Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 11:44   #91
a2k
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

For all those who VRS owners who are mulling whether they should go for an upgrade for their tires to Michelin PS4 please take my advise and go ahead with 100% confidence. Contrary to what I was told in the other VRS thread I decided to go ahead and upgrade the tires and my god it make a world of difference in the ride in slow speeds and handling in high speeds. There is no comparison to the Hankooks and no wonder Skoda is sending the test cars with the Michelins.
a2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 11:53   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

A photoshoot early this morning 3 other vRS owners. It's unfortunate none of the Red vRS owners could meet us. Being a weekday, they were busy.

It's a coincidence that we parked in front of Feynlab. We drove all around HSR looking for a good place for a photoshoot but finally this was the best place with a wide road, good parking and good lighting.

From left to right.

Steel Grey Stock - Race Blue Stock - White APR Stage 2+ and Steel Grey APR Stage 1

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-1.jpg

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-2.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 12:46   #93
BHPian

Finally the beast came home.

Its been two days and i have spent a lot of time with the car, much to my family's dismay.

I got the car on friday evening with around 80km on the odo. The delivery was very pleasant and smooth. I have opted for the 4 yr maintenance package and essential kit @ Rs. 12,999/-. Unfortunately, the essential kit dosen't have the all weather rubber floor mats. The regular octavias get the mats with the other stuff for the same price.

Initial impressions:

The drive was a pleasant surprise as i was expecting a relatively harsh ride. The SA informed me that they had set the tyre pressures @ 30 psi all round and asked me to maintain it. This was in contrast to the discussions in the earlier threads and posts. I attributed the good ride to the low pressures. The seats are super comfortable and it was very easy to find a good position. The start stop system is definitely flawed. The engine switches off the moment the car stops and it is really a major irritant. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that most systems need at least 10 seconds after stopping to be active! After the customary pooja it was over for the day.

The next day being a Saturday, decided to take the afternoon off and went for a 150km drive to familiarise with the car. I was in for a surprise when i checked the tyre pressures before the drive, they were only 28 psi all round. No wonder the ride was so compliant.

I increased the pressures to 34/35 front/back and the difference was obvious. The ride has become noticeably stiffer and i can feel every ridge and rut on the rode. It feels like my e90 320d. As the 320d was my daily drive for 5 yrs I was ok with the ride. Though not a deal breaker, potential customers might need to have a go if this is going to be their daily drive.

My ride was a mixture of b2b traffic, single roads and four track highways. The car accelerates like mad and the noise from the exhaust during upshifts is amazing. The car hugs the road and as the speed increases the suspension seems to work better. As i am still running in the engine, it was cruising 99% of the time. Overall, the FE was around 13 kmpl which I think is good considering what this car is capable.

The OE textile mats has already started looking dirty, so headed straight to 3M and got the nomad mats installed. They are so much better than the stock ones. While there, I got the chrome surround around the grille wrapped in gloss black. Am looking for the OE black surround for the grille and need to swap the chrome ones.

Regarding the tyres, no issues regarding the noise or on the highways other than the fact that they are a bit hard. The buyback for the Hankooks are abysmal and the PS4 @ around 12k a piece seems to be a major dent on the wallet. Still undecided on the tyres. The best I have got for the Hankooks are 4k.

A couple of pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
For all those who VRS owners who are mulling whether they should go for an upgrade for their tires to Michelin PS4 please take my advise and go ahead with 100% confidence. Contrary to what I was told in the other VRS thread I decided to go ahead and upgrade the tires and my god it make a world of difference in the ride in slow speeds and handling in high speeds. There is no comparison to the Hankooks and no wonder Skoda is sending the test cars with the Michelins.
Can you share the buyback price for the Hankooks? And what pressures are you running with the PS4? How would you rate the ride comfort and tyre noise on the highways between the two tyres?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_5308.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_5304.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_5307.jpg  

Last edited by navin : 13th November 2017 at 17:23.
differential is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 14:37   #94
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
Can you share the buyback price for the Hankooks? And what pressures are you running with the PS4? How would you rate the ride comfort and tyre noise on the highways between the two tyres?
I had only 500 kms on the car when I went for the swap. The buyback was 6500 per Hankook tyre and I had to pay 20000 Rs in total for four tyres after the trade-in of the Hankooks. They have set the tire pressure at 35 psi.

When I had the Hankooks I was running it at 33psi max as 35 was too uncomfortable. When the car went on a uneven road (when I say uneven keep in mind not a potholed or patchy road but a road where the final finishing layer was not executed properly every little undulation on the road was felt in the cabin. Now much of it is gone though not completely as the suspension itself is tuned stiff. Also the feedback from the steering feels better though not as good as my 320D. The only downside I felt is a slight increase in tyre noise over the Hankooks but that is a given trait of the PS4's.
a2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 10:52   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Octavia RS : Modifications at Autopsyche, Delhi

1. Stage 2 Revo UK remap
2. Forge motorsports intake
3. Wagner tuning intercooler
4. Forge Turbo muffler delete
5. Full exhaust (Miltek UK)
6. Eibach suspension & Anti roll bars
7. Lenso 17 inch wheels
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 21:13   #96
BHPian

I really feel Skoda should make a no frills version of the vRS a stripped down version, something like the Evo RS no sunroof no DSG No alloys Wheels (most people will upgrade these anyway) no body kit (if really necessary) fabric seats etc and replace the 1.8 TSI top of the line with it at the same price. Just keep the 2.0 TSI in the same tune and the trick-differential with a manual gearbox that'll properly give the feel of the old school vRS that we all love and adore so much. This is of course just my point of view I haven't driven the new vRS yet

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2017 at 21:42. Reason: Formatted
Ferrariwell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 14:02   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
I really feel Skoda should make a no frills version of the vRS a stripped down version
That would be great, but I think it won't sell that well. The USP of the vRS is in the fact that in addition to being a track day car, it can also be used as a daily drive / family car!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 14:22   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
I really feel Skoda should make a no frills version of the vRS a stripped down version, something like the Evo RS no sunroof no DSG No alloys Wheels (most people will upgrade these anyway) no body kit (if really necessary) fabric seats etc and replace the 1.8 TSI top of the line with it at the same price. Just keep the 2.0 TSI in the same tune and the trick-differential with a manual gearbox that'll properly give the feel of the old school vRS that we all love and adore so much. This is of course just my point of view I haven't driven the new vRS yet
The had the 1.8 TSi in the Laura and Octavia base trims as well. They did fairly well, but very few of them are modded. But the vRS still commands a premium to all of these - in fact, the base trims ended up being heavily discounted - more than the vRS IIRC.

Most of the enthusiast buyers of the 1.8TSi won't mind paying a few lakh premium for the vRS for what if offers (unless they're on a very tight budget), but the 1.8 TSi buyer who is buying a luxury petrol sedan will not want to compromise on the feature list - leather, alloys, Xenons, etc.

But I know people wouldn't mind a base 2.0TSi trim in addition to the vRS - but highly doubtful Skoda will make those given the popularity of the vRS as is.
Old 15th November 2017, 16:43   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
But I know people wouldn't mind a base 2.0TSi trim in addition to the vRS - but highly doubtful Skoda will make those given the popularity of the vRS as is.
The market has changed dramatically in the last 3-4 years and the recent diesel challenges have helped change the mindset even more when it comes to petrol sedans.

Skoda knows it will happily sell twice the current volumes of vRS so why shave off profit in lieu of volumes.
Old 16th November 2017, 23:48   #100
Senior - BHPian

Shot all 3 Generations.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_9344.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_9316.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_9153.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_9220.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_9179.jpg  

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-img_9071.jpg  

Unknownsatan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Shot by Abu Abraham for StayTunedIndia.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-23674692_1415001705292985_44956110485533764_o.jpg  

Unknownsatan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 14:38   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

That's my car!

Stunning work by this young photographer.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:22   #103
BHPian

Seems first reported accident involving the latest vRS (identified from the rear spoiler, please correct me if I am wrong).

https://www.ndtv.com/thiruvananthapu...-lateststories

The news report claims it a case of over-speeding and rash driving, although, it could be as well a genuine bad luck where he had no other option - we'll never know. Prayers for the people who lost their life and others who are battling for theirs.

The reason I posted this here is that this news item reminded me of the discussion I was reading in the vRS thread a few days back, particularly surrounding on limiting its power and the likely risks such powerful machines pose in cases where divers tend to get over-excited and mess with speeds that they are not trained well enough to handle (though this is not limited to skodas, bemers, mercs or audis - even pulsar, scorpio and other smaller bike and car riders/drivers are notorious of rash and irresponsible driving by pushing their vehicles beyond acceptable limits in far from ideal circumstances).

While I do not find any fault with the car for such mishaps, such incidents do bring to light the fact that there are quite a many in our country whose only credential to drive and test limits of such powerful machines is their (or their family's) bank balance, with an unforgiving urge to show off or compete. I am a firm believer that true motor enthusiasts respect their machines, and are particularly careful not to engage fools trying to show-off and appreciate the fact that our road are not race tracks to compete or test limits of these machines.

Unfortunately, the majority (the family of the victims, more so) are likely to blame the car for this tragedy, as is the case with any other accident involving a high end car or a bike. Hopefully, such incidents don't hamper the availability of these special and loved machines in our country. But such is the state of affairs of our country that more often then not, such machines are likely to end up with unappreciative morons, and there is no thought or attempt by authorities or companies to even recognise this problem, let alone address it.

My two bit from this, just like the suggestion to seek a proof of parking before sale of a car, a driving test should be a condition to sale of powerful bikes and cars - though this is far from full-proof or a logical solution, but the idea is to generate a discussion so that genuine efforts are made towards creating a more responsible driving environment, especially among the youth, and not just plain profiteering by the government and the companies.

Not sure, if this is the right place to post this message, mods please update or relocate it to appropriate forum.
On the Move is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:29   #104
Senior - BHPian

I’m not sure if I should be reporting it here. But I felt like sharing this to ensure safety of our fellow bhpians.

With this, we should always remember any car we drive “with great power, comes great responsibility

Rushlane reported a high speed car crash wherein our beloved vRS was involved.

Wishing safe drive to all the drivers!

Last edited by gururajrv : 17th November 2017 at 19:32.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 21:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post
My two bit from this, just like the suggestion to seek a proof of parking before sale of a car, a driving test should be a condition to sale of powerful bikes and cars - though this is far from full-proof or a logical solution, but the idea is to generate a discussion so that genuine efforts are made towards creating a more responsible driving environment, especially among the youth, and not just plain profiteering by the government and the companies.

Not sure, if this is the right place to post this message, mods please update or relocate it to appropriate forum.
What is the point you are trying to make?
1. A person buying a high end car will most probably have a parking spot (if that's what you meant by proof of parking)
2. I don't think this accident or most accidents happen because they can't handle the car. Few unfortunate instances and few stupid behavior make accidents happen. How do you find that in a test? You definitely can't do a test of a person doing 150 or 200+ speed and check if he can handle it well.

Singapore has this different levels of license I believe. But someone who is overspeeding or a drunken drive case isn't gonna get detected or get corrected by that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks