Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 16:48   #826
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

What speeds were you maintaining? I maintained ~100 kmph consistently once and got ~26 KMPL IIRC. Have never seen 28!!
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:09   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
What speeds were you maintaining? I maintained ~100 kmph consistently once and got ~26 KMPL IIRC. Have never seen 28!!
I had maintained 80 - 100 kmph in both the journey. I seldom get hard on accelerator in those trips.
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:03   #828
BHPian

Hello folks Seasons ' Greetings!

I am in the market for a

fully loaded automatic sedan with full safety kit I.e 6 air bags abs ebd disk brakes etc

Fun to drive and good to look

Good A S S and easy to maintain

I have test driven the Yarris which ticks most of the boxes but has me worried on resale and possible model being discontinued due to the poor sales figures

The Verna petrol at Sx(o) and Diesel At sx(o) seem to fit the bill.
I wanted your advice which is better?
I don't bother too much with FE as I want to enjoy my ride!

Also any pointers of how is Advaith Hyundai as dealer in Bangalore would also be helpful!

Thanks in advance! 🙏
Old 4th October 2019, 10:24   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post

I am in the market for a

fully loaded automatic sedan with full safety kit I.e 6 air bags abs ebd disk brakes etc

Fun to drive and good to look

Good A S S and easy to maintain

I have test driven the Yarris which ticks most of the boxes but has me worried on resale and possible model being discontinued due to the poor sales figures

Also any pointers of how is Advaith Hyundai as dealer in Bangalore would also be helpful!

Thanks in advance! 🙏
Best wishes in advance!

I own a Verna SX(0) Diesel. Almost 21 months now and I have clocked close to 31000 kms. My preference was Diesel as I get out a lot.

As far the ownership, I haven't had any major niggles with the car. Changed my disk (under warranty) as I had a bit of vibration while on highway breaking. Mild rattling (which we can live with) though I say ASS every time to fix and they never get rid of this.

I felt diesel engine is much refined, torquay and it's quiet a fun to push and rev when compared to the petrol engine.

My dealership is Trident Hyundai (Bangalore, Whitefield). I had a worst experience with the sales as well as service with them. Ask me, I would say no to Trident (but it's just my opinion) Even I am planning to try my luck with Advaith in my next service.

As far as I know all the dealership is almost the same unless we build a relationship with the service and sales executive we don't get the 100% satisfaction with the service they offer. I am still trying to find that one reliable service executive with whom I am build a rapport

Hope this helps.

Last edited by hardilip : 4th October 2019 at 10:28. Reason: Corrected the spellings.
hardilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 13:11   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
Best wishes in advance!

I own a Verna SX(0) Diesel. Almost 21 months now and I have clocked close to 31000 kms. My preference was Diesel as I get out a lot.

As far the ownership, I haven't had any major niggles with the car. Changed my disk (under warranty) as I had a bit of vibration while on highway breaking. Mild rattling (which we can live with) though I say ASS every time to fix and they never get rid of this.

I felt diesel engine is much refined, torquay and it's quiet a fun to push and rev when compared to the petrol engine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks it certainly does!

I wanted to check on a couple of more points:

1) What are standard accessories if any we should go for?
2) Did you think of upgrading the tyres? Is 195/R16 sufficient ? I had a Linea T-Jet before and it was a 205/R16 hence the question!
3) How do you find the braking ? Any concerns there? In my Linea T-Jet with 4 disc brakes it was quite confidence inspiring!

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2019 at 15:46. Reason: breaks = brakes
Old 4th October 2019, 17:48   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Best wishes in advance!

Changed my disk (under warranty) as I had a bit of vibration while on highway breaking. Mild rattling (which we can live with) though I say ASS every time to fix and they never get rid of this.

Hope this helps.
Are you referring to the rattling that you get from doors? I have the same issue from both driver's and passenger's doors. The problem is with the glass vibrating at the base of the window. I confirmed this by pushing the glass slightly and it totally vanished.

Experts, any thoughts on attaching some damping material or something else at the base of the window to avoid this?? Thanks in advance!
Old 5th October 2019, 17:53   #832

Hello dear Verna fraternity,
This is my first post on Team-BHP, so kindly pardon any errors or inadvertent violation of policies in my post.

I lost my beloved Brio to the mini floods in Mumbai in August and joined team mid-sized sedan after purchasing the New Hyundai Verna SX+AT Petrol in September. The car has done about 500 km so far and the mileage has been a rather off-putting 8 kmpl.

Is this figure a result of a new engine and can I expect it to get better post the first service at 1500 km? I'm a fairly gentle driver and press the gas like I would if there were an egg underneath.

I understand that FE is not Verna's USP but I find 8 kmpl rather impractical.
The car has otherwise been a joy!
Old 5th October 2019, 19:40   #833
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance! ��
I've a SX+ diesel automatic. I got my car from Trident and experience wasn't good. Advait seems to be much better based on my interaction with them (I had booked cars from both dealers but Advait didn't have the colour i was looking for).

So far haven't had any issues with the car (car is around 5k kms old).
Seems to be well put together and the Diesel engine and GB combo is perfect for City drives. Highway drives are great too but personally i feel steering is a bit numb at times. Quick direction changes can be at times become guessing games. YMMV based on which car you're coming from.

I understand you're not bothered much about FE but the combination of Hyundai petrol engine and torque converter GB can return some really low FE figures. My diesel auto returns around 10.5 kmpl in Bangalore traffic and around 15+ kmpl on Highway drives.

Hope it helps. All the best.

Edit:
Tyres: upgraded to 205/55 section on delivery.
Brakes: brakes are ok, I think I'm still getting used to them. At times they seem direct but sometimes they are spongy. Definitely this car demands better brakes (especially in auto guise)

Last edited by somspaple : 5th October 2019 at 19:47.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 21:54   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks it certainly does!

I wanted to check on a couple of more points:

1) What are standard accessories if any we should go for?
2) Did you think of upgrading the tyres? Is 195/R16 sufficient ? I had a Linea T-Jet before and it was a 205/R16 hence the question!
3) How do you find the braking ? Any concerns there? In my Linea T-Jet with 4 disc brakes it was quite confidence inspiring!
1) I haven't taken any accessories. Post delivery I got it done
  • 3M Anti rust coating
  • 3M Nomad Mats
  • Sunroof and door cuff paint protection
  • Silencer Coating
  • TPU cover for the key from amazon

2) I have got Hankook with mine, I felt 195/R16 is good enough to continue. When I am done with Hankook, I am planning to consider 205/R16

3) I am coming from Honda City (prior to Verna), I still don't feel as reliable as I was with City but in Verna, they are doing the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Are you referring to the rattling that you get from doors? I have the same issue from both driver's and passenger's doors. The problem is with the glass vibrating at the base of the window. I confirmed this by pushing the glass slightly and it totally vanished.

Experts, any thoughts on attaching some damping material or something else at the base of the window to avoid this?? Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the reply.

I have rattling in 3 different areas,
  1. Somewhere below the steering (heard on bad roads)
  2. On the driver or co-passenger door (doesn't rattle always)
  3. From the sunroom interior cover (rattling is heard till I give a hard push on the cover)

Having said that, they don't bother me at all anyways. Unless I drive with music off and roads are calm, I will hear one of these rattle.

I had Honda City earlier where rattle was my biggest concern as they were much noticeable definitely it's not a case with Verna.

In my service I keep saying all the three to them, they also respond me back saying they have fixed. The feeling is mutual till now, I also know they wouldn't have done anything to fix it and they will also know the didn't even give it a try. Because they are not any loud I am okay with it.

But thanks for your input, in my next service I will take your solution to ASS and ask for a fix.

Weekend... Yet another drive and good FE.
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20191005_100835.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2019 at 12:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi quote option (Quote+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 6th October 2019, 07:27   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocksride View Post
Woah! Is that an Automatic? Petrol or diesel?
Mine is Manual - Diesel.
Old 6th October 2019, 21:15   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
I've a SX+ diesel automatic. I got my car from Trident and experience wasn't good. Advait seems to be much better based on my interaction with them (I had booked cars from both dealers but Advait didn't have the colour i was looking for).

So far haven't had any issues with the car (car is around 5k kms old).
Seems to be well put together and the Diesel engine and GB combo is perfect for City drives. Highway drives are great too but personally i feel steering is a bit numb at times. Quick direction changes can be at times become guessing games. YMMV based on which car you're coming from.

I understand you're not bothered much about FE but the combination of Hyundai petrol engine and torque converter GB can return some really low FE figures. My diesel auto returns around 10.5 kmpl in Bangalore traffic and around 15+ kmpl on Highway drives.

Hope it helps. All the best.

Edit:
Tyres: upgraded to 205/55 section on delivery.
Brakes: brakes are ok, I think I'm still getting used to them. At times they seem direct but sometimes they are spongy. Definitely this car demands better brakes (especially in auto guise)

Thank you for the details and the good wishes!

It is really helpful to know the challenges particularly from the safety perspective.
Old 6th October 2019, 21:19   #837
BHPian

Quote:
1) I haven't taken any accessories. Post delivery I got it done
  • 3M Anti rust coating
  • 3M Nomad Mats
  • Sunroof and door cuff paint protection
  • Silencer Coating
  • TPU cover for the key from amazon

2) I have got Hankook with mine, I felt 195/R16 is good enough to continue. When I am done with Hankook, I am planning to consider 205/R16

3) I am coming from Honda City (prior to Verna), I still don't feel as reliable as I was with City but in Verna, they are doing the job.

]

Thanks a lot for the details! I guess I will also follow up on the accessories as a second step.
Old 7th October 2019, 23:21   #838
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone used "Osram HB3 Night Breaker Laser Duo Box 9005 NBL- HCB light Next GEN" on Verna? Any reviews on the same is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2019, 15:40   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Has anyone used "Osram HB3 Night Breaker Laser Duo Box 9005 NBL- HCB light Next GEN" on Verna? Any reviews on the same is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I haven't used it, however I was researching on a headlamp bulb upgrade.

I have only one option left, LEDs. Gave up on HIDs and Halogens.

Why not Halogens - bulbs like OSRAM Night-breaker Laser will definitely be brighter than the stock bulbs and they are so easy to replace - just a 10 minute job. However, the reason why I am not considering them is the bulb's life. OSRAM says that the Night-breaker Laser bulbs have a Lifespan B3 of 150 hours and Lifespan TC of 300 hours. Lifespan B3 means 97% of the bulbs in a test would still be functioning after 150 hours. Lifespan TC is around 67% or so. These values are less compared to LEDs and HIDs.

Why not HIDs - The projector in Verna is made to suit a halogen bulb and not an HID. HID bulbs tend to be longer than halogens and it may not produce the ideal beam pattern when used with a projector which is made for halogens. It is always advisable to upgrade to an HID system with the whole kit including the projector.

Why LEDs - They are bright. They don't heat up as much. They have good lifespan.
LEDs come with its own challenges though - It is difficult to find find the right bulb. Some people have used LEDs which have emitting diodes placed 180 degrees apart on the stem. The beam pattern in Verna's projector was seen to be messed up in those trials - the high beam wasn't strong enough and was scattered.

There are 360 degree LEDs, they have emitting diodes places all around the stem. Some have 4, some have 8 and some have even more plates arranged in a polygonal shape around the stem. This last category of lamps try to mimic a HB3 halogen bulb's emitting pattern. If you use the right model, which has its emitters placed exactly at the same length from the base of the bulb compared to the halogen lamp, you should get a proper beam pattern which is significantly brighter than the stock halogen!

Last edited by clevermax : 11th October 2019 at 15:48.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 18:19   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I haven't used it, however I was researching on a headlamp bulb upgrade.

This last category of lamps try to mimic a HB3 halogen bulb's emitting pattern. If you use the right model, which has its emitters placed exactly at the same length from the base of the bulb compared to the halogen lamp, you should get a proper beam pattern which is significantly brighter than the stock halogen!
Do keep us posted on your progress. Even I am thinking of an upgrade. Thanks in advance!
ramradcliff is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed