Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 17:36   #4846
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Indeed wheel alignment & balancing is the 1st step to try. Do it from outside before your scheduled service. That way - you can test the result after the fix & if the issue persists - you can highlight it at a more severe level to the service station, since it will be something complicated with suspension / steering components if alignment doesn't solve it.[/list]
No luck with mine. Having this issue since day one (pulling to left). Recently got the wheel alignment done followed by steering recalibration. Still the issue has not been resolved. TASS has asked me to leave the car for a day to look into it further. I will update it on a different post about my ordeal.
NvrGivUp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 18:30   #4847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Indeed wheel alignment & balancing is the 1st step to try. Do it from outside before your scheduled service. That way - you can test the result after the fix & if the issue persists - you can highlight it at a more severe level to the service station, since it will be something complicated with suspension / steering components if alignment doesn't solve it.

If its just about the T logo being offset always in center position (and not of the vehicle pulling in a direction) - its more to do with the center position calibration of the wheel - which the SC can do. No, this is not the case. The car pulls to the left.

Its always hard to find. First things to check -
  1. The plastic piece around the lock into which the rear seat back latches on either side of the car. It tends to get loose and vibrate sometimes.
  2. Flip the rear seat back / seat base - and see if anything is lying between the seat and the floor. Some plastic cover of something or the buckle of center lap belt etc. (Or sometimes some small tools left behind by accessory guys if your car has been to them.)
  3. Check under the boot floor - inside the spare wheel well if something is lying about unsecured in it. A spanner or anything.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will try to get wheel alignment and balancing done this weekend and check if there is any improvement. With regard to the rattling sound, I believe it started after the installation of seat covers. So, I will check if any loose items under the back seat as you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrGivUp View Post
No luck with mine. Having this issue since day one (pulling to left). Recently got the wheel alignment done followed by steering recalibration. Still the issue has not been resolved. TASS has asked me to leave the car for a day to look into it further. I will update it on a different post about my ordeal.
What did you specifically request the service advisor regarding steering recalibration? Since my car's first annual service is due at the end of this month, I will highlight this to the advisor if wheel alignment and balancing does not improve the situation. I think the steering wheel's deviation to the right is only by some degrees (~5 degrees), but it is present.

Last edited by Mark 5 : 5th August 2022 at 18:39.
Old 5th August 2022, 19:11   #4848

Hello fellow BHPians,

This is my first time posting on TeamBHP. I have recently purchased TATA Nexon XMS RED color in MAY,2022. It has clocked around 3000 KM.

THE LIKES:
1.Handling and Driving dynamics.
2.Torquey yet fuel efficient engine.
3.ESP Package and 5 Star safety.
4.Comfortable suspension and rigid body (no undulations on the highway are felt by the riders).

THE Dislikes:
1.NVH Levels at high speeds (had double damping done, but still engine is noisy at high speeds in Sportz mode).
2.Dealership and Service centre experience.
3. AMT lag in city driving conditions.
4. Stock headlights and interior quality

My previous car ownership :
I own a Maruti DZIRE ZXI 2015 model , It has clocked about 60000 KM and I wanted to upgrade to a pseudo "SUV" (since most Indian SUV's on sale are crossovers in reality).

[b]New car requirements[b]:
Should be diesel( or an efficient petrol), AMT, 6 gears, SUV stance, High ground clearance, compact to mid size in length, budget of 15-16 lakhs.

Car hunt- Alternatives considered:

XUV 300- no black edition in AMT variants, No projector headlights in mid variants (W6 AMT), also Mahindra is reducing features very frequently.

CRETA EX & SELTOS HTK: AMT in only higher variants, lackluster build quality. Both cars were not stable in highspeed.

SKODA KUSHAQ and VW TAIGUN: 1.5 TSI DSG models were out of my budget, 1.0 TSI had Air-conditioning issues in both the VAG cousin test drive vehicles.

TATA : Harrier was out of budget and only Nexon was the viable option, Test drove a high end AMT NEXON, liked and booked it.

BOOKING EXPERIENCE:
NEXON XMS-A RED DIESEL was booked on 21-2-2022 allotted on 6-5-2022, Booking experience was smooth but the delivery was quite rough as I had to follow the Dealership executives for more than 5 days after the full payment on 17-5-2022. I had to pressure the MD of the Dealership through political interference just to get my vehicle delivered on 22-5-2022.
EXTENDED WARRANTY
Costed about RS.21000, 1.25 lakh kilometers, 5 years, Initial warranty was 75k or 2 years.
DRIVING EXPERIENCE:
Excellent driving dynamics, Superior cornering ability, stable at very high speed, highway mile muncher- comfortable suspension setup and strong chassis torsional rigidity
SAFETY EQUIPMENT:
Full ESP suite by BOSCHE , Electronic stability, Cornering stability, Traction control system (front two wheels though).Hill ascent , Hill descent.
BRAKES:
Disk wiping through ESP, break pre fill, Bite of the brakes is good, can get the car to a halt from triple digit speeds effortlessly.
ENGINE PERFORMANCE:
Meaty engine with enough grunt to pull effortlessly. Very noisy compared to the competition particularly in sportz mode at high speed
Fuel efficient-
In CITY mode gives an average of 17 KMPL at 120kmph on highway and 13-14 KMPL in city driving conditions.
In sport mode gives an average of 16 KMPL at 120 kmph on high way.
AMT:
Very laggy in city driving conditions. takes around 3 seconds to respond after crossing over a speed breaker, I've had to manually shift in order to derive the best out of the engine in city driving conditions. Its a whole different machine on highway in sportz mode though, responds sharply at higher speeds and ensures smooth overtaking.
Build quality & looks:
Looks: Subjective I find the front side better looking but the rear is polarizing,
Solid Exterior- all doors felt hefty, mediocre Interior, sub standard plastic quality (felt like Renault Kwid from a few years ago)
AIR CONDITIONING:
Chills up faster even if the outside temp. soar above 40 degrees centigrade.
MID:
Felt like a toy car, TATA should've used Harrier or Altroz MID .
Steering:
EPS works flawlessly, Soft in city and Hard on Highway driving conditions.
NIGGLES:
1.Wheel Alignment issue from Factory( car was dragging to left side by a point), sorted out during tyre upgrade from outside( not from TASS)
2. Paint chips here and there across the car ( quality control from TATA is worst)
3. clunk sound from front left side ( fixed during first service from TASS, a loose clamp below diesel hand pump had been the culprit).

Service center experience:
Poorly trained executives and technicians. They gave the car without sorting the above clunky sound. Had to force them again and get it fixed.

Upgrades done:
Tyres: 195 60 R16 TO 215 60 R16
Wheels: NEO ROYAL SERIES ALLOY WHEELS
Tweeters: 4*JBL
Reverse Parking camera:
JK TYRE TPMS,
White Line painted to black to make it look more sporty on sides and back of the car.
Lights: head light :Low beam : HID , High beam LED , FOG LAMP: 3 IN 1 BI-LED PROJECTORS.
MAUNALLY adjustable IRVM.
Horn upgrade.
Leather seat covers, Leather steering wheel cover. Bumpers all around the car
Doors: double damping.

CAR LOOK :

PRE-UPGRADES

&

POST-ACCESSORIES

:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220805_165207.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220805_174157.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220805_174041.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220805_165313.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220805_164913.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220805_173726.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220625_140209.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20220626_113929.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2022 at 05:07. Reason: Mention of high-speed driving
Valhalla is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 14:37   #4849
BANNED

Hello BHPians, I needed more insights on the Nexon with the AMT Variant. I currently own a 2007 SX4. This car will be for my parents. I am expecting the SX4 to sell at 2 lakhs, My budget is a strictly 11-13 lakh

1. Is the car easy to drive? How are the blind Spots? Are there many of them?
2. I am an enthusiast and will drive the car, so I wanted to know about how fun to drive is the AMT? Is it fun to drive with the manual mode selected?
3. Will the car be reliable? My parents will also be driving it, Planning to keep it for 15 years.
4. Thinking about the XZ+ HS variant which costs 15 lakh OTR with all the accessories extended warranty and AMC package, with the exchange I will get it in 13 lakhs OTR.

I checked out Kiger too, it fits the bill but doesn't feel like an upgrade from my SX4. This one costs 13 lakh, after exchange will come down to 11 lakh.

Please give me your thoughts.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 16:27   #4850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
It is easy to drive, yes. It however has thicker A pillar so during turns you will likely notice.

Quote:
2. I am an enthusiast and will drive the car, so I wanted to know about how fun to drive is the AMT? Is it fun to drive with the manual mode selected?
AMT is not that fun to drive as manual. Enthusiasts should look at manual.

Quote:
3. Will the car be reliable? My parents will also be driving it, Planning to keep it for 15 years.
Nexon is a mature tried and tested car. Obviously not as refined as Maruti or Hyundai but then it has its own advantages. It has better suspensions and driving manners than competitors except XUV300.

Quote:
4. Thinking about the XZ+ HS variant which costs 15 lakh OTR with all the accessories extended warranty and AMC package, with the exchange I will get it in 13 lakhs OTR.
Check out XUV300 as well if you want a driver friendly car, its fun to drive. Probably the most enthusiastic friendly car in its segment. It however lacks boot space and that's the only con I practically see.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th August 2022 at 18:37. Reason: Trimming quoted post
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 17:05   #4851
BANNED

As far as manuals go, the XUV300 and the Tata Nexon are the best you have in the segment, but if you are looking for automatic, the Kia Sonet, Hyundai Venue and the Maruti Suzuki Brezza offer the best automatics in the segment, be it DCT or Torque Converter. The Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger although built to a cost have well-tuned CVTs as well.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 21:45   #4852
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians, I needed more insights on the Nexon with the AMT Variant. I currently own a 2007 SX4. This car will be for my parents. I am expecting the SX4 to sell at 2 lakhs, My budget is a strictly 11-13 lakh .
I am comming from the same boat where i still own a 2010 SX4 zxi and recently tool delivery of Nexon XZA+ HS petrol, so far driven 1600 KMs.

Car is easy to live with has adequate leg space. Ground clearance will pose a challenge for aged people but foot board helps here.
A pillars are thick and won't let you miss your old ride i.e. SX4 as it has the same blind spot problem.

Everything is great except gearbox which is not the best in the business and you will often feel like being driven by a novice chauffer who is not good with clutch. Gear shift are smoth but will be felt always especially lower gears. Occasional lags of less then a second can be felt with spirited driving.

If you want to enjoy every bit of your new car pls don't go for an AMT but otherwise Nexon is a really good car to even with AMT and one can easily learn to live with.
FlankerH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 22:29   #4853
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerH View Post
If you want to enjoy every bit of your new car pls don't go for an AMT but otherwise Nexon is a really good car to even with AMT and one can easily learn to live with.
Great points you got here, you summarised my only gripe with the Nexon in a few words
Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 00:13   #4854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerH View Post
I am coming from the same boat where i still own a 2010 SX4 zxi and recently took delivery of Nexon XZA+ HS petrol, so far driven 1600 KMs.
Thank you for the inputs sir. Can you please answer some of my other questions too?
1. How is the Manual mode of the AMT? IS it more responsive?
2.I want a car for my parents, it should be easy to drive for them, are there too many blind spots apart from the A-Pillar?
3. Kiger's interior didn't appeal me but the Nexon did, do you feel like an upgrade from the SX4?
4. How is the NVH compared to the SX4? Any vibrations?
5.Is it fun to drive like the SX4?
6. How is the City drive? Is any effort needed to maneuver it like the SX4?

Last edited by Piyush Kanthak : 7th August 2022 at 00:14. Reason: maneuver point added
Old 7th August 2022, 00:40   #4855
BHPian

Hey! One of the things I have noticed in my Nexon XZ Plus Petrol is that if I have the Car in ECO mode then I can feel the engine Vibration way more than I can feel in City or Sports. In fact, in Sports mode the engine vibrations are lowest at idle while in Eco its pretty prominent.
At idle, I can feel good amount of vibration in steering wheel, and when I switch to Sports then there is very little difference between engine off/on.

All this is with AC turned on. Is this due to lower idling at different modes ? Any insight ?
Old 7th August 2022, 21:04   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Tyres: 195 60 R16 TO 215 60 R16
Wheels: NEO ROYAL SERIES ALLOY WHEELS
Sweet ride there you have sir! Few queries on the tyre upgrade
195/60 R16--> 215/60 R16 equates to 12 mm gain in side wall height and 3.75% increase in circumference. Generally <2% change is considered okay. Any particular reason you chose to go higher?
How does it affect the ride? Do you feel discernible difference in cushioning broken roads at lower speeds (15-20 kmph ish)over the stock tyres?
Any difference at ~100 kmph speeds in side to side or vertical movements from the stock setup?
Do the tyres foul with the wheel well at full tilt of the steering?
Thanks.

Last edited by Vtach : 7th August 2022 at 21:06.
Vtach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 00:46   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
3. Will the car be reliable? My parents will also be driving it, Planning to keep it for 15 years
I have Nexon XZA+DT Diesel 2018 model and can share few things.

Cross the speed of 20kmph and it is very nice car. Anything below 15 is pain. This is especially headache in ECO mode where the gearbox is slow like a tortoise making you miss important keeping pace. It engages clutch especially when you don't intend. But still I drive in eco mode in city because it is silent like a petrol and can have crazy fuel efficiency if driving lazy. It does not have jerks either when A pedal is touched softly.

You can still get decent fuel economy in manual mode plus control. Manual gear mode is Sports engine mode only.

I am an enthusiast and had always liked manual for their micro precion control but my left knee gave up, so turned up to this powerful AMT. Except in traffic jams on hills this IS the car on highways. Vehicle load does not matter. I have driven it at 10% higher speed than company specifield top speed on Hyderabad ORR when fully loaded (or overloaded). No passenger knew the speed. They felt it like 120 and were chilling.

Not sure about others but I had test driven 6 speed TC on Aspire 1.5 petrol and it was not as good. Rather slow compared to what I read on every forum.

Your parents won't like it though due to behaviour in lower speeds. City and Sports mode are ok in first gear with minor jerks but then it tends to heat up clutch plate on traffic jammed inclines due to so much of torque.

Quote:
2.I want a car for my parents, it should be easy to drive for them, are there too many blind spots apart from the A-Pillar?
It has thick A pillar or rather it is close to the driver so creates a blind spot. Entire bike is missed if you are short driver. Taller drivers push the seat backwards and then it sort of reduces, but still prominent.

You can keep the car in city mode throughout the lifetime. It can reach speeds upto 120 effortlessly. Post that speed you need sports mode due to high wind resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Hey! One of the things I have noticed in my Nexon XZ Plus Petrol is that if I have the Car in ECO mode then I can feel the engine Vibration way more than I can feel in City or Sports. In fact, in Sports mode the engine vibrations are lowest at idle while in Eco its pretty prominent.
At idle, I can feel good amount of vibration in steering wheel, and when I switch to Sports then there is very little difference between engine off/on.

All this is with AC turned on. Is this due to lower idling at different modes ? Any insight ?
This is due to 3 cylinder petrol. It is properly tuned for Sports mode. It is exactly opposite in 4 cylinder diesel which is silent like 4 pot petrol (from inside) in Eco while crud and loud in Sports mode.

My car has idling RPM same in all modes. Not sure in Revotron petrol.

This is enthusiast's car on highways.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2022 at 05:02. Reason: Missed a word; mention of over-speeding
Old 8th August 2022, 13:05   #4858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 View Post
What did you specifically request the service advisor regarding steering recalibration? Since my car's first annual service is due at the end of this month, I will highlight this to the advisor if wheel alignment and balancing does not improve the situation. I think the steering wheel's deviation to the right is only by some degrees (~5 degrees), but it is present.
I took it to couple of TASS and they just did the wheel alignment and claimed that it was fixed which was not the case. They just blame it on the road being the issue and there is no pulling. I took it to the third TASS and specifically told that I need the steering recalibration to be done as I've done wheel alignment multiple times and the problem was not getting resolved. They again started with the wheel alignment and then did the steering recalibration on my insistence. Still the issue has not resolved.
Old 8th August 2022, 14:37   #4859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post

Same here I have felt this too, in ECO mode the SOHC 3 pot motors shows its true colors vibrations on steering and dash which actually bother at lower revs. At sport mode you can barely feel them.
Old 8th August 2022, 17:55   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the inputs sir. Can you please answer some of my other questions too?
As Capricon also pointed, manual mode is parallel to sport mode, and can be used as n when. Till now used only twice when driving through a flooded underpass with 3/4th of the tyres submerged.

Quote:
I would seriously suggest you to go for a lengthy test drive with parents and then decide. TBH none can match the sheer practicality offered by SX4 and new Baleno/Glanza.
SX4 has excellent frontal visibility due to slanting bonnet, which you will notice in Nexon the moment you will enter. A pillars are thick but in my opinion not a deal breaker in fact they give the car the structural strength for which it is known for.
The major issue for them could be high ground clearance though.

Quote:
3. Kiger's interior didn't appeal me but the Nexon did, do you feel like an upgrade from the SX4?
Nexon is not an upgrade IMO as it belongs to the same price bracket. But interiors are modern looking and somewhat plush with that excellent sound from Harman its way too good.
Biggest issue - SX4 has so much space in front of gear stick (cupholders and space below music system for keeping your wallet, phone etc) which is sourly missed. You have to have a dash mounted phone holder.

Quote:
4. How is the NVH compared to the SX4? Any vibrations?
Cabin is well insulated for outside noise but engine keeps you informed that its alive nothing more. Vibrations can be properly felt in eco mode only, sport mode will simply do away with all the dance and drama.

Quote:
5.Is it fun to drive like the SX4?
No, with AMT its not. Period!

Quote:
6. How is the City drive? Is any effort needed to maneuver it like the SX4?
Life is lot easy in traffic for my wife now and inturn for me as well, she used to drive SX4 and always complained about heavy steering. She is genuinely happy with her new ride to summaries (she is a nit picker and can actually find flaws in bloody everything).

On side notes you can checkout new baleno/glanza also as its now a better package with that 60kg added weight and 6 airbags (doors actually feel heavier then last gen). Will not recommend for triple digit highway cruising though.

Most Viewed