Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 14:32   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I find the engine sound quite acceptable on low RPMs. I don't know if it is a placebo but recently on a trip I completed close to 9,000 kms on my Verna and while returning I found that the noise has gone down even further. Since then I feel the car has become even quieter.

1. Changing the default head-unit with an Android based HU imported from AliExpress. I have been able to get Android Auto running fairly well on it

3. Added a dash-cam (Viofo A119) - again imported from AliExpress

4. Changed the atrocious factory headlights on EX with Osram Night-breaker (visibility is acceptable now but still not 100% happy)
Thanks, the engine sound (clatter) in mine is surely higher than the new Verna I drove. Even one of my friends was saying that mine has higher clatter noise. I am going to get this checked after comparing mine with jkdas's Verna, as we both took delivery of the exact same model 1 week apart.

Nice additions you have done to the EX! You're going to love Android Auto. AA is up and running in my car 100% of the time I am using the car. I've never used the built-in navigation which is pretty useless compared to the live Google Maps in AA.

Last weekend during a road trip, my daughter asked me how many states are there in India. I asked her to ask it to the car after pressing the voice button on the steering - AA started answering it in detail, and she was like wow!

SX's headlamps are pretty decent since they are projector, however I plan to switch to LEDs soon. Challenge is to find slightly warmer colored LEDs as I hate the white / blueish ones.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th September 2018 at 14:39.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 19:45   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Had to visit the showroom post the battery fiasco because the right rear power window was not working, neither with the driver side buttons nor with the rear ones.
Surprisingly as soon as I reached the dealership it started working after a couple more attempts!
Meanwhile I asked them about the auto link update. They had no idea whatsoever.
@Smooth drive , did you mean an app update?
Or the firmware update which the app does while it’s connected to the car via Bluetooth and the internet?
Or the kind of software update the service technicians do with their OBD set up?

Sorry to bombard you with so many queries.
It was an app update, they don't have a firmware update as of now.
Smooth Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 11:41   #363
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the bulb spec of NextGen Verna SX projector headlight? I was planning to get LEDs, but the bulb specs aren't clearly stated anywhere.
Old 30th September 2018, 22:29   #364
BHPian

Is there a way we can jump albums (folder)? I have tried various options but I couldnt get it.
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:45   #365
BHPian

Today had a chance to TD the SX(O) MT CRDi variant.

The best thing I liked in the car were the cooled seats. Awesome!
The aircon was pleasant and the HU was awesome.

The ride quality was not up to the Skoda Rapid/European competitor mark.
The braking was not confidence inspiring in the TD vehicle. When asked about this, the Sales person told the braking is poor as it is a TD car (but the car had just run 13k kms approx). I am not sure if this is the case with the new vehicles as well.
The plastics on the dashboard felt little hard here and there.
The rear seats were comfortable, but if they could carve out a little more legroom like the City then the competition would have been sweet.
Minor vibrations were observed on the Gear lever and on the Steering wheel. For this, the answer from Sales team was the same as that of braking. TD car blah blah....
The space between dead pedal and the clutch is small. With wider shoes it was tough depressing the clutch.
Front seats thigh support was not to my taste.
Missing steering Reach adjustment, only rake available.
My knees were hitting the centre console. (may be I had not adjusted the seats properly)

The On Road price in Coimbatore for the SX(O) diesel version is 15.8 L.
There is a 20k cash discount + 5k Corporate discount + If booking is done before this friday they offered Insurance free. .

Hyundai Customer care told I am eligible for 20k corporate discount, but dealer is telling it is 5k only. They said customer care is not aware of these things properly.

Overall, it is a feature packed car almost worth the money that you pay, unlike the Creta.

Last edited by deemash : 3rd October 2018 at 18:56.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:51   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Today had a chance to TD the SX(O) MT CRDi variant.

The ride quality was not up to the Skoda Rapid/European competitor mark.
The braking was not confidence inspiring in the TD vehicle.
Front seats thigh support was not to my taste.
Missing steering Reach adjustment, only rake available.
My knees were hitting the centre console. (may be I had not adjusted the seats properly)

The On Road price in Coimbatore for the SX(O) diesel version is 15.8 L.
There is a 20k cash discount + 5k Corporate discount + If booking is done before this friday they offered Insurance free. .
When I took TD of CRDI MT last month, I faced the same problem with the seat and the under-thigh support. That was the major let-down for me.

I took one more comprehensive TD of around 30 Kms again on another day. I took more time in adjusting the driver seat and steering, but that also went in vain. I could not get that support and comfort. I felt that long distance drive etc will become a problem if this is the case.

For me, this is really like a deal breaker. I have decided to wait, and TD the Rapid (though it is an old vehicle now) which I have not done yet.

Besides, I am sure you will get an ever better offer if you go to book the vehicle towards the month end, but the festival season might not help in getting great discounts.

Are they asking for handling charges there in Coimbatore? For the on-road price is not as much as 15.8L in Lucknow.
Old 4th October 2018, 13:09   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Are they asking for handling charges there in Coimbatore? For the on-road price is not as much as 15.8L in Lucknow.
The quote:

Ex-Showroom - 12,85,990
Insurance - 78,161
Regn, Tax and incidental expenses - 1,98,198
Extended warranty - 13,523
Accessories - 2,300
TCS 1% - 12,860
Fastag - 600

Total - 15,91,632 - That seems to be a big amount

Since I am not interested on buying the Verna, did not ask for what accessories they are charging..etc.

Last edited by deemash : 4th October 2018 at 13:16.
Old 4th October 2018, 15:42   #368
BANNED

I am having some troubling experiences with both Android Auto and default player.

Android Auto (AA) issues:

Scenario 1:

Problem: Plug in the phone, start AA and make a call. Call audio is through phone speaker. Frequency of the issue is around 50%.

Work Around: Disconnect the call and the reconnect the phone and eventually restart AA.

Scenario 2:
Problem: Music playing through Amazon Music over AA. Received / made a call. After the call ends, music starts over phone speaker. Frequency of the issue is more than 90%.
Work Around: Reconnect the phone and restart AA.

Scenario 3:
Problem: Unable to search music / station on Amazon music, can only access though saved list / recent stations only. I believe, it is Amazon app issue rather than AA issue.
No solution or WA yet.

Out of curiosity, the Android Auto on Verna is a pure Android version or has some skin on it? How to check the Android version currently being installed?

Default music player:

Issue 1: How to stop the irritating speed limit sound? It keeps on beeping even if the player is not being used.

Issue 2: Any shortcut to auto search and preset the Radio stations? After 3 attempts I still have one station in 3 preset numbers and several station missing .

Issue 3: I feel the reception capacity of FM is week. My previous Micra has an extra long stick type antenna and I used to get FM uninterrupted. But, I am facing station overlapping and distorted voice over certain areas on highways far from cities. Does the shark-fin have lesser capacity than the old school sticks?

Issue 4: Is there any shortcut to screen-off without going to settings?
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:10   #369
BHPian

I got my Stardust Grey Verna SX 1.6 VTVT MT delivered on 2nd Oct, 2018. I am loving the drive part, but not the ride part as much. I think the observation that 16 inch tyres on (and in) Mumbai potholes do not provide a good ride quality. Anyways, I am happy that Hyundai offers 16 inch alloy wheels in a 11.5L bucks C segment loaded sedan.

My question to friends here: Do you see a downshift indicator on the MID? I am not seeing that. I checked it by doing almost a crawl in gear 3. I see an upshift indicator though.
Wohroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:57   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wohroy View Post
I got my Stardust Grey Verna SX 1.6 VTVT MT delivered on 2nd Oct, 2018. I am loving the drive part, but not the ride part as much. I think the observation that 16 inch tyres on (and in) Mumbai potholes do not provide a good ride quality.

My question to friends here: Do you see a downshift indicator on the MID? I am not seeing that. I checked it by doing almost a crawl in gear 3. I see an upshift indicator though.
Congratulations .
To answer your question on the down shift display, if it displays up-shift, it should display down shift.
I have a 2011 Fluidic 1.6D, it does display both. Hence, since yours is the latest, it should display.
Old 4th October 2018, 17:31   #371
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wohroy View Post
I got my Stardust Grey Verna SX 1.6 VTVT MT delivered on 2nd Oct, 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
I have a 2011 Fluidic 1.6D, it does display both. Hence, since yours is the latest, it should display.

Congratulations on your new ride. I too have the same model albeit in black.

No, it doesn't show down shift. Also, if you observe, the up shift comes right at 2K on RPM and goes out if you keep on revving without up-shifting.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 17:38   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. I too have the same model albeit in black.

No, it doesn't show down shift. Also, if you observe, the up shift comes right at 2K on RPM and goes out if you keep on revving without up-shifting.
oh!!
@PetrolRider - Thank you for correcting me.

@Wohroy - My sincere apologies for the wrong information.
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 21:14   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
oh!!
@PetrolRider - Thank you for correcting me.

@Wohroy - My sincere apologies for the wrong information.
Thank you both! No need for apologies here! What we learnt was that the new Verna omitted another feature, albeit a minor one, of the older iteration! At least in the SX version. May be the supervision cluster of SX(O) shows both.
Wohroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 22:59   #374
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm facing a peculiar issue in my Verna which is gonna turn a year old on 11th November, the issue is that I can feel vibrations on my steering wheel when the car is idling. They are pretty noticeable but as soon as the car starts moving they disappear. My Verna is a SX(o) diesel covered approx 7300 Kms. This issue has been there from the start and I didn't find it abnormal until I took one of my close friends Verna for a long drive and until a4anurag pointed it out. Is anyone else facing the same problem? The Hyundai service centre said when I give the car in for its 10000 Kms service they'll replace all the mounts and then see cause apparently that's the only logical explanation to these vibes.

Last edited by CarLoverJosh : 4th October 2018 at 23:01.
Old 5th October 2018, 03:49   #375
AYP
Senior - BHPian

My experience after driving the Verna diesel for about 50kms-

The model was the 1.6E version. The car had run 35K kms and was a Zoomcar.

The positives-

1. The engine-

What a beauty! The way it pulls in the 2nd gear is addictive. Only the VW 1.5 TDI is more explosive than this engine. The pull is strong even in the 4th gear. I remember having driven this engine is the previous gen Elantra and didn't find the engine too exciting. Maybe it was the added weight or maybe it was because I was also comparing it to the Jetta. I could feel that the 0-100 timing of this car was very close to that of the Figo but the Verna gets you there with much more drama due to the turbo kick in the second gear. The 6th gear makes it a relaxed cruiser. The overall drivability is better than my Figo 1.5 diesel.

2. The gearbox-

A smooth shifting unit.

3. Build quality-

Second only to the VW group cars in the segment.

Some neutral points-

1. Steering-

Could have had a better feel. Though it was much better than some other Hyundais I have driven including the Creta.

2. Pedal travel-

I felt that both the clutch and accelerator pedals have a long throw when compared to my ride. This holds true especially for the clutch.

The negatives-

1. The space-

The space at the rear is less than my Figo when I adjust the driver's seat according to my driving position. And that is saying something. Due to the rear seat's more than average recline angle, the fixed rear headrests are more usable than my Figo.

2. The horn-

Meeky, is how I would describe the horn. Only the cats and dogs of the road will give you way with that horn. Pathetic is how I would actually describe the horn.

3. Vibrations and engine noise-

Yes, you read that right. Hyundais are known for their refinement and the 1.6 has been praised enough in this forum for a long time. However, at idle I could instantly notice the high engine noise and the vibration throughout the car including the door handles and the steering wheel. I was actually surprised by this as I was expecting it to be super refined. I remember having test driven the previous gen Elantra with this same engine and the Creta as well. While the Creta felt alright, the Elantra was definitely a very quiet car. The sales person kept repeating about the Elantra's triple insulation or something like that. I had recently driven a friend's Creta 1.4 Crdi and found it much more refined that the Verna 1.6D. As the RPMs build up, the situation gets much better but it was still not as impressive as I thought it would be and the NVH was still higher than my Figo by about 30%.

Is this how refined the Verna diesel actually is? Or was this particular car, a perfect specimen of an abused usage of a rental vehicle? I have seen a couple of posts recently where the owners are not too happy with the NVH level of their Verna diesel.

Anyway, after hopping back into my car, I was missing the turbo surge of the Verna. Also, I was going too hard on the clutch and the accelerator after having driven the Verna. The gearbox required a fair bit more effort to operate than the Verna. That is how the IB5 gearbox is. It is fine on its own, but once you start comparing it to some of its rivals, cracks start to appear in its armour. Having expereinced the Verna's NVH levels, I was super-impressed with the NVH of my car. You can feel the vibrations at idle only if you press your hand firmly against the armrest. The steering has practically zero vibrations. Maybe I have under-estimated the refinement of the 1.5 TDCI since the time I have had this car. Last but not the least, the steering of my Figo felt heavy. Having owned the previous gen Fiesta, maybe a drive in the Verna was needed for me to realise that I drive a Ford after all which is supposed to have a heavy enthusiast oriented steering .

Last edited by AYP : 5th October 2018 at 04:09.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed