Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 21:27   #481
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I 100% agree with you. However, I was talking about purely the pricing aspect. Additional features adding up to the premium being charged was my question.
I think the pricing is justified. You can put a price on the 4 extra airbags. And there’s a lot more that you can’t fit afterwards like the upgraded instrument cluster the sunroof or the adjustable headrests. And you can never achieve an OEM finish with aftermarket parts.

Sure you can get a much better quality leather upholstery aftermarket. But it won’t have the side airbags or the ventilation.

Hyundai and other brands should make 6 airbags standard like Toyota did in the Yaris.
Old 19th December 2018, 23:24   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Honestly speaking, I'd pay that premium for those extra airbags over the SX variant. Safety is what matters for me. This was the main point for me while buying the Creta and had to convince hard to get the SX(O) over SX+. This is just my personal opinion, no offence to you, sir.
Nav-i-gator
I just bought SX O AT petrol for my wife and I feel that the O offers a lot more for extra 1.4L. Ventilated seats and 4 extra air bags are reason enough to switch to O.
Also why didnt u look at Siena Brown as its a nice new color.
Lucky for us that the dealer booking for exact variant got cancelled and i was able to get the car in 2 days with all the dec offers and a few freebies.
Did u also check if you are getting yr orange color after 2 months, they will charge you the prevailing price then

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 19th December 2018 at 23:26.
Old 20th December 2018, 14:21   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post
If the boot and/or bonnet is open, the Verna locks up softly

it opens up with the usual blare to inform everyone in the neighbourhood that you're leaving.
If the boot, bonnet or any door is open the car will lock silently. But the big question is, does that horn provide any value in terms of theft protection? I have seen many mentioning it is not safe to unplug it, but my experience is that it is just a horn to indicate door open/close and doesn't provide any hooter kind of functionality as in Maruti cars if there is forced entry. Can someone reconfirm this by opening the car using key after locking it with remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Do the existing owners of the new Verna feel the need for an upgrade of stock headlights? If yes, what are the options that do not void warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
I am thinking of upgrading my verna sx(o) diesel head light. Can you suggest the models that fits the existing projector that comes with the vehicle. I don't want to slit / cut any electrical and just want to replace the bulbs.
The headlight is adequate although I have seen many upgrading it in the quest of more brightness. A straight fit upgrade would be Philips Xterme Vision or Osram Night Breaker HB3 bulbs, but the increase in brightness is marginal. For more light, you can look at HID upgrade which if you do at Hyundai Service Center will retain your warranty but costs approx 12K while you can do it outside for half the price at the risk of fake warranty concerns by the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Wow, these figures beat even my Verna Diesel Manual. Maybe it's the Gurgaon drivers and their right foot It seems to be related to how the cars are driven, we both very carefully did the run-in, but we're both slightly aggressive WRT to our right foot, so maybe it's that.
After this post I thought to try and extract the best I could in Bangalore city and started using cruise control wherever possible and the mileage increased from 9 to 12 kmpl. To do that in city you need to let go of your ego and behave like monk behind the wheels while others overtake you at will. But my observation is that despite going seemingly slow, I have not lost much in terms of average speed or time to reach office daily.

This is my first car with cruise control, so while experimenting with it I also learned that by pushing and holding the stalk up/down you can increase/decrease speed of the car without using accelerator/brake.
X-Factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 16:01   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Nav-i-gator
I just bought SX O AT petrol for my wife and I feel that the O offers a lot more for extra 1.4L. Ventilated seats and 4 extra air bags are reason enough to switch to O.
Also why didnt u look at Siena Brown as its a nice new color.
Lucky for us that the dealer booking for exact variant got cancelled and i was able to get the car in 2 days with all the dec offers and a few freebies.
Did u also check if you are getting yr orange color after 2 months, they will charge you the prevailing price then
As the situation stands today, there is no color available except for Silver and white, both of which are absolutely a no-no, esp from wife. First I booked black, which got cancelled as some other dealership ordered half an hour before my booking was punched online (apparently there was only one black color car left at the factory). Then Orange as well, I was told factory has not accepted the booking for orange for December offer period.

Now, I am again on road, hunting from one dealership to another to check if any (ANY!) color is available other than white and silver. There is a red Verna (old SX trim) available at a dealer yard, which the dealer says is a March 2018 model. Currently contemplating whether to buy that or let go of the Verna car altogether for now.
Old 20th December 2018, 16:53   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrading my verna sx(o) diesel head light. Can you suggest the models that fits the existing projector that comes with the vehicle. I don't want to slit / cut any electrical and just want to replace the bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Upgrades done:
1. 4300k Osram HIDs in stock projectors

Any idea if this would affect warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Do the existing owners of the new Verna feel the need for an upgrade of stock headlights?

If yes, what are the options that do not void warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
It is my firm belief that one should go for a German only if he is going for the best engine of the lot, which in this case is the 1.5 TDI and not the MPI petrol engine. Yes, the maintenance will be a bit expensive at around 12-14k for the Vento(slightly cheaper for the Rapid), however you may be able to negate the maintenance cost a bit if you drive more than 15K every year, since VW/Skoda has a service interval of 1 year/15k kms.

Spare parts will be a bit expensive when compared to the competition. There is no going around that. However, VW has started to offer warranty upto 7 years now, thus negating the high spares part to some extent. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nty-india.html (Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India)

So basically if you don't mind going for a diesel, I'd suggest you to go for it over the Verna. The 1.5 TDI is a stonker of an engine and coupled with discounts, it should make for a great deal. The only remaining issue would be questionable A.S.S. especially w.r.t. Hyundai and Honda.

However, when it comes to petrol, it is better to stick to the Hyundai or the Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
If the boot, bonnet or any door is open the car will lock silently. But the big question is, does that horn provide any value in terms of theft protection? I have seen many mentioning it is not safe to unplug it, but my experience is that it is just a horn to indicate door open/close and doesn't provide any hooter kind of functionality as in Maruti cars if there is forced entry. Can someone reconfirm this by opening the car using key after locking it with remote?

The headlight is adequate although I have seen many upgrading it in the quest of more brightness. A straight fit upgrade would be Philips Xterme Vision or Osram Night Breaker HB3 bulbs, but the increase in brightness is marginal. For more light, you can look at HID upgrade which if you do at Hyundai Service Center will retain your warranty but costs approx 12K while you can do it outside for half the price at the risk of fake warranty concerns by the dealership.

As long as the wires are not cut, there would be no warranty issues. I upgraded to HIDs few days back and the service centre was okay with it, when it went for the first service.

For all the users wanting to upgrade the headlight bulbs the socket type is HB3. I had upgraded to Osram Xenarc 4300k HIDs but the right side HID stopped working, so for the time being i am using Philips crystal vision. HIDs definitely are brighter and make things much more visible but the throw area remains the same.

@AYP: Having owned both Vento 1.6TDi and now the Verna 1.6 Crdi AT, i am sure the Hyundai diesel is the pick of the lot when it comes to power and refinement. Where the VW diesel trumps the Hyundai is the in gear acceleration. I would say from 80-110 the Tdi feels much much quicker. Refinement is one area where TDi mills don't even compete. Verna is so much quieter than even our Jetta TDi.

@X-Factor: The beep accompanied by the locking and unlocking of the car is indeed the theft alarm alert as well. So in case anyone thinks of removing the beep, say goodbye to the theft alarm. All one needs to do is sit inside the car and then lock it with the remote. Now open any door and you can hear the theft alarm working all the way to glory. Tried, tested and now reporting.

Also sharing this for everyone, Hyundai has not yet implemented the mandatory speed alert for 80 and 120 kmph in the Verna. My car is november manufactured SX(O) Crdi AT and i am glad i do not have to listen to an irritating beep on a car which does 70kms of highway drives daily.

Last edited by ramneek009 : 20th December 2018 at 16:54.
ramneek009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 17:01   #486
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
@AYP: Having owned both Vento 1.6TDi and now the Verna 1.6 Crdi AT, i am sure the Hyundai diesel is the pick of the lot when it comes to power and refinement. Where the VW diesel trumps the Hyundai is the in gear acceleration. I would say from 80-110 the Tdi feels much much quicker. Refinement is one area where TDi mills don't even compete. Verna is so much quieter than even our Jetta TDi.
Looks like the one thing we both agree upon is that the Verna and the Vento diesels are the pick of the lot. However, I would pick the 1.5 TDi over the Verna CRDi. I agree about the refinement part though. Our Jetta reminds me of a truck from outside. A truck with a very sporty and likeable engine note.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 22:44   #487
BHPian

Quote:
As the situation stands today, there is no color available except for Silver and white, both of which are absolutely a no-no, esp from wife. First I booked black, which got cancelled as some other dealership ordered half an hour before my booking was punched online (apparently there was only one black color car left at the factory). Then Orange as well, I was told factory has not accepted the booking for orange for December offer period.

Now, I am again on road, hunting from one dealership to another to check if any (ANY!) color is available other than white and silver. There is a red Verna (old SX trim) available at a dealer yard, which the dealer says is a March 2018 model. Currently contemplating whether to buy that or let go of the Verna car altogether for now.
Try Himgiri on golf course road as well as sound off all the dealers for any cancellations or denial of loan case for your choice of color.
I dont recommend to drop as the Car is extremely good. Keep on trying and also dont take the march model.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 20th December 2018 at 22:47.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 08:42   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
I had upgraded to Osram Xenarc 4300k HIDs but the right side HID stopped working
How much was the cost including installation? Although I am tempted, I am worried about the longevity of HIDs and your experience makes it worse.

Quote:
@AYP: Having owned both Vento 1.6TDi and now the Verna 1.6 Crdi AT, i am sure the Hyundai diesel is the pick of the lot when it comes to power and refinement. Where the VW diesel trumps the Hyundai is the in gear acceleration.
I can't agree more. I am getting almost equal performance from a stock Verna 1.6D AT compared to my remapped Rapid 1.6 TDi MT. I have not tested a Verna 1.6D MT, so wondering how the in-gear acceleration compares with TDi. The single major gripe I have about Verna is the space at the rear compared to Rapid or any other cars in the segment.

Quote:
@X-Factor: The beep accompanied by the locking and unlocking of the car is indeed the theft alarm alert as well. So in case anyone thinks of removing the beep, say goodbye to the theft alarm. All one needs to do is sit inside the car and then lock it with the remote. Now open any door and you can hear the theft alarm working all the way to glory. Tried, tested and now reporting.
Thanks for checking this, I have only tried the way I mentioned before which works in Maruti cars which also means Maruti's theft alarm has an additional theft detection parameter.

Quote:
Try Himgiri on golf course road as well as sound off all the dealers for any cancellations or denial of loan case for your choice of color.
Quote:
Orange was available on order, but booking amount of 2 lakhs (non-refundable) has to be given. With no choice left, I transferred the booking amount.
Agree with Sharad, seems to be a high handedness from dealerships with respect to your choice of colour and booking amount. The ask for a high booking amount while the car barely manages to sell 3K per month is also baffling. I am not sure if it has something to do with the so-called offer period, but you should write to Hyundai about this.

Quote:
I was wondering, with the New SX trim in place, is the difference between SX(O) and SX worth the price difference of 1.66Lakhs anymore? You get 4 additional airbags, rear manual curtain, ventillated seats, leather seats with rear seat adjustable headrests though. Still, the premium looks steep (from purely pricing perspective).
I am with you on this from a pure pricing perspective without going into the debate of 6 vs 2 airbag. All other features mentioned is not a necessity and the leather seat colour combination looks distasteful to me.
X-Factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 11:34   #489
BHPian

Quote:
I dont recommend to drop as the Car is extremely good. Keep on trying and also dont take the march model.
I tried all the dealers in Gurgaon, plus some in Delhi as well - same standard answers "sir, we only have white and silver". I used to think that people are conservative in their choice of colors as mostly we see only white and silver color cars on our roads. It now feels like it is a somewhat forced choice.

A person like me who absolutely hates dull colors esp. in cars which otherwise have a lot of character, like verna, may end up buying a car that I love in a color that I hate.

I'm somehow not been able to come to terms with this dilemma. It doesn't feel a sensible decision to reject a car that you like on color basis, but then- you don't buy a car everyday. The car I own, is always a part of our life, our family. Our memories get attached to the car - numerous road trips together, car at the background of our photographs...

I'm more disturbed right now, rather than feeling excited about new car buying. May end up not buying any car.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:38   #490
BANNED

Quote:

A person like me who absolutely hates dull colors esp. in cars which otherwise have a lot of character, like verna, may end up buying a car that I love in a color that I hate.

I'm more disturbed right now, rather than feeling excited about new car buying. May end up not buying any car.
I agree with you, do not settle for a color which is forced upon you. After buying the car, you may end up seeing the car in the color you love on roads, and would eventually lose in thoughts 'I could have waited some more time'.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:47   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
How much was the cost including installation? Although I am tempted, I am worried about the longevity of HIDs and your experience makes it worse.

I can't agree more. I am getting almost equal performance from a stock Verna 1.6D AT compared to my remapped Rapid 1.6 TDi MT. I have not tested a Verna 1.6D MT, so wondering how the in-gear acceleration compares with TDi. The single major gripe I have about Verna is the space at the rear compared to Rapid or any other cars in the segment.
I paid 7k for the HIDs including installation. Longevity should not be a concern with a genuine product as i have used HIDs in other cars with projector setups as well. Please go ahead if you wish to install them. Mine should be a one off case and the product is being replaced by the dealer. I am just waiting for his stock of 4300k to arrive so i can switch back to them.

Agree with you on the rear space part. It is bad. I am 5'10 and with driver seat adjusted to my preference, i barely have an inch of clearance if i try to sit at the back. Moreover, the seat backs are hard plastics in case of SX(O) which can hurt if you are trying to quickly enter the car.

Quote:
I tried all the dealers in Gurgaon, plus some in Delhi as well - same standard answers "sir, we only have white and silver". I used to think that people are conservative in their choice of colors as mostly we see only white and silver color cars on our roads. It now feels like it is a somewhat forced choice.

I'm somehow not been able to come to terms with this dilemma. It doesn't feel a sensible decision to reject a car that you like on color basis, but then- you don't buy a car everyday. The car I own, is always a part of our life, our family. Our memories get attached to the car - numerous road trips together, car at the background of our photographs...

@ Nav-i-gator: I am sending you my contact details on PM, please get in touch as i might be able to help you with the car in NCR.
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:31   #492
Senior - BHPian

Adding after market pedal shifters on an automatic

Hey Folks, I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is an avid Tbhp follower but a non member. He has the latest generation petrol automatic Verna and likes using it in manual mode. He is wondering if its possible to include paddle shifters on the Hyundai. So far search doesn't reveal its being sold by hyundai in any other country so it will be a completely after market thing mod.

Looking to get some ideas from the members on how it can be achieved. One idea he has is to buy Honda Civic paddles and include some how, but wiring etc needs to be figured out. Please give your inputs.

Mods, didn't find something else relevant on this topic. Please merge if present.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2018 at 07:34. Reason: typo
Old 22nd December 2018, 03:33   #493
BHPian

Re: Adding after market pedal shifters on an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Looking to get some ideas from the members on how it can be achieved.
There are no aftermarket pedal shifters that can fit or a steering that can fit the verna so the civic mod is out of question too

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2018 at 07:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:05   #494
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Nav-i-gator
I just bought SX O AT petrol for my wife

I am looking for Verna and may end up booking SX D in next 1-2 days.

Can you suggest what offers you are getting as part of your deal?
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:36   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I am looking for Verna and may end up booking SX D in next 1-2 days.

Can you suggest what offers you are getting as part of your deal?
There is a standard 50k discount which is corporate discount and.exchange bonus. Plus get insurance on your own. Further more u can stretch depending on if the car is in stock with the dealer or in the factory. All should total more than a lakh at least.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed