Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2019, 07:50   #466
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Here are some pics of the PPF being done.
First all the scratches and swirl marks are removed. As my car had already ceramic all the scratches disappeared after the buffing procedure.
Then all the parts like door handles, bumbers, plastic wheel arches, tail lamps, emblems are removed as to give minimum cuts in the wrap. This is perfect way of doing it so we don't see any joints. In 3M i suppose they don't remove they just make lot of joints. Here they do this by official mechanics from respective companies.
By the way they are official detailes for most of the premium brands like Porche, Benz, BMW and deal with the company people directly and do it even before delivery of brand new vehicles.
Will post more pics once I pick up the car today and share pricing details and quality of the work and whether it's really worth it.
I am also getting Sun heat protection transparent film done for the windshield and doors as this car heats up very fast.I shall update effect on cooling after doing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0013.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0012.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0011.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0003.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0004.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0005.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191123wa0006.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191122wa0005.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191122wa0004.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191122wa0003.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img_20191124_081428.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img_20191124_081402.jpg  

Last edited by sag_kv : 24th November 2019 at 08:16.
sag_kv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 19:27   #467
BHPian

Self healing PPF and suncool film for the windshields and door glasses.
Just one joint seen in the roof near antenna and roof rails. Rest all is just part of the body all neatly tucked in you will not be able to tell if this car has got PPF or not.
Few bubbles are there still, which they say will get settled once the film heats up. And after a week or 15 days they will reinspect for any bubbles remaining and remove them.
I shall test the efficacy of the sun cool film during a peak sunny day and post.
Here are few pics just after the PPF.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191124wa0052.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191124wa0050.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191124wa0049.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191124wa0048.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191124wa0045.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191124wa0046.jpg  

Last edited by sag_kv : 24th November 2019 at 19:28.
sag_kv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 21:29   #468
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag_kv View Post
Self healing PPF and suncool film for the windshields and door glasses.
Just one joint seen in the roof near antenna and roof rails. Rest all is just part of the body all neatly tucked in you will not be able to tell if this car has got PPF or not.
Few bubbles are there still, which they say will get settled once the film heats up. And after a week or 15 days they will reinspect for any bubbles remaining and remove them.
I shall test the efficacy of the sun cool film during a peak sunny day and post.
Here are few pics just after the PPF.

Wow. The car looks pretty amazing. Glad they did a proper install by removing the parts. Do keep us updated about how things hold up and how well the self healing feature works. Also, do they any periodic maintenance plan for this package?
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 04:43   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
You are clearly lusting over that colour
Not your fault though, that colour is so good, it makes one fall for it.
I would have done the ppf if I had that colour too.

What’s the price of this HEXIS? Total price for your entire vehicle and price per square feet?
How good is it compared to ventureshield? What’s the time taken to apply?
The pricing is 1050 per sq feet. It is definitely better than 3 M ventureshield you can check online. I found out that it has anti yellowing and better hydrophobic and scratch resistant properties.
You get 5 year warranty for the film and one maintenance after 3 yr. You literally need not do anything except follow wash care as prescribed.
After contemplating whether to get a PPF ( paint protection film) or not.
Here is a list of what are the pros and cons according to my research in comparison with ceramic.
Pros:-
1. It's film unlike ceramic which bonds to the paint
2. Can be peeled off in case of any damage
3. Thickness is 180-200 microns compared to that of ceramic which is 2 microns
4. Takes scratches from metal objects which the ceramic doesn't
5. Protects against swirl marks
6. Go for tuck in installation for all the panels ( after my detailed search found esperto car care to be the only brand that does this for all the panels) as this prevents any peel offs.
7. Good resale of the vehicle ( you can peel off the PPF and get a much better appreciation as the car looks brand new underneath the ppf even after 5-6years.
8. Compared to ceramic coating PPF is highly hydrophobic and has a self healing effect from scratches.

Cons :
1. Expensive compared to ceramic 3x-4x
2. Time consuming (3 days)

Last edited by sag_kv : 25th November 2019 at 05:08.
sag_kv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 19:23   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Yes did try a older model redmi note 3 and Android auto was functional.

I also checked k20 pro is not in list of compatible phones on skoda website.

I feel skoda should have worked its software to work with Android and not specific for phone models. Beacuse in the online list no new models are there.

BTW Is there a app to control air conditioner controls remotely from the back seat.
An update on this issue. Today i got the Android auto to work finally on my K20 pro by using second space. In second space it is connecting well but not in first space maybe due to some app conflict. I didn't want to reset my phone and reload all apps so I simple turned on second space and it worked like magic. I have seen that we cannot project the maps on the virtual cockpit though but like Google maps and are trust worthy than any other available or there. The only downside I felt is the need to connect your phone via USB.
Finally happy to have all the features to get working. Shall post more details after exploring Android apps and ease of their use.
sag_kv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:50   #471
BHPian

Quote:
The pricing is 1050 per sq feet. It is definitely better than 3 M ventureshield you can check online. I found out that it has anti yellowing and better hydrophobic and scratch resistant properties.
You get 5 year warranty for the film and one maintenance after 3 yr. You literally need not do anything except follow wash care as prescribed.
After contemplating whether to get a PPF ( paint protection film) or not.
Here is a list of what are the pros and cons according to my research in comparison with ceramic.
1. It's film unlike ceramic which bonds to the paint
2. Can be peeled off in case of any damage
3. Thickness is 180-200 microns compared to that of ceramic which is 2 microns
4. Takes scratches from metal objects which the ceramic doesn't
5. Protects against swirl marks
6. Go for tuck in installation for all the panels ( after my detailed search found esperto car care to be the only brand that does this for all the panels) as this prevents any peel offs.
7. Good resale of the vehicle ( you can peel off the PPF and get a much better appreciation as the car looks brand new underneath the ppf even after 5-6years.
8. Compared to ceramic coating PPF is highly hydrophobic and has a self healing effect from scratches.

Cons :

Thanks for sharing the details and pictures! The car looks awesome.
One question or a doubt. All said and done, PPF is still a "plastic skin" possibly similar to the ones we put on our phone screens. It does provide good protection against scratches etc. but the finish is not the same as original screen and over a period of time, the finish becomes worse with its own scratches etc. and we end up changing the skin again. How is a PPF different specially over 1-2 years time. Iam fully sold on getting a PPF done, but wondering about this.
Also, is there any way the sheen and shine can be retained on PPF by waxing etc. once a few months.
Old 26th November 2019, 12:15   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Then all the parts like door handles, bumbers, plastic wheel arches, tail lamps, emblems are removed as to give minimum cuts in the wrap. This is perfect way of doing it so we don't see any joints.
How is the fit and finish after they fix everything back? Hopefully nothing loose or rattling? I guess if the badge & mudflaps are still there when you reach Tirupati, then it must have survived potholed roads of Bengalooru, so fit and finish must be fine
Also, given your sensitivity to previous issues with rattling, I commend your courage to get this done!

Quote:
I am also getting Sun heat protection transparent film done for the windshield and doors as this car heats up very fast.I shall update effect on cooling after doing this.
I am surprised you find the car's cooling inadequate. I find it cools effectively and I am keeping it at 25 degrees! I turn AC off early morning.

Quote:
The pricing is 1050 per sq feet.

I had 3M PPF on my Polo and it never had any problems like peeling off. It was a little heart wrenching to see them cut PPF *on* the car body, but other than that, it seemed fine for 5 years.

Quote:
Cons :
3 days!?? Wow! That's long. Were you there all the time? Do you think time spent was reasonable? It requires so much work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
One question or a doubt. All said and done, PPF is still a "plastic skin" possibly similar to the ones we put on our phone screens. It does provide good protection against scratches etc. but the finish is not the same as original screen and over a period of time, the finish becomes worse with its own scratches etc. and we end up changing the skin again. How is a PPF different specially over 1-2 years time.

Also, is there any way the sheen and shine can be retained on PPF by waxing etc. once a few months.
I've had a Polo for 5 years with 3M PPF for all it's known life. Not the current self healing one, but older normal one. Let me try and clarify this for you -

PPF is unlike phone scratch guards - PPFs are softer. Think of older lamination days, if you had gotten done one 10 years ago for your phone.

PPF is good soft plastic which contours to snugly fit car body.
The modern self healing stuff will take care of your "swirl marks" worries. Park it in hot sun for an hour and then no scratches. Even older PPF would do that upto some extent with good afternoon sun, so the self healing ones are much better at it. It's like magic, you should see it to believe it. Smaller scratches are not going to be a problem.

For shine, you can wash/wax on PPF - just no rubbing/abrasive compounds, that's it.

Consider the bright side - you are not swirling/scratching on the original paint, right? You know that this can be peeled off when you feel it's all scratched out (which is not less than 3.5~4 years for sure). Until then if you hadn't had a dent which needs repainting, thankfully, just get a simple wax treatment in any detailing shop and you'll be good.
Also, this is much easier to wash - imagine, our apartment car washing guy washes all cars in same cloth. With PPF, I slept with peace.
I knew any depressed soul could not write on my car with keys & stones.
That peace is what I had paid for and I am happy.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:51   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
I am planning to get the Scout version sometime in Q1 next year. Could the exisiting users share the mileage with mostly city runabouts.
Well, I don't know if it is me only, but the mileage is very sensitive to my mood .. could vary between 10 to 14 in the city driving. Did not find any difference between Scout or L&K variants driven under similar conditions.
So having a calm mindset is good on the pocket as well as environment!
Old 26th November 2019, 16:27   #474
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't be able to stomach the removal of exterior trims for this task

However its the best way to protect your car as compared to even the best ceramic coats. Expensive, but the most practical solution for Indian conditions. Have seen plenty examples where dents and scratches are just kept at bay due to the PPF and is really worth it if you keep the car for good 5-6 years.

How is the water beading/sheeting property of the PPF? Do they cover the lights as well?
Old 26th November 2019, 22:10   #475
BHPian

Hi I think Shrinath has answered most of your queries.
Yes I had taken a risk of removal and refittment but it was worth it as you cannot make out of this car has been wrapped. It just looks like normal paint but with extra gloss.
The beading effect is super good. It had rained a bit while travelling back. By the time I reached home there was no evidence of even a single drop.
Cooling might be good in Bangalore but for hot climate areas the glass area is too much and heat radiation brings down cooling. I believe these are not tinted glass.
3 days time is little too much but as they are jam packed with many vehicles I beleive it to be reasonable.
The removal and refittment was ok. I just found some mild misalignment in the front grill which i had observed and got it rectified there it self. No noises or loose parts. They have done a Lamborghini also. And they have official mechanics from each company coming and doing the work.
Lights are not covered. As they say it will not stick well to parts other than painted ones.
sag_kv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:30   #476
BHPian

Its a great car but why is it so loud. Took a long TD and I will be deciding which car to get in Dec so that delivery can be done in Jan.
Old 28th November 2019, 21:49   #477
BHPian

With Skoda stopping production until around February, it looks like they will start production of bs6 variants from Feb onwards - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/skoda-...tion-6-7-weeks

Any information on the kodiaq bs6 offerings next year?. Would they bring the 180+ bhp tune along with the bs6 transition?
Old 29th November 2019, 08:18   #478
BHPian

Guys as per the VIN number I got from the dealer it is a May 2019 manufactured car. What do you guys think should I take it or ask for newer one. Its a Style in White colour. I can ask the dealer for a change as it is not registered yet. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Old 29th November 2019, 10:56   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Guys as per the VIN number I got from the dealer it is a May 2019 manufactured car. What do you guys think should I take it or ask for newer one. Its a Style in White colour. I can ask the dealer for a change as it is not registered yet. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
What difference will you experience between a May and November car?

Remember, the kits are stamped then it take a month or two to land in Aurangabad. the kit remains as a kit until a customer order comes in and the kit is released for production. It is quite possible that the SKU quantity is large to justify economies of scale with regard to shipping costs.

Ideally, see the car and see what date is stamped on the tyres
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:38   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Its a great car but why is it so loud. .
What do you mean "so loud"? I own a Kodiaq for almost 2 years now and I have found the car to be super quiet. I am assuming you meant NVH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks