Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 09:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
One question:
I saw that the fuse box covers have information written in English and Arabic. Any reason why they have chosen Arabic?
This is because Verna has already received and started export of Verna to Middle east as mentioned in the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Our monthly sales charts show that it has narrowly outsold the City and Ciaz in October. The car also bagged an initial export order of 10,501 units from the Middle East.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 09:17   #47
BHPian

What a great and detailed review Aditya, kudos.
Nothing less is expected on TBhp. Rated 5 stars.

As an owner of the previous generation Verna 4S Petrol, this review and thread is of particular importance to me.

Hyundai definitely have upped the game in the C2 segment.
The looks, the features, the sorted handling, the prices, everything seems to be spot on.

A couple of things which totally stand out for me are:
-The cooled seats. Superb feature to have at your disposal.
-6 speed gearbox (MT) on the petrol engine also. Well done Hyundai.
-The coupe like silhouette, drool worthy especially in some of the colors offered.
-Doesn't feel flimsy and light built like the City and Ciaz. No weight reduction therapy applied by Hyundai just for the sake of higher F.E. numbers. The chart showing the weights of all the C2 segment cars reaffirms that the Verna is solidly built.

Misses from Hyundai:
-Top spec diesel AT variant. Possibly skipped to keep the sticker price in check, but they should have offered it.
-More legroom at the rear.
-All discs (at least on the top end variant).

Things which I found better in previous generation:
-The diamond cut alloys looked better. The new ones are similar (same?) as those on the Creta.
-Beige interiors felt better compared to the dual tone ones in the new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBa View Post
Only if Verna's petrol was as rev-friendly as the City's or the City's cabin as plush as the Verna's..Sigh!

I guess City it is still as far as Petrol's are concerned (negotiating hard with the dealers..may write a cheque this week ).

Hello MacBa,

As an owner of the VTVT Verna 4S 2015, let me assure you that if the only reason why you are not going for the Verna petrol is because the City's petrol is more rev-friendly, then you are mistaken my friend.
The City's VTec definitely sings and smiles at the higher RPMs, no denying that, but that doesn't mean the VTVT is not a good engine.

Please think how many times are you going to red-line the engine?
(I haven't crossed 5000RPM in my 22000Kms journey, this is a commuter car, not a race car).

Now think, how many times will you be cruising on a highway at 110-120Kmph? Would you not prefer a 6th gear while cruising at these highway speeds?

The VTVT is a reliable and smooth engine which has loads of power available throughout the rev range. 35Kmph in 4th gear, flyover approaching, you just need to dab the accelerator and the car moves ahead. The drive-ability is superb.

Also, if you are in the driving seat, the ventilated seats are going to be a bliss (I see you are from Delhi, all the more reason to have them).

The only person whom I would not recommend the Verna (petrol or diesel) to is the person whose top priority is Back Seat comfort.
In this department, the Ciaz and City blow the Verna away.

But in the end, it is your call.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 4th December 2017 at 09:31.
drive2eternity is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:25   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
The brake pedal feel and response is something that I dislike a lot, especially in comparison to my Rapid, the pedal feels as if it has reached its limit right from the start and provides absolutely zero feel, where my Rapid provides great feel and you know exactly how much you have to press the pedal to come to a stop. The performance of the brakes is on par though
The progressive brake feel is something that could definitely be improved, but as you mentioned, the braking as such is right on par.

Jeep Compass is rated as having fantastic brakes, even on the team-bhp review. If you see ACI's road test of Jeep compass, the figures are:

80 - 0 kph - 29.19m, 2.90s

If you see ACI's road test of Verna, the figures are:

80 - 0 kph - 25.29m, 2.26s

While the exact numbers could be debatable, the Verna seems to be leagues ahead here. I think it's also a matter of getting used to the pedal modulation. Ofcourse, 80kmph may also be too low to actually do a benchmark comparison.

Last edited by PearlJam : 4th December 2017 at 10:26.
PearlJam is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:44   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Quite a few YouTube reviewers praised the new verna for its handling and steering response. Some even told that its now the 'Best' in the segment
The Verna is definitely sorted, very neutral and no owner will complain. But it's not the 'segment best'. A steering that isn't high on feedback, a brake pedal that has inconsistent feel & bite and a petrol engine that isn't as revv-happy as the City / Vento TSI. While the handling & behaviour are very clean, it's not a corner-carving tool either.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Verna is definitely sorted, very neutral and no owner will complain. But it's not the 'segment best'. A steering that isn't high on feedback, a brake pedal that has inconsistent feel & bite and a petrol engine that isn't as revv-happy as the City / Vento TSI. While the handling & behaviour are very clean, it's not a corner-carving tool either.
One important place where the Verna falls short is seat comfort, especially rear bench, petrol engine mileage and power delivery.
Old 4th December 2017, 13:08   #51
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A steering that isn't high on feedback, a brake pedal that has inconsistent feel & bite.
Sir, do you feel that these are severe issues, something like the Swift's brake booster problems or the likes ? I am asking because I have recommended the diesel Verna to a colleague and don't want him to get stuck with a bitter experience, it's his first car. He will be doing a lot of highway runs and brakes/steering will be of utmost importance in his case.

On a side note, I came across two Vernas with frontal damage; one red/orange Verna on the forum, don't remember which thread and another one(brown) on the highway with a hanging front bumper and broken headlight. After reading this thread and the comments on the brakes, I hope that the brake system of the Verna is not causing these accidents.

This issue is now stuck in my head as the review, owners and you, all have mentioned the same thing. Should I ask him to look elsewhere and forget this car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
you are not going for the Verna petrol is because the City's petrol is more rev-friendly, then you are mistaken my friend.

Please think how many times are you going to red-line the engine?
(I haven't crossed 5000RPM in my 22000Kms journey, this is a commuter car, not a race car).
Rev-friendly iVtec engine doesn't mean that you have to redline the car everytime to experience it's engine's nature.

Redlining the iVtec gets you the manic top-end rush of that engine, but the free revving nature is going to be the same throughout the rev band, that is why it is revv friendly. Both are different feelings which cannot be really explained in words.

Last edited by OSH : 4th December 2017 at 13:28.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
One important place where the Verna falls short is seat comfort, especially rear bench, petrol engine mileage and power delivery.
As per the ARAI, difference in mileage figures for both City and Verna petrol manual is negligible. Yes, the City has a clear mileage advantage when it comes to automatics. But then the CVT are known to be more efficient as compared to the regular auto boxes.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th December 2017 at 15:24.
Old 4th December 2017, 16:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
As per the ARAI, difference in mileage figures for both City and Verna petrol manual is negligible. Yes, the City has a clear mileage advantage when it comes to automatics. But then the CVT are known to be more efficient as compared to the regular auto boxes.
Don't go by ARAI figures the Verna can never deliver the mileage (and performance) the City does. I did the TD of the '16 Verna (last gen) and '17 City back to back and they are as different as chalk and cheese, inside out. Before I chose the City. I have owned only Hyundai's for the last 18 years.
Old 4th December 2017, 16:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
The progressive brake feel is something that could definitely be improved, but as you mentioned, the braking as such is right on par.

Jeep Compass is rated as having fantastic brakes, even on the team-bhp review. If you see ACI's road test of Jeep compass, the figures are:

80 - 0 kph - 29.19m, 2.90s

If you see ACI's road test of Verna, the figures are:

80 - 0 kph - 25.29m, 2.26s

While the exact numbers could be debatable, the Verna seems to be leagues ahead here. I think it's also a matter of getting used to the pedal modulation. Ofcourse, 80kmph may also be too low to actually do a benchmark comparison.
These figures definitely look good, but as such, the pedal feel and the confidence provided by the Jeep's brakes is fantastic. Also, do not forget to count in the approx 300 kilo weight disadvantage to the Compass. But still I agree, it's only a matter of time before one gets used to the pedal modulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Sir, do you feel that these are severe issues, something like the Swift's brake booster problems or the likes ? I am asking because I have recommended the diesel Verna to a colleague and don't want him to get stuck with a bitter experience, it's his first car. He will be doing a lot of highway runs and brakes/steering will be of utmost importance in his case.
No, definitely not. Our complaints are primarily for the pedal feel and feedback. The performance of the brakes doesn't leave much to be desired and is on par. A nice recommendation made by you

Last edited by CarLoverJosh : 4th December 2017 at 16:32.
Old 4th December 2017, 19:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't go by ARAI figures the Verna can never deliver the mileage (and performance) the City does. I did the TD of the '16 Verna (last gen) and '17 City back to back and they are as different as chalk and cheese, inside out. Before I chose the City. I have owned only Hyundai's for the last 18 years.
2016 Verna is a totally different car as compared to the 2017 Verna. So I don't think its a fair comparison. Besides the new Verna comes with a 6 speed gearbox that will definitely aid in better mileage figures.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 21:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Also, do not forget to count in the approx 300 kilo weight disadvantage to the Compass.
How does that matter? Braking systems are designed taking that additional weight into account.
Old 4th December 2017, 22:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Owning a petrol Verna SX since Sep. Best mileage got was 17kmpl using tank full method. My observation is that the mid shows 0.6 - 0.7 above the actual mileage.
lightpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 23:57   #58
BHPian

Here's a video of all the features of Autolink in the words of a Hyundai employee. I was curious to know whether Hyundai sells it as an accessory to fit in the SX & lower variants. As per the Hyundai representative, they are not providing it as an accessory. I wish they did, like Honda, as it looks quite useful.

Old 5th December 2017, 00:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Aditya and Team !
Exceptional report capturing everything in detail.

With the new Verna, Hyundai is slowly getting the handling part sorted for their cars.
It's not a boat anymore and I feel with the next gen i20 they are going to get even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Ugh, no wheel well cladding at the rear! We didn't expect Hyundai to indulge in such cost-cutting exercises:
The felt type wheel well cladding is a soft material embedded to the wheel well metal base. It helps in absorbing the sound from stone hits, water splash and other miscellaneous sounds. The rear wheel is closer to the cabin so they have given it for the rear wheels only.

This is better than the plastic and someone has thought about a better material for the job. IMHO, its not a downgrade.
kpzen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 07:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Owning a petrol Verna SX since Sep. Best mileage got was 17kmpl using tank full method. My observation is that the mid shows 0.6 - 0.7 above the actual mileage.
Where did you get your figures from the ARAI track?! The ARAI figures for petrol manual Verna is 17.7 kmpl. The difference between ARAI and real world is 20-25%! So you've had your car since Sept and haven't A/C at all?? Come on! I'd take that figure with a ton of salt!

Here's a link to how ARAI arrives at its mileage figures: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ncy-tests.html

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th December 2017 at 07:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks