Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 12:45   #256
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Funny though, Hyundai mentions chrome handle bar etc is only in (O) variant, but forgot to mention supervision cluster is also available only in (O) variant .
It is mentioned on the website under the feature list. But i do feel that at least 6 airbags should be made standard across all variants (at least EX and SX). Case in point the diesel auto I'm sure people will be more than happy to pay a premium of 60-80k for the SX(O) Diesel auto. I don't understand Hyundai's logic behind not offering diesel auto in SX(O) trim. Atleast the petrol auto is available in SX(O) (lucky us). Even the new Creta dosent get Automatic in SX(O). Hyundai provides a sunroof in SX+ AT models but why cant they just put in 6 airbags instead of the sunroof(which in my opinion is useless in 5 months never have we opened the sunroof ).
Anirudh_sai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 12:58   #257
BHPian

I have a query. The price difference between petrol and diesel Verna is nearly 1.5lac rupees. Supposedly one keeps the car for minimum three years and has an average running of daily 60kms which of the two is a better option.
Old 25th July 2018, 13:18   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
I have a query. The price difference between petrol and diesel Verna is nearly 1.5lac rupees. Supposedly one keeps the car for minimum three years and has an average running of daily 60kms which of the two is a better option.
It depends if your daily running for 3 years is going to be above 60kms then definitely diesel makes more sense. But in any case maintenance is going to be more for a diesel compared to the petrol and also the initial cost is going to be higher. In terms of performance the diesel is definitely better. But for 3-4 years of ownership the higher initial cost will not be made up by the cheaper diesel. So if you don't mind the marginally lower performance you can buy the petrol. also the petrol has much better NVH levels.
BTW which model are you planning to buy.
Old 25th July 2018, 13:26   #259
BANNED

Quote:

Let's consider average bumper to bumper mileage of Verna petrol to be 9 and Verna diesel to be 13. Also, consider today's petrol and diesel price per liter to be 83 and 72 in Mumbai.

So your daily saving for a 60 KM drive would be around INR 220. So a layman calculation says, you need around 2 years to break even.
Old 25th July 2018, 14:00   #260
BHPian

Hi,

Anybody got any mods done to the verna?
I recently spotted a verna with Led brake lights for rear bumper, like many other cars (seems to be a trend these days). I am planning to get the same.

Below link from amazon:
https://www.amazon.in/Fabtec-Reflect...er+light&psc=1
Old 25th July 2018, 15:01   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirudh_sai View Post
It depends if your daily running for 3 years is going to be above 60kms then definitely diesel makes more sense. But in any case maintenance is going to be more for a diesel compared to the petrol and also the initial cost is going to be higher. In terms of performance the diesel is definitely better. But for 3-4 years of ownership the higher initial cost will not be made up by the cheaper diesel. So if you don't mind the marginally lower performance you can buy the petrol. also the petrol has much better NVH levels.

BTW which model are you planning to buy.

Around 3 months back I almost finalised the purchase of Verna diesel SXO. Then I had a health issue and it took me some time to recover. On an average I would be doing around 60-65 kms per day. I am eyeing the SXO trim of the Verna. Though my mind says I could settle for a diesel elite I20 top model and save some money but my heart is still firmly on Verna. The price difference between petrol and diesel in Gurgaon as of today is roughly 8.5 rupees. So just thinking if it's worth paying a premium of 1.5lacs approximately for the diesel makes any sense. I have driven the petrol Verna and I am satisfied with its performance. I am not a very heavy footed driver but I do love to rev up on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Let's consider average bumper to bumper mileage of Verna petrol to be 9 and Verna diesel to be 13. Also, consider today's petrol and diesel price per liter to be 83 and 72 in Mumbai.

So your daily saving for a 60 KM drive would be around INR 220. So a layman calculation says, you need around 2 years to break even.

Hi petrolhead. The fuel difference usually remains 8-9 rupees between diesel and petrol. Also if we factor in the Maintainence cost between diesel and petrol I guess 2 to 2 1/2 years one can break even on premium. I usually don't keep a car for more than 3 years. Keeping all these factors in mind I would like to know which is a better option.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th July 2018 at 10:46. Reason: Merged
Old 25th July 2018, 15:19   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Around 3 months back I almost finalised the purchase of Verna diesel SXO. Then I had a health issue and it took me some time to recover. On an average I would be doing around 60-65 kms per day. I am eyeing the SXO trim of the Verna. Though my mind says I could settle for a diesel elite I20 top model and save some money but my heart is still firmly on Verna. The price difference between petrol and diesel in Gurgaon as of today is roughly 8.5 rupees. So just thinking if it's worth paying a premium of 1.5lacs approximately for the diesel makes any sense. I have driven the petrol Verna and I am satisfied with its performance. I am not a very heavy footed driver but I do love to rev up on highways.
Definitely go for the Verna. We are completely satisfied with ours (SX(O) Petrol AT). We took a test drive in the diesel SX(O) and I could hear the diesel rattle inside while driving. So definitely petrol is quieter. Also instead of the diesel u can consider the petrol AUTO. The gearbox is excellent and does what you expect. He mileage takes a hit though. In city we get 10-11 and on highways at 80-100kph the mileage stretches to 14kpl. Do note both these figures are with 100% AC and the gearbox in D mode.

Compared to the i20 you get
1. Ventilated seats
2. Sunroof
3. Leather upholstery
4. LED Taillights which look really cool
5. Projector fog lamps
6. Smart Trunk
7. Cruise control

What you lose:-
1. Auto folding mirrors and welcome function
2. Steering position reminder ( i think the facelifted i20 dosent have this feature anymore)
Anirudh_sai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 15:31   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Hi petrolhead. The fuel difference usually remains 8-9 rupees between diesel and petrol. Also if we factor in the Maintainence cost between diesel and petrol I guess 2 to 2 1/2 years one can break even on premium. I usually don't keep a car for more than 3 years. Keeping all these factors in mind I would like to know which is a better option.

I would rather ignore maintenance cost difference as resale of diesel would be marginally higher than petrol. Moreover, if you are planning for 3 years only, probable future diesel ban would not affect you too. Mind you, Verna comes with 3-year unlimited KM warranty.

1.6 VTVT can do with occasional rev up too, only economy will go for a toss in the process .

I would suggest, you do a back to back test drive of both petrol and diesel and go for the one you like. IMO, there is not much financial impact in choosing either of them for your case.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 16:56   #264
BANNED

Quote:
I will suggest you to go for the i20. I have two reasons for this. First you will end up investing less money for almost a similar product. Second, it will be easier to drive in the city. You can invest the saved money in other modifications.
Old 26th July 2018, 00:47   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirudh_sai View Post
Definitely go for the Verna. We are completely satisfied with ours (SX(O) Petrol AT). We took a test drive in the diesel SX(O) and I could hear the diesel rattle inside while driving. So definitely petrol is quieter. Also instead of the diesel u can consider the petrol AUTO. The gearbox is excellent and does what you expect. He mileage takes a hit though. In city we get 10-11 and on highways at 80-100kph the mileage stretches to 14kpl. Do note both these figures are with 100% AC and the gearbox in D mode.

Dear Anirudh. Doesn't the Verna auto looses out on ventilated seats and six airbags as compared to the manual? I remember SA telling me this last time. It only comes with two airbags and doesn't have ventilated seats. If the automatic gives a mileage of 10-11 in city then I guess the manual's mileage would be bit higher. My guess 11-13. How much your city driving include bumper to bumper traffic?Sorry for asking too many questions.
Old 26th July 2018, 01:23   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't the Verna auto looses out on ventilated seats and six airbags as compared to the manual? I remember SA telling me this last time. It only comes with two airbags and doesn't have ventilated seats.
Hi, Petrol AT is available in SX(O) variant and hence it has all the features including six airbags, ventilated seats, smart trunk, leather seats etc. However for some brilliant ( :banghead: ) business reasons, Verna Dieselt AT isn't available in SX(O) trim. We've SX+ as the top variant for AT (which basically has sunroof, rear curtain, AC eco coating technology, leather wrapped gear stick and steering wheel over the regular SX variant).

I've found most SAs so dumb (at least in my experience, no offense to anyone) that they couldn't explain anything properly and I've had to virtually mentor the SA with whom I'm dealing with at the moment. If you can go through the previous posts from our comrades and our official review, you don't need any other sources :thumbup:

Last edited by madmaxvistian : 26th July 2018 at 01:26.
madmaxvistian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 10:01   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anirudh. Doesn't the Verna auto looses out on ventilated seats and six airbags as compared to the manual? I remember SA telling me this last time. It only comes with two airbags and doesn't have ventilated seats. If the automatic gives a mileage of 10-11 in city then I guess the manual's mileage would be bit higher. My guess 11-13. How much your city driving include bumper to bumper traffic?Sorry for asking too many questions.
The petrol auto is available in SX(O). That was our main reason for not buying he Creta. Verna is probably the only car <15L in Hyundais lineup with a fully loaded petrol auto.

In Thanjavur there isnt much traffic but for short trips inside the city MID shows 8-10kpl. Recently we went to Tirupati via Chidambaram a drive of 470km which included Chennais rush hour traffic about 30mins. Tiny village roads where there are trucks coming both ways. Before hitting the small roads I was getting ~14.5 kpl as soon as we came to the village it dropped to 13.2. Then in Chennai it dropped to 12.5. In totality we got 13.9kpl as per
MID over 470km. This is with a 100% AC. Also there was a thunderstorm in the evening which affected our average speed.

Sorry I dont have figures for B2B traffic. We lived in Bangalore before but didn’t have hhe verna then.
My guess in Bangalore traffic it will give 7-8kpl max. But on the highway ar 80-100 the engine ticks at around 1900-2100rpm in 6th which makes the fuel economy better.

Also I have most sales reps are useless they dont know much about the car. So take it with a pinch of salt.
You should check the website for accurate details.
Old 28th July 2018, 12:09   #268
BHPian

Hi guys, raking up an issue that Hyundai has been in bit inconsistent in its communication. Does the new Verna come with EBD? The website does mention it as part of the specification but the brochure doesn't mention it. I wrote to Hyundai also but didn't get any response.

I believe there is a separate thread also that confirms EBD on i20 but there is not much info on the Verna.
Old 29th July 2018, 00:24   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
I believe there is a separate thread also that confirms EBD on i20 but there is not much info on the Verna.
If the cheaper i20 has it then it's its highly unlikely that it's costlier more premium big brother wouldn't. Just doesn't fit. I don't think it works that way.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 05:34   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Does the new Verna come with EBD? The website does mention it as part of the specification but the brochure doesn't mention it.
Mostly the brochure is not updated. When launched, Verna did not come with EBD and only ABS was mentioned in the site. The site was later updated and I am hoping that Verna now comes with ABS+EBD.

Related thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4390931
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed