Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 09:36   #121

Re: Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review

I have noticed the exact same issue on my new JC, was planning to get it checked during the first service. Since the occurrence have been only twice in last week, not much of a concern at this moment. However good to know its been rectified during service.

Btw anyone upgraded to LED headlights and fog lights in Bangalore, recommendations?
Old 21st November 2020, 23:32   #122
BHPian

Hi All, a friend in Mumbai is looking to buy a petrol Automatic Limited Plus.
I haven't really heard of any reliability related issues with the DCT transmission, so thought of checking on this thread as well.

Also, would it make sense to wait for the facelift? Although I hear it's unlikely that there will be any change in the engines.
Old 21st December 2020, 02:17   #123
BHPian

I got a Jeep compass petrol longitudinal plus variant last week and took it for a family drive today (~40 km city traffic and remaining on highway).

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-img_20201219_204111.jpg

The figures above bring smile to me .

I simply loved the drive on highway, feels so planted and stable on road at high speed, even on turns.
sushantk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 04:58   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantk View Post
I got a Jeep compass petrol longitudinal plus variant last week and took it for a family drive today (~40 km city traffic and remaining on highway).

Attachment 2095162

I simply loved the drive on highway, feels so planted and stable on road at high speed, even on turns.
Hey sushantk!

Those figures are indeed healthy for petrol SUV. If I may ask, what was the FE that was observed during the highway run, excluding the city traffic?
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:12   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
Those figures are indeed healthy for petrol SUV. If I may ask, what was the FE that was observed during the highway run, excluding the city traffic?
Hi Capt.Arun,

They city traffic efficiency was close to 7 as it was a heavy traffic due to road construction. I did not reset the trip after exiting the city while joining to the highway, but doing Maths tell me Highway efficiency to be around ~13.8. What I learnt and as what others have said earlier, turbo petrol is very sensitive to how do you drive. Using momentum, keeping feet light on the accelerator pedal helps a lot in getting better mileage. I am sure 14 is easily doable on the long highway if one wishes to. I used cruise control also a few kms (learning to use this as my last vehicle did not have it)

Regards,
Sushant
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:40   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I haven't really heard of any reliability related issues with the DCT transmission

Also, would it make sense to wait for the facelift? Although I hear it's unlikely that there will be any change in the engines.
I did not hear any DCT issues either, mine has been as good as new (or may be better now). Everytime I visit the service center (about 5 times in last 3 years) I see diesel ones with clutch replacement job in progress but never saw any petrol auto with an issue. I do generally talk to the mechanics and they never mentioned any issues with DCT
I have 2 more years of warranty left on my car just in case.

I think it makes sense to purchase the car now because the facelift will be the same vehicle mechanically and the discounts on the current one is around 2 lakhs!
shishir333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:14   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Hi All, a friend in Mumbai is looking to buy a petrol Automatic Limited Plus.
I haven't really heard of any reliability related issues with the DCT transmission, so thought of checking on this thread as well.

Hello @Shreyas_H;
I was in a similar dilemma and below information helped me take a decision. Hope it does to you too.
1. The facelift is expected to launch in Jan 2021 (as see in the Guangzhou International Motor Show) has limited cosmetic changes to the current outgoing model.
2. Engine options might remain the same for diesel versions. Petrol might get the 1.3L which is a step down from current 1.4L.
3. ICU upgrade is the only major change to me.
4. Attractive discounts this month on the current model. I got 1.3 lakhs discount (90k cash and 40k discount on insurance). Plus free bees like complementary 3yrs RSA, HSRN number plate, under chassis protection.
5. My personal opinion and experience with facelift launches thought me that face lifted versions of vehicles generally tend to be less solid than the old ones. Manufacturers try make compromises on quality to ensure lower cost. (Take swift as an example. i20 another. Even Honda and Toyota’s did it with City and Innova.
6. Last and the most important: The prices are expected to go up between 1.5 lakhs to 3.5lakhs based on the variant. (This I confirmed with multiple SA’s from Delhi, Hyderabad and 2 different showrooms in Bangalore. They all said the same thing). But let’s hope they don’t over price and further kill a very good car.
Bottom line: the hike in prices between buying now vs buying in Jan 2021 is more than 3lakhs considering there won’t be any discounts as well. I intend to keep the car for long time and hence manufacture year and facelift or not doesn’t hurt me much.
I went ahead and got Limited plus Petrol. Taking delivery on Dec 31. Will share my experience in a different thread once I finish the hand over.

Let us know here what you decide on doing. Happy revving !
vardhann5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantk View Post

Attachment 2095162

Hi Sushant, the JC Petrol is indeed capable of decent fuel efficiency if driven right, just like every other turbo petrol SUVs out there. Early users who drove the turbo like a NA engine got single digit figures. People have to remember this is a very heavy car, on a fuel type that is not suited to haul weight, like diesel is.

Time posts like your help break the myths and promote correct driving style.

Thanks for the share and happy Jeeping
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:00   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini83BLR View Post
I have noticed the exact same issue on my new JC, was planning to get it checked during the first service. Since the occurrence have been only twice in last week, not much of a concern at this moment. However good to know its been rectified during service.
Yes, it got rectified. The culprit could also be a half pressed shift button. Remember to press the shift button fully before changing. Since i have been keeping this in mind, i have had no issues.
Old 30th December 2020, 14:02   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhann5 View Post
Hello @Shreyas_H;
I was in a similar dilemma and below information helped me take a decision. Hope it does to you too.
Thank you Vardhan, and congratulations for your new ride! I will share this with my friend, however he has decided for now to wait for the facelift and also for the VW Taigun and Skoda Vision IN

Quote:
2. Engine options might remain the same for diesel versions. Petrol might get the 1.3L which is a step down from current 1.4L.
I don't think engine options are changing at all!

The Compass is a great car, wish you lakhs of happy miles with it. Do put up an initial ownership review, especially on the driving dynamics of the DCT box.
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 00:33   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Hi Sushant, the JC Petrol is indeed capable of decent fuel efficiency if driven right, just like every other turbo petrol SUVs out there. Early users who drove the turbo like a NA engine got single digit figures. People have to remember this is a very heavy car, on a fuel type that is not suited to haul weight, like diesel is.

Time posts like your help break the myths and promote correct driving style.

Thanks for the share and happy Jeeping
Thanks Achyut ! I totally echo your thoughts on the mileage. In the recent trip of 200+ Kms, I got 13.5 kmpl (had posted on the jeep compass main thread). Jeep has surprised me with this mileage (having so much heard about it being bad and then still I went ahead with it because of being in love with other things Jeep has ) ... loving the jeep-life !
sushantk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 09:39   #132
BHPian

Hello friends,

I am confused between Jeep Compass sport AT 2021 vs Thar petrol auto LX.. i loved the design of Thar and booked it on 11th feb

But I feel tempted to spend 5 lakh more and consider compass for the fit and finish.. though I will miss out on the 4*4 and convertible top

This thing has been troubling me for nearly two weeks, can anyone who has driven both petrol variants of above help me take a decision
Old 30th March 2021, 00:05   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirdamo View Post
Hello friends,

I am confused between Jeep Compass sport AT 2021 vs Thar petrol auto LX.. i loved the design of Thar and booked it on 11th feb
Did you finalize Thar? Or are you still in double mind. I firmly believe Jeep Compass is a superior compared to That, not just in fit, finish and looks but also in engine. It is definitely worth paying extra bucks, but not sure if worth 5 big one's extra.
Old 30th March 2021, 06:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirdamo View Post
Hello friends,

But I feel tempted to spend 5 lakh more and consider compass for the fit and finish.. though I will miss out on the 4*4 and convertible top

This thing has been troubling me for nearly two weeks
You are essentially comparing chalk and cheese. How often do you want to go 4x4 ? Is it your primary vehicle? If not then you are just looking for a good crossover and you can look at the Compass. Mind you , depending on your driving style and traffic, the Compass AT can also leave you frustrated sometimes. But you can carry 4 adults and some luggage as a typical family car. On the other hand if you want a regular adventure or visit a farmhouse off the beaten path with friends, then you can consider buying a decent hatch/compact sedan for the city+ the Thar. You may get a good combo for a little more than the price of a Compass sport. I think the Thar cannot be a primary “ family” car in its present design.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:21   #135
BHPian

So just saw a Jeep petrol automatic Limited (pre face-lift) with this sticker. Didn't know this feature exists. I have the limited version and don't see this while the one I just saw is the longitude plus I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-20210403_101406.jpg  

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-20210403_101408.jpg  

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 3rd April 2021 at 10:42.

Most Viewed