Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 00:48   #3421

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Hey Folks,

Been driving Nexon for a close couple of years now and I have the XZ version from 2018. The only gripe I have so far is it's poor visibility at nights. I happen to drive one of my friend's nexon recently and was quite happy with the additional light that the fog lamps provided.

Does anyone know if OEM fog lamps can be installed in my car by any TATA service centers in Bengaluru, provided that even XT+ (and above) variants were provided with fog lamps and DRL's during a minor face-lift nexon received in 2019.

Also, any suggestions on headlights upgrade would be really helpful. I'm not much of a DIY person and hence would prefer more of plug n play.

Any leads towards this would be highly appreciated!
Old 30th November 2020, 06:53   #3422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbharadwaj16 View Post
Hey Folks,

Been driving Nexon for a close couple of years now and I have the XZ version from 2018. The only gripe I have so far is it's poor visibility at nights. I happen to drive one of my friend's nexon recently and was quite happy with the additional light that the fog lamps provided.

Does anyone know if OEM fog lamps can be installed in my car by any TATA service centers in Bengaluru, provided that even XT+ (and above) variants were provided with fog lamps and DRL's during a minor face-lift nexon received in 2019.

Also, any suggestions on headlights upgrade would be really helpful. I'm not much of a DIY person and hence would prefer more of plug n play.

Any leads towards this would be highly appreciated!
Not sure if service centers does those accessories install, but the showroom does. You can get one installed from the guy who sells accessories. But the original fog are just 19w, so doesn't really make any difference. You can replace the bulbs with an led one though.

For headlights you can look for philips led ones available in amazon. Those are plug and play, just swap out the halogen bulbs to led ones. Verify the bulb types, i believe your models were also h7 for high and low, check the manual before purchase.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:21   #3423

Hello Fellow Nexon Riders,

TATA recently received an elevate/techno+ pack for Nexon. It has :

1. Front Parking Sensors
2. Air Purifier
3. Ambient Lighting
4. Illuminated Scuff plates
5. Wireless charger with holder

https://motoroctane.com/news/211104-nexon-techno-pack

I think the price for the pack is 18K. While I can't really comment on the value for money factor here, I do feel that this combination of safety and cosmetic changes was brought about so that Nexon doesn't loose out to its competitors especially after the Sonet's launch. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I personally like this pack. I'm planning to install a bird view camera, HID lights and maybe get the Nexon's tail light's redesigned (Possibly install the Matrix LED tail lights if available).
J_K_A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 18:08   #3424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbharadwaj16 View Post
OEM fog lights can of course be installed. However it will not be plug and play. You'll need to install a separate relay harness & will also have to add a toggle switch on the dashboard somewhere to power it ON and OFF. Unless of course you hook up the relay harness with the parking lamp. Then they will turn ON when you turn on the position lamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A View Post
Hello Fellow Nexon Riders,
TATA recently received an elevate/techno+ pack for Nexon. It has :

1. Front Parking Sensors
2. Air Purifier
3. Ambient Lighting
4. Illuminated Scuff plates
5. Wireless charger with holder
I don't think even after-market stuff looks as awkward as this OEM Pack's contents. Barring the scuff plates perhaps, rest looks very weird.
  1. White coloured front parking sensors will look eyesore on any car other than white!
  2. The air-purifier should be branded "Afterthought". And to put it with wires hanging around & the sliding door partially open is just .
  3. I'm sure the scuff plates will be just for the front 2 doors. Not for the rear ones. I have the same unit except for the Tri-Arrow pattern. And I got just 2.
  4. The ambient lights are so odd looking, exposed wiring too!
  5. Nowhere am I able to find how this "holder+wireless charging" thing looks & holds the mobile steady. Another reminder of how terribly designed the center console/waterfall is. Even hatchbacks are giving proper 2 tier storage including wireless charging pad now. I'm assuming it will be something like THIS. And if it is - it will be quite a blunder. Another hanging wire + potential broken AC direction planes over long term.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th November 2020 at 18:32.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 18:22   #3425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't think even after-market stuff looks as awkward as this OEM Pack's contents. Barring the scuff plates perhaps, rest looks very weird.
=====
Another hanging wire + potential broken AC direction planes over long term.[/list]
Exactly. That's why I've decided to get these 3 things done from outside:
1. Bird view camera instead of parking sensor: I'm gonna get one that is compatible with Harman's headunit
2. HID front lights
3. Matrix tail lights (a different design and not like the 2020 Nexon's taillight)
Might install ambient lights if i come across the wire ones that run through your door panel and the dashboard.

Honestly, I so wish that the had designed the Nexxie's storage space better.

I'm hoping the get the rear redesigned to something like This.
Old 30th November 2020, 18:59   #3426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A View Post
Might install ambient lights if i come across the wire ones that run through your door panel and the dashboard.
That is called "EL" wire. "Electro-Luminescent " Wire. It emits light when high frequency AC charge flows through the conductor.

Its readily available on Amazon.in. Comes with a 12V DC to AC invertor to generate the high frequency current.
Old 1st December 2020, 23:24   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
You'll need to install a separate relay harness & will also have to add a toggle switch on the dashboard somewhere to power it ON and OFF. Unless of course you hook up the relay harness with the parking lamp. Then they will turn ON when you turn on the position lamps.
Thanks Reinhard for mentioning about this second possibility to turn on/off the aftermarket fog lamp by using the regular stalk.

While I see the immediate positives by hooking up the relay with the position lamps, I am wondering whether there are any obvious shortcomings of such setup?

Best,
Old 1st December 2020, 23:28   #3428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
While I see the immediate positives by hooking up the relay with the position lamps, I am wondering whether there are any obvious shortcomings of such setup?
No real short-comings per se. Just that - you'll NEVER be driving with fog lights Off. They'll always be ON as soon as you move to position-lamp position. Imagine you are parked for some time at the edge of the road somewhere, and want to keep the position lamps ON to let others know that you are parked there & will be leaving shortly - well - your fog lights will also be ON. Extra battery consumption & lower bulb life.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:01   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
No real short-comings per se. Just that - you'll NEVER be driving with fog lights Off. They'll always be ON as soon as you move to position-lamp position. Imagine you are parked for some time at the edge of the road somewhere, and want to keep the position lamps ON to let others know that you are parked there & will be leaving shortly - well - your fog lights will also be ON. Extra battery consumption & lower bulb life.
I've the same setup in my Nexon XMA, didn't want to make holes in the firewall grommet to put a switch for the aftermarket fog lights.

As far as parking at the side of road, I use hazard lights to be noticed.

Reinhard your detailed DIY are excellent.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:58   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
No real short-comings per se. Just that - you'll NEVER be driving with fog lights Off. They'll always be ON as soon as you move to position-lamp position.
Thanks! I got this point. Here is another follow-up question. What if one hooks up the fog lamp relay to the low-beam? Does the low-beam go off while using the high-beam (or while using the flasher) in Nexon? This would help to settle the best possible option for turning on/off fog-lamp using the regular stalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
That's indeed a very nice suggestion.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:49   #3431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Reinhard your detailed DIY are excellent.
Yes - generally thats the norm too. I just get irritated too quickly by that constant click-click/beep-beep when the hazard lamps are ON.
Glad you like the threads . Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Thanks! I got this point. Here is another follow-up question. What if one hooks up the fog lamp relay to the low-beam? Does the low-beam go off while using the high-beam (or while using the flasher) in Nexon? This would help to settle the best possible option for turning on/off fog-lamp using the regular stalk.
You can hook them up to the head-lamps also. Nexon has separate H7 bulbs for low & high beams. Not a single H4 bulb - the low/high beam switch happens with this type of bulb. So - in the Nexon - the low beam does not switch off when using the high beam. You can connect your fog light relay with these.
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:39   #3432
BHPian

My 2 cents on how Tata can sell more Nexons and beat the other tin cans

I am in the market for an upgrade and obviously have been very interested in the mini SUV segment as it is all the rage. Currently I drive a 10 year old i10 and so my requirements are simple. The new car needs to be bigger, easier and more fun to drive and MUST be safer.

My budget ranges from 10-20L. So, obviously I had almost finalised on the Seltos. However, the crash tests came just in time and thats when I had to do more research. After driving the nexon, venue, seltos, XUV300 and Harrier, I have decided to wait.

Since the Seltos (and all hyundai/KIA) was out of the way, I thought Ill decide on the Nexon. But it does not have a good automatic nor does the petrol engine excite me. With the Nexon, Tata has actually managed to cram in a similar spacial feeling as the Creta and Seltos into the Nexon. XUV300 is rejected because of the boot space.

In these forums and elsewhere on the internet I have been reading rumours about a TATA blackbird that will be between the Nexon and Harrier. I have also read about a petrol engine thats being developed for the Harrier. I really feel that all Tata needs to do is to put this petrol engine in the Nexon and they will have a winner (need a good auto box too).

A Nexon with a 1.5L petrol engine that churns out 130-150 BHP and 200-300Nm of torque with a TC/DCT gearbox would be so awesome. TATA! please listen!
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:39   #3433
BHPian

Re: My 2 cents on how Tata can sell more Nexons and beat the other tin cans

As much as 'want' this is, this could never ever see the light and for valid reasons. This can't even be a thing limited to higher trims. What you are asking is a notch above performance oriented versions of vehicles we have seen till date (for ex Tiago/tigor JTP)
No way manufacturer gives it the engine of a segment above, with a creta-seltos competitor by Tata is in talks, they wouldn't kill by sharing engine with less priced counterpart.
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:51   #3434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
I really feel that all Tata needs to do is to put this petrol engine in the Nexon and they will have a winner (need a good auto box too).
A Nexon with a 1.5L petrol engine that churns out 130-150 BHP and 200-300Nm of torque with a TC/DCT gearbox would be so awesome. TATA! please listen!
As much as enthusiasts may wish so - actual takers will be very less. Check what happened with the JTP twins when really hot hatch/notchback were delivered with fun performance. Hardly anyone actually purchased them.

A 1.5L petrol engine also raises the price a lot. Even more so since it is not developed yet. It takes away the tax benefits of a sub4m car as well. And if you get all this in a Nexon, who will buy the Blackbird if there is one in near future.

So don't wait for these to come in a Nexon. Better buy the one as it is right now - or buy a different one from the segment that gives you the fun that you are looking for. As of now - there is no car that statistically can claim to be uncompromising. Some have safety rating, some have good transmission, some have good engine, some have good space. That single package with all in one, still eludes.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:02   #3435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
As much as 'want' this is, this could never ever see the light and for valid reasons. This can't even be a thing limited to higher trims. What you are asking is a notch above performance oriented versions of vehicles we have seen till date (for ex Tiago/tigor JTP)
No way manufacturer gives it the engine of a segment above, with a creta-seltos competitor by Tata is in talks, they wouldn't kill by sharing engine with less priced counterpart.
Quote:
As much as enthusiasts may wish so - actual takers will be very less. Check what happened with the JTP twins when really hot hatch/notchback were delivered with fun performance. Hardly anyone actually purchased them.

A 1.5L petrol engine also raises the price a lot. Even more so since it is not developed yet. It takes away the tax benefits of a sub4m car as well. And if you get all this in a Nexon, who will buy the Blackbird if there is one in near future.

So don't wait for these to come in a Nexon. Better buy the one as it is right now - or buy a different one from the segment that gives you the fun that you are looking for. As of now - there is no car that statistically can claim to be uncompromising. Some have safety rating, some have good transmission, some have good engine, some have good space. That single package with all in one, still eludes.
Thanks for dashing my hopes guys! Though I do get your point.
Another hope I have is for an XUV400. XUV300 + boot, though I think the mahindra+ford car might actually be solving for this wish of mine.

I also made the mistake of driving a nexon EV and fell in love with that too. Ofcourse the 200km range means that it can only be a second car.

Anyway, I have decided to wait for the next round of refreshes (mid-2021 basically). My hopes are as follows:
  1. Seltos/Creta that gets a 5 star crash test
  2. Mahindra XUV300 with a larger boot
  3. Nexon with a new petrol engine and auto box
  4. Nexon with marginally improved engine and new autobox

In all likelihood it will be the last point and I will have to live with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks