Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 19:04   #661
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Hey guys, need a small update.
Can anyone owning a SX(O) 1.6Diesel manual confirm if the gear shift indicator works only for upshifts or does it also suggest downshifts too? I have noticed only upshift indication and very very rarely the downshift indication that too comes n goes off in a flash in a hard braking situation.
Service centre people are too badly educated to work on it.
Old 13th April 2019, 22:42   #662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
Can anyone owning an SX(O) 1.6Diesel manual confirm if the gear shift indicator works only for upshifts or does it also suggest downshifts too?
I own a Creta 1.6L CRDi SX(O) and have noticed the MID suggest downshifts too. The frequency of suggestions and duration is too small to get noticed.

The downshifting suggestion appears when the RPM in any gear is near idling - I mean if it falls below 1000 and starts stalling.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 23:23   #663
BHPian

I deliberately tried to stall the engine driving up the slope at speeds less than 10kmph in gear 3 & 4. I could end up stalling the engine but the gearshift indicator on MID dint come up.
Old 13th April 2019, 23:52   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone owning a SX(O) 1.6Diesel manual confirm if the gear shift indicator works only for upshifts or does it also suggest downshifts too? I have noticed only upshift indication and very very rarely the downshift indication that too comes n goes off in a flash in a hard braking situation.
My CRDI SX suggests both upshifts & downshifts.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:25   #665
BANNED

Quote:
Strictly off topic. If I may ask, is this upshift/downshift indicator ever needed for someone who knows how to drive a MT? I feel it is actually a gimmick just to add one more point in the features list. And if someone actually needs it to drive a MT, then I think he/she would’ve better off with an AT.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:02   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Strictly off topic. If I may ask, is this upshift/downshift indicator ever needed for someone who knows how to drive a MT? I feel it is actually a gimmick just to add one more point in the features list. And if someone actually needs it to drive a MT, then I think he/she would’ve better off with an AT.
One may be well versed while driving a manual car but it can happen one may give their car to their near and dear ones who are new to driving a MT. It might help them while understanding when to upshift or downshift as they learn to drive.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 14th April 2019 at 10:19.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:24   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Right sir. My question in this context was to verify if the said feature was working properly or not, just to make sure that there's no other related electrical/electronic issue in car ECU/OBD/MID path.

And speaking of whether it's required or not, no harm in having it. Definitely some beginners might find it useful. I've seen many beginners just follow blind rules of shifting up at certain RPM irrespective of engine state. Or some might even think its cool. What purpose does a LED strip across the dash or along the door pad solve, nothing but aesthetics and as a so called 'feature'. In their defence, the companies could quote 'mood lighting' or soft lighting helps the ambience which in turn could help in calming down the drivers mind or someother theory they can come up with.

There are many things in modern day cars which are not 'essentials' but trickle down as 'features'. Some find it cool, some helpful and a few who don't bother. Mass market vehicles cater a wide range of people and that's the game they play. Ofcourse there is much safety tech which is ignored by companies in India, but that's just pure market reflection I guess. How many care for all four disc brakes instead of a cool looking DRL? I guess very few and I wish I'm wrong.
nagateja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 13:37   #668
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
One may be well versed while driving a manual car but it can happen one may give their car to their near and dear ones who are new to driving a MT. It might help them while understanding when to upshift or downshift as they learn to drive.
I don’t think that is the actual use case while designing this particular feature. If some one is not well versed in driving he/she would be mostly concentrating more on road, gear lever for gear changes etc., and not be checking the MID for gear changes. I think you all can remember the days we started learning driving.

If the actual use case is as mentioned above, then there should have been an option to enable/disable ‘driving aid - gear shift indicator’, and the gear shift indications should be made through voice commands. When I test drive previous gen Hyundai i20, I tried driving based on the gear shift indicator and found it was tuned to maximise fuel efficiency which is making the engine work at very lower rpms.
Old 15th April 2019, 00:28   #669
BHPian

I tried to register the auto link with my car today and I keep getting a "registration error" repeatedly on the hyundai auto link app. The module gets discovered and the chassis number is identified correctly but the final registration fails. Does anyone have a similar experience, if so any suggested workaround fixes for this ?
Old 17th April 2019, 00:39   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Congrats! What about EGR? Soft deleted?
I was contemplating on an ECU remap for quite some time, but waiting for that impulse to make the final decision!

And the typical Indian car user's question: Has the FE figures dropped to single digits?
Hi clevermax! Yes, I just got the EGR soft delete done today. The FE has taken a hit when you're driving pedal to the medal, it easily drops down to 8/9 kmpl. But with a sedate driving style, it's reduced by 1 kmpl or so, and while cruising it's become better by 2 kmpl or so as well. The car has become pretty effortless to drive and you don't need a downshift to overtake someone until it absolutely needs to be done immediately.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 18:50   #671
BANNED

Any new Verna owner who has covered around 40,000kms comment on the overall reliability of the car. Please include rattles, niggles, service experience etc.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:19   #672
BHPian

My 1.6 CRDI MT SX(O) has returned 18.4 km/L in the first full tank. From auto-cut to auto-cut on normal diesel. My running has been 40% on highway-like conditions and 60% in the city. This is with AC on all the time.

What bothers me is that the set trip meter gets discontinued everytime, if I start the car after a few hours of break. Is there a way to set the trip meter and retain its readings till the trip is over, over, say two days or so?
Old 20th April 2019, 11:06   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post

What bothers me is that the set trip meter gets discontinued everytime, if I start the car after a few hours of break. Is there a way to set the trip meter and retain its readings till the trip is over, over, say two days or so?
There is some fault in your car, it seems .Trip meter in my car never resets automatically. Its always manually done by me. The only MID data that auto resets is average FE figure, after filling up of fuel. As far as I remember from manual, it happens if refuelling is done for 6 lit or more.
Old 20th April 2019, 12:03   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good question, but it is useful for newbies. In my case, i drove cars that did not even have a tacho, and I am used to upshifting based on the engine sound. In the case of Hyundai Verna and Creta diesel, the upshift indicator flashes at 2000 rpm. In my opinion, that is too soon, and is more tuned towards FE. I love shifting at around 2500 rpm, just to get the turbo kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
You are looking at the wrong trip meter. The one you are looking at indicates how many kms you drove and how much time the engine was on from the first start in the day. However, it resets to zero after a gap of 4 hours when the engine is switched off.

The other trip meter pops up when you press the top right button on the steering wheel downwards---it shows the speed in digital form, and one more press will get you to the trip meter you want. We usually reset that when tanking up. We found a variance of around 1 kmpl from the FE indicator and the real time FE.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 12:18   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Lighting upgrade

1) 35W Osram HIDs for the headlights

2) DAPS LED lights for the fog lights
Can you share links for both of the mods. I would like to get it done too.

Most Viewed