Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2017, 20:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am looking forward to seeing the C2-sedan war in our sales charts. Hyundai has thrown down the gauntlet with the 2017 Verna!
November 2017 sales
Ciaz : 4009
City : 3315

Both the cars are affected, I am sure Hyundai has good lead. They have even exported around 2000 Vernas last month to middle east.

http://www.businessworld.in/article/...2-2017-133440/

http://www.businessworld.in/article/...2-2017-133466/

http://m.businesstoday.in/story/car-.../1/265153.html

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st December 2017 at 20:43.
Old 1st December 2017, 21:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Very promising car!
Is it a worthy upgrade for Vento/Rapid/Fiesta owners in terms of driving experience? Or has the new Verna become more comparable rather than beat the competition?
Or am I asking too much from a gentleman's car?
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 22:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post

Feature set A

a) seats with good back and under thigh support
b) full underbody protection
c) full wheel cladding
d) 60:40 rear folding seats
e) Full size spare wheel
f) Fully adjustable steering wheel
g) all wheel disc brakes

I personally would anyday choose this over -
Feature set B
1) auto wipers
2) auto headlamps
3) DRLs
4) cruise control
5) auto folding mirrors
6) keyless go
7) the deluxe chrome package
In an ideal world, it is no competition really, A would win over B every single time. But the features in A are not something you can show your friends, your family and boast about while that in B are the tangibles with respect to the regular car buyer , so they would chose B over A. Case in point, I see so many WRVs with the sun roof, while I feel the EcoSport is a much better buy!! Most of the buyers do not care about all wheel discs, underbody protection, there is nothing glamorous about them!! So Hyundai has done the right thing as it is giving the customer what they want and not what they need.
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 08:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
But the features in A are not something you can show your friends, your family and boast about while that in B are the tangibles with respect to the regular car buyer
Well said Imagine telling a prospective customer who is complaining about the lack of DRLs and cruise control "Hey, you haven't seen the best part yet - go on, crawl under the car and check it out sir - full underbody protection!"
Lone Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:14   #35
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic and detailed review! I wonder if we can fit the new car's seat on the older model... I really need the seat height increaser. Lack of reach adjustment in the steering is a pretty shocking omission but everything else is pretty much fantastic. Also I must say I am not a fan of the front profile and don't like the headlight shape. I saw a new Verna yesterday and I have to admit it has a great road presence. It looks bigger than it should.
Karooo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:34   #36
BHPian

I have not had great respect for Hyundais until a few years ago. But the way they have upgraded their products and provide the best to the market is something commendable. I just love the cooled seats feature. If I'm not wrong, they're the ones who have brought the reverse camera to the mass cars, which every manufacturer is forced to provide in their line up.

Well deserved market share for Hyundai,as we see in monthly sales thread. The increased competition is only good for the end customer. With all this plus points, would I buy a Hyundai? Probably not, as driving dynamics top my chart for selecting a car. But How I wish other brands to pamper the customers the way Hyundai does! Matter of time I guess.
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:38   #37
BHPian

The Verna is an awesome car from the Hyundai stable. Have clocked 3200+ km on the same. Great features like cruise control, ventilated seats, sunroof etc. The engine inside it is a gem with great low end torque and amazing driveability.

All variants are value for money starting with EX. The SX(O) is the best of course
bhpfaninblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:57   #38
BHPian

Excellent review of an excellent car. Good to see Hyundai is not compromising on build quality to increase FE. The car looks fantabulous in all the colour options. Kudos to Hyundai for such a brilliant package at this price. Hope they don't start doing away with features an year or 2 later as seen with Elite i20.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:49   #39
BHPian

Finally the wait is over!! I was eagerly waiting to know the improvements done on driving dynamics and build quality of the new-gen verna. Hyundai really excels in making curvy and modern looking cars.
Which would be the better pick between the new Verna 1.6 sx(o) or a pre-owned Volvo S60 D3(2011-2013)?

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2017 at 10:41. Reason: typo
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review of a superb car. Thank you guys!!
Low seating and cramped rear (compared to the City and Ciaz) are the only issues with this car.
It's a pity that Hyundai could not carve more room out of the Verna considering that it's got an identical wheelbase as the Honda City. Rest of the car is simply brilliant. I have this car on my shortlist.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 14:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
Finally the wait is over!! I was eagerly waiting to know the improvements done on driving dynamics and build quality of the new-gen verna. Hyundai really excells in making curvy and modern looking cars.
Which would be the better pick between the new Verna 1.6 sx(o) or a pre-owned Volvo S60 D3(2011-2013)?
It is a no brainer. Has to be the verna

Volvo is a used car and could have a bunch of issued. Plus expensive spares
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:41   #42
BHPian

Excellent review for an excellent VFM C segment car.

Though I love Hyundai Fluidic designs during initial few months from the launch (This one is no exception), I feel they don't age gracefully. I really loved the previous gen Verna's fluidic design during its launch however after watching them for a few years, it doesn't please my eyes anymore. On the other hand, understated European cars age very gracefully.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 19:37   #43
BHPian

Amazing review as usual. Not to forget the attention to details.

I had almost written a cheque for the diesel SX near Diwali before being asked by the family to hold on. Guess what..preferences changed to petrol.

Only if Verna's petrol was as rev-friendly as the City's or the City's cabin as plush as the Verna's..Sigh!

I guess City it is still as far as Petrol's are concerned (negotiating hard with the dealers..may write a cheque this week ).
MacBa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 23:02   #44
BHPian

A brilliant review Aditya and Mobike800, rated 5 stars. I too am an owner of the New Gen Verna SX(O) Diesel and am happy with the car. It surely is great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Very promising car!
Is it a worthy upgrade for Vento/Rapid/Fiesta owners in terms of driving experience? Or has the new Verna become more comparable rather than beat the competition?
Or am I asking too much from a gentleman's car?
Hi Turbohead, I myself have upgraded to the Verna replacing my 2012 Skoda Rapid Ambition Diesel shod with Conti Comfort Contact tyres. The engine of my Rapid ( without software update ) definitely feels punchier in outright acceleration, whereas the Verna feels more linear in its acceleration but is definitely faster due to its superior power to weight and torque to weight ratio. The handling of Rapid definitely feels a notch up on the Verna as the body roll is more controlled and the tank like stability on high speeds. The Verna makes up for it in the form of ride quality, good stability ( a level lesser than the Rapid though ) and faster engine overall. The outright driving pleasure provided by a Rapid, Vento or a Fiesta, ( driven all 3 ) is definitely better as the handling and braking package of all the three cars is great along with the engines of Rapid and Vento ( The Fiesta's 1.5 Diesel 90 HP felt just adequate ) make a strong case for themselves. The new gen Verna's petrol engine is good (better than the 1.6 NA engine of Vento and Rapid though the 1.2 TSI is superior ) but the diesel engine is definitely better than VAG's 1.5 diesel which just doesn't feel as lively or responsive as the 1.6 CRDi of the Verna. The brake pedal feel and response is something that I dislike a lot, especially in comparison to my Rapid, the pedal feels as if it has reached its limit right from the start and provides absolutely zero feel, where my Rapid provides great feel and you know exactly how much you have to press the pedal to come to a stop. The performance of the brakes is on par though. This has to be the only big letdown in the driving package the Verna is, it surely isn't better than the Vento or Rapid or Fiesta but it slowly is catching up and provides nearly 90% of what these cars provide which is brilliant considering the target audience for Verna.

Last edited by CarLoverJosh : 3rd December 2017 at 23:02. Reason: Punctuation
CarLoverJosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 08:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Detailed report as expected out of a TBHP review.

Coming to the car, Good to see that there is some competition to City and Ciaz which are Less VFM IMO. This car will provide a stiff competition.

Automatic boot door, autolink are all very good additions to the features list. But I was shocked to see that even with so many features, it still misses out on essentials like auto wipers, reach adjustment etc. I'd rather have those instead of sun roof and navigation

I liked the sienna brown. I feel this will be the highest sold colour like the browns of city and ciaz. I like sloping rear designs but from the side-on, to be frank, this was not too impressive for me! I'm not sure how many will like it though.

One question:
I saw that the fuse box covers have information written in English and Arabic. Any reason why they have chosen Arabic?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th December 2017 at 08:48.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed