Team-BHP - Hyundai Verna : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Hyundai Verna : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/192984-hyundai-verna-official-review-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathik (Post 4317717)
I was slightly disappointed when I learnt I couldn't upshift manually unless the RPM has crossed 1950-2000 mark. If the RPM is less than that, then it just ignores all upshift requests. I wish the tuning could be changed a bit as I usually am on the 3rd gear when I reach 29-30 kmph when driving a manual car.

Exactly my thoughts. I wish it was possible to tell the car that it should up-shift earlier in city traffic.

May be an 'eco' mode or something, which allowed a sedate shift pattern -

0 to 7 kmph - 1st
8 to 20 - 2nd
21 to 35 - 3rd
36 to 50 - 4th
51 to 70 - 5th
71 and up - 6th

Since it is a torque converter equipped AT, I am not sure about this pattern improving the FE. Shifting too early to a higher gear would not let the torque converter to engage the direct drive sooner, and it may spend more time working as a fluid coupling; thereby decreasing the efficiency. For an MT car, shifting sooner to a higher gear while driving sedately would surely improve FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 4317882)
I wish it was possible to tell the car that it should up-shift earlier in city traffic.

Is it really worth it?

The main advantage of getting an AT is convenience and the ease it offers, especially in traffic. So, better to leave it in D and let the power-train do its job right? :) Is a kilometer or two such a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Certainly not worth the extra stress on the driver or the car.

I would rather give it some time to settle down with more miles on the odometer. And also try urging the transmission to shift up by modulating the A pedal once the engine is at the correct temperature. I have noted that it works best than going all manual with a run-of-the-mill AT. :D

Btw, congratulations on the new Verna. Here in Kochi at least, I see a lot new cars. Looks like it has taken over as the market's favorite from the City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjayJohri (Post 4317709)
Good to see this. My Verna AT has done about 1500kms so far, and I get about 9-10kmpl in regular city driving. Goes up to about 13-14 during Sunday drives when the traffic is about 40% less.

Cruise control surely is the recipe to draw out the best mileage

I think once the engine runs 10,000 km or so, the mileage should improve ~2km/liter. That happened with my Ritz once it ran a few thousand km

I have a manual diesel SX(O) next gen Verna. I seem to get 11-12 in regular city driving, 15-16 during less traffic and highway driving mileage varies based on whether it has a ghat section.
Looks like the auto box gives ~1.5 - 2 km/liter less than the manual. For those looking for convenience, it is not such a big matter

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4318073)
Is it really worth it?
The main advantage of getting an AT is convenience and the ease it offers, especially in traffic. So, better to leave it in D and let the power-train do its job right? :)

Agree on this perspective. I didn't mean to use manual shifter to make this possible, but was wishing for a couple of driving modes within the 'D' mode to change the shift patterns depending where you are driving. Early shifts in slow city driving and more aggressive shifts during highway runs. Like the Honda City's 'ECO' button on the CVT variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4318073)
Btw, congratulations on the new Verna. Here in Kochi at least, I see a lot new cars. Looks like it has taken over as the market's favorite from the City.

Thanks! Here in Trivandrum it is comparatively less in numbers I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr (Post 4318156)
Looks like the auto box gives ~1.5 - 2 km/liter less than the manual. For those looking for convenience, it is not such a big matter

Last page of this thread I have posted my FE figures of my SX+ AT variant - consistently getting 13 kmpl in city + suburban roads with moderate to heavy traffic.

Much awaited review , nicely compiled Kudos.

Was wondering how the lights would be , but looking at those pictures the throw seems excellent. Missing under body cladding seems a miss in most new cars :Frustrati, don't know how the unclad portions under bonnet will behave. Have heard of stones propping up and doing some damage.

Is it possible to fit an underbody cladding after-market? Any good places like 3M that do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4316375)
Don't go by ARAI figures the Verna can never deliver the mileage (and performance) the City does. I did the TD of the '16 Verna (last gen) and '17 City back to back and they are as different as chalk and cheese, inside out. Before I chose the City. I have owned only Hyundai's for the last 18 years.

A bit off topic but I wanted to know how has your overall experience with Hyundai's all these years ? Were they reliable and gave any major issues or were they trouble free except for routine maintenance ?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 4320918)
A bit off topic but I wanted to know how has your overall experience with Hyundai's all these years ? Were they reliable and gave any major issues or were they trouble free except for routine maintenance ?

Thanks

My experience has been good. They have been reliable, low on maintainance and the company has been receptive to customer feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 (Post 4317715)
Very irritating and very loud so I got the service center to disable the beeping during lock/unlock. I think they disconnected a wire, not very sure about what they did. Much better now.

I think this is not a proper fix to the problem, as it will disable the security alarm as well. I am looking for a software based fix or even a juggad fix where wires to this speaker is connected via an additional switch installed in the dashboard.

Thats how its done!

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_3411.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive2eternity (Post 4316046)
Hello MacBa,

As an owner of the VTVT Verna 4S 2015, let me assure you that if the only reason why you are not going for the Verna petrol is because the City's petrol is more rev-friendly, then you are mistaken my friend.
The City's VTec definitely sings and smiles at the higher RPMs, no denying that, but that doesn't mean the VTVT is not a good engine.

Please think how many times are you going to red-line the engine?
(I haven't crossed 5000RPM in my 22000Kms journey, this is a commuter car, not a race car).

Now think, how many times will you be cruising on a highway at 110-120Kmph? Would you not prefer a 6th gear while cruising at these highway speeds?

The VTVT is a reliable and smooth engine which has loads of power available throughout the rev range. 35Kmph in 4th gear, flyover approaching, you just need to dab the accelerator and the car moves ahead. The drive-ability is superb.

Also, if you are in the driving seat, the ventilated seats are going to be a bliss (I see you are from Delhi, all the more reason to have them).

The only person whom I would not recommend the Verna (petrol or diesel) to is the person whose top priority is Back Seat comfort.
In this department, the Ciaz and City blow the Verna away.

But in the end, it is your call.

If I was looking for a diesel car, Verna was a no brainer.

The current gen Verna is huge improvement over the last one and I'm a big fan of that diesel motor. It is a well packaged product and yes, those cooling seats in Delhi summers are a big boon!

But since, I was looking for a petrol car, the City won our heart. My parents sat in the backseat and found it even more comfortable than the Ciaz.

Regarding the engine, as others have also pointed out, its more to do with the inherent nature of the engine and not only the redlining aspect of it. A famous personality had once said, speed is one thing but how you reach there is what matters. To this aspect, I don't think any of the NA engines in this segment can beat that Ivtec motor.

And yea..the car will primarily be owner driven on weekends so that takes care of the redlining part. stupid:

P.S: I don't intend to rubbish the VTVT motor. It is refined in its own sense and is far better than the VVT and MPI motors that Suzuki and VW/Skoda offer. Verna is a very good option for someone looking at an overall package.

Is it just me or does anyone else find the rear bumper of the 2014 Hyundai Verna to be much better looking than the one on the 2017 Hyundai Verna?
I don’t know why, but that black plastic on the bottom of the newer one just looks weird.

P.S - Has anyone gotten the stock reflectors replaced with aftermarket LED reflectors yet?

Test Drove the top of the line SX(O) Manual Diesel Verna in Nasik yesterday.

When I got inside the car, there was an instant sense of an upmarket feel, the steering and interiors felt plush.

Started the car and there was this diesel clatter which on a cold engine was heard, quite understandable though.

Took her out of the showroom parking and instantly the steering wheel lightness was felt and did it feel good or what. Short shifted to second gear as the road was empty and I was not expecting what came after, the Verna's Brochure which was kept on the dashboard instantly came flying on the front seat when the turbo kicked in, the kick was vicious, started at around 1700 rpm and there was no letting up in torque atleast until 3500 rpm after which I shifted to 3rd and then it went on, within no time I was doing around 100 and I did not even realise. The diesel Verna will be an amazing beast to drive on the highway is how I feel. The gearshifts are very precise and the clutch is very light, quite surprised at the lightness considering its a 128 bhp 26 kgm pumping diesel.

The handling was sure footed, it soaked the bumps quite well, my dad sitting behind loved how comfortable everything was.

They did not have the Automatic Diesel Verna for a test drive :(

Got back to my Swift Diesel after the test drive and having test driven the Verna Diesel, the turbo kick of the Swift felt like a weak meow for a few kilometres until the memories of the Verna's turbo kick were forgotten.

Just an observation though, correct me if I am wrong, I was following a new Verna on the highway in my Swift and it felt like I was looking down at the Verna from the drivers seat of the Swift, the Verna had 4 people in it and somehow felt it was quite lower to the ground when I looked at it from the seat, is that how it rolls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiyan (Post 4325387)
Thats how its done!

You hit 30 kmpl ? :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4328236)
Just an observation though, correct me if I am wrong, I was following a new Verna on the highway in my Swift and it felt like I was looking down at the Verna from the drivers seat of the Swift, the Verna had 4 people in it and somehow felt it was quite lower to the ground when I looked at it from the seat, is that how it rolls?

Yes. I felt it too when I compared it with my seating position in Ritz which for reference is slightly higher than the Swift.

That said, the Verna being a sedan does have a relatively lower seating position than a Maruti Wagon R/Swift/Ritz.