Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 08:36   #586
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Has anyone driven the Verna 1.4 petrol? Please share your experience. I'm looking for a petrol car under 11.5 lakhs and have short listed Verna 1.4 petrol EX Variant as it has most of the features I need and it'll also give me a feeling of bigger car as I upgrade from my Figo petrol (five years old)(Yes, I didn't have idea about Ford's petrol car's reputation and I'm totally disappointed with its highway performance). Have not gone for a test drive yet but want to listen from members. Is it fun to drive? What's the mileage and maintenance?
Old 26th February 2019, 09:54   #587
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
I'm looking for a petrol car under 11.5 lakhs and have short listed Verna 1.4 petrol EX Variant as it has most of the features I need and it'll also give me a feeling of bigger car as I upgrade from my Figo petrol (five years old)(Yes, I didn't have idea about Ford's petrol car's reputation and I'm totally disappointed with its highway performance).
If you are looking for a petrol car around the 11.5L mark and features and the big car feel are your primary criteria, then why not consider the Ciaz? The advantages are manifold-

1. You can get the Alpha variant by spending 50k more, and even if you get the Zeta, you will still get many more features over the Verna EX.

2. While I haven't driven the 1.4 petrol, I'd say the Ciaz 1.5 should most probably be better to drive than the 1.4 petrol. Coupled with Ciaz's lighter weight, it should be peppier too.

3. Ciaz will offer you a truer big car experience than the Verna, especially on the inside.

Yes, the Verna has its advantages too, but IMO, unless you can stretch for the SX variant, the Ciaz looks like a better buy.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:22   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone driven the Verna 1.4 petrol? Please share your experience. I'm looking for a petrol car under 11.5 lakhs and have short listed Verna 1.4 petrol EX Variant as it has most of the features I need and it'll also give me a feeling of bigger car as I upgrade from my Figo petrol (five years old)(Yes, I didn't have idea about Ford's petrol car's reputation and I'm totally disappointed with its highway performance). Have not gone for a test drive yet but want to listen from members. Is it fun to drive? What's the mileage and maintenance?
Verna 1.6 SX VTVT is 11.4 L on road here in Gurgaon. YOu may want to check and get into some serious negotiations with the dealer.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 10:45   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
No warranty. It is 4 years and 2 months old done 1.55L kms. Yes I have taken up the matter with Hyundai. Waiting for their response.

I didn’t hit a pothole anywhere, I was on smooth tarmac. NICE Road.
The Hyundai team may not budge, since the car is out of warranty. If they do not budge, have them inspect your car and probably you can take it forward from there. It may help if you know someone from the Hyundai service team, they may be able to provide some insights.

Apart from a manufacturing defect, what else could cause such a thing?

Best of luck.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 26th February 2019 at 10:47.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:44   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacescreamer View Post
You haven't mentioned the a/c factor. But the current season doesn't warrant a/c usage. So if it is indeed without a/c, this sounds less. An avg of around 11 kmpl is definitely expected from a Verna 2018 Petrol MT.

Apologies. This is with constant A/C usage also.
But yes, this seems less.
Old 26th February 2019, 15:11   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
This is with constant A/C usage
I have seen Verna 2018 Manual (petrol) delivering an avg of 11ish in city limits and if speaking abt driving on highways, with refined driving style, it yielded an avg of 15.5 kmpl.

Both these avgs are without A/c usage (winters)

I think petrolrider needs to be summoned here for further comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I have exact same model, 2018 Petrol SX MT. Pure city driving with mad to semi mad traffic in Pune gets me between 10 to 11 KMPL. My source of fuel is Shell normal always. Car has run 7500 KM till date.

My observation, A/C kills the mileage...
Mate, what was your car's avg without a/c in
a) city limits
b) on highways
spacescreamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 15:49   #592
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacescreamer View Post
I think petrolrider needs to be summoned here for further comments

Mate, what was your car's avg without a/c in
a) city limits
b) on highways

Yours summon has been answered.

Sorry for not being elaborate in my response before.

A) My city uses are mostly in break neck traffic, 1hr to cover 14 kms to give you an idea. During summer with a/c (I keep a/c at 22), I could at max stretch to 10.2-10.5 KMPL. In winter with minimal a/c, it can drag up to 10.8-11.2 KMPL.
B) I have rather limited highway blasts recently, but in all I can sum up between 16 to 18 KMPL. Please note, I normally set CC between 90-110 and relax.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 03:28   #593
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a close friend's Verna 1.4 frequently. In terms of Value for money proposition, it's a fabulous buy. I would prefer listing my likes and dislikes so here we go!

• Feels premium inside out, top notch quality throughout.
  • An efficiency of 12.5 - 13 kmpl is fairly decent in city, on the highways at a cruising speed of 100 - 120 it gives out around 17 kmpl
  • Well equipped cabin, one gets all the necessary features.
  • We both have been using Hyundai vehicles from a long time hence the after sales service is absolutely brilliant, atleast in our case due to the relationship built with the dealer.
  • Fairly quick acceleration and we never felt the need of more power both on highways & Urban environment
  • Predictable Handing unlike the Fluidic Verna, feels extremely planted in triple digits.
  • The suspension setup is terrific.

Dislikes
  • The backseat feels cramped with three at the back
  • If you're tall, sitting in the back feels a little claustrophobic. My friend feels so but for me being 5'9" it's perfect.
  • The stock headlights needs an upgrade! The throw is simply not enough for Highway runs.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 07:56   #594
BHPian

Checked for Verna SX(O) MT yesterday with a dealer here. Models of 2018 are all sold out (anyway, I am not keen on them) and there are no offers currently on 2019 models. The only discount they offered is Rs. 10000/- which is from the dealer's insurance kitty.

What can I look for as deal and discounts potentially?

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 1st March 2019 at 07:57.
Old 1st March 2019, 11:33   #595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
The only discount they offered is Rs. 10000/- which is from the dealer's insurance kitty.

I would suggest you to wait for couple of month till the sluggish time to come. You will find some nice deal then. My experience says, apart from year end, the other time to get some good deal is the period from May - August.

Potential discounts can be Corporate/Govt service/Professional discounts, free accessories, free insurance, exchange bonuses etc. and rest depends on your personal bargaining skill.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 13:36   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I think you should wait for few more days, as Holi season is ahead and there will be some festive offer for sure.
gjnnbagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:47   #597
BHPian

I have another doubt. This is regadring the engine and its noise/revving. I have driven four different diesel MT Vernas so far. Three of them were brand new ones, provided to me by dealers for test drives. Some of them had brand new test drive vehicles. And the remaining one was a much used test drive car.

One of the brand new cars that I drove had a noise of revving which was different in tune, pattern, etc, though there was no difference in performance or in noise level. It was as quiet as the Verna diesel engines are in general. Still, it was, simply, not sounding sweet when I accelerated it from first gear itself. It was sounding quiet (as quiet as the engine can be) but like the engine of a two-stroke motorcycle of the old. The other three cars had, on the contrary, a very sweet sounding revving, nice to hear from the driver's seat while driving. The clatter of the diesel engine, though feeling remote, was really good (for those who need little other music).

I had test driven Honda City's i-Dtec too, but rejected it mainly for the way it was. But that too had this motor-cyclish effect I did not drive more of City-s to find out further about it. A Ford Aspire TDCI that I am driving these days has a similar sound.

My doubt is, are these different units inconsistent in tuning of the rev system? While buying, how can I specify about this to the dealer/SA? Any inputs.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 2nd March 2019 at 09:56.
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:52   #598
BHPian

Can someone kindly confirm if the 2019 Verna Petrol SX(O) AT come with the front bonnet insulation. The original review by team-bhp says both the petrol and diesel comes with the front bonnet insulation under the hood, but the sales rep i had a chat with today while test driving the car mentioned the petrol does not come with the bonnet insulation, only the diesel does.
Old 2nd March 2019, 16:09   #599
BHPian

Posting my question again, I want to upgrade to the higher model Anroid Auto head unit. Any pointers on how much will it cost from Hyundai? If too expensive, can it be sourced from somewhere else?
Old 2nd March 2019, 16:27   #600
Senior - BHPian

Another question to Verna owners: How does one reset the trip meter? Per the manual, one needs to press the trip button on the steering wheel to toggle through both trip meters, but I don't see one on the SX(o) version. Perhaps that is because that version has more buttons, but certainly the one labelled 'Trip' is missing.

Also, how does one tilt the sunroof? I know how to move it fore and aft, but not sure of how to tilt it.

Most Viewed