggestions should happen, no Michelins instead of cheap Chinese tires, no iPhones instead of cheap Chinese phones, no super cars or sports cars and the more important thing 'The very existence of this community itself becomes meaningless'. I have already heard a lot from people 'you are stupid to reduce your fuel efficiency by going for a bigger tire, you are stupid not to buy a diesel as you have comparatively high running, you are stupid to paint car grille black - chrome is premium, you are stupid to waste your money in buying alloy wheels' etc. I would still prefer to be the same 'stupid' for my entire life provided my financial situation does not fall to a deep pit.

Note : I saw an entry for civic as one of your acquisitions, which is making me more .
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 13:56   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
If life is all about 'being sedate', then I think a tachometer should be reading up to 3500 rpm, no tire up size suggestions should happen, no Michelins instead of cheap Chinese tires, no iPhones instead of cheap Chinese phones, no super cars or sports cars and the more important thing 'The very existence of this community itself becomes meaningless'. I have already heard a lot from people 'you are stupid to reduce your fuel efficiency by going for a bigger tire, you are stupid not to buy a diesel as you have comparatively high running, you are stupid to paint car grille black - chrome is premium, you are stupid to waste your money in buying alloy wheels' etc. I would still prefer to be the same 'stupid' for my entire life provided my financial situation does not fall to a deep pit.

Note : I saw an entry for civic as one of your acquisitions, which is making me more .
For the entire sense of the post, only one thing I can point out to be really a stupid thing is - to call out an Iphone as an example among otherwise perfect examples you gave
Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 14:09   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I have this issue in my Tigor as well of all the minor issues, this has to be the most annoying one! Tigor being heavy as well as losing the turbo means more revs just the extract all the power, hence I get this smell very often.

P.S: Many Tigor owners have reported this issues too, would be of great help if you could update about this if it is resolved on your car.
In my Tigor the problem has subsided to a great extent now. Its done 6k kms and the burning smell has definitly reduced compared to what it was when new.

Having said that, do take your car to service center and ask them to check what the issue really is. In my case they were unable to diagnose anything (what better to expect from TATA A.S.S. :-( ), and asked me to keep putting more miles and it will vanish (they were correct on this part it seems ).
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 17:17   #1747
BHPian

Whatever needs to burn will burn and when there is nothing to burn, the smell will disappear seems to be their stance
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 09:18   #1748

If I may include the Nexon Petrol AMT (XZA+; done 4600 km) figures here, the best I have seen in MID after a long (330 km) highway run is 16.8 kmpl. Peak speed was 120 kmph. That was followed by around 150 km in city traffic over a few days. MID dropped to 14.9 kmpl however the tankful method gave 12.7 kmpl (483 km / 38 l).

The best efficiency I have recorded in tankful method is 13.3 kmpl, which was over a 90% highway travel out of 400 km, while MID had shown 15.4 kmpl.
gokuldasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 12:25   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
If 19+ highway mileage is a psychological benchmark, then I daresay you should look at some options other than the Nexon. You will definitely not be getting as much with this inherently heavy car, but then (Hmmmmmm) you actually might!

Actually, it's far from impossible with the Nexon as I noted in my earlier post on this thread. But the question, how long can you resist enjoying the car a bit? The 19 something I recorded was a one off that involved a drive from a higher altitude and solo passenger on a largely empty road. The usual 15+ I get nowadays are not bad at all for a petrol car. I think the 6th gear kind of offsets whatever heavy-foot there might be on the A pedal.
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 14:46   #1750
BHPian

Folks - Pardon me, but I just had to post this. This is not about the Nexon petrol that i test drove (even though i will talk about it), but more to do with the sales executives that had come for the test drive.

First about the test drive: I had a nice 25kms drive of the Nexon petrol. Most of the things are already covered on this. It has decent power and pick up. The NVH levels are good, the engine is free revving. It could have done with more power for sure. The average at the end of the drive was showing some 10+ even though it hit 13 sometime in the middle. Steering is nicely weighted as speed picks up and very light in city.

The only annoying thing i noticed was the clutch and accelerator actuating point.

The car was extremely jerky every time I released the clutch. I tried this in all the modes and the jerkiness remained. How do the owners feel about this? I never ever stalled the car during the course of the test drive.

Now coming to sales executives: There were two of them. One an elderly gentlemen. I asked them some basic questions and here are the answers

Me: what is the roof color in dual tone option
Them: Sir am not sure, i joined recently. Elderly SE said he was not sure either

Me: What kind of petrol engine does this come with?
Them: Sir this is a 1.2L petrol engine (and silence)

By this time i let things go, since I was already aware of most things and focused on the drive.

Somewhere during the course of the drive, the elderly SE suddenly wakes up and says "Sir it has a rear defogger" am like

The SE sitting behind is prodding the elderly SE to explain the features to me, but our man is like a dead chicken.

At the fag end of the drive, the elderly SE again suddenly wakes up and says "Sir the car has Auto AC"

I told them am evaluating Brezza and Ecosport, but there was no reaction from them !!! and I didn't expect any response either.

They were supposed to tell me about the offers, they didn't do that either. Apparently there are some offers going on for Nexon.

Well, what do i say, this being one of the new cars from Tata, the SE should have basic knowledge of the cars they are going to sell.
NFS2024 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 15:02   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Well, what do i say, this being one of the new cars from Tata, the SE should have basic knowledge of the cars they are going to sell.
Whenever I walk into TATA showroom, I get a feeling that they are least bothered to sell the cars to us. Especially Concorde Motors.

Last week a Sales Executive from TATA ASS was putting up a banner in the cafeteria detailing TATA Car offers for festival season. I just casually went to him to enquire and all he answered was "Sir, I have been asked to man this desk. If you want any information call this number".

Regards
Old 25th October 2018, 15:08   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - Pardon me, but I just had to post this. This is not about the Nexon petrol that i test drove (even though i will talk about it), but more to do with the sales executives that had come for the test drive.

First about the test drive: I had a nice 25kms drive of the Nexon petrol. Most of the things are already covered on this. It has decent power and pick up. The NVH levels are good, the engine is free revving. It could have done with more power for sure. The average at the end of the drive was showing some 10+ even though it hit 13 sometime in the middle. Steering is nicely weighted as speed picks up and very light in city.

The only annoying thing i noticed was the clutch and accelerator actuating point.

The car was extremely jerky every time I released the clutch. I tried this in all the modes and the jerkiness remained. How do the owners feel about this? I never ever stalled the car during the course of the test drive.
I never tried the manual version, but I find the AMT slightly jerky only in the City mode. I alternate between only the Eco and Sport modes, more so the latter.

Regarding the pre and post sale experience, they still have a long way to go.
Right now, in my opinion, these new crop of Tata products are not being SOLD, they are being BOUGHT.
That kinda reflects-
1. The inherent strength of the product
2. The lost market opportunity for Tata
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 02:34   #1753
BANNED

Is anyone noticing noises on gear changes and more importantly jerks especially in the initial gears? This issue is not limited to cold starts.
Also, I read there is an ECU update for the diesel but it makes the engine noisier. Does anyone have experience to share about this?
Old 27th October 2018, 09:19   #1754
Distinguished - BHPian

I felt one thing in India that is par excellence is the businessman's zeal to earn money. Going by so many below average dealership experiences, I wonder what are these Tata dealers doing. The dealership staff has to be trained and motivated to do their job by the respective dealership. I wonder if Tata can really do anything in this apart from initial training. It applies to all institutions and traditionally this is the reason why we have always felt that private sector trumps any government set up as there is no motivation/stick approach in the latter.
Earlier they didn't have good cars to sell. Now that there has been a drastic turn of events in their favour with some great cars launched and new ones coming up, I wonder what are they still waiting for. After all each unit sold = money for the dealership. If they can't train their staff, they can atleast go around and poach a few people from the neighboring Maruti and Hyundai dealerships who know how to sell their cars. The difference between the motivation levels is so huge.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th October 2018 at 09:20.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 11:12   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Question to Nexon P XZA owners:

Guess by now you have completed a few thousand kilometres and done with first service. How's the auto transmission performance in b2b traffic for example in cities like Bangalore/mumbai/kolkata?

Secondly what sort of mileage do you get from the petrol motor? For someone looking for high GC petrol AT compact UV, ecosport and nexon seem to be the only options currently. I understand the TC gearbox in Ecosport is superior of the two, but knowing real-world experience helps. Is it(nexon petrol AMT) as bad as other 3 cylinder cars like celerio and all? Or is it liveable?

What I understand from Ecosport thread is that the AT is wonderful and the realtime city mileage is around 8-9kmpl. Want to check how different is the Nexon P AMT.

P.S: Am not too keen on diesels, so the query is exclusively for the petrol motor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks