Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:00   #496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I tried all the dealers in Gurgaon, plus some in Delhi as well - same standard answers "sir, we only have white and silver". I used to think that people are conservative in their choice of colors as mostly we see only white and silver color cars on our roads. It now feels like it is a somewhat forced choice.

A person like me who absolutely hates dull colors esp. in cars which otherwise have a lot of character, like verna, may end up buying a car that I love in a color that I hate.

I'm more disturbed right now, rather than feeling excited about new car buying. May end up not buying any car.

While I understand your predicament, I think white and silver are good choices for subtle mods. If you were to get a 3M black roof done on white and some subtle touches of black stickering on the ORVMs etc, the car would really look cool. And plus the Verna SX variants anyway come with black diamond cut alloys, and they go very well with any black stickering job that you may do. I wanted to do all of this on the Verna about 8 months back, but I ended up buying a Creta SX 1.6 Diesel instead and there is not much you can do in the Creta, unlike the Verna which I think handles these subtle mods very well.

And plus, Verna looks best in these two shades and may be the grey, which I think is a little dark and difficult to maintain as well. The only bright colours are the orange and a red. We bought a orange i20 for my wife 2 weeks ago and Im not sure orange in a big car like the Verna is a good thing over a long term. You would just get bored. In fact even in my wifeys orange i20 we got the black roof done from 3M right away.
Old 22nd December 2018, 19:59   #497
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Curious to know if anyone has taken delivery of the new SX(O)s with additional wireless charging + telescopic steering. Dealers in Bangalore are referring to the previous generation of SX(O)s (i.e. without wireless charging + telescopic steering) as being "old trim" which was discontinued in October (apparently). Per the sales exec at a prominent dealer, the "new trim" for the ATs at least isn't available for now, and deliveries will commence only in Jan at prices applicable then for any bookings made in Dec'18. There are a handful of old trim SX(O)s available though, and I am tempted to work out a deal for one of those, but wanted to check what the experience of others has been. Any sense of how much dealers are willing to lower prices at this time of the year for the Verna specifically?

Last edited by TNAWAYAJ : 22nd December 2018 at 20:00.
Old 25th December 2018, 11:09   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
3.5 years and still munching miles effortlessly. Running like the day I got her home.
Clutch: Still on stock
Brake Pads: Changed both Front and Rear thrice
Tyres : third set (Yokohama Earth 1 195/55R16)
Service: Regularly every 15,000 kms
Rattles: None so far
Engine: Stock (no remaps etc.). No parts changed wrt to the engine.
You seem to be the perfect candidate to ask this question. I understand the engine, transmission of the previous gen Verna and the current Verna is more or less the same. What I wanted to know how did you preserve the life of the clutch given the torquey nature of the engine which makes the car leap ahead without any accelerator input? I find myself using the clutch all the time to control the vehicle's speed. I am sure this excessive use of the clutch which is similar to clutch riding will kill the clutch plate sooner. Is there a work around for this?

Also I understand there is anti-stall feature in the Verna which prevents the engine from stalling while in lower gears. I control the speed using the brakes in lower gears. I am not sure if this is healthy for the engine.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th December 2018 at 09:40. Reason: Typo
Old 25th December 2018, 11:46   #499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I tried all the dealers in Gurgaon, plus some in Delhi as well - same standard answers "sir, we only have white and silver".

I own a "Black" in Petrol SX trim and here is what I gather from my ordeal with the delivery process.

Factory makes White and Silver mostly and those are pushed to dealers as per monthly quota. Other colors are made to order kind of. So, if you are keen to get something different in color, usual waiting time is 2 months.
Now, there are dealers, who's sales are much better (bigger inventory) and they would not entertain your request on getting particular color. Most of the customer eventually give in for better delivery date. But some smaller / newer dealer might entertain your request. But, mind you, it takes the factory around 6 weeks to get your car made and at-least another fortnight for delivery in a non-peak season. This might be longer for peak season like December. But on a plus side, you would get a freshly made car just for you. This July, I took delivery of a June made car .

Here is my beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-verna_1.jpg  

PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 02:00   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Curious to know if anyone has taken delivery of the new SX(O)s with additional wireless charging + telescopic steering. Dealers in Bangalore are referring to the previous generation of SX(O)s (i.e. without wireless charging + telescopic steering) as being "old trim" which was discontinued in October (apparently). Per the sales exec at a prominent dealer, the "new trim" for the ATs at least isn't available for now, and deliveries will commence only in Jan at prices applicable then for any bookings made in Dec'18. There are a handful of old trim SX(O)s available though, and I am tempted to work out a deal for one of those, but wanted to check what the experience of others has been. Any sense of how much dealers are willing to lower prices at this time of the year for the Verna specifically?
Haven't taken the delivery but booked SX(O) AT Diesel. I broke my head on the fact that no dealer in Bangalore knows what they're selling or that the new one does come with a telescopic steering. Forget that, they didn't even know that an SX(O) was available with AT till very recently. I sat them down and told them about the features of the car, imagine that! I was furious, they didn't do any sales pitch at all.

Here's what's available - No dealer is ready to give the December discounts anymore, production is closed. Only colors available are White and Silver and fast running out I believe. I went to all of them asking for the black color but they told me that I'll have to take the 2019 make which I had to take eventually as I didn't want to compromise either on the variant or the color. Two of them gave up and stopped the booking and told me all offers/discounts will be available as they receive it on Jan 4th. They also told me that the prices are going up by 38-40k.

Here's my understanding (I looked at some past data, but feel free to correct) - 2019 vs 2018 make will make a difference of about Rs 50-60k easy, five years down (in the resale value, provided other factors remain the same) which sort of balances out the December offer. Secondly, monthly offers should still be there - cash discount + Corp discount if any would be 10-20k at the minimum. They told me if I book now, I can take delivery by Jan end(so some priority on the delivery when the factory reopens). The best you can do is negotiate a price protection if some dealer is ready to give that.
jjake47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 10:19   #501
BHPian

Here is what I have to say from my last 15 days of running pillar to post for getting a black Verna (P) SX manual:

1. Hyundai plant has managed to clear all 2018 production stocks on Verna (and I20). Creta and Santro anyways did not have any leftover inventory. Plant is closed not and will reopen in Jan 1st week.

2. Dealers in NCR have also finished their inventory of Verna in all colors except silver/white (mostly "old trims").

3. I have cancelled my booking. Will have to wait for Jan to see if it is still a good deal to buy Verna IF no discounts are on offer and IF prices go up significantly (considering already Ex-showroom is pretty close to 10L, any price increase would take it past the 10L price and taxes slab plus TCS would make the hike even steeper).
Old 26th December 2018, 12:05   #502
BANNED

It is interesting to know, how come Hyundai ran out of a specific profitable model in December. Year ends normally see large number of booking due to hefty discounts. The possible reason could be, IMO
  1. Hyundai failed to predict the possible demand for Verna, which is a bit difficult to believe
  2. For some reason, Hyundai does not want to pass on hefty year end discounts to customers and therefore cut production in December.
But, whatever the reason, this will be resulted in several customer losses to them.

By the way, anyone tried to contact Hyundai sales support or local sales office? Local sales office, sometimes can do wonder.
Old 26th December 2018, 12:13   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
It is interesting to know, how come Hyundai ran out of a specific profitable model in December. Year ends normally see large number of booking due to hefty discounts. The possible reason could be, IMO
  1. Hyundai failed to predict the possible demand for Verna, which is a bit difficult to believe
  2. For some reason, Hyundai does not want to pass on hefty year end discounts to customers and therefore cut production in December.
But, whatever the reason, this will be resulted in several customer losses to them.

By the way, anyone tried to contact Hyundai sales support or local sales office? Local sales office, sometimes can do wonder.
I guess it's more to do with the excellent offers in December which resulted in all inventory getting liquidated (Isn't this the purpose of December offers at the first place?). For example, I got a deal for 9.99L on road with zero dep comprehensive insurance, 4th/5th year extended warranty, basic body care package and accessory package all included (for a car priced at 9.95L ex-showroom).

I do contacted Hyundai customer care/sales support to get any info about any help they can extend to get the car color of my choice. I got a very cold response 'sorry sir, only dealers at your city would be able to help you".
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 14:54   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake47 View Post
Haven't taken the delivery but booked SX(O) AT Diesel. I broke my head on the fact that no dealer in Bangalore knows what they're selling or that the new one does come with a telescopic steering. Forget that, they didn't even know that an SX(O) was available with AT till very recently. I sat them down and told them about the features of the car, imagine that! I was furious, they didn't do any sales pitch at all.

Here's what's available - No dealer is ready to give the December discounts anymore, production is closed. Only colors available are White and Silver and fast running out I believe. I went to all of them asking for the black color but they told me that I'll have to take the 2019 make which I had to take eventually as I didn't want to compromise either on the variant or the color. Two of them gave up and stopped the booking and told me all offers/discounts will be available as they receive it on Jan 4th. They also told me that the prices are going up by 38-40k.

Here's my understanding (I looked at some past data, but feel free to correct) - 2019 vs 2018 make will make a difference of about Rs 50-60k easy, five years down (in the resale value, provided other factors remain the same) which sort of balances out the December offer. Secondly, monthly offers should still be there - cash discount + Corp discount if any would be 10-20k at the minimum. They told me if I book now, I can take delivery by Jan end(so some priority on the delivery when the factory reopens). The best you can do is negotiate a price protection if some dealer is ready to give that.
Yes, i have taken delivery of the updated Crdi SX(O) AT in white. I received the car on 23rd November. As per my knowledge, the first lot of the updated models were made in only white and silver as my first colour choice was brown. A dealership owner who also happens to be a friend says all updated models are scheduled for january last week deliveries as factories are closed for now.

When i was finalising my car, the dealership did inform me that they were getting 2 diesel SX(O) ATs in white. During this process, i got a follow up call from another dealership in haryana telling me they had the same model available for delivery in white if i chose to finalise with them.
Old 28th December 2018, 15:18   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
On 30.03.2018 I took the delivery of Hyundai Verna 1.6D MT SX. The delivery experience at Advaith Hyundai was very smooth. I upgraded the rubber to Yokohama A drive R1 at Madhus. The size I have chosen is 205/55 R16. The OE Tyre was Bridgestone Ecopia.
Can you confirm if this is the official upgrade size? Meaning will it have any warranty concerns if one was to upgrade to this size. My car too have the Ecopia's and am not quite happy with them but not sure if it will void the warranty if I change the tires as I have taken the 4th year warranty from Hyundai as well.
Old 28th December 2018, 17:36   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Can you confirm if this is the official upgrade size? Meaning will it have any warranty concerns if one was to upgrade to this size. My car too have the Ecopia's and am not quite happy with them but not sure if it will void the warranty if I change the tires as I have taken the 4th year warranty from Hyundai as well.
There is nothing called the official upgrade size. 205/55 R16 is the correct upsize for the Verna (base on tyre size calculators) and no, it won't void the warranty. Until you face a major suspension related issue, the service guys won't even bother checking the tyre size.

Is anyone using the LED fog lamps from Hyundai? I was talking to the accessories guy at Advaith and he showed me a H27 LED. There was no proper branding and the box just says LED Headlight. The build quality seems good and comes with 2 years warranty. Wanted to check the feedback before spending Rs.7500
Old 29th December 2018, 10:35   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
There is nothing called the official upgrade size. 205/55 R16 is the correct upsize for the Verna (base on tyre size calculators) and no, it won't void the warranty. Until you face a major suspension related issue, the service guys won't even bother checking the tyre size.
By official I mean if such a tire size is mentioned in the Verna's manual as applicable to the car. My old Civic had the various tire sizes mentioned in the manual which could be installed on the vehicle without hampering the features such as the ABS/EBD/ODO etc. I am not open to online tire calculators unless they are coming from the car manufacturers. One can put oversized tires on their car but they do affect the factors mentioned above.

Quote:
no, it won't void the warranty. Until you face a major suspension related issue, the service guys won't even bother checking the tyre size.
This is the official review for the Verna so have we verified the facts with Hyundai before making this statement. Do you really want people to wait for a suspension issue and have Hyundai come back and say that the warranty is void because one has upsized?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 12:25   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By official I mean if such a tire size is mentioned in the Verna's manual as applicable to the car. My old Civic had the various tire sizes mentioned in the manual which could be installed on the vehicle without hampering the features such as the ABS/EBD/ODO etc. I am not open to online tire calculators unless they are coming from the car manufacturers. One can put oversized tires on their car but they do affect the factors mentioned above.

This is the official review for the Verna so have we verified the facts with Hyundai before making this statement. Do you really want people to wait for a suspension issue and have Hyundai come back and say that the warranty is void because one has upsized?
If you are not open to information outside of the user manual, you shouldn't be even looking at this forum and just ask the manufacturer directly. What I have mentioned is based on my experience of running the upsize for 50k KMs. Of course, that does not gurantee you anything. Forget warranty, if you look at the fine print of the MV Act, most changes could even be termed illegal.

And I have been in this forum long enough to know what statements to make and what not to. So, let us not get into that.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 13:05   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are not open to information outside of the user manual, you shouldn't be even looking at this forum and just ask the manufacturer directly. What I have mentioned is based on my experience of running the upsize for 50k KMs. Of course, that does not gurantee you anything. Forget warranty, if you look at the fine print of the MV Act, most changes could even be termed illegal.

And I have been in this forum long enough to know what statements to make and what not to. So, let us not get into that.
We are not talking about Team BHP which provided unbiased and facts. That is why I am here. This is not some sales oriented online portal which
dishes out information with a eye on revenue like pushing for upsized tires.

It is good you have done 50k kms on the new Verna and not have had any issues. Thank your stars you did not face any issues warranty. I have faced crappy problems with my cars before and I am not taking any chances. My question is simple. Was your upgrade was within manufacturers limits?
Yes or should have been the reply. If no then you took a risk which proved to be safe. Well good for you.

As for making statements. You already declared it won't void any with warranty without giving us facts.

Dear mods, kindly delete this and previous posts if needed.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 14:08   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You already declared it won't void any with warranty...
My Getz D used to run 195/55 R15, and later 185/65 R14. Stock is 175/65 R14 - I have had front struts replaced in warranty due to oil leak with both these sizes.

My Verna used to run 205/55 R16 - stock is 195/55 R16. I had one back strut replaced in warranty while running this size.

While your mileage may vary, I have not heard of Hyundai A.S.S declining warranty due to upsize.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed