Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2018, 10:28   #436
BHPian

Finally! The Verna is back on my list of probably replacements. Now if only they'd put an automatic in the top end creta too, that'd be perfect.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:31   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Finally! The Verna is back on my list of probably replacements. Now if only they'd put an automatic in the top end creta too, that'd be perfect.
This is what happened with one of my friends as well. He picked up the Verna over Creta just because of this quirk.
Old 10th November 2018, 11:59   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
This is what happened with one of my friends as well. He picked up the Verna over Creta just because of this quirk.

Makes sense. Even though they're different segments and types of vehicles, that's not how most consumers, including I, think. I'm also going to wait for the TATA harrier but news is that might not come with an automatic at launch after all the hype.
Old 10th November 2018, 22:15   #439
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...aunched-410387

New editions of the Verna launched, 1.4 diesel E & EX, 1.6 petrol auto SX+ and 1.6 diesel auto SX(O): much needed one @ ₹13.99L

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th November 2018 at 22:20.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:12   #440
BHPian

Thankfully, I had no such confusion between Creta and Verna because I always felt getting in and out of Creta's backseat is awkward. Verna's entry and exit is very convenient. I still don't understand why Creta is highly priced. Verna's 6 airbags and front ventilated seats made it a no brainer for me to choose it over City, Creta and Ciaz. I recently went for a long drive from Hyderabad to Nagpur/Kanha NP and the ride was absolutely amazing and more than half of it was driven by my wife who is still in Learning phase. The additional accesories I added were iPad holder, backseat organizer and magnetic window shades. A pretty decent average of 15 kmpl too (SXO AT Petrol)
realcoolhand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 22:26   #441
BHPian

Audible Confirmation on Lock/Unlock

Can someone try locking/unlocking the car with Hood open and check if the car locks without honk ? If so please check if rest of the security system works fine.
AFAIK the front hood Close/Open sensor is passive.
Old 15th November 2018, 14:22   #442
BHPian

I have got a good quote for my verna (Diesel SX-O) 2nd year insurance renewal from Royal Sundaram.

I have got quote from ICICI Lombard, Tata AIG, HDFC Argo and Royal Sundaram.

Among all those I have received "Royal Sundaram's" is the cheapest

Details of the quotes:

IDV: INR 11.90L
Premium: INR 33,600.00
AddOns:
Zero Dep with Consumables (Unlimited Zero Dep Claim)
Spare Car allowance
RTI (incl Road Tax)
Loss of Baggage
Engine Protect
Key Replacement
Tyre Cover

Last edited by hardilip : 15th November 2018 at 14:23. Reason: Format
Old 19th November 2018, 11:13   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcoolhand View Post
Thankfully, I had no such confusion between Creta and Verna because
Hi Realcoolhead! I drive the same car as you do, and the Creta and the City were the others that i was considering.

The Creta looks goods from the outside, perhaps it falsely satisfied my greed for a semi-SUV look. However, I found the interiors too drab - I wanted a car that not only looked good from the outside, but also pampered me well when I stepped inside the cabin. Plus I felt that it was not roomy at all - my legs just vanished into a deep well containing the ABC, and gave a feeling of rather tight space. On top of this, it missed way too many features (ventilated seats, sunroof, apple play and others) to charm me into buying it.

The City was awesome to step into... what a lovely cabin! But then, for the same amount of money, it stopped short of offering me higher safety (just 2 airbags) and a truckload of features (even the reverse sensors were missing, forget about ventilated seats, rear curtain, cornering lights etc.). Plus its suspension, ride quality and power was not in the same league as that of the Verna. So Verna it was for me. Bought it in September 2017, and my black beauty was the lone tiger on the streets for a good 6-8 months after that. Turned quite a few heads, and a few good guys were sweet enough to say that they thought it looked like a BMW

On the fuel-economy front, I have seen the worst at about 4.5 kmpl in a particularly long and slow-creeping traffic. However, it gives me a decent 15 kmpl on good drives when I can ride freely - say the Delhi-Gurgaon route on Sundays when the office traffic is missing. I went to Agra once, and it returned me 17 kmpl doorstep-to-doorstep. On the yamuna expressway, it delivered 19-20 kmpl driving at about 100-120 km/hr, with cruise engaged.

I think you can easily attain a much higher average on your long drives if you try to use the cruise control whenever possible.

Happy driving, and enjoy your awesome car!
AjayJohri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:04   #444
Senior - BHPian

1.6 D Manual Transmission users - info needed!

Curious to know your fuel efficiency patterns on city (bumper to bumper), heavy-medium traffic and on highways.

My neighbor has Verna 1.6D MT, I have 1.6D AT,
we both have the same daily commute route (~12 kms ) to office, he drives about 3 more kms more through the highway to reach his office. The route contains few empty stretches, couple of junctions with heavy traffic, but on an average one could classify it as a medium traffic density route.

His car shows a fuel efficiency of 19 kmpl while mine is always between 12 and 14 kmpl, and never crossed 13.5 kmpl with the daily commute..!

Of course I drive more aggressively but massive difference between AT and MT!
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:10   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Curious to know your fuel efficiency patterns on city (bumper to bumper), heavy-medium traffic and on highways.
My neighbor has Verna 1.6D MT, I have 1.6D AT.

We both have the same daily commute route (~12 kms ) to office, he drives about 3 more kms more through the highway to reach his office...

His car shows a fuel efficiency of 19 kmpl while mine is always between 12 and 14 kmpl..!
1. You have different transmissions, and Torque Converters are known to be slightly less efificient than their manual counterparts.
2. You have different commute routes. He drives 25% more, and that too, through the highways.
3. You claim to drive more aggressively. In my experience, and based on the conversations I've had with other drivers, this is the single biggest factor for the difference in mileages, even between the exact same car models.

For any sort of scientific comparison, you have to compare just one parameter, keeping all else constant. Your point of comparison is mileage between your AT and his MT. So pick the same route and driving style and then check for any differences?

I also say this out of experience with a friend's Verna 1.6D SX MT that always shows around 14 kmpl (varying between 12-16 kmpl) because he has a heavy right foot!

Cheers!
CaptainPrice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:29   #446
Senior - BHPian

I have a SX MT 1.6D. I have noticed FE between 17 to 19 on the MID. At times even 20 plus. The DTE on being filled to the brim is a delightful 800+ kms on a full tank. The last tankful yielded 17.2 kmpl.

My driving pattern is daily 62 kms. The morning drive has light traffic with ~50% highway driving. Evening it's medium to heavy traffic. Morning commute takes ~1 hour while the evening ranges from min 1.2 to 2.5 hours.

My way of shifting is geared towards economy with up shifts above ~1250 RPM and below 2k RPM. Personally I believe it's quite reckless to drive at high speeds in a congested city like Mumbai so I really don't bother about speeding. One can't hold high speeds for long anyways.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd November 2018 at 14:39.
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:29   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake47 View Post
1. Should I wait for the SXO variant to get launched (CRDI SXO AT), is it worth it?
I own a SX+ Diesel AT and I terribly miss the keyless entry and push button start/stop for the price I paid. The manual key is chunkier too compared to keyless one making it little more difficult to carry in pocket. The sunroof is of no practical use and after a while you almost forgets that it exists. How I wish they provided keyless entry instead of sunroof in the SX+ variant. The MID provides a lot more information, customisation options and settings in SXO in addition to being a graphical display.

Apart from that you get the 4 additional airbags, automatic boot lid, ventilated seats, auto link telematics dongle, adjustable rear head rest etc that I can think of.

Only AT transmissions get a feature called eco coating that they claim to block external odour completely although I felt foul smell sneaks in very rarely. I didn't particularly like the colour combination of the seat covers and changed it to all beige perforated slink leather, but if you opt for SXO you cannot do that because of the airbags mounted on the front seat as well as the seat ventilation.

Being an ex-Rapid owner I miss the remote roll up/down windows, all window one touch up/down, electric boot button inside (Verna gets two levers to open the boot and fuel lid, I wonder how difficult it was to make it electric) and most important of all the space at the second row. Everything else I feels adequate or better than Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake47 View Post
2. I'm planning to keep it for the next 5-6 years. Assuming I buy the Diesel, any thoughts on what the scenario could be in terms of resale or whether it makes sense to buy a diesel? (given decreasing relevance of Diesel cars in time to come (read potential ban) + Emission norms update in 2019 and 2020)
I have no idea of the resale value and future prospects of depreciation due to diesel engine ban and expecting some expert comments here. But I personally believe nothing will change before 2030. Diesel is a bit noisy, but it makes up with its power and driving pleasure.
X-Factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 14:00   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
1. You have different transmissions

2. You have different commute routes.

3. You claim to drive more aggressively.

For any sort of scientific comparison, you have to compare just one parameter, keeping all else constant.

Cheers!
Yes, the differences were well understood before I posted. My only point was that the delta in FE across AT and MT is much higher than on paper.

Yesterday I drove to office with a very light food on the pedal. The traffic was usual and I got an FE of 14.5kmpl. For MT, it would be around 18-19.5 kmpl, that just gives a realistic picture of the difference in FE.
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:21   #449
BHPian

Took delivery of my Verna today. It is the newly introduced diesel SX(O) AT and replaces a remapped Vento diesel on bilsteins so has pretty big shoes to fill in.

Initial impressions:
1. Equipment list is impressive. Hyundai has done a good job of introducing the top model with auto gearbox.
2. Brakes will need sometime getting used to. The pedal feedback is very different from what you have on a VW. Brakes do their job but the anchor drops only after the initial inch of pedal travel.
3. Rear space is bad. I am 5"10 and i could just about mange to sit with driver seat in my position.
4. Rear Camera quality in the night is bad.
5. Stock headlights are good.

Upgrades done:
1. 4300k Osram HIDs in stock projectors
2. Debadged.
3. Tyres upgraded to Michelin P3ST 205/55 R16.

Drove the car for 128 kms today of which 110 kms was on the highway. MID showed fuel consumption of 18.3 kmpl which is not bad for a brand new car with speeds not exceeding 100 kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181123-20.25.18.jpeg  

Last edited by ramneek009 : 23rd November 2018 at 22:23.
ramneek009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 17:28   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

My neighbor has Verna 1.6D MT, I have 1.6D AT,
we both have the same daily commute route (~12 kms ) to office, he drives about 3 more kms more through the highway to reach his office. The route contains few empty stretches, couple of junctions with heavy traffic, but on an average one could classify it as a medium traffic density route.

His car shows a fuel efficiency of 19 kmpl while mine is always between 12 and 14 kmpl, and never crossed 13.5 kmpl with the daily commute..!

There is a marked difference in the fuel economy between the manual and the automatic versions, my own cousin brother has the the 1.6 SX+ diesel auto and I, as you know have the 1.6 diesel manual SX(O), my car’s fuel efficiency rarely goes above 14.5 (best case scenario)in the city as that’s where the majority of the usage is. On the highway it ranges from anywhere between 17- 20 kmpl depending on how hard you’re driving the car. In city conditions my brother seldom gets more than 9 kmpl and on the highway the car barely manages to do 15.5 KMPL. Both with a light foot. The worst my car has seen in 6.2 kmpl with agressive driving in the city and 12 kmpl on the highway. My brother as soon as he starts driving his car hard, the FE drops to below 7 on the highway

I guess Hyundai diesels just aren’t made to give respectable FE once you go heavy on the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Took delivery of my Verna today.
2. Brakes will need sometime getting used to. The pedal feedback is very different from what you have on a VW. Brakes do their job but the anchor drops only after the initial inch of pedal travel.
4. Rear Camera quality in the night is bad.

Upgrades done:
1. 4300k Osram HIDs in stock projectors
2. Debadged.
3. Tyres upgraded to Michelin P3ST 205/55 R16.

The brakes especially on the automatic aren’t adequate at slowing the car down from higher speeds quickly. I can understand what you’re saying as I myself upgraded from a Rapid TDI and heck is the brake pedal feedback crappy, it also feels spongy for the initial inch or so. However, in your case the better tyres should help. Also as for the reverse camera, there would be a blue transparent sticker type thing stuck on the lens. The quality is quite impressive IMO so that must be the reason for yours seeming bad.

PS- nice upgrades, thumbs up!

Last edited by navin : 26th November 2018 at 11:14. Reason: edited untiended profanity
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed