Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 17:36   #181
BANNED

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Bhpians, seriously thinking Verna petrol SX. I need to decide by this month end (finance issues). Only thing holds me back is the mileage it gives.

I am hearing mileage like 8-9 KMPL average in city traffic, is that true? I think, I am comfortable with a minimum of 11 KMPL average. My driving pattern is sedate, 80% in city bumper to bumper traffic (read 2nd and 3rd gear) and once in 3 months a dash to Konkan coast. Please help me with some realistic figure.

Last edited by manson : 27th June 2018 at 20:50.
Old 12th May 2018, 20:03   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am hearing mileage like 8-9 KMPL average in city traffic, is that true? I think, I am comfortable with a minimum of 11 KMPL average. My driving pattern is sedate, 80% in city bumper to bumper traffic (read 2nd and 3rd gear) and once in 3 months a dash to Konkan coast. Please help me with some realistic figure.
I have a petrol automatic which is driven a lot in Pune city. Gives me anywhere between 9.5 to 11 in the city. Towards the lower side in real bumper-to-bumper crawl. 14 on the highways. Apologies for not being more accurate as I don't track mileage that closely.

Manual numbers might be slightly different but I don't suspect by much.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 12th May 2018 at 20:05.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 15:46   #183
Senior - BHPian

Does Hyundai have any norm stipulating that the first time insurance for a new car must be taken from Hyundai itself? A friend of mine is getting his new Verna delivered on 18th and the dealer is insisting that the insurance has to be taken from them and cannot be taken from an insurance provider of our choice.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 15th May 2018, 17:46   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Does Hyundai have any norm stipulating that the first time insurance for a new car must be taken from Hyundai itself?

No, there is no such rule. You are free to get the insurance from anyone you want.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 13:12   #185
BHPian

Hello Folks. Does anyone have an idea on the following three for the New Gen Verna (2107)?

1. Does it have a Tyre Pressure indicator/TPMS? The brochure says so (see image), though I have found absolutely no mention of it anywhere else.

2. Just for interest, can the Headlamps be changed to white LED Headlamps? How much do they cost, and will the changeover violate the warranty/extended warranty?

3. Hyundai has given just an e-Manual for the car, which cannot be used conveniently when you're in the car. Written to Hyundai for a hard copy, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks and best wishes!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-tyre-pressure.jpg  

Old 25th May 2018, 11:26   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
This happens way too often, my friend. The guys at the ASC blame the fuel first just because they believe that would relieve them of the bother. Ask them for a proof, tests that they might have they done to ascertain whether it is kerosene adulteration, and by how much. If they don't tell you the amount or try to condescendingly ask you to leave the problem with them because 'they are the mechanics, not you', ask for the service manager and politely make them understand that you'll write to Hyundai if they fail to solve the problem. Be analytical about the problem and ask them why, how, etc. This will present you as a more informed customer. Try to video or at least audio record the whole ordeal and take photos of your car, or whatever is being done, whether something is removed, fuel tank drained, whatever nuts and bolts are opened, tightened or anything else. It might make you a tough customer but this has to be done if ASC tries to cover up the issue. It will take time and energy and may eat into your office hours but your friend should make sure that his investment (the car) is in the best shape possible to enjoy it with peace of mind. Go to the ASC when the queue is short (on a weekday?), if possible so the mechanicals maybe diagnosed properly.
Update:Verna is back from the service center. We had to be very aggressive and the service guys did agree that there is a weird noise. As the service station was unable to solve. Hyundai's team came in and checked for the same. It took them around a week and finally changed the injector assembly, pump and filter. Post the change it is totally silent and the noise is gone.

But, i am really annoyed as i own Hyundai cars for quite a long time and i never had an issue with the service guys in solving any issue (BTW, i own i-gen i20 with 82,000 km and 2014 Fluidic Verna with 1.30 lakh Km on odo). This type of arrogance from the service guys was not expected. And the way they denied that there is no noise in a 15L new car was just too much. I never raised my voice ever for any service related issue. But, this time it was all together an opposite experience. If this happened to a person who would have just given up, would have to live with it.

Glad it is resolved now.

Last edited by shravan2k2 : 25th May 2018 at 11:29. Reason: Spelling and space error
shravan2k2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 13:04   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
It took them around a week and finally changed the injector assembly, pump and filter. Post the change it is totally silent and the noise is gone.
Good to know that you arrived at a solution. A fuel pump/injector replacement in a new car is just nuts! I hope you can provide more insight into your experience. You're welcome to share a separate write-up with BHPians. We would love to read it.
Old 27th May 2018, 15:54   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
Good to know that you arrived at a solution. A fuel pump/injector replacement in a new car is just nuts! I hope you can provide more insight into your experience. You're welcome to share a separate write-up with BHPians. We would love to read it.

I will sure try to write it down. Have been thinking of writing on my 4 year old modded i20, but couldn't do. I will try to share my experience with New Verna
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 19:25   #189
Senior - BHPian

Most of the Verna AT Diesel users might have noted this - The AT never ever downshifts to second gear (in 'D' mode). It is always from 3 to 1.

Couple of things I wish the AT did better -

- First gear to second is always happening after 18kmph, even on a light foot, and this is a ridiculous way to shift in city driving. AT could have shifted to second gear at around 10-12 kmph when driver is on a light foot. What I do to get around this issue is to momentarily put it to manual mode, and shift to second as soon as the car starts moving. Then the mode is switched back to 'D' before it is time to shift to 3rd gear (around 30kmph).

- As mentioned above, it never downshifts to 2nd gear from 3rd. Wish it did when speed is reduced to ~12kmph.

By the way, none of these matter when you're on the highway! It is a breeze to drive and overtaking slow movers on a two lane road is so very easy!

Last 8 months' mileage chart - measured by full tank to full tank refills recorded on MyCars app:

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-feverna.jpeg

Glad to see it hovering between 13 and 14kmpl with no real highway driving. (I live in Kerala )

Last edited by clevermax : 27th May 2018 at 19:48.
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:07   #190
MCR
BHPian

Last Saturday the First Free service of my 1.6D SX was completed.

ODO : 1991 KMS
FE (Average) : 13.5 KMPL
Service Cost : Rs. 118/-

Complaints :

1. I felt the brake bite was inconsistent and also the feel was "wooden".
2. Dash board Rattle.

Resolution :

1. The brake fluid was replaced and the front pads were cleaned with sand paper. The rear drum was cleaned as well. Brake bleeding was also done.
Post this I am happy to report that the feel of the brakes have improved tremendously. Also the bite is more consistent.
2. Dash board rattle was traced to the Idol. So the idol was re-fixed with 3M tape. Rattle gone.

The entire service experience at Advaith Hyundai was very good. Have driven >300 KMs since service. Things look positive for now!
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 12:13   #191
Senior - BHPian

Anybody in this forum ever wrote to Hyundai and managed to get a response?

I wanted to write to them about the lock & unlock beeper - badly want to do silent lock & unlocks but still want the security alarm to function. I think the only way is by a soft update and not by removing some fuse or connector - because it will disable the security alarm too.

It is really embarrassing to unlock your car in a quite neighborhood with these loud beeps. Couple of people have already asked me why I cannot lock & unlock with the sound muted, especially at night.

Wonder why Hyundai put a moped's horn and a cheap sounding unlock beeper in their premium C segment offering.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th May 2018 at 12:18.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 12:35   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I think the only way is by a soft update and not by removing some fuse or connector - because it will disable the security alarm too.
Hey clevermax, I have not really tried this myself, but I remember one of my friend trying this out on his Elite I20.

You may want to give it a go yourself, and let the others know if it worked:

You hold the lock and unlock button for 2-3 seconds and it'll disable the horn. if your fob only has one button for luck/unlock try holding it and the panic button. You have to be in proximity of the car when you do this.
Old 28th May 2018, 12:47   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is really embarrassing to unlock your car in a quite neighborhood with these loud beeps. Couple of people have already asked me why I cannot lock & unlock with the sound muted, especially at night.
I faced the same embarrassment too but now lock quietly. Instead of using the key fob, use the request sensor on the door to lock/unlock the car. You won't have any beeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
You hold the lock and unlock button for 2-3 seconds and it'll disable the horn. if your fob only has one button for luck/unlock try holding it and the panic button. You have to be in proximity of the car when you do this.
I tried this method as soon as I bought my car and it never worked. Surprised it worked for your friend! Is it a new Elite i20?

Last edited by manson : 27th June 2018 at 20:50.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 13:30   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thanks! I had tried this but it never worked on Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I faced the same embarrassment too but now lock quietly. Instead of using the key fob, use the request sensor on the door to lock/unlock the car. You won't have any beeps.
Mine doesn't have the request sensor, so I have to resort to the remote control every time
Old 28th May 2018, 14:50   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Surprised it worked for your friend! Is it a new Elite i20?
Quote:
Thanks! I had tried this but it never worked on Verna.
My friend's I20 is not the recent facelift version, but was from the batch which got the integrated touch screen first. I don't remember which year, but it is the Asta(O) for sure.

I can check with him once again and confirm if this was what he did to get rid of this annoyance.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks