Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2019, 08:23   #841

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

After checking out Yaris, City, Rapid and Verna I have decided to go for Verna petrol VTVT sx (o). Wife insisted on six airbags. I don’t want an auto transmission anymore. Doesn’t make sense to get diesel since I don’t drive so much. Letting go of a civic to get this car.
Got some nice discounts too - 40k plus some accessories from the dealer and 70k from Goa goverment.
Old 12th October 2019, 11:46   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I haven't used it, however I was researching on a headlamp bulb upgrade.

I have only one option left, LEDs. Gave up on HIDs and Halogens.

Why not Halogens - bulbs like OSRAM Night-breaker Laser will definitely be brighter than the stock bulbs and they are so easy to replace - just a 10 minute job. However, the reason why I am not considering them is the bulb's life. OSRAM says that the Night-breaker Laser bulbs have a Lifespan B3 of 150 hours and Lifespan TC of 300 hours. Lifespan B3 means 97% of the bulbs in a test would still be functioning after 150 hours. Lifespan TC is around 67% or so. These values are less compared to LEDs and HIDs.
This is been running in my mind quite some time but somehow I am not able to zero in on anything. Finally I have got the "OSRAM Night-breaker Laser" as it was available in Amazon for its lowest price ever (2500/-). I wasn't completely convinced on OSRAM Night-breaker Laser but like you I have been reading about it and not able to decide on anything on a bigger budget. As this was not a bigger investment and it was selling at it cheapest price ever thought I will give it a try!
hardilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 07:42   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocksride View Post
Hello dear Verna fraternity,
This is my first post on Team-BHP, so kindly pardon any errors or inadvertent violation of policies in my post.

I lost my beloved Brio to the mini floods in Mumbai in August and joined team mid-sized sedan after purchasing the New Hyundai Verna SX+AT Petrol in September. The car has done about 500 km so far and the mileage has been a rather off-putting 8 kmpl.

Is this figure a result of a new engine and can I expect it to get better post the first service at 1500 km? I'm a fairly gentle driver and press the gas like I would if there were an egg underneath.

I understand that FE is not Verna's USP but I find 8 kmpl rather impractical.
The car has otherwise been a joy!
Welcome to TeamBHP. Sorry to hear about your loss during floods, it's rather unfortunate.

I have SX(O)AT Petrol. The car has done 10k+ and with bumper to bumper traffic in Hyderabad, I get 6-8 kmpl. Normal city driving gets me 10 kmpl and highway driving 15-18 kmpl. When the car was new I used to get a bit lower figures and efficiency has improved since but is still lower than what I expected. However, given 1.6 CC engine, AT, absolute driving comfort and luxurious feel, I have come to terms with it. My wife and I go for (very)long drive once a year and also tag our little daughter along, Verna keeps us comfortable throughout.
realcoolhand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 13:07   #844

Firstly - I must admit I'm relieved to meet a fellow petrol AT owner at long last! Almost every AT owner I see drives the diesel which has slightly different driving dynamics and better FE for sure!

And thank you for the information too. I agree that the car is a joy and pulls like a breeze! Waiting for that long drive still. Trying to convince my wife that I won't fall asleep driving an automatic on the highway. The last time we did a 200 mile drive by the east coast in NY, I fell asleep for a brief 5 seconds in our Corolla. Thanks to the Corolla's collision detection system and lane change detection system, we were saved that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcoolhand View Post
Welcome to TeamBHP. Sorry to hear about your loss during floods, it's rather unfortunate.

I have SX(O)AT Petrol. The car has done 10k+ and with bumper to bumper traffic in Hyderabad, I get 6-8 kmpl. Normal city driving gets me 10 kmpl and highway driving 15-18 kmpl. When the car was new I used to get a bit lower figures and efficiency has improved since but is still lower than what I expected. However, given 1.6 CC engine, AT, absolute driving comfort and luxurious feel, I have come to terms with it. My wife and I go for (very)long drive once a year and also tag our little daughter along, Verna keeps us comfortable throughout.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:59   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Do keep us posted on your progress. Even I am thinking of an upgrade. Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
This is been running in my mind quite some time but somehow I am not able to zero in on anything. Finally I have got the "OSRAM Night-breaker Laser" as it was available in Amazon for its lowest price ever (2500/-). I wasn't completely convinced on OSRAM Night-breaker Laser but like you I have been reading about it and not able to decide on anything on a bigger budget. As this was not a bigger investment and it was selling at it cheapest price ever thought I will give it a try!
So yesterday I received the package from Ali Express, luckily no import duty was charged on this shipment. This was around 45 USD.

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20191028_194552.jpg

Type: HB3
Spec: 4300K / 16000 Lumens (claimed)
Comes with a driving unit. It has heat-sinks and a cooling fan.
LED emitters placed on the mast on all directions in a polygon, almost a 360 degree emitter like the halogen filament.

I couldn't hold the excitement until weekend, so I went ahead and installed the headlamps on my car straightaway!

Installation was difficult! There's very narrow space in between the rear cap of the headlamp cluster and other components near that. On the LHS, there's the fuse-box so it is impossible to put the LED lamp into the headlamp cluster. You can put it into the unit only after unbolting the headlamp cluster to slightly lift it up.

Beam pattern on the wall and the hot-spots in the pattern was seen to be similar to that of the stock halogens. The low beam is super impressive! The high beam is seen slightly diffused than a halogen beam (Common with many LED upgrades). It is not that 'pointy' as the halogens. So I am not that happy with the high beams as I am with the low beams.

Here's how the light looks - the halogen fog-lamp is like a candle light now!

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_20191029_081416.jpg

Here's a video showing how the light illuminates the road at night.

clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:23   #846
BHPian

Quote:

Type: HB3
Spec: 4300K / 16000 Lumens (claimed)
Comes with a driving unit. It has heat-sinks and a cooling fan.
LED emitters placed on the mast on all directions in a polygon, almost a 360 degree emitter like the halogen filament.
Hi Clevermax , probably you can try Morimoto 2 stroke leds- they're designed to mimic halogen beam pattern using CSP led chips . Your kind of LED bulbs do not output correct light as reviewed online by few. The reason I stayed away from LED is that they don't perform well in Highbeam halogen projector scenario- even for well built Morimoto. My requirement is good high beam. Hence after lot of 'research', I've finally got Morimoto HID kit - yet to get it installed though.

Last edited by somspaple : 29th October 2019 at 12:26.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 17:05   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Hi Clevermax , probably you can try Morimoto 2 stroke leds- they're designed to mimic halogen beam pattern using CSP led chips . Your kind of LED bulbs do not output correct light as reviewed online by few. The reason I stayed away from LED is that they don't perform well in Highbeam halogen projector scenario- even for well built Morimoto. My requirement is good high beam. Hence after lot of 'research', I've finally got Morimoto HID kit - yet to get it installed though.
My intention was to try out and get a taste of LED headlamps, good learning. We shouldn't have very high expectations on the high beams from LEDs. Heard good reviews about Morimoto.

Quoting from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
[*]Coming to a projector setup, both HID and LED give a consistent and uniform spread in Low beam with a nice cutoff, which looks cool. Of course, this also gives a better output compared to a Halogen low beam whose light distribution isnt that great compared to the others. This is in LOW BEAM. Of course, I am referring to 4300K only. 6000K and higher somehow doesnt impress me.
[*]The fundamental difference between these sources lie in the high beam. Now, in a halogen setup, the high beam works in such a way that whatever is the output of the bulb is directed towards one hotspot and its surroundings. This gives amazing range and intensity. The HID/LED sources lack performance in high beam since the high beam works by just opening the cutoff plate with a solenoid. This results in an even spread of light all over the place. Though it works in dark and semi dark places, it will shy away when facing oncoming traffic since the light is not concentrated in one spot. Hence, this will compromise the range.
[*]Thats exactly the reason in some setups like the earlier S-Cross, Baleno as well as the LED headlights of the Dzire, Ignis etc the low beam is nice and fine, but the high beam isnt that great.
I will wait some more time and may be upgrade again to better LEDs in the future. Hoping that some innovations are on the way that fixes the high beam as well. HID kit including projector is too expensive for me.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th October 2019 at 17:08.
Old 29th October 2019, 17:11   #848
BHPian

Quote:
..HID kit including projector is too expensive for me.
True, and one would have to mess the headlight assembly to retrofit the projectors. Let's see how the Morimoto HIDs perform in my case :fingers crossed:
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 17:16   #849
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Had an unfortunate incident where I banged my Verna agains a pole . Damage to the right side. Attaching the picture of the damaged portion. Please help me understand the extent of the damage and the cost I am looking at.Very disheartening.

Thanks in advance my friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img20191110wa0003.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img20191110wa0004.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img20191110wa0005.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img20191110wa0006.jpg  

Old 11th November 2019, 17:22   #850
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Hi Guys,

Had an unfortunate incident where I banged my Verna agains a pole . Damage to the right side. Attaching the picture of the damaged portion. Please help me understand the extent of the damage and the cost I am looking at.Very disheartening.

Thanks in advance my friends.

Bumper needs to be replaced. In case you are planning to claim insurance, you are looking at something around 3k.

I had a mishap too sometime back and got a hole in left side of front bumper. That was the amount told to me by my SA. But, as I can hide that hole with a T-BHP sticker , I haven't yet fixed that.
EDIT: Your head light assembly too would be replaced I guess, add couple of more thousands. Sorry for your car friend, I too have the same color.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 11th November 2019 at 17:24.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 17:37   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Bumper needs to be replaced. In case you are planning to claim insurance, you are looking at something around 3k.

I had a mishap too sometime back and got a hole in left side of front bumper. That was the amount told to me by my SA. But, as I can hide that hole with a T-BHP sticker , I haven't yet fixed that.
EDIT: Your head light assembly too would be replaced I guess, add couple of more thousands. Sorry for your car friend, I too have the same color.
Thank you my friend. Its only 3 month old. Very disheartening since it was my own mistake.

Just visited the service centre. Front bumper, complete right headlight setup and right fender had to be changed.

But I am told it will cost approx 60000 and I will need to pay around 3000 out of my own pocket since I am going to get it done via insurance
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 08:07   #852
BHPian

A lot of Verna owners have been complaining about the brakes getting jammed and causing accidents. Does this issue still exist in 2019 model vernas also? I was thinking of getting a Verna but now I am not so sure. It seems this issue exists in the Creta as well.
Old 12th November 2019, 11:08   #853
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you my friend. Its only 3 month old. Very disheartening since it was my own mistake.

Just visited the service centre. Front bumper, complete right headlight setup and right fender had to be changed.

But I am told it will cost approx 60000 and I will need to pay around 3000 out of my own pocket since I am going to get it done via insurance

Right fender damages are not very clear from the photo. Just check, instead of replacing, if they can manage through denting. Hyundai' part comes in white color and they paint it to black or whatsoever color, which is itself 50% of the cost.

You can console yourself that, as your car is within first year, you wont get hit with NCB loss that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
A lot of Verna owners have been complaining about the brakes getting jammed and causing accidents. Does this issue still exist in 2019 model vernas also? I was thinking of getting a Verna but now I am not so sure. It seems this issue exists in the Creta as well.

Brakes are spongy, but never faced "jammed" situation. But, still my car is just one year 4 months and 15K km old. If brakes are major criteria for you, nothing can beat a Toyota.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:27   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Right fender damages are not very clear from the photo.
The issue is I can't open the driver side door. Looks like the Right fender is misaligned and yesterday got a call mentioning that the wiper reservoir also needs to be replaced.

As you said, NCB loss may not be that high and could be absorbed. A huge wake call for me in terms of driving in narrow lanes.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:40   #855
BANNED

Quote:
The issue is I can't open the driver side door. Looks like the Right fender is misaligned and yesterday got a call mentioning that the wiper reservoir also needs to be replaced.

As you said, NCB loss may not be that high and could be absorbed. A huge wake call for me in terms of driving in narrow lanes.

Seems, your car has taken in some serious damage. Hope you are safe brother. How fast were you? Take care and update us on your repair quest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks