Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 12:14   #166
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Wife and I both loved Verna SX(O) AT during test drive. It's a fully loaded car and even lesser knee room on rear seat is not a bother for us. I'm getting a quote of 14.84 lacs OTR in Hyderabad with all the bells and whistles like Zero-dep insurance, fasttag, teflon coat, etc. I have talked to 3 dealers and got the same price with waiting of 10 days for Fiery Red color.
Can I push for more discount? Any SX(O) AT owners in Hyd, please suggest.
realcoolhand is offline  
Old 5th May 2018, 19:54   #167
BHPian
 
red.devil_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

This just popped up on my Facebook feed!

Hyundai seems to be offering Rs. 20,000/- discount on the Verna. This is the first time that I have seen any offers on the new Verna. Perhaps in anticipation of additional competition from the Yaris?

Name:  Hyundai Discounts_May2018.PNG
Views: 5876
Size:  21.1 KB
red.devil_19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 12:12   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,802
Thanked: 986 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcoolhand View Post
Wife and I both loved Verna SX(O) AT during test drive. It's a fully loaded car and even lesser knee room on rear seat is not a bother for us. I'm getting a quote of 14.84 lacs OTR in Hyderabad with all the bells and whistles like Zero-dep insurance, fasttag, teflon coat, etc. I have talked to 3 dealers and got the same price with waiting of 10 days for Fiery Red color.
Can I push for more discount? Any SX(O) AT owners in Hyd, please suggest.
I guess the AT comes in SX+ AT variant and not in SX(O). I wonder what stopped Hyundai offering the AT in top end model. You dont get Ventilated seats and additional 4 airbags in top end AT model of Verna
neoonwheels is offline  
Old 6th May 2018, 12:45   #169
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Sorry for the oversight. Given my usage, I went with Petrol version VTVT and that SX(O) variant has AT. Anyway, I was able to manage nearly 20k discount and went with company car lease. Booked Fiery red colour and awaiting delivery on 10th May.

TDed City ZX and Ciaz. Verna is miles ahead of both in features and driver comfort which is paramount to me. The smile on my daughter's face when she saw sunroof (for the first time) during TD sealed the deal. (City has sunroof too)
City ZX is good as everyone has already said for people looking for rear legroom. Ciaz engine was a big letdown for me.
realcoolhand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 13:18   #170
BHPian
 
red.devil_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I guess the AT comes in SX+ AT variant and not in SX(O). I wonder what stopped Hyundai offering the AT in top end model. You dont get Ventilated seats and additional 4 airbags in top end AT model of Verna
I guess realcoolhand is referring to the Verna Petrol AT top end. It does have a SX(O) AT trim. So you get the Ventilated Seats and four additional airbags. The top end Verna diesel AT however is available only in SX+ AT, which misses out on these features.

Attaching a screenshot from the Verna's brochure for reference.

Name:  Verna_Trims.PNG
Views: 5481
Size:  15.6 KB
red.devil_19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 13:40   #171
BHPian
 
typlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Delhi/Mysore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

So, it happened. A new Verna (EX Diesel, super VFM) came into our family today. This is the second time we have a Verna in our garage and is by far, my favourite sedan. I noticed that the diesel turbo lag that was present in the last model is gone, but so is the mad rush beyond 2000 rpm
One thing I can't digest is the horrific sales figures of the New Verna. Hyundai has failed, yet again to cause any noticeable changes to the rigid Indian mindset and their inclination towards compact SUVs and Hondas. After driving both the petrol and the diesel, I would still prefer the Honda City Petrol over the Verna Petrol but Diesel is a different picture altogether.
typlo is offline  
Old 7th May 2018, 17:43   #172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 507 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Dear all. My friend recently bought New Hyundai Verna Automatic Diesel couple of days back and there is a very annoying and loud engine knocking sound which is irritating when the engine has not fully attained the minimum temperature. The sound is highly audible in the RPM range of 1500-1800 when the throttle is not fully depressed i.e. when driven with a light foot.
Even i drove and found it very unpleasant and irritating. The engine knocking is less when the temperature rises but is still present. Can anyone confirm if they are facing similar issues? Also, if you could help out on the same.

The noise is really non-Hyundai-sh. As they are super silent and i have never heard such noise from my Hyundai i20 (82,000 km) and even fluidic Verna (1.25 lakh km). FYI - the noise is not the typical diesel engine drone. We are trying to push for replacement, but i doubt any dealer would accept this.
shravan2k2 is offline  
Old 7th May 2018, 23:27   #173
BHPian
 
typlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Delhi/Mysore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Dear all. My friend recently bought New Hyundai Verna Automatic Diesel couple of days back and there is a very annoying and loud engine knocking sound which is irritating when the engine has not fully attained the minimum temperature. The sound is highly audible in the RPM range of 1500-1800 when the throttle is not fully depressed i.e. when driven with a light foot.
Even i drove and found it very unpleasant and irritating. The engine knocking is less when the temperature rises but is still present. Can anyone confirm if they are facing similar issues? Also, if you could help out on the same.

The noise is really non-Hyundai-sh. As they are super silent and i have never heard such noise from my Hyundai i20 (82,000 km) and even fluidic Verna (1.25 lakh km). FYI - the noise is not the typical diesel engine drone. We are trying to push for replacement, but i doubt any dealer would accept this.
If it sounds like a hammer and the sound disappears after the engine has attained its operating temperature, it is normal. Diesel is essentially an oil below the operating temperature. Hammering sound is avoided at idle by multiple injections (pilot and main - 5+ injections in a cycle). Depress throttle a little and no. of injections eventually reduce to 1 with increasing RPM. When the engine is cold, a single injection or less number of injections tend to make a hammering sound. Talk to the service manager at the ASC next time. Also, after a few services, you'll notice the reduction in overall engine oil (protip - check the fluid levels and engine oil right now, and check for leaks, that will help you identify immediate problems).
typlo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 09:15   #174
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 507 Times
Default Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
If it sounds like a hammer and the sound disappears after the engine has attained its operating temperature, it is normal. Diesel is essentially an oil below the operating temperature. Hammering sound is avoided at idle by multiple injections (pilot and main - 5+ injections in a cycle). Depress throttle a little and no. of injections eventually reduce to 1 with increasing RPM. When the engine is cold, a single injection or less number of injections tend to make a hammering sound. Talk to the service manager at the ASC next time. Also, after a few services, you'll notice the reduction in overall engine oil (protip - check the fluid levels and engine oil right now, and check for leaks, that will help you identify immediate problems).

The sound is not what you are thinking. I know that Diesel engine sound when the engine has not attained desired temperature as I drive the fluidic Verna diesel and i20 diesel for the last 5 years. It's totally different.

I did communicate this to my friend and he updated that it is now happening irrespective of temperature. As soon as brakes are applied around a speed of 80-90 KM/h and suddenly accelerated post breaking the knocking sound becomes unbearable and creeps into the cabin like a tractor.
Now the company has cleaned the tank assuming there was kerosene in diesel. But, it really won't go.

Last edited by shravan2k2 : 8th May 2018 at 09:17.
shravan2k2 is offline  
Old 8th May 2018, 09:22   #175
BHPian
 
typlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Delhi/Mysore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I did communicate this to my friend and he updated that it is now happening irrespective of temperature. As soon as brakes are applied around a speed of 80-90 KM/h and suddenly accelerated post breaking the knocking sound becomes unbearable and creeps into the cabin like a tractor.
Now the company has cleaned the tank assuming there was kerosene in diesel. But, it really won't go.
Sorry to hear that. This sounds very unusual. From what you wrote, I infer that the sound is indeed very loud and persistent. It is best to get the power train checked comprehensively by the service center. Ask your friend to stand his ground with the service center people, they usually are lazy and working overtime so they tend to dismiss major issues as 'normal'. Get them to do a comprehensive check up, change oil and fluids if required (remember to get the correct viscosity oil for the diesel Verna) and update us here. I hope your friend gets a solution to the problem soon, for he's paid money for the car. He certainly has the right to enjoy the ride
typlo is offline  
Old 8th May 2018, 23:21   #176
BHPian
 
ishlinea7260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: .
Posts: 399
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

What could have been better?

1. There is no foot well lighting in SX variant!
Are the higher variants SX (O) equipped with footwell lighting?
I am confused as itís not mentioned in the brochure.
ishlinea7260 is offline  
Old 9th May 2018, 10:01   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: mumbai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
After driving both the petrol and the diesel, I would still prefer the Honda City Petrol over the Verna Petrol but Diesel is a different picture altogether.
I guess its the lack of space in the rear seat + perception of lower fuel economy from verna as compared to the city + smaller boot + The brand value of honda being better which is causing the loss of customers to hyundai.

But this hasnt resulted in a big gain for honda because the city now needs an all new model and its clearly over-priced.

The result is that most sedan buyers are making a go for the three cars, ciaz, city and verna based on which of the three suits their personal needs the best.

In my opinion, both the verna petrol and diesel are vfm. The Sx petrol costs Rs.11.35 lakh on road mumbai whereas the city vx (comparable variant) costs Rs.14 lakh on road mumbai.

Based on my test drives, the verna returned 8-9kpl and the city returned 10-11 in mumbai traffic conditions and 13-14kpl (verna) vs 16-17kpl (city) on the highway. So if I were to consider dissipating the additional cost of the city over the cost of the verna considering a 80% city and 20% highway driving ratio it would take me 1,44,000 kms to just equalise the cost. and then if I let go the space aspect and the lesser fun to drive factor the verna seems to be a much better product in terms of tangible quality.

But not all of us think that way!
The AG 6167 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 19:12   #178
BHPian
 
typlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Delhi/Mysore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post
I guess its the lack of space in the rear seat + perception of lower fuel economy from verna as compared to the city + smaller boot + The brand value of honda being better which is causing the loss of customers to hyundai.
I absolutely loathe the space in the rear in the Verna. I was pretty astonished how well Honda has managed to package the City with huge rear legroom and bigger bootspace. But when I'm in the car, I disregard anything other than the driver's seat , which is amazing both with respect to the controls it offers to the driver, and the quality + layout of the overall cockpit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post
But this hasnt resulted in a big gain for honda because the city now needs an all new model and its clearly over-priced.
This is why my family went with the Verna. City is long overdue for a facelift and maybe some cost reduction too. If Verna can present such a good quality with a quality dashboard, buttons and even spaces between crevices in the body with a much lower price and including almost all essential features from the mid model onwards, why can't city? I personally want City to drop the 5 variants they sell, maybe step down to a reasonable number (3?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post
Based on my test drives, the verna returned 8-9kpl and the city returned 10-11 in mumbai traffic conditions and 13-14kpl (verna) vs 16-17kpl (city) on the highway. So if I were to consider dissipating the additional cost of the city over the cost of the verna considering a 80% city and 20% highway driving ratio it would take me 1,44,000 kms to just equalise the cost. and then if I let go the space aspect and the lesser fun to drive factor the verna seems to be a much better product in terms of tangible quality.
Verna petrol is a great engine TBH, its just, petrol engines won't be able to deliver a good FE with the current technology. I expect 10-11 kmpl from a non-testdrive vehicle. But the diesel is where's the fun at. It pulls, simply stated. Adding the cruise control in the EX variant is a boon for me since the family frequents long and smooth highways like the NH-1 (but honestly, we need to leave early to have a chance of even engaging the cruise control, because indian drivers
typlo is offline  
Old 10th May 2018, 22:10   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 507 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
Sorry to hear that. This sounds very unusual. From what you wrote, I infer that the sound is indeed very loud and persistent. It is best to get the power train checked comprehensively by the service center. Ask your friend to stand his ground with the service center people, they usually are lazy and working overtime so they tend to dismiss major issues as 'normal'. Get them to do a comprehensive check up, change oil and fluids if required (remember to get the correct viscosity oil for the diesel Verna) and update us here. I hope your friend gets a solution to the problem soon, for he's paid money for the car. He certainly has the right to enjoy the ride

They did clean the tank and topped up fresh diesel in it. But no use. They were blaming that diesel was adulterated with Kerosene. If that was the case it would have solved the issue. But no. My friend would visit the showroom tomorrow, if possible I would also. I already told him to stick to your points firmly.
As a case I have a commercial vehicle thread on Swaraj tractor which has a design issue and had to fight for its replacement for more than two years. It was not easy for me, I tell you.
Well, I will update what happens tomorrow.
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 22:28   #180
BHPian
 
typlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Delhi/Mysore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
They did clean the tank and topped up fresh diesel in it. But no use. They were blaming that diesel was adulterated with Kerosene. If that was the case it would have solved the issue. But no. My friend would visit the showroom tomorrow, if possible I would also. I already told him to stick to your points firmly.
As a case I have a commercial vehicle thread on Swaraj tractor which has a design issue and had to fight for its replacement for more than two years. It was not easy for me, I tell you.
Well, I will update what happens tomorrow.
This happens way too often, my friend. The guys at the ASC blame the fuel first just because they believe that would relieve them of the bother. Ask them for a proof, tests that they might have they done to ascertain whether it is kerosene adulteration, and by how much. If they don't tell you the amount or try to condescendingly ask you to leave the problem with them because 'they are the mechanics, not you', ask for the service manager and politely make them understand that you'll write to Hyundai if they fail to solve the problem. Be analytical about the problem and ask them why, how, etc. This will present you as a more informed customer. Try to video or at least audio record the whole ordeal and take photos of your car, or whatever is being done, whether something is removed, fuel tank drained, whatever nuts and bolts are opened, tightened or anything else. It might make you a tough customer but this has to be done if ASC tries to cover up the issue. It will take time and energy and may eat into your office hours but your friend should make sure that his investment (the car) is in the best shape possible to enjoy it with peace of mind. Go to the ASC when the queue is short (on a weekday?), if possible so the mechanicals maybe diagnosed properly.
typlo is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks