Team-BHP - Hyundai Verna : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Hyundai Verna : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/192984-hyundai-verna-official-review-51.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 4626210)
I suggest you don't downgrade. I went from a Civic to a Verna. Was not happy with the Verna with respect to space and few other things. Suggest you move on to a comparable D segment car or as the current trend is go for the various SUV type vehicles. Verna is definitely cramped at rear. I would keep elbowing my co-passenger while driving the car something which would not happen in the Civic. Look at the Creta/Kios/Hector/Harrier maybe but downgrading would be like taking a step back. Anyways this is just what I feel, you may think differently :).

You are very right. This is why the Verna is a fallback option only in case Kia doesn't price the Seltos well. I have a budget of 15-16 lakhs and that can't get me a D segment sedan at all. (I paid 18.3 lacs for a decently equipped Jetta Comfortline TDI 4 years back!). Can't go for pre-owned as my dad hates the idea. Here is the shortlist (in order of pertinence) which might help those who are shopping in this segment:

Kia Seltos 1.4 DCT: Will book it eyes closed if priced below or around 15-16 lakhs OTR. No questions whatsoever about it.

Kia Seltos 1.5 CVT: Fallback option incase 1.4 turbo petrol is priced out of reach.

Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT AT: Will be close between Seltos 1.5 CVT and Verna if Kia doesn't price the DCT within reach. Keeping fingers crossed. All depends on how good or bad the CVT is. If it is unbearable, Verna 1.6 VTVT AT.

Honda City: Last option and don't really like it. Have a 3rd gen in the family and frankly, the 4th gen is a step down as compared to the previous generation. CVT is also not the best AT out there although it might suit my dad's moderate driving style.

Volkswagen Vento TSI AT: Wanted to stay in the VW family but the frequent cost cutting and cheapening of suspension bits with the DSG horrors mean i have dropped the option completely. The Jetta has built a very good image of VW atleast in the nuclear family,and has been fairly reliable too. I don't want the Vento to ruin that respect I have. No offence to owners. I would have bought a Vento and upgraded to Sachs suspension but its my dad's decision and he loves keeping cars stock.

If someone can suggest any other option, would surely consider it. Not keen on the Ecosport after deletion of SYNC 3, else it would have been parked in my garage right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBrad (Post 4626232)
Not a Verna owner, but have you considered Elantra? Isn't it a better option considering the engine is a 2L one and the car is also a D segment one. Also I guess it would be having better offers than Verna.

Thanks for the suggestion. But 15-16 lakhs will get me an Elantra SX at best and that car is too barebones. I need the car to have 6 airbags and ESP as a compulsion. Not going to downgrade on the safety aspect, come what may.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishy76 (Post 4626200)
Have shortlisted the Verna and Kia Seltos currently. Primary choice is the Kia, but fallback option is the Verna.

Not a Verna owner, but have you considered Elantra? Isn't it a better option considering the engine is a 2L one and the car is also a D segment one. Also I guess it would be having better offers than Verna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishy76 (Post 4626200)
- Is the VTVT available in the fully loaded SX(O) variant with the ventilated seats and curtain airbags? Haven't got much clarity about this based on the limited research so I thought it would be better to ask here

- How is the 1.6 petrol + AT combo from an owners perspective? I know it won't be as good as the Jetta in any way, but still, how good is the refinement especially in the mid range?

Yeah...petrol variant/vtvt is available all across the range. Head here to see engine options and variant mapping:
https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a-car/verna/features

As for the petrol AT, you are very right. I have had the Verna Petrol AT since it's launch in 2017 and I fondly remember the DSG I tested on VWs during the research period for the same. It's nowhere near the feeling or the performance.
Nevertheless, if you are not doing spirited driving, the Verna AT is comfortable enough and does the job pretty well in my opinion. Though in the city it makes you feel lacking when trying to execute a super-quick overtake, but other than that and on the highways you can easily wave the other cars good bye in your rear-view mirror. There are no jerks and you can have the feeling of a true executive sedan floating around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishy76 (Post 4626229)
..I have a budget of 15-16 lakhs ..

I assume that you do not like Creta? Else, at this budget it is a decent choice and has better rear room. Kia is considered premium when compared to Hyundai in general - let's see how it plays out in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somspaple (Post 4626542)
Kia is considered premium when compared to Hyundai in general - let's see how it plays out in India.

"in general" Absolutely untrue.
In India, its the Kia thats considered premium.
In EU and USA, its the H badge that carries a premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simeonovitch (Post 4626548)
"in general" Absolutely untrue.
In India, its the Kia thats considered premium.
In EU and USA, its the H badge that carries a premium.

Now that i read through many other posts online on the topic , you're indeed right. In general it's Hyundai that's considered premium!

Is there any liklihood of the Verna Hatchback being launched in India?

Hi All,

My verna is due for 30kms service (car is around 18 months old). I will be getting the car for service sometime this week, just want to check with you all if there were any update for the Map and Player Application version. The version that I have are,

Map:
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20190729_080345.jpg

Player Application Version:
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20190729_080037.jpg

Dear Bhpian's

My 7 years old Punto diesel is showing its age and making frequent visit to service centers and hence forced to change the car. I'm looking at Hyundai Verna 1.6 petrol SX trim.

It will be really helpful if you guys can help me to know real world mileage of 1.6 petrol. My daily commute will be within 30 KMS and 100% city driving with moderate traffic.

I can live with a mileage of 11 to 12 KMPL. Also, if possible kindly let me know about the average service costs of 1.6 petrol.

I also read about defective verna's here, is it safe to buy a verna now?

Thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridharj (Post 4629467)

It will be really helpful if you guys can help me to know real world mileage of 1.6 petrol. My daily commute will be within 30 KMS and 100% city driving with moderate traffic.

I can live with a mileage of 11 to 12 KMPL. Also, if possible kindly let me know about the average service costs of 1.6 petrol.

Thanks in advance

It is really difficult to guesstimate the traffic conditions your car will be subject to. Also, the 11-12 kmpl seems highly optimistic. If your average speeds are in the range of 15-20 kms per hour then the car will deliver around 8 kmpl. The City CVT might give you a better mileage and it's got a lot more spacious rear seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiren.mistry (Post 4629678)
It is really difficult to guesstimate the traffic conditions your car will be subject to. Also, the 11-12 kmpl seems highly optimistic. If your average speeds are in the range of 15-20 kms per hour then the car will deliver around 8 kmpl. The City CVT might give you a better mileage and it's got a lot more spacious rear seat.

Thanks for the reply, I'm only looking at petrol manual. Does even the verna petrol 1.6 manual gives 8 KMPL?

Could you provide the current mileage that you are getting on your diesel car? That would help in understanding what "moderate" is.

From my personal experience of Fiat Linea t-jet to Verna diesel, 10-11 kmpl in Linea translated to 16-18 in Verna in the same traffic conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramradcliff (Post 4629915)

Could you provide the current mileage that you are getting on your diesel car? That would help in understanding what "moderate" is.

From my personal experience of Fiat Linea t-jet to Verna diesel, 10-11 kmpl in Linea translated to 16-18 in Verna in the same traffic conditions.

Hi,

I drive around 40 kms per day - 5 days a week in bangalore.
Traffic condition - moderate / heavy.

I have got mileage,

In city, ranging between 12 kmpl - 14.5 kmpl
In highway, ranging between 15 kmpl - 26 kmpl

My lowest mileage is 11.9 kmpl &
highest mileage is 26 kmpl.

All these mileage are measured between auto cut off - full tank.
All these details are calculated over 28,000 kms in last 19 months.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardilip (Post 4630030)
Hi,

In city, ranging between 12 kmpl - 14.5 kmpl

A petrol sedan giving this kind of mileage in moderate to heavy traffic is brilliant! Would you care to share your average speed as well of your daily commute?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspune (Post 4630057)
A petrol sedan giving this kind of mileage in moderate to heavy traffic is brilliant! Would you care to share your average speed as well of your daily commute?

I believe he is talking about a Diesel Verna. No day a Petrol Verna will give upwards of 12kmpl in the city and 16kmpl on the highway. Hyundai cars, both diesel and petrol are mostly the least fuel efficient cars in their segments.