Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:32   #136
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 716
Thanked: 894 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Will the petrol MT Verna be as reliable as a comparable Jap sedan for the next 7 to 10 years min if maintained properly? Have any existing old Verna owners faced any expensive repairs not related to accidents etc?

Thanks.
I don't see why a petrol Verna should be less reliable as compared to a Jap, if you're talking about mechanical reliability. However, it's more likely for the Jap to be more fun to drive along with better dynamics like steering feel and suspension setup. I personally find Hyundai petrols a bit dull when it comes to fun factor, but maybe that's just me.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 23:05   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 56
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Will the petrol MT Verna be as reliable as a comparable Jap sedan for the next 7 to 10 years min if maintained properly? Have any existing old Verna owners faced any expensive repairs not related to accidents etc?
FWIW, 6.5 years, 91k kms after, I have no complaints (touch wood) with my SX(O) VTVT AT. 10k service intervals, with each service setting me back by 7k approx (excluding any cosmetic touch up/rubbing/polishing). No expensive repairs due to wear/tear (I did have an accident at 15k which broke front left suspension + burst tyre, covered by 0 dep insurance). Did get the front brake-discs changed at 30k due to scoring, but I'd attribute it to my own error of not getting the brake pads replaced in time

The only thing I didn't/don't like is the old school 4 speed tranny which causes a high-frequency whine on long Expressway drives - but that shouldn't matter anyway for '17 Verna.

Last edited by actinium15 : 23rd March 2018 at 23:09. Reason: For clarity
actinium15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 18:50   #138
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 811
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

I'm looking to buy the EX version. A query: Is it possible to change the stock HU of EX with the Hyundai stock HU used in SX version?
NutsNBolts is offline  
Old 26th March 2018, 15:51   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 830 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Some concerns have been expressed on the braking prowess of Verna. Are there any aftermarket solutions that can remedy this?
When I started driving my new Verna 1.6D AT, it was felt that the braking was inferior to the other car I was driving which is a Punto. Verna's braking had inconsistencies in the 'bite'.

However, after crossing few thousands of Kms on the odo, I don't experience that problem of inconsistent bite anymore. May be the pad/rotor needed some running in. But still Punto's braking is better than Verna's.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 21:34   #140
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 811
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
When I started driving my new Verna 1.6D AT, it was felt that the braking was inferior to the other car I was driving which is a Punto. Verna's braking had inconsistencies in the 'bite'.

However, after crossing few thousands of Kms on the odo, I don't experience that problem of inconsistent bite anymore. May be the pad/rotor needed some running in. But still Punto's braking is better than Verna's.
Thanks. I drive Linea right now and your reply puts things in perspective.
NutsNBolts is offline  
Old 26th March 2018, 22:06   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 830 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Thanks. I drive Linea right now and your reply puts things in perspective.
I drive a Linea occasionally.
If I am to quickly compare some of the aspects of these two cars, here's how it would look like, on a scale of 1 to 5, these values apply strictly within the segment:

Linea:
Power - 3
Handling - 4
Ride comfort - 5
Braking - 4
Interior quality - 2
Fuel Efficiency - 3
Driver Ergonomics - 3

Verna 2017:
Power - 5
Handling - 4 (yes a 4, after taking it through some twisties and corners!)
Ride comfort - 3
Braking - 3
Interior quality - 4
Fuel Efficiency - 3
Driver Ergonomics - 4

Last edited by clevermax : 26th March 2018 at 22:13.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 11:56   #142
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 811
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Help Me Make a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I drive a Linea occasionally.
If I am to quickly compare some of the aspects of these two cars, here's how it would look like, on a scale of 1 to 5, these values apply strictly within the segment:

Linea:
Power - 3
Handling - 4
Ride comfort - 5
Braking - 4
Interior quality - 2
Fuel Efficiency - 3
Driver Ergonomics - 3

Verna 2017:
Power - 5
Handling - 4 (yes a 4, after taking it through some twisties and corners!)
Ride comfort - 3
Braking - 3
Interior quality - 4
Fuel Efficiency - 3
Driver Ergonomics - 4
Great!!

I drive 1.4NA and want to choose between 1.6VTVT SX(O) or 1.6 CDRDi EX due to vitamin M. I'm inclined to go for CRDi and get aftermarket alloys plus Hyundai OEM AVN system.

Requesting fellow forum members to help me make a choice.
NutsNBolts is offline  
Old 28th March 2018, 17:00   #143
BHPian
 
AjayJohri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 30
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Help Me Make a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
I drive 1.4NA and want to choose between 1.6VTVT SX(O) or 1.6 CDRDi EX due to vitamin M. I'm inclined to go for CRDi and get aftermarket alloys plus Hyundai OEM AVN system.
Hi Kapil! For your consideration:

- VTVT (petrol) or CRDI (diesel) are cousins with different abilities. You need to figure out what you need, depending upon your usage, daily drive distance, etc.
* Petrol will give you amazing refinement, low maintenance, a fair amount of zip, plus free you of the worries of a possible 10-year limit on the car's life.
* Diesel will give you more pulling power, better FE, though you will need to settle for slightly higher maintenance and lower refinement, along with the possibility of the 10-year limit.

- Vit M is always an issue. I would urge you to consider buying what you truly like, and get a variant wherein the toys of your desire come factory-fitted. Look at the excess money you will pay divided by the years you intend to hold the car, and evaluate. The SX (O), though available in petrol only, will thrill you.

Cheers, and wish you an awesome buy ahead!
AjayJohri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 20:45   #144
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 811
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Help Me Make a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post
Hi Kapil! For your consideration:

- VTVT (petrol) or CRDI (diesel) are cousins with different abilities. You need to figure out what you need, depending upon your usage, daily drive distance, etc.
* Petrol will give you amazing refinement, low maintenance, a fair amount of zip, plus free you of the worries of a possible 10-year limit on the car's life.
* Diesel will give you more pulling power, better FE, though you will need to settle for slightly higher maintenance and lower refinement, along with the possibility of the 10-year limit.

- Vit M is always an issue. I would urge you to consider buying what you truly like, and get a variant wherein the toys of your desire come factory-fitted. Look at the excess money you will pay divided by the years you intend to hold the car, and evaluate. The SX (O), though available in petrol only, will thrill you.

Cheers, and wish you an awesome buy ahead!
Thanks for the valuable inputs. I do want to go with CRDi but as you pointed out, 10 year limit on a diesel plus the (you never know which ones)new oncoming motor vehicle policies make diesel a riskier than petrol.
NutsNBolts is offline  
Old 29th March 2018, 10:48   #145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 126
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Help Me Make a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Thanks for the valuable inputs. I do want to go with CRDi but as you pointed out, 10 year limit on a diesel plus the (you never know which ones)new oncoming motor vehicle policies make diesel a riskier than petrol.
I think Verna 1.6 CRDi will still be registered for 15 years in Delhi. In few cases some of the diesel cars have got 10yrs printed on the RC but in the RTO database the car is still registered for 15yrs. I have seen cases where the original RC shown 10yrs printed on them while getting a duplicate issued shows 15yrs and I know it is very strange.
SpoiledBratt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 11:52   #146
BHPian
 
AjayJohri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 30
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Help Me Make a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
I think Verna 1.6 CRDi will still be registered for 15 years in Delhi.
Hi. You are right, but one doesn't really know when the Govt. could roll that back. It could be this year, or even 5 years down the line...hard to predict.

Globally, diesel as a fuel for cars is being labelled as a bad boy. Further, with the rising levels of air pollution in Delhi and other big cities, the smog-laden winter months, rising cases of bronchitis, the Govt. is bound to take a hard look at curbing pollution. Also, car batteries and electric vehicles are likely to make significant advancements over the next five years, and this will encourage the policymakers to look down harshly at Diesel.

So with all this in mind, the odds are against the diesel. That was one reason why, after driving the Tata Indigo for almost 14 years, I went in for a petrol car. Overall, it is a scenario driven case - if I were clocking at least 3000 kms per month, I would have still gone in for a diesel engine...the risk-benefit would have been more balanced then.
AjayJohri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 20:00   #147
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 811
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Help Me Make a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
I think Verna 1.6 CRDi will still be registered for 15 years in Delhi. In few cases, some of the diesel cars have got 10yrs printed on the RC but in the RTO database, the car is still registered for 15yrs. I have seen cases where the original RC shown 10yrs printed on them while getting a duplicate issued shows 15yrs and I know it is very strange.
That may be the case in printing and actuals. But I don't think it's worth the risk at the time of selling, as this reason can definitely bring down the selling cost+ likely expenditure in extending registration. With Mr. Nitin Gadkari showing his dislike for diesels ( IIRC, He made a statement regarding how he wanted to show his ire to big diesels) and the new push towards EVs, diesel may be a risky proposition 5-7 years down the line.
NutsNBolts is offline  
Old 30th March 2018, 23:34   #148
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gurgaon/Srinaga
Posts: 352
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Hyundai Verna : Official Review

I am planning to buy the new Verna. I went for a test drive and liked the car. The only thing which I found lacking are the brakes. I found them spongy. Otherwise overall it's an excellent package at such a price point. Now the dealer has two SXO diesel variants from dec 2017 manufactured in his stockyard. He has offered a discount of 55000 and willing to negotiate a bit more if I choose to buy the 2017 model. Now discount offered to me is on ex showroom price which means I further save on insurance and TDS. The total saving comes to nearly 80k. Its left me in a dilemma wether I should get a 2018 model or a 2017 model. I am planning to buy the SXO variant only. Any advise on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 30th March 2018 at 23:39.
rajamuneeb is offline  
Old 31st March 2018, 07:51   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 398
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Hi Rajamuneeb, To me 80k seems like a good deal on a new product. Hyundai definitely has one of the best drive trains today in that segment. The handling and ride is also much improved over the previous gen. The cabin was a bit of a disappointment for me considering the low set rear seats and the small driver seats but I am a bit on the heavier side.

Overall this seems like a tempting deal. Make sure you test drive City , ciaz, scross too just to get a reference point on what you are missing out on in terms of cabin. Also ensure that you are getting the buyback offer too that Hyundai is offering.

I was offered some good discounts from Honda even for 2018 city recently. So worth checking that too.
vishnurp99 is offline  
Old 31st March 2018, 10:22   #150
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
I am planning to buy the new Verna. I went for a test drive and liked the car. The only thing which I found lacking are the brakes. I found them spongy. Otherwise overall it's an excellent package at such a price point. Now the dealer has two SXO diesel variants from dec 2017 manufactured in his stockyard. He has offered a discount of 55000 and willing to negotiate a bit more if I choose to buy the 2017 model. Now discount offered to me is on ex showroom price which means I further save on insurance and TDS. The total saving comes to nearly 80k. Its left me in a dilemma wether I should get a 2018 model or a 2017 model. I am planning to buy the SXO variant only. Any advise on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
If you are planning to keep the car for a long period - meaning not reselling in few years - then go for the 2017 model. 80k is a significant discount.
DigitalOne is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks