Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 17:25   #886
BANNED

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Do you feel pulses from brake pedal? If yes, it is mostly ABS kicking in.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocksride View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is an ABS pulse? Is the phenomenon damaging the brake pads in any way?
ABS kicks in pretty quick in Verna. Its just, the censers apprehend a wheel lock on little gravel / broken part of road. Nothing to worry about it, just keep the brake pedal pressed with same pressure for effective braking.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 24th December 2019 at 17:28.
Old 3rd January 2020, 22:50   #887
BHPian

Hi All

After reading through forums, I have decided and picking up Verna 1.6D SX(O) mid of January. The car was invoiced on the last day of 2019 hence got pretty good deal.

I have gone through the PDI checklist from old post, however, I would like to know if there are anything else that i need to watch out.

Is there any run-in period that I need to follow?

I'm seeing posts discussing brakes some felt inadequate which concerns me, is there any offset to it or should I live with it. Coming for Ford Fiesta Classic, had enjoyed decent braking through out 75k kms.

Looking forward to this group to learn about the car and share experience.

-Sriram, Chennai.
SriramEfunds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 23:43   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Hi All

After reading through forums, I have decided and picking up Verna 1.6D SX(O) mid of January. The car was invoiced on the last day of 2019 hence got pretty good deal.
-Sriram, Chennai.
Congrats Sriram. What color?

Probably you are already aware -considering it is invoiced- but confirm the manufacturing date with the help VIN number first. And then usual checks for usage/damage/repaint issues.
Run-in as per manual is for 1 year. And yes brakes are a bit inconsistent and lack feel.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 23:55   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
Sulphur is primarily a lubricant but also is the main source of the harmful NOx emissions, so they're cutting down on them by bringing down the sulphur content.
How Sulphur could be the main source of harmful NOx emissions? I don’t understand “ so they're cutting down on them by bringing down the sulphur content.”

Reducing sulphur content would logically reduce sulphur oxide emissions, according to my basic science knowledge.
Old 4th January 2020, 11:11   #890
BHPian

I have the EX model without steering cover so I got it stitched in PU from Autocraft Moti Nagar for INR2,000. Pretty happy with the quality of material and stitching but there is a slight gap in horn pad and base steering either side due to the cover getting in.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-photo20200104110328.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-photo20200104110329-1.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-photo20200104110329-2.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-photo20200104110329.jpg  

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-photo20200104110330.jpg  

yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 16:47   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Congrats Sriram. What color?

Probably you are already aware -considering it is invoiced- but confirm the manufacturing date with the help VIN number first. And then usual checks for usage/damage/repaint issues.
Run-in as per manual is for 1 year. And yes brakes are a bit inconsistent and lack feel.
Thanks @somspaple

Color - Had to choose between orange white and gray. So my wife selected Titan Gray(Stardust gray is old name).

I just got off the call with Showroom, they said car has arrived to their yard and requested me to come on Monday to see the car. Yes, I will note the VIN number with *x.

What can be done to improve braking so that I feel confident while driving on highways? I know the question is too early but my curiosity will like a war inside my head.

Few questions to feel better.

1. Is HID say 4200k a direct fit on Verna projector housing?(just for knowledge sake)
2. Any review on Hankook Kinergy tyres (heard it's a standard fitment from factory for Verna)?
3. Seeing that car locking and unlocking comes with a beep (horn) is there a way to turn it off? I will find it bit annoying especially at parking at late nights in my apartment.
4. Any suggestions on service centers in Chennai for periodic maintenance? As far as I know there KUN, FPL, HMP, KSRA and few others.
5. Any other valuable suggestions /tips might be useful for a new car maintenance?

Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 01:39   #892
BHPian

Quote:

What can be done to improve braking so that I feel confident while driving on highways? I know the question is too early but my curiosity will like a war inside my head.
Not sure. Probably will have to check with upgraded brake pads and rotors. It's not that bad, car brakes/stops all right but it's not consistent with the feel.

And to answer few of your queries:
Quote:
Few questions to feel better.

1. Is HID say 4200k a direct fit on Verna projector housing?(just for knowledge sake)
Yes, I've got the HIDs from Morimoto. You need to get the right bulbs (9005 /HB3 type). Please read up on HIDs.

Quote:
2. Any review on Hankook Kinergy tyres (heard it's a standard fitment from factory for Verna)?
Not sure, it can be Bridgestone as well. I got the tyres changed to MRF Perfinza 205 section on the day of delivery.

Quote:
3. Seeing that car locking and unlocking comes with a beep (horn) is there a way to turn it off? I will find it bit annoying especially at parking at late nights in my apartment.
Sadly, there is no option to mute the chirps. A.S.S offered to disconnect the connection altogether which i guess mutes the alarm function as well (there is no dedicated hooter)
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 16:51   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
How Sulphur could be the main source of harmful NOx emissions? I don’t understand “ so they're cutting down on them by bringing down the sulphur content.”

Reducing sulphur content would logically reduce sulphur oxide emissions, according to my basic science knowledge.
Apologies I should have explained the correlation better. Sulphur in itself does produce SOx and not NOx (Sanity and logic still prevails, not to worry !)

Sulphur in diesel (in addition to the soot it produces)technically makes conventional methods of reducing NOx emissions ineffective. So the first step in reducing NOx is to control the amount of Sulphur in diesels by moving towards ULSD( Diesels with < 15 PPM of Sulphur) ie BS6 diesels. After sulphur is out of the picture we have methods such Selective Catalytic Reduction using Adblue that reduce the NOx emissions.

Hope this helps!
TDCi'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 05:57   #894

The brakes on the Verna are making me very nervous. Is there anything that can be done to improve the braking performance?
Old 16th January 2020, 02:18   #895
BHPian

Quote:
The brakes on the Verna are making me very nervous. Is there anything that can be done to improve the braking performance?
@sherlocksride - You will need to detail a bit so it helps us to understand.

Your car model
Odo done
Tyre make
Tyre condition

You'll need to tell me the braking at slow speed and how does the car behave while braking at high speed.

Are you feeling it lacks bite or there's a reasonable delay in actuating the bite than expected?

If you are comparing your experience with another car, do share some details so we can try to understand your situation.

While I wait for your response, I tried Google search and am hearing Verna braking fall short of expectation. Did try to check if anyone has done any upgrade, but none pulled up. I'm sure there are options to use aftermarket products, however, being novice, trying to understand if that braking issue is because of core components ( pads, disc rotate, calipers) or does the car design like suspension vehicle lay out could influence the braking concern.

Fyi.. I'm supposed to take Verna delivery shortly, however, I'm already filled up with questions like did I jump the gun.. should have done bit more deep research about Verna. Now, I got no other go but to live with it. So I have made up my mind to drive it for sometime and take few cautious brake tests to understand.

I love traveling so I will continue to search for better options so incase I feel inadequate then will try them out.
SriramEfunds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 10:41   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It might not be the brakes but the overall setup of the car that's making you feel this way. How much has the car run? A Tyre upgrade is a simple straight forward option to improve the things. Go get the brakes bled properly at a good garage. That too would help.
Does your car have drums at the rear? I have a 6 year old Verna and it has all 4 discs. I haven't felt the brakes to be inadequate even at very high speeds. I am running Michelin P3ST, 205/55/16.
Old 16th January 2020, 13:20   #897

Quote:
@sherlocksride - You will need to detail a bit so it helps us to understand.

Your car model
Odo done
Tyre make
Tyre condition
Your car model - Hyundai Verna SX + AT VTVT
Odo done - 5000 km
Tyre make - Stock Hankook Tires
Tyre condition - Not one puncture till date. So doing as good as stock

Quote:
You'll need to tell me the braking at slow speed and how does the car behave while braking at high speed.

Are you feeling it lacks bite or there's a reasonable delay in actuating the bite than expected?
I think a little of both - lacks bite and kicks in a little late. More the former.

Quote:
Fyi.. I'm supposed to take Verna delivery shortly, however, I'm already filled up with questions like did I jump the gun.. should have done bit more deep research about Verna. Now, I got no other go but to live with it. So I have made up my mind to drive it for sometime and take few cautious brake tests to understand.

I love traveling so I will continue to search for better options so incase I feel inadequate then will try them out.
Have no doubt - I absolutely love the New Verna! My only 2 complaints since I got it 5 months back have been - Poor braking and low FE. I figured out the FE part though. Turns out the low 7-8 kmph I was getting earlier was largely due to me being too enthusiastic about the AT coupled with the awesome engine! I've learnt to be a lot more gentle and the FE is hovering around 10-11 in daily city traffic.
Don't regret your decision. It's a great car with better than average handling and ride quality. It's fully kitted. The sunroof allows the cabin to feel airy. It's fast and quite the looker. Hyundai service is right up there with the best.

Congratulations and all the best!
Old 16th January 2020, 14:36   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
...Even I am planning to try my luck with Advaith in my next service.
As far as I know all the dealership is almost the same unless we build a relationship with the service and sales executive we don't get the 100% satisfaction with the service they offer. I am still trying to find that one reliable service executive with whom I am build a rapport
Advaith Hyundai ORR is a pretty decent one - I get my Verna SX(O) 1.6D serviced from there occasionally, when it becomes due for a service while I am in Bangalore. They also used to do my Elite i20 1.4 CRDi (Asta). Net-net its been almost 4 years of trouble free relationship.

You could connect with Mr. Sudhakar, 9902098852. He is the one that took care of my cars (the last I went to him was in mid 2019). He is fairly reasonable and reliable. You could use my reference (Raghavan from Hyderabad, White Verna).
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 14:49   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
Anyone had done recent insurance renewals? Mine is due for 3rd year renewal. I was with ICICI (for the first year) and Royal Sundaram (2nd year).

I am fairly considering to extend my 3rd year with Royal Sundaram.

Have got a quote from them and below are the details,

Premium Amount: 33292/-
IDV Offered: 11,90,000/-
Add-ons Opted: Zero Dep, RTI (including Road Tax), Engine Cover, Tyre Cover, Key Replacement and Spare Car

(Add-ons with Royal Sundaram works as a bundle, they get costlier when opted individually, that's the reason why Tyre Cover and Spare Car are in the list though I wasn't very keen on them.)

Please share your view and any quote information if any of you have.
I had Royal Sundaram last year too. Never had to claim, so can't comment. However, I renewed with New India Assurance (for a freak reason that I don't even remember now), and unfortunately had to claim a couple of months ago, for front bumper change. If anything - please avoid NIA - even if it comes at half the premium.
Could not answer your question, but just told you where not to go!!
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 15:08   #900
BHPian

Quote:
4. Any suggestions on service centers in Chennai for periodic maintenance? As far as I know there KUN, FPL, HMP, KSRA and few others.
3. The lock / unlock beeps can not be turned off, unless you disconnect the dedicated buzzer. And if you do that, then the burglar alarm will be muted too. *Part solution* - While locking, just open one of the rear doors, lock the car with the key fob and then close the door. You get rid of at least 1 beep this way

4. I would say HMP (Eekkatuthangal). Although, the last I went to them was a while ago (almost 2 yrs), I don't quite think that their customer-centric DNA would have changed (and that's a rarity in Chennai).

Last edited by RaghuChn : 16th January 2020 at 15:10. Reason: Included 1 option

Most Viewed