Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2019, 10:35   #511

Re: Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

TPMS in my Kodiaq is the same ESP linked indirect monitoring system present in other VAG cars that checks for changes in the rolling radius of all four wheels and alerts accordingly.

Once you have set the desired cold tyre pressure in all four wheels go to vehicle settings -> Tyres and set the tyre pressure loss indicator on. To confirm if your settings are saved check if the yellow TPM indicator is glowing in the cockpit when the car starts.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img8346.jpg  

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img8344.jpg  

jayanth84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 11:02   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag_kv View Post
TPMS with L & K , i really miss it in my L&K bought last year December. Wish they are able to install and enable to feature in older cars as well. I feel it's a basic thing to have in a car of this cost and in this segment. Please do post some pictures of the TPMS.
True. TPMS and ventilated seats were glaring omissions in an otherwise feature rich car. Now MY2020 Kodiaqs in Europe get both ventilated seats and direct TPMS. I have attached the pages from the electronic manual of the Kodiaq that explains how both the indirect and direct systems work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TPMS in Kodiaq.pdf (542.3 KB, 329 views)
jayanth84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 12:01   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth84 View Post
Once you have set the desired cold tyre pressure in all four wheels go to vehicle settings -> Tyres and set the tyre pressure loss indicator on. To confirm if your settings are saved check if the yellow TPM indicator is glowing in the cockpit when the car starts.
Hey I noticed in the image of the virtual cockpit, there are indicators for the rear bench passenger seat belts too. Does it sound a chime if passengers in the rear haven't buckled up or just gives a visual indication? If its the latter, that is a really useful additional safety feature that should be mandatory in all cars sold in India.
Old 26th December 2019, 13:05   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey I noticed in the image of the virtual cockpit, there are indicators for the rear bench passenger seat belts too. Does it sound a chime if passengers in the rear haven't buckled up or just gives a visual indication? If its the latter, that is a really useful additional safety feature that should be mandatory in all cars sold in India.
Hi it sounds a chime only for the front two seats as they come with pressure sensors. For the rear only visual indication shows if the seat belt is fastened or not.
jayanth84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 11:54   #515
BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians. This is my first ever ownership report of my just purchased Skoda Kodiaq Style in black. The official review (Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review) is so detailed for the exact same model (Style) that too in same colour (Black) that there is no point repeating the same stuff. This is just my journey to owning the Kodiaq and will be updating my experiences with it.

Background:
I learned to drive at a very young age watching my father drive us all over India and unbeknownst to my parents used to switch places with our driver all the time. Finally after my studies abroad I got my very own car which was the 1st gen Swift vdi. I was wowed by the performance of diesel and loved it to bits. Eventually when Dzire was launched switched over to its vdi trim because of the boot space it offered over the Swift. Within a year again changed it to another Dzire but in zdi trim as my father wanted a safer car for me (airbags and abs iirc). Dad was driving City (2nd gen)/Ciaz during that time. We both love to self-drive rather than being driven around.

It was 2011, Santa Fe had recently launched and father and I liked its looks and features it offered. A friend of his had bought it and father asked to me test drive it. I was floored by it as i had never driven such a powerful car with 195 horses and 420nm of torque on tap. What was also amazing was its car-like characteristics. We never had a car in this price range but both of our hearts were set on it. Black has always been my dad's favorite colour and i feel the same. It makes any car with beautiful design stand out much more. It was Sep 2011; the Hyundai showroom owner here also owns Tata's hcv showroom and dad had relations and dealings with him for years. We inquired for Santa 4wd in black but it would take a couple of months to get it. During the visit we saw the owner was using a black Santa Fe and it was gorgeous. We went back in and offered to purchase it immediately in cash. He was reluctant at first but we pushed and finalized a deal. We also were buying tata hcv's at the same time so were able to convince him. A new one was approx 27 lac OTR at the time and we bought his for 19.5. It was just 8 months old and 15k driven. From that day until yesterday, it has been my daily driver and have loved driving it every single time.

My Santa Fe in 2012

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-santa-fe-2012.jpg

Recent years:
During the past 8 years prices of cars have jumped up more than a segment. As GTO said in one of the threads buying a premium car does last longer as it has been for me with the Santa Fe. To get an upgrade from it, a new one would cost 30-35+ so we have been reluctant. My dad changed his Ciaz to an Octavia Tsi L&K. It's a stonker of a car but having been driving an car-like SUV, Octavia feels lightweight and driving on our roads is much easier when sitting high in an SUV. As such i still enjoy the Santa Fe more to drive because of its stability. But features and our change in preference to automatics-only started to make it feel dated now.

Impending BS6 regulations along with slowdown in auto-sector makes it a good time to purchase a car if you can afford one. Slowdown affected us too and maybe this change had had happened a year or two before. I kept inquiring for offers since Nov but didn't feel like splashing unless some very good offer came along.

Cars considered:

Vento/Rapid TDi DSG - Ever since driving the DSG of Octavia, no other automatic feels as good. Due to ban incoming Skoda/VW have been clearing their diesel stock. I had even made payment for Rapid but stopped it next day as i couldn't step down a segment and that too a sedan.

Tucson CRDi - Like the Santa Fe, this Hyundai R-series diesel engine is amazing and in its price range no other car can match it. But like the 2nd gen Santa Fe, the fluidic design improved the exterior looks but made the interior feel compact, something like Ecosport which is a good car in its class but i never liked the compact feel inside. My 1st gen Santa Fe felt much more spacious and comfortable. I might have bought it 2 years back when it was new but now except for the engine and good front looks, everything feels dated compared to other options.

Endeavour 3.2 - Really really like this and very much wanted the 3.2. But zero discounts and lack of interest by Ford sales people. I had to contact him twice but each time he just said he doesn't have a demo car and he will contact once it arrives which never happened, no interest to even lure a customer regardless. Would probably be out of much budget in the end and dad wasn't very keen on it.

Tiguan - Great discounts and was offered Highline for 30 lacs with exchange. But we feel bland design philosophy of VW cars don't make it exciting and it was smaller in size too.

Alturas G4 - Massive car with decent power, gearbox and kit. They were offering great discounts this month (27-28 OTR for G4 with exchange) but driving it was a different experience and didn't get the road manners I am used to of the Santa Fe. I believe this will always be the case with a body-on-frame chassis.

Seltos - Talk about instant impact. Enough has already been discussed about it but I have never been keen on it because it's just a better looking Creta which i don't like in the first place. Felt a step down in segment from Santa Fe although it offers more kit than the Kodiaq and probably all the new cars considered.

Used BMW X5 - Imo starter models like X1, GLA, Q3 are just not worth it and even they would have been over my budget let alone next segment models like GLC/X3. Since i had been holding onto my Santa Fe, I always wanted to experience something next level to it. 6-cylinder diesel's felt like the natural jump and i experienced it for the first time when i test drove 530d. Just , what an engine. New 6-cylinder options were well over my budget. So i started looking at used cars. 530d's are few to find and being a sedan didn't consider it for long. But my mind was now set on X5. Few decent options on OLX and my local BMW dealer had a 4 year old X5 DPE with 40k km on odo. I test drove it and was floored again like the 530d. The dealer was asking around 38 for it (exchange not possible for used car), still over the budget. And my dad would not be keen on a used car that to expensive to maintain luxury cars when a new ones can be had for less.

So after 2 months of thinking, decided to wait for next year and see if prices drop for the X5. But Christmas had other plans for us.

Kodiaq
We like the design philosophy Skoda is going with and their cars look beautiful and classy. To me all their cars Rapid, Octavia, Superb, Kodiaq are best looking in their respective segments. Even the incoming Kamiq is a looker. Always had an eye on Kodiaq but felt very overpriced. As mentioned before we had purchased Octavia in 2018 and had good relations with the dealer. We had the Rapid deal cancelled mid-Nov and said we were interested in Kodiaq. We had the offer of 32 with exchange since Nov but dad stuck to 30 as our max budget. A couple of weeks pass and the sales person contacts us informing that a black Kodiaq had arrived and if we were interested. Dad again said 30 is the budget and Alturas can be had for 27-28 so no deal. He persists almost daily but we don't budge. On Christmas we visit the showroom to see if deal can be struck and the manager reduces to 31.5. We again didn't budge and left. The owner called after 2 hours and tries to convince dad but dad doesn't budge but counter-convinces him to finalize for 30.21 Thus in a matter of hours deal was done and we even received the car same evening. The deal was very hard to ignore considering my Santa Fe is now 9 years old and with year change price would have reduced even more.

Final breakdown:
Ex-showroom - 33 lacs
OTR (with insurance and accessories but no EW) - approx 38 lacs
Deal price with Santa Fe exchange - 30.21 lac
Extended Warranty - 92k additional.

Like the Octavia we would have preferred L&K but it had no discounts and compared to this offer it would have cost way more just for additions like 360 cam, virtual cockpit and tpms.

Initial Experience:
  • Feels classy and elegant. To me black/dark interiors reduce the luxurious feel of any car. That's why we never considered Scout.
  • Black on Kodiaq looks just so so good. One of the reason i am making this post is to show it off hehe.
  • Very spacious in front and second row. Third row is suitable for kids but of very rare use to us. Massive luggage space when second and third rows are folded.
  • Memory seats on driver and passenger is nice.
  • Smooth to drive with car like characteristics making it worthy upgrade. You never feel like its a big suv.
  • What is left to say about DSG. It makes the engine feel more powerful than it is.
  • I only felt the compromise of lesser horses when above 120kmph. Santa Fe never ran out of power even when it reached 160+. As I have grown older my driving has become sedate so an easily acceptable compromise.
  • There is some noticeable engine noise. Not annoying or loud but noticeable at lower speeds.
  • Not acceptable is missing of TPMS. For its price this should have been available on all variants. With Seltos many cars segments above feel overpriced feature-wise.
  • Decoding the VIN showed it as April manufactured but dealer shared his billing which showed he only received it Nov end. Luckily it also means it doesn't have the annoying mandatory speed beeps.
  • Next day after we received the car went to correct the tyre pressure to the recommended 34psi. Surprisingly and counter to what is supposed to happen the road and bumps were felt more afterwards. Today changed it 40 and ride-quality improved??? Don't get it.
Finally pics of my new black beaut.

Old and New

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-0.jpg

D-Day
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-01.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-02.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-03.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-04.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-05.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-15.jpg

Randoms
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-6.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-07.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-08.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-09.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-10.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-11.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-12.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-13.jpg
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-14.jpg

Will try to update this thread whenever possible. Expect the car to last long like the Santa Fe unless EV revolution happens sooner.

Thank you for reading.
AnandB is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 12:02   #516
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Poor Viddy! His car is ready for delivery, but he isn't. First, his family made him come down to Bombay for a week, so he pushed the delivery down to 5th Jan. Now, we're having a mega Mod meet on 4th Jan at my place, so he changed his travel plans. I think the earliest is 6th Jan.

Told him to ensure that the dealer doesn't use his car as a test-drive piece in the meantime .

This must be the longest week ever for Vid6639.

PDI already done by Viddy, Moralfibre & Jaggu. This must be the most PDI'ed car of 2019 because all 3 have enormous attention-to-detail:
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191226wa0067.jpg

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191226wa0070.jpg

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191226wa0068.jpg

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img20191226wa0069.jpg
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:24   #517
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This must be the longest week ever for Vid6639.

PDI already done by Viddy, Moralfibre & Jaggu. This must be the most PDI'ed car of 2019 because all 3 have enormous attention-to-detail:

:

Congratulations Viddy, nice choice. All black interiors are way better than beige. The Scout seems great value as well. Haven't seen the car but what features does it miss.?

Those look like 18" alloys. Will they be ok for off roading considering the Scout gets some low range and under body protection. Would 17" have been better ?

Also does this come with Panoramic sunroof?

Will explore the vehicle in our next Bangalore meet.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 30th December 2019 at 16:26.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:51   #518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
:

Congratulations Viddy, nice choice. All black interiors are way better than beige. The Scout seems great value as well. Haven't seen the car but what features does it miss.?

Those look like 18" alloys. Will they be ok for off roading considering the Scout gets some low range and under body protection. Would 17" have been better ?

Also does this come with Panoramic sunroof?
The Scout misses the virtual cockpit and the 360 camera vs the L&K but gets an off road mode for hill descent control and AWD crawling traction system at low speeds. Plus has the all black alcantara interiors.

Yes it does get the panoramic sunroof and yes it does get 18inch wheels with 235/55 tyres.

The only offroading this car will see is Sarjapur back roads and probably some trails when on vacation. Nothing serious for sure. lol.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 09:31   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Scout misses the virtual cockpit and the 360 camera vs the L&K but gets an off road mode for hill descent control and AWD crawling traction system at low speeds. Plus has the all black alcantara interiors.

Yes it does get the panoramic sunroof and yes it does get 18inch wheels with 235/55 tyres.

The only offroading this car will see is Sarjapur back roads and probably some trails when on vacation. Nothing serious for sure. lol.
Congrats Vid! The scout is a great choice and I really like the Alcantra interiors compared to the beige on the other models. The price is also value for money (hope you got a sweet year end deal!)
One question which I have in my mind which you may have asked them is whether the Kodiaq will be available in Diesel variants in Bs6 Avatar or will shift to petrol versions?
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 13:08   #520
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

I wonder what prevented them from giving also the virtual cockpit and the 360 Camera in the Scout.

Or perhaps they should have created a super L&K version with everything.
It is quite out the world, this car. I would have loved one but it is just too big for my needs. Also very expensive indeed.

I quite agree with you about the evil Sarjapura back roads off roading bit.
Same with HSR, Haralur and similar.

I just dont feel like driving my MINI in these places, so I just take my Gypsy instead.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:51   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Vid on a fabulous car. I have been driving mine for almost 2 years & 25K KMS on these roads, and the build quality is fantastic. Not a squeak from anywhere.

Have my second service due this month and I have no complaints to report.

Cheers!
indusboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 22:50   #522
BHPian

Hi Guys today had landed up with a new issue. The A/c menu switch doesn't seem to work. I restarted many times but of no use. I reached the menu via the setting page but could not make it work. Display showing only On and Aircare. I tried restarting but no use. I am able to switch on off the A/c via the buttons and fan knob. Anybody facing similar issues.
Old 5th January 2020, 07:25   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys today had landed up with a new issue. The A/c menu switch doesn't seem to work. I restarted many times but of no use. I reached the menu via the setting page but could not make it work. Display showing only On and Aircare. I tried restarting but no use. I am able to switch on off the A/c via the buttons and fan knob. Anybody facing similar issues.
Guys this issue autorectified the next day morning. I had the a/c menu not working issue many times but it has self corrected by switching off and switching on the car but this time it didn't work that way also. Surprisingly the next day morning it started working. Can't figure out the software glitch. BTW any of you guys got any software update for your system. I checked online and found only map update which I downloaded and installed on the Nav card. No software update was available.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:45   #524
BHPian

Guys I am in a huge dilemma. Considering the Kodiaq from quiet some time and unable to decide between the L&K and Scout. L&k has the virtual cockpit as well as 360 degree camera where as the Scout has Alcantara seats and black interior (not a fan of those wood inserts though). Price difference offered is about 1 lac between the two.

Problem other than deciding on the car is - the color choice. Skoda India doesn't have Lava Blue in their stock anymore and L&K is available only in Velvet Red (about 5 units) white and quartz grey (1 each). where as the Scout has quiet a few options.

Unable to make up my mind as I LOOOOOVE the alcantara seats in the scout, but still feel 360 degree camera would be of more use as well as the nappa leather seats would be easier to clean. (but the black alcantara wouldn't get as dirty to start with).

Other than helping me out to make up my mind here - I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what are the current deals going on from the company, as well as how generous are the dealers as of now. Or should I wait till march and pick up a sweet deal in whatever car is available?
Old 21st January 2020, 10:37   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Guys this issue autorectified the next day morning. I had the a/c menu not working issue many times but it has self corrected by switching off and switching on the car but this time it didn't work that way also. Surprisingly the next day morning it started working. Can't figure out the software glitch. BTW any of you guys got any software update for your system. I checked online and found only map update which I downloaded and installed on the Nav card. No software update was available.
I had exactly the same issue. It is working normally now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Guys I am in a huge dilemma. Considering the Kodiaq from quiet some time and unable to decide between the L&K and Scout. L&k has the virtual cockpit as well as 360 degree camera where as the Scout has Alcantara seats and black interior (not a fan of those wood inserts though). Price difference offered is about 1 lac between the two.
Other than helping me out to make up my mind here - I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what are the current deals going on from the company, as well as how generous are the dealers as of now. Or should I wait till march and pick up a sweet deal in whatever car is available?
I have driven the dealer provided test drive Kodiaq Style for a month before getting the L&K delivery. Having driven the car with and without the Virtual cockpit and 360 degree camera, I must say it is worth going for L&K. Once you get used to it, the 360 degree camera is extremely useful while you are nosing in and out of the bumper to bumper traffic with so many two wheelers, autos etc. closing in all the time. Virtual cockpit is very handy and customizable. I love the look of the map on the big wide screen . Also, L&K has body colored bumpers which enhance the look if you are going for any color other than black. But this is a personal choice.

Only downside, I see with L&K is the beige colored interiors, I would prefer black.

Mod Note :

Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote [QUOTE+] click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st January 2020 at 11:02. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks