Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:25   #2686
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The upcoming Nexon2020 looks smashing. Very eager to see 'the polarising' rear.

The car looks nice. But somehow I feel it like a completely edited image. That wheels don't match, the surroundings don't match, front wheel looks like much bigger than the rear. Agreed it is perspective view but still it seems odd. And it has got a reflection on the road too. Plus half of the fuel lid is missing.

I wonder whether it is just an imagination of the artist.

Attaching an image I found in the net for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexone.jpg  

Last edited by RideRanger : 2nd October 2019 at 22:27.
RideRanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:44   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRanger View Post
The car looks nice. But somehow I feel it like a completely edited image. That wheels don't match, the surroundings don't match, front wheel looks like much bigger than the rear. Agreed it is perspective view but still it seems odd. And it has got a reflection on the road too. Plus half of the fuel lid is missing.

I wonder whether it is just an imagination of the artist.

Attaching an image I found in the net for reference
Yeah, it's a render. The artist undoubtedly grafted/took inspiration from the headlights of the facelift Nexon that was seen testing recently. It's attached in the cartoq article that @sebring posted a screenshot of.

Source
Attached Images

raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:02   #2688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
You can procure new spec (XZ+) headlamp units and replace your existing ones. It is doable. It will set ou back by around 20-25k I'm guessing. I think you'll be able to find the exact pricing on Boodmo parts portal. Do you think the stock halogen projectors and DRL are worth that much?

Standard Nexon fog lamps are only 19W and very little of real use. I'd suggest you install good quality xenon HID projector fog lamps & retain your existing headlamps as they are. You'll get this done under 10k and gain a lot of real utility rather than just looks to show off.

Welcome to the forum! See you around.
WOW! 20-25k is too steep. I only hoped that I could get an OEM fit and finish if I got it from TAMO itself. Will definitely go for a good after market fog lamps, then. Any suggestions on good after market dealers who could assist with the fit as well, in Bangalore ? I have had some tough times at JC Road. Thanks a ton for the suggestion and the welcome!
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:02   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbharadwaj16 View Post
WOW! 20-25k is too steep. I only hoped that I could get an OEM fit and finish if I got it from TAMO itself. Will definitely go for a good after market fog lamps, then. Any suggestions on good after market dealers who could assist with the fit as well, in Bangalore ? I have had some tough times at JC Road. Thanks a ton for the suggestion and the welcome!
The Top variant lights (with DRL) cost ₹10,500 per piece. Also the wiring will be different, it will not be plug and play. There is also a DRL control module needed that controls the DRL functions. Not worth the hassle IMHO.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:50   #2690

Big news coming out of TAMO today. TATA has officially launched NEXON EV website. The website looks cool. Wondering what would be a realistic drive range !!

Check it out here: https://ev.tatamotors.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
The Top variant lights (with DRL) cost ₹10,500 per piece. Also the wiring will be different, it will not be plug and play. There is also a DRL control module needed that controls the DRL functions. Not worth the hassle IMHO.
Yes, I have dropped the plan of going ahead with the OEM. Planning a visit to JC Road this weekend. Hopeful that it would end well for me.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th October 2019 at 11:01. Reason: Back to back posts.
rbharadwaj16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:57   #2691
BANNED

Quote:
WOW! 20-25k is too steep. I only hoped that I could get an OEM fit and finish if I got it from TAMO itself.
Not at all, compared to the aftermarket-ish DRLs of S-Presso(only DRLs) which cost Rs 9,990/-.
Attached Images

Old 3rd October 2019, 20:05   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WOW! 20-25k is too steep. I only hoped that I could get an OEM fit and finish if I got it from TAMO itself.
Nexon Headlight assembly with DRL costs 9.8k(per side) in boodmo

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-head...l_lh-37963669/

I was planning to do this upgrade, but had to put it on hold for now due audio upgrade.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:10   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Big news coming out of TAMO today. TATA has officially launched NEXON EV website. The website looks cool. Wondering what would be a realistic drive range !!

Check it out here: https://ev.tatamotors.com/
Well with Diesel the range is about 420KM thanks to the small fuel tank. petrol should be about 320-330.

With the heavy car I don't expect the range to be more than 200-250KM tops
Old 4th October 2019, 10:24   #2694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Well with Diesel the range is about 420KM
I tend to go quite a lot further than that on a tank-full.
Quote:
With the heavy car I don't expect the range to be more than 200-250KM tops
Yes. Real world range of 200-250 is what we should expect I think. You are right. With AC, people/luggage load this is what it will mostly deliver. Which is okay for an urban car of its size I think. And EVs tend to give more "mileage" in city conditions rather than highway drives. So take it out for a spirited highway drive & it may well drop below 200 even. Thats still expected and acceptable for a large car. Is in lines with what its contemporaries are doing pretty much.

Good to see main-stream cars now turning pages to become EVs. This should give a much needed shot in the arm for smaller start-ups who can start businesses for providing customers with electric fitments, charging stations etc at homes. And that will start driving sales up in urban areas. A good potential of small scale jobs due to EVs. Needs to be harvested well.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:39   #2695
Senior - BHPian

The problem I have with mainstream cars going EV is that it wasn't designed for EV in the first place. I would appreciate a ground up design approach. For example we have seen Tata and Mahindra retrofit EV batteries on the sedans. They just plonk the whole thing in the boot, whereas a Kona would have it neatly underneath - (below the floor board). The electricals are all so neat & well within reach, and not haphazardly placed like some 'college science project'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Good to see main-stream cars now turning pages to become EVs. This should give a much needed shot in the arm for smaller start-ups who can start businesses for providing customers with electric fitments, charging stations etc at homes
Sebring is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 11:52   #2696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The problem I have with mainstream cars going EV is that it wasn't designed for EV in the first place. I would appreciate a ground up design approach. For example we have seen Tata and Mahindra retrofit EV batteries on the sedans. They just plonk the whole thing in the boot, whereas a Kona would have it neatly underneath - (below the floor board). The electricals are all so neat & well within reach, and not haphazardly placed like some 'college science project'.
If you look at the ZipTron schematics and product details, the battery pack indeed is designed to be flush under the floor pan & through the floor transmission tunnel. And then it will have a bulk under the seats where conventional fuel tank otherwise would sit. None of it is going into the boot at all. So its no longer a retro-fit. In case of the XUV300 also, the battery is designed to fit under the monocoque, not in the boot. So a step up has happened in a span of 2 years since they started making their pilot projects with EVs.

On the other hand, I feel its a bit early to start making large EVs for Indian use. In my opinion, it should be a 2 step approach (which includes your thought about a ground-up design for EV). I feel the E2O was the right thing. Small city cars with decent range should be the first step to make EVs common on our road. Just like the M800 did, these micro-size EVs will take the technology to people's doorsteps en mass. That will bring confidence about it's ownership and volume money to run a sustainable business. Phase 2 after 3-4 years should be large sedans, SUVs for mainstream business. This way, EVs will become more common rather than being a bling/niche area I think. An EV 2nd car is far more realistic given current technical availability & EV infrastructure reach at homes. How does that sound? I don't think Kona, Nexon and XUV300 are really "2nd car" material by our standards.

(P.S. - AFAIK the Kona isn't an electric only car either. It has ICE version too. I think similar to that, Tata had envisioned converting the Nexon to an EV during design stage. It's wide floor hump, very high ground clearance, very curvy + low drag design contrary to "SUV" norms and lighter than usual Tata build are actually signs that it was marked to be an EV from design stage.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th October 2019 at 11:58.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 19:00   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Well with Diesel the range is about 420KM thanks to the small fuel tank. petrol should be about 320-330.
Are you talking about Nexon?!

In my Nexon I get a range of 750+ kms with full tank diesel.

From FAQ Section:
"What is the driving range of Nexon EV - The Electric SUV?
Nexon EV - The Electric SUV is powered by ZIPTRON technology and the certified range will be around 300 kms."

Last edited by avingodb : 4th October 2019 at 19:03.
avingodb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 08:04   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Are you talking about Nexon?!

In my Nexon I get a range of 750+ kms with full tank diesel.
I was talking about in city range. Electric version will be most likely used in city.
Old 8th October 2019, 21:22   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about in city range
Even then, these are wrong estimates; its possible to cover 600+ kms with diesel within city (now I would avoid getting into Delhi v Banglore v. someplace else debate here). In any case, comparing petrol and diesel ranges with EV range itself is a false start in my opinion.

In other news I would like to share with all I just completed another 1000 km roadtrip from Delhi to Amritsar with 5 adults and their luggage on board. The full tank method showed 18.9 km and I am really happy with it given this is with full use of AC and some spirited overtakes to showcase Sport mode . I have now done 4 1k+ km trips with Nexon with the longest being the Delhi Mumbai roundtrip at 4.2k km in Dec-18 Jan19!

The car now stands at 22,000 kms and next service would be done sometime next week.

Last edited by avingodb : 8th October 2019 at 21:26.
avingodb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 09:53   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Even then, these are wrong estimates; its possible to cover 600+ kms with diesel within city (now I would avoid getting into Delhi v Banglore v. someplace else debate here). In any case, comparing petrol and diesel ranges with EV range itself is a false start in my opinion.
Maybe I was not clear enough. If you are talking about range (DTE+ Trip) then yes it is always been 600+ Km for me.
I usually fill up with DTE 170-180 Km to avoid fuel pump damage and the trip is generally 420-430 so I mentioned the realistic range as 430.

Had a tank fill up today, below are the details.
Current ODO: 7458
Loss of Tyre pressure: 1PSI each wheel over 25 days. I drove very little in the past month.
Total fuel (Diesel) consumed: 29.96L. Brand: Shell. Cost: Rs.2092.71. Rate: Rs.68.95/L
FE as per MID: 18.4KMPL
FE as per T2T: 15.22 KMPL (Same bunk, same dispenser, similar time morning 8:15)
Complete city driving. Average speed varied between 11KMPH to 18KMPH
AC use full time with ACC set at 24 degree.
Today hit low fuel warning first time since I got the car. At this point the tank took in 30L so on low fuel there is about 14L of fuel still left.

My wife also noticed that the engine has become smoother than before the oil change, so it was not placebo effect.
Funnily the headlight illumination seems to have improved. I have not touched it in anyway.
Apart from odd and faint rattle from one of the doors, no complaints. The ride quality is good, space is sufficient. Pretty happy to have gone for this car.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2019 at 10:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed