Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 15:16   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

It looks like many cars are getting tuned. I guess owners don't have any hope on Skoda warranty and doing all the mods immediately

I am just posting the screenshot from FB and the links.

Octavia RS at Pete's
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_20171107_150326.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...06400662749873

Octavia RS APR Stage 2 (Bangalore)
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_20171107_150557.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...51531075073723

Octavia RS APR Stage 2 (Mumbai)
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_20171107_150845.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...d=231401899650

2 cars are getting dynoed and APR Stage 2 upgrade at Race Concepts today
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_20171107_151212.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_20171107_151248.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...24737540935996

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th November 2017 at 15:20.
Dr.Naren is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 19:17   #77
BHPian

The top speeds of these cars are definitely worrisome from a safety point of view. Think of the situation when a Alto going at 80 km/hour gets rear ended or banged by an Octavia RS at 240 km/hour! We definitely need some top speed controls on some of the top end cars. The prospects of a high speed banging are definitely getting real!
Old 7th November 2017, 22:23   #78
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The top speeds of these cars are definitely worrisome from a safety point of view. Think of the situation when a Alto going at 80 km/hour gets rear ended or banged by an Octavia RS at 240 km/hour! We definitely need some top speed controls on some of the top end cars. The prospects of a high speed banging are definitely getting real!
Let's fit 80 kmph speed limiter in octy rs then
anb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 05:11   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We definitely need some top speed controls on some of the top end cars.
You can't be serious! How does reducing the top speed of a car make our roads safer? More than this, driver education, better design of our roads (We are getting there slowly) and clamping down on our hopeless driving license system is the need of the hour.

I bet that the owner of a beautiful car like this is not going to be driving at the limit all the time. A good driver knows the safe limits or zones to enjoy a car like this.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 08:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
The Alto going at 80 km/hour should be taught to remain in the middle/left lane while the RS should be taught to overtake from the right most lane provided the trucks are also made to stay out of the right most lane.
Restricting top speed of vehicles like RS would be blasphemy!!
mrinmoy_s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:05   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic award of the year goes to you

Almost every car on sale in india, including an Alto can do speedlimit breaking speeds. There is probably a higher chance of an Alto rear ending a vRS when it’s cruising as the Alto does not have the brakes, handling and safety measures to handle It’s own top speed.

Last edited by Sahil : 8th November 2017 at 09:07.
Sahil is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
... an Alto rear ending a vRS when it’s cruising as the Alto does not have the brakes, handling and safety measures to handle It’s own top speed.
The visual is quite hilarious and couldn't help smiling on reading the line

I do agree that people have started equating power to top speed to dangerous driving. However, the reality is high speed crashes are often seen on our roads when folks lose control with no one around (which is why they were literally flying). Or when someone chooses to be the smarter one and drive the wrong way/park without hazard signals.

I had my father ask me of the bhp for RS and his immediate comment was - safe driving. In my view, I am safer with this power on tap and a sane mind to boot than pushing my ex-car (Aveo) on highways (or cities).
Hells Bells is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 10:13   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Let's fit 80 kmph speed limiter in octy rs then
Please dont say such things... given how some people in power think, they might take you seriously!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

When you do a lot of long distance driving in India, you find that the most hazardous drivers are the Alto and the Eon drivers. Probably because this is their first car and they feel the need to show the power on hand. I am extra cautious while passing or even near an Alto or Eon. And as mentioned earlier the threat is probably in reverse though it is hilarious to visualise such a scenario.

Having said that, careless drivers exist with every car including one who crashed a VRS soon after taking delivery.

Last edited by AMG Power : 8th November 2017 at 12:09.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Having said that, careless drivers exist with every car including one who crashed a VRS soon after taking delivery.
I understand the crash you spoke of was due to a 2 wheeler who was riding the wrong way and crashed into the RS. This was mentioned on a separate thread by a friend of the car owner. My 2 cents to ensure we don't jump to conclusions on what exactly happened.
Old 8th November 2017, 15:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I understand the crash you spoke of was due to a 2 wheeler who was riding the wrong way and crashed into the RS.
That is completely wrong information. It was carelessness. But let's not get off topic anymore.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 18:07   #87
BHPian

Managed to get my hands on an Octavia RS for about 2 days - and drove about 400 kms in it. And the car is beyond insanely fun to drive. It's as manic as a Mini Cooper S JCW (without the permanently spitting exhaust though) but more stable in both the straights and the corners.

It's practical enough for a family of 5 to do trips with relative comfort (I come from a Vento TSI), and simultaneously managed to lull my mother into sense of security when driven in D mode at lower revs.

It's almost as silent as the regular Octavia on this mode, and less wobbly when it picks up speed or goes around corners. The average road undulations do not upset the car, although it does crash into an occasional crater (I live in Mumbai) every once in a while. It's subtle enough to go unnoticed in the Grey shade (that's the colour I had), and still makes everything else stand still when driving with all the 230 horses in tow.

The only surprising experience in the 2 days I spent with it was a moment of disbelief when I managed to clock an under 6 second 0-100 time using launch control after only 4 attempts. Skoda has an application called the Skoda One; which connects via USB and shows up in the Apple CarPlay home screen on the Cars multimedia screen. This app shows you fuel economy, carbon emissions and how to save cost etc - but more importantly has a section with a G force meter and maximum and minimum lateral Gs, and also a 0-100 timer that automatically detects when the car starts moving from a standstill and crosses hundred.

To clarify, this meter is accurate to a 1000th of a second, and I ran the car on regular 91 Octane petrol with regular Hancook tyres, and not the Michelins some media cars had. But if Skoda claims a 0-100 timing of 6.8s, doesn't an under 6 timing (5.992s to be precise) seem weird?

Attaching pictures below for reference. Also - this is not a prank, as these images were personally clicked by me on my phone and I was in the car when this acceleration attempt took place.

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-octavia-vrs-0100-1.jpg

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-octavia-vrs-0100-2.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 8th November 2017 at 21:04. Reason: Images could not be attached earlier.; Please format the text within forum editor
ahmadnaik is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 19:45   #88
BHPian

Amongst the mundane things of life, this thread makes me feel really glad that I was able to buy this car. It is super fun to read all the good things other are saying about it and relate it to what I am experiencing on a daily basis
Hells Bells is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 22:36   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
To clarify, this meter is accurate to a 1000th of a second, and I ran the car on regular 91 Octane petrol with regular Hancook tyres, and not the Michelins some media cars had. But if Skoda claims a 0-100 timing of 6.8s, doesn't an under 6 timing (5.992s to be precise) seem weird?
How does this meter measure 0-100 timing : Speedo or GPS? Autocar and Overdrive have done V Box runs and it's 6.6 to 6.7 seconds.
Old 10th November 2017, 00:26   #90
OSH
BHPian

Another Skoda Octavia VRS goes through modifications, this time it's with Autopsyche.

Quote:
Autopsyche Performance Works
Skoda Octavia VRS 230bhp

Upgrades:
Stage1 325bhp / Stage2 350bhp
Stage3 400bhp / Stage4 450bhp
- Revo Technik ECU Remap Stg1/2/3/4
- Revo Technik DSG Remap Stg1/2/3
- Milltek De-Cat Large Bore Downpipe
- Milltek Non/Resonated Catback
- Forge Carbonfiber Cold Air Intake
- Forge Turbo Muffler Delete Pipe
- Wagner Competition Intercooler
- Eibach Pro-Street-S Coilovers
- Eibach Front & Rear Anti Roll Bars
- Lenso Project D Race1 17x7.5 ET40
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-fb_img_1510253006797.jpg

Source : Autopsyche's Facebook page

Last edited by OSH : 10th November 2017 at 00:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks