Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 15:55   #196
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Bhpians, seriously thinking Verna petrol SX. I need to decide by this month end (finance issues). Only thing holds me back is the mileage it gives.

I am hearing mileage like 8-9 KMPL average in city traffic, is that true? I think, I am comfortable with a minimum of 11 KMPL average. My driving pattern is sedate, 80% in city bumper to bumper traffic (read 2nd and 3rd gear) and once in 3 months a dash to Konkan coast. Please help me with some realistic figure.
Hi, I have been driving my Verna SX Petrol Manual in city conditions mostly, not bumper to bumper traffic. With a light foot the mileage is around 9kmpl. Not too good a number for city conditions.

I drove approximately ~400 kms on the highway and it returned good fuel economy as I cruised along in 6th gear with my left foot mostly on the dead pedal. I did not calculate the number but it felt way better than city conditions. Waiting for the next stint on the highway to know better.
ashish2135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 09:31   #197
BHPian

Hyundai Verna : Rattles!

Just picked SX(O) Diesel two weeks back,driven close to 700 kms now.
Few issues that are bothering me:-

1. Brakes.
Brake feel is not similar to what you get in other cars.I mean it does stop within an adequate distance when you want it to but you will have to alter your braking reflexes slightly to adjust with it. Much has been said about the same and a fellow bhpian even got the brake fluid changed and brakes cleaned and that has made a difference.

2. Rattles!
One thing that annoys me to no end is interior panel rattles from a car that too just two weeks old! And I have not installed any idol or car perfume,my car is totally stock.Earlier it was the dashboard now it’s the co driver door panels. Sent the car few days after purchase, the advisor and the mechanic were asking me to leave it as it is as opening panels and dashboard might lead to scratches.Will wait for the first service to get these sorted again

3. Horn.
The horn is meek and just not justify its install to a four wheeler,period.
It sounds odd and believe me it’s so meek nobody bothers to look around when you are pressing it.
I am all against noise pollution but if sometimes you have to use the horn,at least it should sound properly.

Apart from these issues the 1.6 Diesel engine is a welcome change from my 1.3 MJD on my erstwhile Linea. The NVH levels are well contained.
The ventilated seats are a welcome addition! It’s 45 degrees in north India these days and these seats do make a difference.
The headlamps though are projector, I expected better illumination at night but these are any day nice to have rather than standard halogens.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 10:12   #198
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Rattles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Few issues that are bothering me:-
Congratulations on your new car! The Verna diesel is my top pick in its segment.

I'm surprised about the rattles, since Hyundais generally stay rattle free (I've owned a Santo Xing). How much of a nuisance are they? I imagine with the engine and road noise being well contained, the rattling sound would be even more prominent.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 10:29   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Congratulations on your new car! The Verna diesel is my top pick in its segment.

I'm surprised about the rattles, since Hyundais generally stay rattle free (I've owned a Santo Xing). How much of a nuisance are they? I imagine with the engine and road noise being well contained, the rattling sound would be even more prominent.
Thank you Aaron!
There is almost no engine noise but you hear some weird noises from the panels.
A layman would just crank up the volume and stay unaffected but we bhpians suffer from OCD’s and will not rest till the issue is resolved.
Old 30th May 2018, 21:14   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase. I too picked up the petrol 1.6 SX after owning 1.4 NA Linea. Agree with your observations on brakes, horns and lights. Haven't faced any rattles though. My car is two months and 1200km old.

Last edited by manson : 31st May 2018 at 14:15. Reason: Trimmed quote.
NutsNBolts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:53   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new ride. Excellent choice on the variant.

Quote:
1. Brakes.
Brake feel is not similar to what you get in other cars.I mean it does stop within an adequate distance when you want it to but you will have to alter your braking reflexes slightly to adjust with it. Much has been said about the same and a fellow bhpian even got the brake fluid changed and brakes cleaned and that has made a difference.
Typical hyundai braking. My '14 verna feels the same as well. Spongy might describe it better. Takes some getting used to that. But yes, it does stop when it should but a little more bite would be assuring. I think the hyundai ABS setup is too sensitive. Kicks in early.

Quote:
2. Rattles!
One thing that annoys me to no end is interior panel rattles from a car that too just two weeks old!
That is new !! Verna is not known for rattles. I have not experienced them in 4 years of ownership. Get it checked at the HASS. Or get some plastic tools and make it a DIY project.

Quote:
3. Horn.
The horn is meek and just not justify its install to a four wheeler,period.
Companies have to keep noise DB low enough to comply with all sorts of laws in every market.
I felt my horn was not loud enough until i used it once with the window glass rolled down. It seemed adequate and has been running fine since almost half a decade. Turns out its a very low cost hella horn, costing Rs180 something.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:15   #202
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from these issues the 1.6 Diesel engine is a welcome change from my 1.3 MJD on my erstwhile Linea. The NVH levels are well contained.
The ventilated seats are a welcome addition! It’s 45 degrees in north India these days and these seats do make a difference.
The headlamps though are projector, I expected better illumination at night but these are any day nice to have rather than standard halogens.
Congrats on your Next Gen Verna!!

You are indeed one person I would like to look up to. For one thing mainly. For the change from a Fiat Linea to Hyundai Verna. You haven't really said anything here on how you find the shift from Fiat to Hyundai in terms of

(a) steering set up and feel, its weighing up on highway etc...

(b) ride, how pliant and straight is the Hyundai compared to the Linea.

(c) confidence in the corners for a driver who does not, at the same time, really do a lot of cornering.

I would like to hear on these too.
I hope an additional powerful horn can be fitted afterwards. How about getting one of Creta?

Vip.
Old 1st June 2018, 21:03   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
For the change from a Fiat Linea to Hyundai Verna.
(a) steering set up and feel, its weighing up on highway etc...

(b) ride, how pliant and straight is the Hyundai compared to the Linea.

(c) confidence in the corners for a driver who does not, at the same time, really do a lot of cornering.
Hi, I also moved from Linea to Verna and following are my observations:

(a) Steering setup is very light at low speeds but weighs in nicely as the speed builds up. It definitely isn't as precise as Linea but won't leave you gasping in tight maneuvres. If, Linea 10, Verna 8

(b) Ride quality is quite good. The way the road noise and tire noise is controlled in Verna, makes Linea feel very very noisy. The composure of Verna is maintained at high speeds on encountering bumps etc on road. I do Jammu-Delhi quite a lot and on this road, triple digit speed behavior of both cars is nearly identical. If Linea 10, Verna 9 and I would give one more point for control of road noise and tire noise.

(c) Linea remains champion of cornering. Steering of Verna does inspire confidence but not enough to take a corner at high speed. Maybe it is also because I've been driving Verna for 2 months only and might take little more time to understand driving dynamics during cornering. If Linea 10, Verna 7.5.

Hope this information is useful for you.
NutsNBolts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:33   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Hi, I also moved from Linea to Verna and following are my observations:

Hope this information is useful for you.
Thanks a lot! And congrats to you too!

It is certainly useful. I have also been trying to figure out which would be the best buy in C2 at present. I have been using a Ford Fiesta since 2011. Hence the questions on ride and steering become important. But, I also feel, the entire 10 points for cornering etc are rarely used by people like us. On wide corners, of course, I have taken Fiesta at 100 kmph also, but only very rarely. I keep it otherwise at 65/70 kmph only. On tighter corners/turns, anyway I make it quite slow, and that is for the comfort of others in the car. They all like straight and smooth go rather than a sporty go.

I think the points that the current Verna gets in your inputs, are to be interpreted according to these requirements

Vip.
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:22   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the points that the current Verna gets in your inputs, are to be interpreted according to these requirements
A good set of luxury tyres will make a hell of a difference to ride+handling+braking, I've driven a Linea with Pirellis.. it just made the king of ride and handling atleast 50% better, but nothing can save the tyre if driven rashly over a sharp pothole though, the longevity of Pirellis are bad too.

Great premium range tyres on a Verna like Hankooks or Michelins or Continentals will improve the braking and grip much more.. a worthy investment I should say.

I have an Elantra.. no contest though, beats the Linea easily and the current Verna massively in terms of ride and grip. Even though the Verna is made on an older Elantra platform there is no contest. When driving, I hardly slow down for rough or bad patches (40-50 kmph only, no rash driving), while I find most vehicles, specially all German cars literally stopping to pass over cable pits and potholes, I don't even feel a twitch in the cabin or a single noise. This is the advantage of having a comfort based spring setup, it is a city slicker unlike any other.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
A good set of luxury tyres will make a hell of a difference to ride+handling+braking, I've driven a Linea with Pirellis.. it just made the king of ride and handling atleast 50% better, but nothing can save the tyre if driven rashly over a sharp pothole though, the longevity of Pirellis are bad too.

Great premium range tyres on a Verna like Hankooks or Michelins or Continentals will improve the braking and grip much more.. a worthy investment I should say.

I have an Elantra.. no contest though, beats the Linea easily and the current Verna massively in terms of ride and grip. Even though the Verna is made on an older Elantra platform there is no contest.
Thank you for the inputs.
The current gen Verna has been seen with Hankook tyres as stock already. I have also seen some of the present units with Bridgestone Ecopia. I think the latter is as good as (perhaps even better than) Michelin Energy (since it does not dry up and harden as fast as the Michelin Energy, I am told). I had used Michelins in my Fiesta.

Is the present Verna built on the old Elantra platform or the new Elantra platform?

Vip.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 2nd June 2018 at 14:37.
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:37   #207
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fiat Linea Comparo

Quote:

Vip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
I had owned Linea MJD for 5 years and 1.2 lakh Kms. In comaprison with the "Next Gen Verna", I would like to share my opinion:-

1. Steering and handling:

I still think that Linea used to offer an excellent steering feedback. The hydraluic setup made the car really stable at high speeds and during tackling corners.
The new Verna definitely has an improved steering from the earlier gen fluidic Verna which was quite scary at high speeds. The steering feedback in the new Verna in not
as lifless as the previous gen , however its not as direct as I would have liked. Its definitely not a deal breaker you just have to get used to a steering that is a
bit less direct but on the other hand is quite light for city speeds , so that it makes those tight turns a breeze. Since this is primarily our city car I was fine with it.

2. Ride quality:

Linea used to offer a decent ride quality for a mid size sedan even though the rear seat space is just about adequate.
Verna is no different, the ride quality is decent. the bumps and undulations do not generally result in unsettling the passengers but the space for the
rear occupants is tight.Especially in the SX(O) variant where the front seatbacks are lined with plastic probably for the ventilated seats, so if you are tall
your knees will scrape against the plastic in front which is definetely not the best rear seat experience!

3. NVH levels.

This is one category where the Verna scores!For a Diesel engine churning 120+ BHP the car is really silent.
No unnecessary vibrations on the gear lever, no more need to crank up the volume just to drown the engine noise.
The only time you hear a slightly "loud" engine noise is while starting the car in a basement parking lot or a closed garage.

About the Creta horn, it has been brought to my attention that the couplers in these two cars are different so it is not a straightforward swap job.
One would have to source the new couplers and maybe cut the wiring a bit which probably will void the warranty.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 17:04   #208
BANNED

Sorry for a not so relevant question here.

What should be an average waiting period for Verna at this point of time, if the vehicle is not available right at the Dealer's yard? Almost 3 weeks since I signed the booking amount, but my dealer is yet to get an allocation for me. Should I start arm twisting him now or give him some more time? Called few other dealers in the city and most are quoting around 5-6 weeks.
Old 6th June 2018, 19:21   #209
BHPian

Looks like a price hike on cards for the new Verna.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:45   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Drive View Post
Looks like a price hike on cards for the new Verna.
Well, the Verna has already had a price hike from 01-Jun-2018, when Hyundai hiked prices of all its cars (except the new Creta).

I'm keeping a tab on the prices of the Verna since I plan to buy a new car in the coming months and currently Verna is the front runner! The SX petrol variant which I'm considering, had an increase of about 5k on its ex-showroom price in Bangalore after the latest price revision.

Most Viewed