Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 22:13   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

So guys I have joined the Verna Diesel (MT) club. My first diesel and my first Hyundai. I have a question on the second gear. The car when slotted in second lurches forward without any accelerator input. This is happening every time. I have confirmed same that it happens with a prev generation petrol Verna as well. I understand that it is torque at work. Do you guys experience the same?
sumeethaldankar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 10:15   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
So guys I have joined the Verna Diesel (MT) club. My first diesel and my first Hyundai. I have a question on the second gear. The car when slotted in second lurches forward without any accelerator input. This is happening every time. I have confirmed same that it happens with a prev generation petrol Verna as well. I understand that it is torque at work. Do you guys experience the same?
It is very much ordinary for Hyundai, are you asking if this is an anomaly or are you finding that this lurching forward movement is different from the previous car you owned? Civic? I remember we had a discussion on the Elantra thread.

Not an owner of Verna nor of a manual diesel but I can very much confirm that in my previous car which was a manual Getz, the car used to crawl/lurch forward even on second gear.. that car was silly fun the way it used to just go and go and go and the RPM wouldn't even be at 1.5k. Hyundai's calibrations are all oriented on low-end torque, its post 4k RPM that the car feels dull and almost listless. To have fun just keep the revs low, gears at the right places and watch it obliterate all vehicles with almost no effort and with great FE as well since low revs can extract max mileage as you wanted.

Hyundai state of tune is the direct inverse of Honda.. it maxes out much before the high RPMs but will give a pinned to the seat experience with low revs. Honda's muscle powers lie at the apex of the RPM, but before that it will not produce any drama.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 10:26   #333
BHPian

Verna Anniversary edition launched

Today's newspaper carries an advt of the anniversary edition of the next gen Verna. it is being launched in two colours - Polar White and Marina Blue. Being made available in the top end SX(O) in petrol (both manual and auto) and diesel (only manual).
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20180913_102235.jpg  

RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 12:06   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Verna Anniversary edition launched

Today's newspaper carries an advt of the anniversary edition of the next gen Verna. it is being launched in two colours - Polar White and Marina Blue. Being made available in the top end SX(O) in petrol (both manual and auto) and diesel (only manual).
That blue looks very good on the Elantra. Curious to see how it will be on the Verna. I think chrome accents do not go very well with that color. Black trim is better.

The anniversary edition also comes with some blue accents inside as per the advertisement.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by manson : 15th September 2018 at 18:51. Reason: Typo.
Old 13th September 2018, 14:04   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It is very much ordinary for Hyundai, are you asking if this is an anomaly or are you finding that this lurching forward movement is different from the previous car you owned? Civic? I remember we had a discussion on the Elantra thread.
Yes i was wondering whether this lurching is a problem or something. My senior colleague has a petrol Verna and he echoed the same second gear characteristic. Feels good to drive on clear roads but in crowded street one has to be careful as it suddenly leaps forward. Thanks for your inputs on the diesel/petrol factor in the Elantra thread.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 18:35   #336
BHPian

Hyundai has added wireless charging as well.
That’s a welcome addition.
The seats also now sport an all black theme.
Old 13th September 2018, 19:28   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i was wondering whether this lurching is a problem or something. My senior colleague has a petrol Verna and he echoed the same second gear characteristic. Feels good to drive on clear roads but in crowded street one has to be careful as it suddenly leaps forward. Thanks for your inputs on the diesel/petrol factor in the Elantra thread.
Give it a few more kms of driving.. but if you do feel that there is an issue of lack of control of the vehicle when moving forward, you're better off checking it at the service station. When the vehicle is new and warranty is at its strongest they may do everything to solve it. They may most probably run a diagnostic to see how the ECU is calibrated.

Until then maybe the only work-around is to half or 3-quarter clutch it and release and accelerate very slowly when the gap in the front increases.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 19:34   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No experience with the Verna, but if your background is petrol and this is your first diesel as you mentioned, it could just be the torque at work. It might take you a few days to get used to it. Since diesels are more torquey even at the low end, they can reach a higher speed with enough oomph than a similar petrol.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 01:55   #339
BANNED

Hi,
In the verna can we get drl's installed of the sx variant in the ex variant?
Old 14th September 2018, 11:23   #340
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to use up a full tank in my diesel Verna MT. The MID mileage show 14 to 16 kmpl depending on traffic conditions. What is the real world difference between the MID and tankful to tankful method?
Old 14th September 2018, 14:11   #341
BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to use up a full tank in my diesel Verna MT. The MID mileage show 14 to 16 kmpl depending on traffic conditions. What is the real world difference between the MID and tankful to tankful method?
I have a Verna Petrol and covered about 1200 kms so far. Recently drove from Bangalore to Dindigul and back.

For the onward journey, the MID showed an FE of 14.0 kmpl after covering 411.3 kms. For the return journey it showed 14.4 kmpl after covering 378.6 kms. The petrol consumed was 29 litres for the onward journey and 26 liters for the return journey. The accumulated info counter was reset at the end of the onward and return legs and re-fueling was done on both occasions.

This results in a tankful-to-tankful FE of 14.2 kmpl (vs. 14.0 from MID) and 14.6 kmpl (vs. 14.4 kmpl from MID) respectively. So I found the MID FE readings to be quite accurate on my Verna petrol.

Onward Leg:
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-dindigul_onward.jpg

Return Leg:
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-dindigul_return.jpg

Last edited by red.devil_19 : 14th September 2018 at 14:14.
red.devil_19 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 19:06   #342
BHPian

Quote:
I do tank full everytime and track the mileage by tankful to tankful and I always see a difference of 0.1 to 0.9 kmpl between actual to MID where actual (tankful to tankful) is on the higher side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxvistian View Post
Thanks fidaford, this trick worked for me as well. Now I don't need to toggle across the modes but rather press the mute button twice which is simple and less annoying. Nevertheless I'll try to get it clarified and fixed by Hyundai.

Can you let us know here if you get any fix for this from Hyundai. Still I am wondering how this was broken as this was working perfectly fine for me till last month might be.

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2018 at 21:03. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:47   #343
BHPian

I see a major difference (for the good) in MID figures on my Verna vs actual i.e. if MID shows 11 kmpl, the actual is usually 12 or so. I think one factor which the MID does not consider is the car weight i.e how many passengers are in the car and probably assumes 4 passengers including the driver. Since my car is 90% of the times driven with only 1 (me) in the car, the actual figures are higher than MID.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:59   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I see a major difference (for the good) in MID figures on my Verna vs actual i.e. if MID shows 11 kmpl, the actual is usually 12 or so. I think one factor which the MID does not consider is the car weight i.e how many passengers are in the car and probably assumes 4 passengers including the driver. Since my car is 90% of the times driven with only 1 (me) in the car, the actual figures are higher than MID.
The fuel efficiency shown on the MID is not the 'projected' FE but the 'real time' FE. It is calculated by dividing the distance being travelled by the amount fuel being eaten. So it does not have anything to do with the number of passangers.

The FE for the trip too is calculated by dividing the actual distance travelled by the actual fuel consumed; there is no connection to the number of passangers.

There could a little difference but the difference of 1 kmpl looks higher. It shall be around 0.5 kmpl.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 17th September 2018 at 13:01.
Old 17th September 2018, 13:17   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There's also another issue that I am frustrated with - this is only applicable to 1.6D Automatic Transmission I guess -when accelerating smoothly with a light foot on the A-Pedal, there's a distinct shudder felt somewhat before 30 kmph, when it is almost time for the AT to shift to 3rd gear. This is not something that happens during the gear shift though. This is like a very momentary loss of power and engine catches it breath again and goes on accelerating smoothly. A milder version of the same annoyance is felt rarely on 3rd gear as well just above 40 kmph. Anyone else had experienced this? This is not something which became more and more evident over time, this was there from day #1. If I put it into a sequence, it will be like this:

(in Kmph) 1..2......10...15...16(shift to 2nd gear)....20...25...26...(shudder, momentary loss of power)...27..28...29...30..31(shift to 3rd gear)......
I have seen this too on my EX Auto. I wouldn't say power-loss but you do feel slight lag when the gear is shifting up. I am not an expert by any means but I assumed this is normal during a gear-shift in TC based automatic transmissions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks