Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 10:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Where did you get your figures from the ARAI track?! The ARAI figures for petrol manual Verna is 17.7 kmpl. The difference between ARAI and real world is 20-25%! So you've had your car since Sept and haven't A/C at all?? Come on! I'd take that figure with a ton of salt!

Here's a link to how ARAI arrives at its mileage figures: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ncy-tests.html
Why do you find that so hard to believe? Given the right set of conditions any car will equal or surpass ARAI figures. I am currently driving a 2011 Honda City and I regularly get a mileage reading of 18.5 KMPL during my fortnightly trips to Pune from Bombay. I am sure these figures are easily over ARAI's estimate.

The same journey in a Maruti Dzire Petrol manual I easily get over 21 KMPL, so go figure. Since these are not my cars, I drive very sedately with speeds in the range of 100 KMPH.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 11:10   #62
BHPian

A bit OT, if H has a proven Diesel Auto, why arent they putting it in the i20? There is really no good Diesel automatic premium hatch out there.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
A bit OT, if H has a proven Diesel Auto, why arent they putting it in the i20? There is really no good Diesel automatic premium hatch out there.
I guess the new spy pics of i20 reveal an auto tranny on test.
Old 5th December 2017, 12:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post

No, definitely not. Our complaints are primarily for the pedal feel and feedback. The performance of the brakes doesn't leave much to be desired and is on par.
I own the Verna diesel SX(O) 2017 and the braking is very good and gives a lot of comfort. So braking is not an issue at all.

I think the Verna is the best C2 segment car today as an all-rounder. Only the Skoda Rapid can be considered to be par or better in terms of driver's car but the Verna gives 6 airbags, ventilated seats and is very feature rich compared to the Rapid
bhpfaninblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:36   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I guess the new spy pics of i20 reveal an auto tranny on test.
They're saying it's a petrol AT box, I hope it's a diesel.

I think the Verna before this then seems to be a reliable second hand buy for the auto box considering that it's not really had any reliability issues. Any idea at what price range I can get a well maintained second hand diesel auto Verna?
Old 5th December 2017, 14:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
As per the ARAI, difference in mileage figures for both City and Verna petrol manual is negligible. Yes, the City has a clear mileage advantage when it comes to automatics. But then the CVT are known to be more efficient as compared to the regular auto boxes.
Quote:
Don't go by ARAI figures the Verna can never deliver the mileage (and performance) the City does. I did the TD of the '16 Verna (last gen) and '17 City back to back and they are as different as chalk and cheese, inside out. Before I chose the City. I have owned only Hyundai's for the last 18 years.
Here's some real fuel efficiency data from my 2017 Verna SX+ AT Diesel. ~13 kmpl across last 4 full tank top-ups. This is the FE data collected from the date of purchase of this car.

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-screenshot_20171205135522.png

Driving conditions - Trivandrum. Less city and more suburban roads which includes NH66. Daily commute of 20 Kms, via NH66. There are some occasional highways trips thrown in. Mostly normal driving and I use cruise control wherever possible, in speeds which range from 35 kmph to 90 Kmph. In open roads, I drive in 6th gear whenever it is possible - AT shifts to 6th at about 76-78 kmph when not driven hard.

ARAI says 21.x Kmpl for the Diesel AT, but I am getting 13 kmpl consistently.

In city (bumper to bumper) conditions, one can expect 9-10 kmpl.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th December 2017 at 14:10.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have completed 2000 Kms in my new Verna SX+ AT - can't agree more with one of the observations - braking. It could have been better. My observation is that the 'bite' isn't really consistent from time to time.

Another drawback is the horn & the lock/unlock beeps - both sound too cheap, sounds almost like a scooter. They don't fit the character and the segment of this car.

With good handling characteristics and decent power, the AT is a joy to drive. Suspension & ride quality isn't very impressive. If I compare it with the Punto, it is inferior.
We booked the cars together and ended up getting it one week apart because it took me sometime to sell the Safari.

A friend picked up the new i20 and they too have this horn/beep issue. Its a real pain sometimes. Hope someone comes up with a solution because I want to upgrade the horn.

Quote:
Here's some real fuel efficiency data from my 2017 Verna SX+ AT Diesel.
Odo at 2500 or so.

Driving conditions - Trivandrum. More city and less suburban roads which includes NH66. Daily commute of 15 Kms, via NH66. Yet to do any highway trips and I don't use cruise control. I get around 10-11.5kmpl.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20171006_192107-large.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20171007_134207-large.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20171007_13422101-large.jpeg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20171007_134726-large.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Typos
jkdas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 16:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Other Points

Disclaimer : Hyundai invited Team-BHP for the Verna test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.
Team BHP, as ever maintains its level in reviewing cars. What a review. Very clear, comprehensive review supported by wonderful pictures. Thanks to the team.
Seran Manian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 21:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you get your figures from the ARAI track?! The ARAI figures for petrol manual Verna is 17.7 kmpl. The difference between ARAI and real world is 20-25%! So you've had your car since Sept and haven't A/C at all?? Come on! I'd take that figure with a ton of salt!

Here's a link to how ARAI arrives at its mileage figures: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ncy-tests.html
Running pattern is 95% highways. A/C is on for about 80% of the time. Trips have been Bangalore <--> Coimbatore, Bangalore <--> Chennai. This is what the car returned and am happy about it. May be other owners of petrol variant can post their figures.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:10   #70
BHPian

Excellent review. Being an owner of a Diesel EX AT Verna (in Siena Brown colour), I agree with all of the observations. I have done around 2500 kms so far in the 2 months that I have owned the car and it's a gem of a car to drive on highways! I am hoping to set aside some time for an ownership review in the next few weeks where I can share my observations in detail.

Quote:
Here's some real fuel efficiency data from my 2017 Verna SX+ AT Diesel. ~13 kmpl across last 4 full tank top-ups. This is the FE data collected from the date of purchase of this car.
From my experience, here are some numbers that one should expect on Diesel AT -

a. Bumper to Bumper traffic - 9 to 10 kmpl
b. Normal City driving (with 50% time in B2B traffic and remaining on normal roads) - 13 to 14 kmpl
c. Highway - Conservative driving can fetch you 18 to 20 kmpl. With cruise control on, you can expect even higher. The best I have done is 23 kmpl on a trip of around 140 kms including 30 kms of rural (but no traffic) roads and remaining 110 kms on highway where cruise control was on for nearly 80% of the time and AC on 100%.

I don't know if it's normal but if I find the mileage in B2B traffic is a bit on the lower side especially when compared to what can be achieved on highway. Maybe the idle fuel consumption is too high? In any case, I am not complaining because the sheer fun of driving this car more than makes up for it!

Last edited by pathik : 6th December 2017 at 01:13.
pathik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I don't know if it's normal but if I find the mileage in B2B traffic is a bit on the lower side especially when compared to what can be achieved on highway. Maybe the idle fuel consumption is too high? In any case, I am not complaining because the sheer fun of driving this car more than makes up for it!
Here's what I do in B2B traffic -
When it is really slow moving, I shift to manual gear control. As soon as the car start moving, I request an up-shift to 2nd, and the AT box always up-shifts to 2nd gear. If you are in D mode, it will shift quite late, you will end up spending significantly more time in 1st gear.

One more interesting observation is that, when you are at standstill, and if you request an up-shift to 2nd gear, it will still shift to 2nd and will remain in 2nd gear all throughout the stop and go traffic, including the stops.

During normal city driving, you can use manual shifter to do some more tricks - say you are moving at an average speed closer to 30 kmph but not really crossing 30kmph. AT will be in 2nd gear. I feel this is unnecessary for speeds close to 30 kmph. What you can do is to put it to manual mode, accelerate momentarily to a speed more than 30kmph, shift to third and then slow down as much as it is necessary. The car will be moving in 3rd gear from now on, even for speeds as low as 12 kmph. But then, the torque converter will be mostly in the fluid coupling mode for these very low speeds.

The same logic applies to the speeds which are slightly less than the speed at which AT shifts to 4th gear. AT shifts to 4th at about 45kmph, but you can go in 4th gear for even lower speeds using the manual shifter.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th December 2017 at 08:20.
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 10:42   #72
BHPian

It seems that the red colour is the most popular choice among Verna buyers. On Bangalore roads I have already come across 5 new Vernas in different parts of the city, all in RED. I have noticed that there is at least one colour which outsells the other colours and are too common on roads.
Eg. Arizona blue of Tata hexa, blue/white Mercs, Jags or BMWs, orange Tiagos etc.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:02   #73
BHPian

Excellent review by Team BHP...kudos! Your detailed reviews backed by solid thinking, observations, pictures, detailing and writing style makes the reviews among the very best.

I had bought mine in September '17, and it is a pure treat from every angle. It clearly is heads and shoulders above the City or the Ciaz. It is delightful to be behind the wheel of the Verna 2017 - it envelopes you with luxury and eats asphalt the way it was born to.

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
a. Bumper to Bumper traffic - 9 to 10 kmpl
b. Normal City driving (with 50% time in B2B traffic and remaining on normal roads) - 13 to 14 kmpl
c. Highway - Conservative driving can fetch you 18 to 20 kmpl. With cruise control on, you can expect even higher. The best I have done is 23 kmpl
Good to see this. My Verna AT has done about 1500kms so far, and I get about 9-10kmpl in regular city driving. Goes up to about 13-14 during Sunday drives when the traffic is about 40% less.

Cruise control surely is the recipe to draw out the best mileage

I had gone to Agra via the Yamuna Expressway, and it delivered 17 kmpl (all time AC and rare cruise control) doorstep-to-doorstep, and while on the expressway, it delivered 19 without cruise control and at speeds between 90-120kmph.

It's an amazing, powerful, comfortable car. As that ol' devil would have said, 'owner's pride, neighbour's envy'.

Quote:
Here's what I do in B2B traffic -
During normal city driving, you can use manual shifter to do some more tricks -
Lol...that's some detailing! Though not sure how much I will be able to practically apply - am more in a mind to enjoy the smooth, hassle-free AT...the mileage can take a backseat for now with this lovely machine.

But complements to your study and ingenuity in framing this out!

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2017 at 17:26. Reason: Merging back to back posts
AjayJohri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 16:16   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
A friend picked up the new i20 and they too have this horn/beep issue. Its a real pain sometimes. Hope someone comes up with a solution because I want to upgrade the horn.
Very irritating and very loud so I got the service center to disable the beeping during lock/unlock. I think they disconnected a wire, not very sure about what they did. Much better now.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
One more interesting observation is that, when you are at standstill, and if you request an up-shift to 2nd gear, it will still shift to 2nd and will remain in 2nd gear all throughout the stop and go traffic, including the stops.
I have tried that but I am not really sure how much a difference it would really make to the fuel consumption i.e. whether it is worth all the effort! I have noticed that the car auto upshifts quite later than my usual style (when driving manual cars). I was slightly disappointed when I learnt I couldn't upshift manually unless the RPM has crossed 1950-2000 mark. If the RPM is less than that, then it just ignores all upshift requests. I wish the tuning could be changed a bit as I usually am on the 3rd gear when I reach 29-30 kmph when driving a manual car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks