Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 21:55   #106
OSH
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
A person buying a high end car will most probably have a parking spot (if that's what you meant by proof of parking)
He is talking about something that was discussed last year for Delhi, where the government wanted to decongest roads by regulating the sales of new cars to only those who have parking spots available. It is not his own suggestion, he just mentioned it here. Read the TOI article here.

Quote:
You definitely can't do a test of a person doing 150 or 200+ speed and check if he can handle it well.
You cannot test every person while doing 150 or 200+ speeds agreed, but nobody is allowed to do those speeds on the street in the first place.

With more and more development in cars technology, they are all becoming more powerfull and there will have to be more strict driving tests in order to impart the correct knowledge so that the drivers driving such powerfull cars aren't complete idiots. Like you said, stupidity leads to accidents and THAT has to change, one way is, better testing standards like the OP said.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 00:52   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
He is talking about something that was discussed last year for Delhi, where the government wanted to decongest roads by regulating the sales of new cars to only those who have parking spots available. It is not his own suggestion, he just mentioned it here. Read the TOI article here.

You cannot test every person while doing 150 or 200+ speeds agreed, but nobody is allowed to do those speeds on the street in the first place..
I misread the first point. Apologies.
Second one, exactly my point. How much ever restrictions are made, unless they be strict about it nothing's gonna change. Rules have to be strict, else things will happen. You won't dare to do such stuff abroad, but here we do it everywhere because we know we can get away with bribe or a small fine to the max.
Old 18th November 2017, 05:59   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
...reported a high speed car crash wherein our beloved vRS was involved.
OT: Just a small correction there. vRS was not involved in the crash. Someone crashed the vRS and paid with his life. I do agree that power and responsibility need to go hand-in-hand, which is always not the case unfortunately. Awareness of one's ability to manage power is also very important.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 22:27   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

RIP but idiotic to let a 20 year old drive a brand new (dynamics unknown) 227 bhp vehicle fully loaded and that too, at night.

Call me old fashioned but I learnt my driving from various family chauffeurs at 14 on a 55 bhp Ambassador Mk III & IV, 'graduated' to a 37 bhp M800, and then to a breathtaking 75 bhp Ambassador 1.8 ISZ.

Too much money and too little sense to expect restraint from a 20 year old plus with the other sex in the car.

RIP. Classic textbook case on how NOT to blame the vRS!

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th November 2017 at 22:31.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 23:18   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
RIP but idiotic to let a 20 year old drive a brand new (dynamics unknown) 227 bhp vehicle fully loaded and that too, at night.

Call me old fashioned but I learnt my driving from various family chauffeurs at 14 on a 55 bhp Ambassador Mk III & IV, 'graduated' to a 37 bhp M800, and then to a breathtaking 75 bhp Ambassador 1.8 ISZ.

Too much money and too little sense to expect restraint from a 20 year old plus with the other sex in the car.

RIP. Classic textbook case on how NOT to blame the vRS!

I don't necessarily think this is true it could be the auto drivers fault too some reports say the auto driver was on the wrong side of the road where as some say it was trying to take a u turn what the actual story is no one knows. Our media will be quick to blame the skoda driver as it's a & big car' basically they'll do anything to sell their paper I have witnessed this first hand. Also our roads are quite un predictable the place where I live the speed limit is 80 yet there are so many cases of accidents happening so regularly due to people driving on the wrong side of the road on a national highway! Yet more often than not the & bigger/ more expensive' car is always blamed. Also I'd like to add that not every 18-21 year old is an in-experienced driver and can't handle power sometimes luck just isn't in your favour

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th November 2017 at 23:29. Reason: formatting fix
Ferrariwell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 13:41   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
I don't necessarily think this is true it could be the auto drivers fault too some reports say the auto driver was on the wrong side of the road where as some say it was trying to take a u turn what the actual story is no one knows......
Irrespective of who 'caused' the accident, it's impossible to kill oneself and cause that much damage to what's a well-built car, if driven at sane city speeds.

The young man was carrying enough speed to uproot a concrete pole and shave off a tree trunk. He's got nobody else to blame for losing his life.

P.S. No point speculating unknown details, and the whole 'big car' conundrum works both ways. People often find ways to blame big cars irrespective of fault, and big car chaps often pull strings to blame someone else. No saints in that argument.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th November 2017 at 13:42.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:21   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
For all those who VRS owners who are mulling whether they should go for an upgrade for their tires to Michelin PS4 please take my advise and go ahead with 100% confidence. Contrary to what I was told in the other VRS thread I decided to go ahead and upgrade the tires and my god it make a world of difference in the ride in slow speeds and handling in high speeds. There is no comparison to the Hankooks and no wonder Skoda is sending the test cars with the Michelins.
I have swapped the Hankooks for PS4 after 800km. My idea was to stick with the Hankooks for atleast 10K km, but the tyres seem to squeal on relatively heavy braking. I had an emergency braking situation from 80kmph and the tyre squeal is more like my XUV bridgestone; though not that bad. I have driven only 20km on the new tyres and i guess its too early to tell the difference. But the ride has become noticeably more comfortable. The hard edge is still there, but now I am at 35 PSI as opposed to the 34 PSI on the Hankooks.

BTW have got my can of plastidip for the rear badges and emblem. Will need to try my hand at colouring!

Last edited by differential : 22nd November 2017 at 22:22.
differential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:32   #113
BHPian

Apparently lot of vRS cars have the sunroof noise issue. I had taken my car for the same to Autobahn Sewri were they had already fixed couple of the cars before mine. I was told by the technician that there is some issue with the gluing of the sunroof railing panel with the body which makes this sound. They have completely opened and re-glued the same which has solved the issue on my car so far atleast. My Skoda A.S.S. experience so far has been positive. The car gets a lot of attention from all the staff which could be the reason for the quick and friendly service

The technician was also saying that the next lot of cars won't have this issue as they have been giving feedback to Skoda. Not entirely sure if Skoda India would be soo efficient.
esma1981 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:30   #114
BHPian

Mods please combine with my previous post.

Meanwhile took a few shots of the vRS last sunday on a sunrise drive to Vandri Lake.

Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3392_37952264744_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3383_37952266774_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3399_38613920106_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3395_37952263004_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3443_38670187491_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3409_38637996872_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3425_24797478608_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3372_37952272684_o.jpg
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-esa_3464_38613900636_o.jpg
esma1981 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:39   #115
a2k
BHPian

The wraps around the side view mirror and the grill look fantastic. Are they 3M? Are the side view mirror wraps or the skoda accessory?
a2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 11:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
The wraps around the side view mirror and the grill look fantastic. Are they 3M? Are the side view mirror wraps or the skoda accessory?
Thanks a2k . The side view mirror is a Skoda accessory and the grill is a matt 3M wrap. I've also wrapped the white part of the roof with glossy black 3M wrap.
Old 11th December 2017, 13:10   #117
BHPian

Excellent review. Rated 5 star.

Folks - Based on the various posts/info on the reliablity of VAG cars & lack of Skoda's after sales support, I have a few questions on the maintenance and availability of Spare's for RS.

As per my discussions with Skoda Sales, i have been informed that car comes with a standard warranty for 4 years or 100K kms. I have also been told that spare parts for RS ( & Kodiaq also) needs to be imported whenever the need be.

However, I'm keen on understanding the following -

1) In-spite of of having default warranty for 4 years - Would an owner need to wait till spare part arrive when there is need for part replacement? Is this applicable for even easier part that may wear out like head lamps.

2) Maintanence post 4 years - Would there be necessary support from Skoda to source necessary parts post 4 years of warranty ?

3) Skoda - quiet notorious for after sales & services, are there after markets service provides who may be off help for regular service of the vehicle and sourcing spares whenever requried?

Any info on these very helpful and highly appreciated.

Thanks
Amar Madhavan
Old 11th December 2017, 13:36   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar.madhavan View Post

However, I'm keen on understanding the following -

1) In-spite of of having default warranty for 4 years - Would an owner need to wait till spare part arrive when there is need for part replacement? Is this applicable for even easier part that may wear out like head lamps.

2) Maintanence post 4 years - Would there be necessary support from Skoda to source necessary parts post 4 years of warranty ?

3) Skoda - quiet notorious for after sales & services, are there after markets service provides who may be off help for regular service of the vehicle and sourcing spares whenever requried?
1.) For simpler parts like headlamps and basic service spares such as airfilter, etc. there wouldn't be any waiting period for the part arrival as these are the basic spares which Skoda India would make sure that they're available at any point of time.
2.) Maintenance post 4-years shouldn't be a problem at all. Thanks to the coming up of capable FNG's who can handle a car as complex as a vRS. The vRS being a global product, the part availability isn't an issue and you can even order the required spares online and get the car serviced outside Skoda.
3.) Since the car is covered under Company warranty for four years, I wouldn't recommend it getting serviced elsewhere outside company workshops. If, by any chance, if you've ended up with a part that has failed and is expensive to replace, the company might reject your warranty claim stating that the car was always serviced outside Skoda's workshop.

Hope I was of some help. Keep us updated with regard of your purchase.

Varun

Last edited by Varun_HexaGuy : 11th December 2017 at 13:37. Reason: Fixing quote
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 13:47   #119
Team-BHP Support

Saw two of these on my commute to work today, the red and the blue.

I'm not an envious person, but boy does this car evoke a reaction even cars worth a few times more don't.
Old 11th December 2017, 13:50   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Saw two of these on my commute to work today, the red and the blue.

I'm not an envious person, but boy does this car evoke a reaction even cars worth a few times more don't.
I'm already dying of envy especially after a cousin of mine bought one in race blue. I'm literally hitting my head against the wall as to why didn't I wait for a few days and ended up buying a Hexa. But still, I love my Hexa to the bits but the vRS is a dream ride of mine.

Most Viewed