Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:59   #646
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Congratulations, I took mine a day before you did :-)
Great! Congrats to you too!
There is no "beep" in Verna at 80 kmph yet I heard it is already introduced in the Creta's top model on an experiment basis, but with an option to turn it off too.
And I felt that turbo is truly at work only from around the 75 - 80 kmph. I mean, one can enjoy the turbo at work from this level, though it works a little before that itself.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 2nd April 2019 at 12:02.
Old 2nd April 2019, 13:46   #647
Senior - BHPian

Did some DIY on my car - Chrome delete.

There's a lot of chrome on cars sold in India - Verna was no exception. I disliked the overdose of chrome on the grill and the fog lamp enclosure, so deleted them.

Used black matte vinyl, cutting blade, sqeegee, Isopropyl alcohol and a hair dryer and 1 person day of effort, here's how it looks:

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-psx_20190309_154647.jpg
clevermax is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:32   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Great! Congrats to you too!
There is no "beep" in Verna at 80 kmph yet I heard it is already introduced in the Creta's top model on an experiment basis, but with an option to turn it off too.
And I felt that turbo is truly at work only from around the 75 - 80 kmph. I mean, one can enjoy the turbo at work from this level, though it works a little before that itself.
Yes, that was the first thing I checked too, no annoying beeps on 80+, I typically like to cruise between 90 ~ 100 Kmph and really did not want the annoying beep. I dont intend to push the car past 120Kmph any time soon, so wont know about the 120Kmph+ beep. However what I find annoying is the honks with lock / unlock, is there a way to disable it (Sorry I have not gone through the past posts yet).
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:43   #649
BHPian

Quote:
I dont intend to push the car past 120Kmph any time soon, so wont know about the 120Kmph+ beep. However what I find annoying is the honks with lock / unlock, is there a way to disable it (Sorry I have not gone through the past posts yet).
There is someone here in a past post who has recommended how to disable it. I find it a bit cheap, in fact.

I also find that the blower/AC fan noise, even while kept at minimum, is on the higher side (of course, compared to my Fiesta). It is heard all the time (may be because the engine is even quieter?).
Old 4th April 2019, 03:00   #650

Quote:
Yes, that was the first thing I checked too, no annoying beeps on 80+, I typically like to cruise between 90 ~ 100 Kmph and really did not want the annoying beep. I dont intend to push the car past 120Kmph any time soon, so wont know about the 120Kmph+ beep. However what I find annoying is the honks with lock / unlock, is there a way to disable it (Sorry I have not gone through the past posts yet).
Got my SX(O) AT (CRDi) on Mar 1st. Black beauty it is. No Annoying beep at 80+, neither at 120+. I think they're supposed to kick in starting July manufactured units. Mine is feb manufactured (as per VIN).

Here are some random things that caught me off guard and some observations (in no particular order), probably might help someone -

1. "Clean air" on the climate control is not there in 2019 make. Don't know if they removed just the sticker or the whole module. Didn't see it switching from circulation to external mode, so I'm assuming they threw the whole console out.
2. Steering gets tilt and telescopic (no dealer could confirm when I booked, thankfully I read and trusted the Hyundai website before taking a decision)
3. The sales and delivery experience was horrible (I have written to HMIL and dealers) and it seems to be a story with most dealers in Bangalore (Service experience is also bad, not sure if I'm an outlier here, because I see a lot of praise for Hyundai service on this forum. I'm comparing it with Ford exp, which is superb)
4. Smart trunk is really annoying, opens every time you come near it (especially when you're trying to talk while keeping your tea on the boot.
5. When your vehicle gets registered for fastag, you'll get two messages. One is your account number and the other one is your tag number (and there's no way to tell which is which). You can have multiple tags linked to one account. Did not know that. Also, do not recharge it via UPI (from the fastag app) till your account is linked to your number plate. Initially it'll be linked to your VIN. Recharge it online from your bank specific site. Also you have to activate the account (register) before you can recharge it. Rs 200 that are added initially can still be used without any of the above though.
6. I was given just the plate with no proof of the number, not even a receipt that will link that number to my car. My SA told me that only link will be the RC when it comes. At this point, I'm driving around the car with just the invoice, I'm made to believe that's enough
7. Burnt my fingers (literally) at two places - opening the hood (after being in the sun for a bit) and trying to pull the rear windshield screen with its top rod. Gets really hot, be careful
8. Sunroof is surprisingly very very cool, I'm enjoying it albeit only at night
9. Mileage is around 15 on highway runs and about 9 in peak traffic (heavy-ish right foot)
10. Cruise control works flawlessly (fun, though scary to use on Indian highways). Surprisingly, i got better mileage while driving manually than while using it.
11. IND plates cost extra Rs 2000 (they told me plates don't cost anything extra)
12. It does get confused with gears at times, but city driving takes feather light touches, very eager to fly
13. I find the storage to be low. Wireless charger space can only accommodate a cellphone and neither the car key nor coins can be kept there. Only sensible place for coins is the arm rest storage. Also, can't turn off wireless charger, there's no off button anywhere (or if there is, I can't find it). One of the cup holder is taken up by the swatch can, the other is fairly useless. You can drop coins there but they'll keep rattling
14. OEM headlights do not light up the road ahead enough at night. Need an upgrade
15. Can comfortably do triple digit speeds, feels fairly stable and agile
16. Comfortable cruiser, the ventilated seats are a boon, chills the whole seat (no back sweat in 40 degree weather)
17. Android auto works great as long as there's network. Gets disconnected if you enter a shady area so you lose navigation as soon as that happens, keep a back-up if you're going to rural/hilly areas with patchy network
18. Built in navigation is simply fantastic, tells you the exact lane, over/underpass at every junction. Better than google maps in fact, if only it had the traffic updates
19. Steering is super light at parking speeds (read annoyingly light, have to turn it way too much for one hand manoeuver)
20. ICE is great. Will please everyone, don't know how it manages to make the sound seem like it's coming from the central console, feels like magic.
21. I found the brakes to be decent, initial bite is missing and takes some getting used to, but very able once you get the hang of it.
22. Is a looker. Looks stunning from every angle. Personally, I'm smitten by the rear lamps
23. No decent place to put my fav 'Live to drive' team-bhp sticker (too curvy at places or will mess with rear parking sensors). Stuck it below the rear reflectors
24. Rear camera quality at night is okay, can live with it, does its job.
jjake47 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 11:47   #651
BHPian

Good summary, I got the CRDI SX(O) AT too, from the March batch. Here is some add on to your observations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake47 View Post
1. "Clean air" on the climate control is not there in 2019 make. Don't know if they removed just the sticker or the whole module. Didn't see it switching from circulation to external mode, so I'm assuming they threw the whole console out.
The Hyundai service vehicle service report for my VIN says, the Eco Coating is still available, I believe its the same as 'Clean Air'

Quote:
4. Smart trunk is really annoying, opens every time you come near it (especially when you're trying to talk while keeping your tea on the boot.
+1 to that, I disabled it from the service console.

Quote:
6. I was given just the plate with no proof of the number, not even a receipt that will link that number to my car. My SA told me that only link will be the RC when it comes. At this point, I'm driving around the car with just the invoice, I'm made to believe that's enough
You can use parivahan.nic.in to get the details of the registration, but am not able to find a way to print the receipt though I have been able to verify the tax paid receipt. you need to chase the dealer to get a copy of the registration receipt.

Quote:
9. Mileage is around 15 on highway runs and about 9 in peak traffic (heavy-ish right foot)
Similar experience

Quote:
12. It does get confused with gears at times, but city driving takes feather light touches, very eager to fly
+1 to that, the other thing i noticed is some unusal engine clatter at lower speeds, similar to one when you try to drive an manual at low speed at higher gear ratio, but it goes away once it reaches optimal driving speeds. Any experience here ?

Quote:
14. OEM headlights do not light up the road ahead enough at night. Need an upgrade
+1 to this again, I read good things about the OEM headlight in the review, but it is only as good as my Vento or maybe marginally better, but vento is considered to have poor lighting.

Quote:
24. Rear camera quality at night is okay, can live with it, does its job.
Rear camera is poor in poor lighting conditions IMO but as you rightly mentioned it gets the basic job done.
Old 4th April 2019, 14:52   #652

Quote:
Good summary, I got the CRDI SX(O) AT too, from the March batch. Here is some add on to your observations...

+1 to that, the other thing i noticed is some unusal engine clatter at lower speeds, similar to one when you try to drive an manual at low speed at higher gear ratio, but it goes away once it reaches optimal driving speeds. Any experience here ?
Congrats on getting your car.

Clatter is something I haven't noticed, seems to be quite refined that way. My experience is actually on the other end of that spectrum, I end up pushing it a little bit and hear the high revv sound instead, even when i'm not expecting it. Haven't really noticed any lugging that you seem to mention.

I also noticed vibrations on the steering wheel on traffic stops. That also is not consistent, doesn't always happen and goes away as soon as you pick up some speed.

Cool thing I noticed just today morning. The DRLs switch off when you put the car in Neutral and pull on the hand brakes. Come back on when you release the hand brake.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:23   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10. Cruise control works flawlessly (fun, though scary to use on Indian highways). Surprisingly, i got better mileage while driving manually than while using it.
I have AT (D), and I find CC to be extremely useful even in regular roads. The fact that you can engage it from 30 kmph (well, actually from 28 kmph) is really making it useful for Indian conditions. With a manual transmission, Cruise Control usage is significantly less as observed.

I use it a lot - even a 200m clear stretch in front of me is enough for me to engage it if I am driving sedately. I don't know why many find it scary(!) because even the lightest tap on the brake pedal is going to disengage the CC. (Or the cancel button press, or gear change in MT).

In a highway, it is so convenient to just press "Resume" button and relax while the car changes gears and catches up speed to reach the previously set cruising speed, after every occasional slowdown that you encounter.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:32   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Used black matte vinyl, cutting blade, sqeegee, Isopropyl alcohol and a hair dryer and 1 person day of effort, here's how it looks:

Attachment 1864897
Your car looks really neat, specially that lovely colour. I would like to delete the Chrome on my car too but it is already black in colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Which LED Bulbs have you used. I would like to replace my stock setup too but the range of bulbs on offer is very confusing.

Please suggest.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th April 2019 at 11:10. Reason: Back to back posts.
ashish2135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 14:33   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
Which LED Bulbs have you used. I would like to replace my stock setup too but the range of bulbs on offer is very confusing.

Please suggest.
They are not LED bulbs. They are LED Projectors. I have opened up the headlights and swapped out the halogen projectors with the LED Projectors. LED bulbs are useless.

Have a look here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4497815 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
Old 5th April 2019, 22:20   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Did some DIY on my car - Chrome delete.

There's a lot of chrome on cars sold in India - Verna was no exception. I disliked the overdose of chrome on the grill and the fog lamp enclosure, so deleted them.

Attachment 1864897

Those number plates are classy, where did you get them made ? Interestingly it doesnt seem to be bolted down either, double side tapes ?
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 11:40   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those number plates are classy, where did you get them made ? Interestingly it doesnt seem to be bolted down either, double side tapes ?
Hey thanks. I really wanted a good looking number plate which matches the space provisioned for the plate on the grill. I had to go around the town and visit 5 number plate shops to get this done. Every regular number plate shop sells what's hot, that is the usual "Euro" type plates as they call it. I also had one of them in the front, but it looked a bit odd considering its size. I wanted to have a thinner one.

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-dsc_0788.jpg

This plate is bought for Rs 400 from a shop near my home in Trivandrum. I fixed it using 3M double sided stickers. Using 3M stickers is much better than bolting it, for aesthetic reasons as well as for reliability of the fixture. I have a number plate fixed on my other car with 3M stickers, and it's been 8 years - if you try it pull it off, it is definitely going to come off tearing that portion of the bumper as well

After the chrome delete, car looks so much better! With all that chrome, it looked yuck! Disclaimer: Yes, looks are subjective!

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-psx_20190331_174944.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 7th April 2019 at 11:52.
clevermax is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 14:02   #658
BHPian

It been a week since I got my SX(O) AT (D) delivered and its covered 1280Kms. I have had 2 Vento TDI Manuals before this. one from initial 2010 batch and one from the 2013 batch. And here are my observations...

Positive:
- Good looks & well appointed interiors
- Relatively quiet cabin specially while cruising on highways
- Nice audio unit
- Ride quality is decent, specially in comparison to the nasty Thud I had in the 2013 Vento
- Thankfully no beeps yet in the 80+ / 120+ zone

Negatives:
- Spongy brakes
- Rear seating space
- The auto box is not friendly towards a medium to heavy right foot
- The naked wheel wells result in irritating noise with gravel being thrown up to the bare metal
- The car gets a bit nervous in curve cornering even at 90+ speeds
- The cabin is really quiet when I drive at 90ish on cruise control.

Observations:
- Clearly this is for a sedate driver not the enthusiastic one (I cannot speak for the manual)
- I really miss that whooping acceleration I had in the TDIs, overtaking was always a breeze, I had to plan overtaking with the 1.6 CRDI Auto. Interestingly my wife who is a simple point A to point B driver had this observation.
- The headlights is not excellent as mentioned in the review, its definitely above average and marginally better than the Vento's stock units, but excellent is not the word I will use specially for night time highway drives
- I also disagree partially to the observation in review that the engine is refined. While well contained its as loud as the TDI during acceleration period, It however gets a bit more quieter than the TDI's in the cruise period.
- The suspensions are marginally better than my 2013 Vento but not as good as my 2010 Vento

Worries:
- I hear a mild knocking sound when accelerating (not the diesel clatter). I had mentioned this a few posts above too and another user has posted a new thread about it the 'Under the hoods section'
- The more worrisome part is the observation I had yesterday. There is a mild whine / whistle that I hear when I accelerate with anything above a gentle foot. Its like a turbo whistle and it tapers off once I reach the speed and start cruising. But I can hear it distinctly every single time while doing above average acceleration between 40Kmph to 90Kmph in highway run. Its proportional to the engine RPM so sort of goes up and falls down in tandem with the rev needle. But as pointed out, once I start cruising its completely gone, neither is it distinctly audible with a very gentle foot. Its also not audible once the audio is turned up and I couldn't observe it when I park the car and simply give acceleration input letting the engine hit 2K+ RPMs. I observed it only yesterday night on my way back when the wife was sleeping and I had switched off the music. I switched off the air-conditioning unit to rule it out. Clearly its the engine and I hear it distinctly from the right hand side upfront, from my drivers seating position. However there is no evident issue with regards to the performance of the car. Am not sure if this is specific to the CRDI auto box or if its a known thing with the CRDI's. Anyone observe this, should I be worried about it ? I really do not want to hand over a brand new car to the service station unless I have to.

Last edited by SR-71 : 8th April 2019 at 14:16.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 02:04   #659
BHPian

Hey guys, so it's been a while since I've posted anything on this thread since I was busy, but here's a small update!

My 2017 Hyundai Verna SX(o) CRDi got a Quantum Tuning UK remap by GT TUNERZ, along with a BMC Direct Intake Airsystem and a set of Continental ULTRA CONTACT 6 tyres.

The figures are as follows-
Stock-
BHP- 128
Torque- 259 NM

After remap-
BHP- 165 BHP
Torque- 325 NM

As you can make out from the figures, this is an aggressive map, known as the Quantum Red Map. They have three sorts of maps available,
Green- targeted mainly towards increasing fuel efficiency
Blue- a sort of stage 1 map
Red- a sort of stage 1+ map which is aggressive.

I went for the Red one

Driving impressions-
The car's responsiveness has increased quite a bit, and there is absolutely no turbo lag, the spread of torque in the map and the DIA have helped in this aspect.

The mid-range is absolutely brutal, and the car spins it's wheels ( 205/55/R16 Continentals ) in second gear all the way to the redline and there's a bit of wheelspin when you upshift to 3rd gear as well.

The top end has improved as well but not that much, after 4600-4700 rpm, there's a noticeable drop in torque but it still pulls cleanly till 5000 rpm.

Yes, there is smoke in second and third gears ( not too much ) which can definitely harm the engine and the EGR along with the turbo as well in the long run, but my driving isn't too aggressive and especially after the remap I barely go full throttle because there's more than required torque being delivered at half throttle itself for most overtakes hence I'm very very content with this map.

The tyres have made a huge difference in the way the car drives and the way it carries itself around corners. Under hard braking, the cars confidence has improved dramatically and so has mine, road noise is barely there and it has more than enough grip around corners. Overall, very happy with the tyres and I chose them over the Pilot Sport 4s because i felt the Michelins were a slight overkill for this car, and also Michelin P4ST wasn't available in my budget, hence why went for these tyres. Definitely recommended for those who aren't looking for just outright handling and also have other needs such as ride comfort, less road noise and balanced handling. This is a cheaper P4ST in a way, and for those on a tighter budget should go for these.

I've also made some minor visual mods and changes to the lighting of the car, here's a small list of all the mods done to the car so far-

Performance mods-

1) Stage 1 Quantum Tuning UK Red Map

2) BMC Direct Intake Airsystem

Tyre upgrade -

1) Continental ULTRA CONTACT 6 tyres 205/55/R16

Lighting upgrade

1) 35W Osram HIDs for the headlights

2) DAPS LED lights for the fog lights

3) Rear reflector lights

Other visual mods-

1) Front Chrome Delete ( grill slats and fog lamp surrounds )

2) Outer rear view mirrors wrapped in Metallic Gloss Black wrap.

3) Lower lip of the front bumper wrapped in
Metallic Gloss Black wrap.

Here's how my baby looks as of right now

From the front

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-front.jpg

From the rear

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-rear.jpg

And this is the hidden sticker placement

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-20190411_013801.jpg

Overall, 90K well spent on the car ( all the mods ). Feel free to ask me any questions/queries you have regarding the car or the remap experience itself.
Note: I am in now way associated with GT TUNERZ or Quantum Tuning UK.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 17:59   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Hey guys, so it's been a while since I've posted anything on this thread since I was busy, but here's a small update!

My 2017 Hyundai Verna SX(o) CRDi got a Quantum Tuning UK remap by GT TUNERZ, along with a BMC Direct Intake Airsystem and a set of Continental ULTRA CONTACT 6 tyres.
Congrats! What about EGR? Soft deleted?
I was contemplating on an ECU remap for quite some time, but waiting for that impulse to make the final decision!

And the typical Indian car user's question: Has the FE figures dropped to single digits?

Most Viewed