Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 10:15   #1921
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

After navigating a steep climb on a narrow road in south Bengalooru, squeezing in between parked cars and oncoming vehicles at high revs in 1st gear, the AMT warning light started flashing. This happened after just about 500 meters of such driving. I had to stop for a minute and the light went away. Has anyone else seen such behaviour?
Old 16th January 2019, 12:11   #1922
BHPian

Diesel guys seem to be lucky! For the first tank fill in my petrol AMT, MID showed 8kmpl and tankful to tankful showed 7.5kmpl, not much of a difference though but mileage was BAD!
The current one is showing 11+kmpl till now, as this also involved some highway travel. During the highway run, average was 13kmpl+ as per MID and am not yet pushing the car anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I tend to agree with you. My car showed 30KMPL on my last highway drive, so I know its between 25 and 27 KMPL. One guy's has got 32-35 KMPL on mid, in my 'Nexonites' group But since the figures - by themselves are impressive, I still have my grin intact!

Last edited by asethi : 16th January 2019 at 12:14. Reason: Added quote
Old 16th January 2019, 18:27   #1923
BHPian

After the first fill up I went on a drive to another city which is around 250 kms from my place. The drive was a mix of City and a bit of Sports mode. The MID showed a figure of around 21.1 kmpl and boy I was happy. When I went for the second fill up it the average I actually got was 16.64km/l. Will go for another fillup tomorrow and would share the new mileage figures.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20190116180716.jpg

Also, went for first free service last weekend in which they did an update to the ECU. As per them there were complaints that the car performance was a bit sluggish. This update is to fix this issue.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190112_114832.jpg
Apologies for the image quality. That is what I could manage as the person who was updating was not very comfortable with me sitting in the car while he was updating but I insisted that I want to see what is going on.
racsaxen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 19:37   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Diesel guys seem to be lucky! For the first tank fill in my petrol AMT, MID showed 8kmpl and tankful to tankful showed 7.5kmpl, not much of a difference though but mileage was BAD!
The current one is showing 11+kmpl till now, as this also involved some highway travel. During the highway run, average was 13kmpl+ as per MID and am not yet pushing the car anyway.
I get similar numbers for mine too in stop and go Bangalore traffic. The mileage difference between the petrol and Diesel is quite substantial. I wonder why. In other cars, it's not to this extent.

After the 2nd service, the gear shifts, power delivery and creep mode have become noticeably smoother.
Old 16th January 2019, 20:17   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
The mileage difference between the petrol and Diesel is quite substantial. I wonder why.

In other cars, it's not to this extent.
Sure it is. My petrol Aspire, for example, gives me an average mileage of about 12 kmpl. I do drive with a heavy foot, and with a light foot one may get up to 13 - 15 in city traffic. Highway mileage is about 18 in the best case. The diesel Aspire on the other hand gives at least 17-18 in any condition, any style of driving. On the highways people easily get 24-25 and even in the 30s if you have the patience.

So don't worry. The Nexon is not special in that sense.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 22:39   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
I get similar numbers for mine too in stop and go Bangalore traffic. The mileage difference between the petrol and Diesel is quite substantial. I wonder why. In other cars, it's not to this extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Sure it is.
So don't worry. The Nexon is not special in that sense.
Just to add to what Sam said about the difference between the mileage of a petrol and diesel version of the same car, the Nexon is a turbo-petrol, which is significant in that small turbo-petrols with high power output have large variations in mileage based on driving styles and conditions.

Stop and go traffic typically means darting into gaps or at the last trying to ensure that no one else squeezes into the gap in front. This results in much lower mileage than even a similar capacity NA engine because the capacity of a turbo at boost is greater than the swept volume quoted. Effectively it is a 1.8 petrol (as an example) with the associated fuelling requirements to produce the advertised power/torque.

If driven with a light foot, the engine should return figures close to (but still higher than) an NA 1.2 petrol though.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 07:18   #1927
BHPian

Have anyone noticed the quality of material used in the car roof/top? I just knuckled the roof and found that it is be poor quality compared to other areas and sounds so plastic-ky! Did the same with my 10 old fiesta and it is way ahead of the former.
Old 21st January 2019, 23:02   #1928
BHPian

Sorry if this is not the right thread but those with a petrol Nexon kindly shed some light on the mileage that they are getting?
I tried to search in the other thread, but I couldn't find a lot of posts with this info.
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:02   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Sorry if this is not the right thread but those with a petrol Nexon kindly shed some light on the mileage that they are getting?
I tried to search in the other thread, but I couldn't find a lot of posts with this info.
After about 7000 kms, here's what I am getting in mixed Delhi NCR+Highway use-

Overall till date: 12.3 kmpl
Previous 3 tank-fulls: 13.6 kmpl

City Mode: 10-11 kmpl
Sport Mode: 11-13 kmpl
Eco Mode: 12-14 kmpl
Manual Mode: 13-16 kmpl

I mostly drive on Eco, and switch to Manual for rapid response.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:36   #1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Nexon Petrol XZA+

4500 kms

Pune - Hinjawadi

Overall till date: 13 kmpl

City Mode: 11 kmpl
Sport Mode: 12 kmpl
Eco Mode: 13.5 kmpl

I mostly drive on Eco

Took a couple of Highway trips. Aurangabad (275 KMs) and Bombay (172). Mostly Echo and some Sport for Overtaking. But in one Tankful, I went to Aurangabad drove in City for a couple of days. And returned.

Ditto Bombay tour.

Seems Echo mode on Highways give awesome mileage. (Around 20 I guess)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd January 2019 at 10:41. Reason: minor formatting
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:04   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
After about 7000 kms,

City Mode: 10-11 kmpl
Sport Mode: 11-13 kmpl
Eco Mode: 12-14 kmpl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhalkikar View Post
Nexon Petrol XZA+

4500 kms

City Mode: 11 kmpl
Sport Mode: 12 kmpl
Eco Mode: 13.5 kmpl
SPORT Mode generates the highest power and torque (110ps)
So ideally it should give the least mileage.

Surprisingly both have quoted CITY Mode (90ps) giving the least mileage?
Any reason for this? Is the jerky AMT to blame?
Or is it a Typo Error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Is Petrol AMT jerky?
On City Mode - Yes Somewhat
On Eco, Sport or Manual - No

Last edited by JS Kwt : 22nd January 2019 at 11:22.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:57   #1932
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Or is it a Typo Error?
Just my assumption, can be completely wrong. CITY mode aids better drivability by providing power at much lower rpms when compared to SPORT mode that delivers more power but at much higher rpms. So in CITY mode even though the throttle is applied less, more fuel may be utilised for power generation as the gear ratios are remaining the same across the different modes. ECO mode is nothing but a mode which limits the fuel supply hence better mileage.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:04   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Or is it a Typo Error?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Just my assumption, can be completely wrong. CITY mode aids better drivability by providing power at much lower rpms when compared to SPORT mode that delivers more power but at much higher rpms. So in CITY mode even though the throttle is applied less, more fuel may be utilised for power generation as the gear ratios are remaining the same across the different modes. ECO mode is nothing but a mode which limits the fuel supply hence better mileage.
- The CITY Mode, and this is my opinion, runs with relatively richer Fuelling than the Eco Mode, but the Gear shift points are horrible. That results in a bit of jerkiness.
- The SPORT Mode is indeed richly fuelled and the gear shifts are late and in the sweet spot in the torque band. This results in robust acceleration and decent economy.
- The ECO Mode benefits from Lean fuelling and allows the engine to amble along while you are moving at a steady pace on long stretches. The AMT is very smooth in this mode.

Last edited by roy_libran : 22nd January 2019 at 12:09.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:28   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
After navigating a steep climb on a narrow road in south Bengalooru, squeezing in between parked cars and oncoming vehicles at high revs in 1st gear, the AMT warning light started flashing. This happened after just about 500 meters of such driving. I had to stop for a minute and the light went away. Has anyone else seen such behaviour?
I got this crossing the Shiradi Ghats, and there was a 5 km pileup, and very slow bumper to bumper movement with added challenge of steep roads. The AMT light came up regularly, and vanished once the roads were clear. I guessed moving in 1st gear for a long time made the AMT think there is a problem, or the AMT box heated up(If such a thing is possible)?
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:24   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthacharya View Post
I got this crossing the Shiradi Ghats, and there was a 5 km pileup, and very slow bumper to bumper movement with added challenge of steep roads. The AMT light came up regularly, and vanished once the roads were clear. I guessed moving in 1st gear for a long time made the AMT think there is a problem, or the AMT box heated up(If such a thing is possible)?
I think it is an indication of genuine heating in the AMT. The manuals recommends parking the car once the warning starts blinking AFAIK.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks