Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 17:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review

I am planning to upgrade from my City iVtec to Jeep compass Limited plus (petrol). I am always for a manual shift lover but thinking of Auto this time. Seems auto transmission in Jeep not really great.
Further, it's not clear whether petrol version have a MT version.
How about the servicing experiences and expenses in Mumbai.
Regards
Subrat
Old 1st October 2019, 18:51   #62
BHPian

There is a manual transmission ( Sports - Petrol) for 1.4 multiair petrol JC.
Further, why do you think Jeep auto is not very great? what is your expectation from the car, and I might give you real feedback on JC Petrol Auto that I drive.
Roadster17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
There is a manual transmission ( Sports - Petrol) for 1.4 multiair petrol JC.
Further, why do you think Jeep auto is not very great? what is your expectation from the car, and I might give you real feedback on JC Petrol Auto that I drive.
Thank you so much. Not a very technical person about vehicle but going through the review here - about the AT. Some transmission lag I could make out. May be you are right. AT is good. Would be thankful to know about the maintenance/service experience in Mumbai and how about the costs?
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Seems auto transmission in Jeep not really great.
It is not great if you pitch it beside VW's excellent dsg but then nothing is, unless you head into the high end ZF's and Porsche dct's. As an automatic in a mainstream car, it does the job very well. Make sure you take every possible warranty and additional insurance cover that covers the gearbox as anything dual clutch has some risk to it.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:13   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Thank you so much. Not a very technical person about vehicle but going through the review here - about the AT. Some transmission lag I could make out. May be you are right. AT is good. Would be thankful to know about the maintenance/service experience in Mumbai and how about the costs?
Well there is a lag below 1800 rpm, but in city that will not make a difference as in any case you are supposed to go slow and steady within city. On highways you are almost always above 1800 rpm. There is nothing that cannot be solved by a bit of heavy foot if you need any more punch. It is seriously enjoyable to drive if you drive the way it is meant to. And that you will learn in due course of ownership. As advised, buy the max 5 years warranty pack and take engine cover for sure in insurance.

Maintenance/Service cost is normal because the interval is 15000 km/1 year not like others which has 6 monthly intervals. So the amount might look high in the bill however that needs to be compared with 2X bill of other manufacturers. Rest when you own a premium brand you should expect a premium in service charge as well.
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 15:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Maintenance/Service cost is normal because the interval is 15000 km/1 year not like others which has 6 monthly intervals. So the amount might look high in the bill however that needs to be compared with 2X bill of other manufacturers. Rest when you own a premium brand you should expect a premium in service charge as well.

Hi, can I ask what mileage the car is giving? And is 22l on road for a Jeep Longiture Option(automatic) a good deal? Thank you.
HK. Oby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 17:11   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK. Oby View Post
Hi, can I ask what mileage the car is giving? And is 22l on road for a Jeep Longiture Option(automatic) a good deal? Thank you.
Well it all depends on your driving. If you know how to caress the beast it will reward with decent figures or it will sip.
I drive in Delhi NCR which has good amount of bad traffic

I am getting on an average of 9 kmpl ( 25% highway, 75% city ) with mix of very sedate and very mad driving. Lately i have controlled myself and avoid full throttle and am getting 10 kmpl ( attachment ) for the past 745 kms. But even in these 745 kms , I have pushed the beast ( floored to metal) lot of times. On a very congested stretch i get around 7 - 8 kmpl, and on Highways 12-14.

I think you can push a bit more for the Jeep Longitude. They should do something in Insurance,as that is what they did for me. Nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-20191004_212912.jpg  

Last edited by Roadster17 : 6th October 2019 at 17:19. Reason: Addition of texts.
Old 6th October 2019, 18:56   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Maintenance/Service cost is normal because the interval is 15000 km/1 year not like others which has 6 monthly intervals. So the amount might look high in the bill however that needs to be compared with 2X bill of other manufacturers.
I think almost all cars in that segment apart from the Innova which anyways isn't in the same group of vehicles, have a 1 year service interval. The km range may be lesser (10k km is standard I guess) but then most people considering buying a petrol SUV would not be doing more than that in a year.
Old 6th October 2019, 19:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think almost all cars in that segment apart from the Innova which anyways isn't in the same group of vehicles, have a 1 year service interval. The km range may be lesser (10k km is standard I guess) but then most people considering buying a petrol SUV would not be doing more than that in a year. Even my VW gives 15k interval. And i think this is a minimum you should get.
Yes most of the modern manufacturers nowadays give 1 year and 10000 km intervals. But a difference of 5k on a year is a good difference. Even 40 km per day would cross the interval in 8 months and if you do any outstation this will be even quicker. That is my worry.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2019 at 19:47. Reason: now a days > nowadays.
Old 6th October 2019, 22:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK. Oby View Post
Refer https://gaadiwaadi-com.cdn.ampprojec...mq331AQCKAE%3D

It seems it is the best time to get one.
Old 14th October 2019, 05:33   #71

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Friends, I have decided to book Jeep compass Limited AT Petrol, black color. The reason to narrow down this as following.
1. Getting good cash discount around 1.85 lakh (On road 21.90L).
2. My daily driving is 40KM mostly on highway.
3. I need AT & petrol combination as being in NCR I am not convinced about diesel car future.
4. After driving Jeep, I forget rest in competition.

Now I need your help to resolve following 3 question.
1. Is petrol AT is good choice ?
2. How difficult to maintain Black color.
3. Is the deal with this discount is fine .
4. Should I go ahead or wait for 3 months for 2020, BS VI model.

Thanks in advance for you support.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:00   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anildvd View Post
Friends, I have decided to book Jeep compass Limited AT Petrol, black color. The reason to narrow down this as following.
3. I need AT & petrol combination as being in NCR I am not convinced about diesel car future.

1. I own one and the fondness is increasing with every passing day. Petrol AT is a good choice for city drive and excellent for highway drives. It has all the positives of Jeep Compass ( read built quality, dynamics, Steering, safety pack, bold look) and add a convenience of automatic. The only gripes in owning this variant for few would be fuel efficiency ( ~ 9 kmpl in city, 12 on highway, turbo lag below 2000 rpm and may be rear seat space if you plan to travel with 5 full grown adults regularly). For rest, as you said "After driving Jeep, you forget rest in competition".

2. Black color will be difficult to maintain, no doubt but JC in black is absolutely sexy. Will recommend PPF over 5 panels and ceramic coat over the car. That should do. I got mine and am really loving it.

3. I think the discount looks good, and you will see a price hike once BSVI kicks in. Jeep is notorious in not giving lots of discounts generally.

4. For Petrol variants, I don't think it would be any major difference if you wait for BSVI. On hind sight, expect price increase and removal of any discount scheme.

Cheers

Last edited by Roadster17 : 14th October 2019 at 09:05.
Roadster17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 10:10   #73
BHPian

Well Sir, Diesel auto ( updated transmission as per AutocarIndia) is coming soon. Please also pardon me for this long post, as I have been reading a lot of false comments about media calling JC Petrol auto as a bad car to drive.

Now to your second question around lethargy of Petrol Auto. I would like to see "one" article anywhere which says it is lethargic. What I have read is that it is not as effortless as its diesel sibling, and given a choice diesel engine experience is superior. In fact every one says it is a fast car. Even our team bhp review says the same.

Let's rewind ourselves.

From team bhp :

What you'll like:

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• 1.4L turbo-petrol makes 161 BHP! Offers fast performance
• Smooth 7-speed dual-clutch Automatic
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• City-friendly size & higher seating make the Compass AT incredibly easy to drive
• Structurally safe, all-wheel disc brakes and a whole host of electronic aids (including ESP)
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers

What you won't:

• 1.4L Petrol motor simply isn't as impressive as the all-rounded 2.0L Diesel
• No sport mode, no paddle shifters and no cruise control for this AT
• Petrol AT is unavailable in the lower variants. No AWD or 6 Airbags like the Diesel either
• Complex dual-clutch ATs have usually been troublesome in India
• Small size for the price! Also, narrow cabin is suitable for 4 adults, not 5
• Tiny dealership network. After-sales quality & long-term reliability are unknown factors as well
• Turning radius of 5.65m is more than the Safari Storme's. Further, 17º approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Now lethargy and "fast" does not gels well. JC petrol auto is even faster than JC diesel in 0-100 and has better kick down acceleration figures than almost any car below 25 lacs. So called "fastest SUV" in its class from Kia is just 0.4 second faster to 100. JC does in 10.2 seconds which is "fast" in every sense. Post 120 kmph, Kia has no chance to match JC. 40-100 in Kia GTX Petrol takes 10.33 sec ( source cardekho.com) whereas JC petrol auto is 7.3 sec. I would like to know the list of all cars faster than JC petrol in 40-100 sprint or for that matter even 40-150 sprint below 25 lacs.
40-100 is where all fun lies and practically this what we should look at when comparing real world acceleration. On pure facts, Kia cannot match JC petrol auto on open stretches. I am comparing JC with Kia's new car here as it claims to be the fastest car in its class.

These are all figures and may be in real life you would have felt lethargy in the car.

Even I felt that during my test drive, but it was only a matter of foot pressure that you must apply. You need to apply more pressure on this vehicle than most other cars, I would imagine. That's all the difference.

I am in no way claiming that this is the best car you can buy today within 25 lacs.

I agree that you feel engine is vocal and also sluggish below 2000 rpm, but the car makes up for this sluggishness after 2000 rpm. Practically, you should know how to tame the 161 horses !

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2019 at 11:24.
Roadster17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 12:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

I think there is too much analysis of meaningless data around car performance frankly. India is not an autobahn paradise. Secondly, to link one or two seconds of acceleratiion difference to a major car purchasing decision is also overdoing it in my opinion. While we are on that topic, does anyone care to check what are the 80-0 deceleration timings and distances? Why don’t we ask companies to publish those stats which are in my opinion, far more important? Let’s look at a product for what it essentially offers: decent performance , solid build quality, safety kit , convenience of an AT and decent cabin features. It would be unreasonable to expect 20 kpl from a petrol SUV, or for it to pass traffic at will as if it were a road skimming Octavia VRS/TSI on an autobahn.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 12:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anildvd View Post

Petrol AT is a good choice if you can adjust to the turbo lag and somewhat slow gearbox response. I suggest to go for the Limited Option variant as you get the bi-xenon headlamps which should have been available in lower variants as well (might be difficult to fit later and will cost almost same, also warranty might be impacted)

@Roadster17 - I know you are a proud owner of the Compass Petrol auto and passionate about it. So, I understand your reaction. I am just saying the petrol auto is not so easy to recommend like the diesel for a driver-oriented SUV/crossover in this price range as the performance is not so great (also, no sports mode, no paddle shifts, no cruise control ). I will stop my rant here but quoting GTO's comments from the petrol AT review thread, as it summarizes my opinion as well -
"While the Compass diesel is my pick of the segment, it's not the case with the petrol DDCT. I found this engine + gearbox combination to be very 'meh'. In the Compass diesel, that lovely 2.0L brings a lot of driving pleasure; the petrol AT isn't a patch on it. If I was looking at a Petrol AT crossover, I'd spend a little more and get the Tucson, or save big bucks and be happy with the Creta. Somehow, the Compass Petrol AT just didn't pull at the heartstrings as the Diesel did. For all the tech that this DDCT has, it's merely average. I know some torque-converter ATs that are superior."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think there is too much analysis of meaningless data around car performance frankly. India is not an autobahn paradise. Secondly, to link one or two seconds of acceleratiion difference to a major car purchasing decision is also overdoing it in my opinion. While we are on that topic, does anyone care to check what are the 80-0 deceleration timings and distances? Why don’t we ask companies to publish those stats which are in my opinion, far more important? Let’s look at a product for what it essentially offers: decent performance , solid build quality, safety kit , convenience of an AT and decent cabin features. It would be unreasonable to expect 20 kpl from a petrol SUV, or for it to pass traffic at will as if it were a road skimming Octavia VRS/TSI on an autobahn.
Buddy, it's not about autobahn, it's about everyday driving experience. In fact, the Compass Petrol AT does pretty well in flat out acceleration. It is during normal driving conditions where the turbo lag and relatively slower gearbox can get frustrating. If it works for you, please buy one and enjoy the car.

As I said, Jeep should come out with a reasonably priced Diesel Auto soon if it wants to regain the lost momentum.
Peace.

Last edited by adimicra : 14th October 2019 at 13:04.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks