Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 14:32   #211
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Continuing with the hot confusion between Endy and Kodiaq!!

Wondering if and when we can expect a 180+ bhp Kodiaq here and the new bi-turbo Endy to be launched here.. both or either of it in 2019.

Anyone has any reliable updates?

Last edited by motorhead5 : 18th January 2019 at 14:33.
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 14:51   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the kodiaq and the Endy - my vote goes to the Endy for the imposing looks, stellar ride quality, and reliability. The Kodiaq though will be easier to live with owing to it's smaller dimensions and has more legroom in the middle row + more features.

Coming to performance, the Endy masks speeds quite well and though the Kodiaq may be quicker - the endy will command more respect on the roads and will get you to your destination in a less tired state.

The new Endy is expected in 2019 with a face lift and the new engine, but again IIRC this isn't confirmed. The Kodiaq can be remapped to 180bhp if the vRS variant doesn't see light of day in India.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 14:52   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Two different categories of vehicle.

Simple choice to make- Comfortable gizmo filled soft roader Vs Rough and tough SUV with decent equipment level.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 14:56   #214
BHPian

Quote:

Wondering if and when we can expect a 180+ bhp Kodiaq here and the new bi-turbo Endy to be launched here.. both or either of it in 2019.

No idea on the Kodiaq but a reliable birdie once told me the bi-turbo Endy is expected in India only by 2020. The facelift that comes this year does not carry any major engine upgrades though.

Cheers,
Vijay
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 15:53   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Kodiaq we get here is the most popular version sold in the UK another right hand drive market. It's got huge demand and I don't think Skoda will bother with a more powerful engine. If you're not keen on capability off road, the Kodiaq is a better choice, car like comfort is great for long expressway runs.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 16:51   #216
BHPian

Thanks all..

I felt both Endy and Kodiaq are great buys with more pros than cons that I wouldn't have to regret..

On Kodiaq, I felt the need for another ~30bhp. I didn't see much value in the L&K variant. I do not see Skoda launching the vRS in India in the near future as it may not be a viable option. Even if they do, price may be much higher!. Thats where, I was hoping that they will launch a Sportline variant on Kodiaq with ~180bhp.. like the Superb one. A 180+bhp Kodiaq would be a killer proposition, IMO..

On Endy, a refresh is coming and I hear both ways - that the new engine is coming and not!!
And i can afford to wait for another 6-8 months. So..

Last edited by motorhead5 : 18th January 2019 at 16:52.
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 17:29   #217
BHPian

So looks like I will be waiting until the 180bhp Kodiaq arrives. Have never been too fond of the huge SUVs...somehow have always associated them with politicians or show-offs (sorry endy owners, no offence :-) ). Found the Kodiaq very impressive looking. Hated the fact that it has got an engine that is tuned lower than the Superb. And had this nagging irritation that the ground clearance was just 188mm (just 8mm more than my Yeti, which has a much smaller wheelbase). Therefore decided to test drive both the Kodiaq and the 3.2 endy on the same day one after the other.

Endy - The ride quality seemed better than the Kodiaq. May be the suspension worked better clubbed with the extra 450kgs. The interiors were not as bad as I thought they would be. But the interiors seem much much darker and crammed than the Kodiaq, as it is black. And there is no way I can get my parents in and out of it without extending a shoulder. I tripped once myself while getting out of it.

Kodiaq - It feels far far more plush and spacious. Is the sunroof larger than in the Endy by any chance? The clever features are good to have but honestly are not life changing. You will get wet by the time you juggle to get the umbrella from the door or even keep it back there. 'Simply Silly' I thought! The head supports in the middle row seats are actually very useful (I have always loved international flights for this sole reason :-) ). The door protector is good but assumes that the door will only hit at the edge and not anywhere else on the door panel. My 7 year old Yeti has small but many paint scratches on the door panel and not a single scratch on the edge, thanks to columns at mall parking lots. Found the acceleration in sports mode fantastic! Strangely better than the endy which I found a bit sluggish to take off. Ride quality was better in the Endy I thought...found this a bit light. The steering wheel of the Endy felt a bit harder and better than the lighter steering wheel in the Kodiaq...may be because I am so used to the Yeti.

So the grouse I have with the Endy continues to be its larger than life image, which I can't associate myself with for some reason. The issues with the Kodiaq on the other hand are those that may get addressed if it came with the 180bhp engine. And while I have heard horror stories about the Skoda ASS, I have not faced a single...single problem in the last 7.5 years that I have owned the yeti. It has in fact been amazing. JMD would call on the due date, arrange to pick up the car, call to give me an estimate (which was always reasonable), would be called by by the technician to inform the final cost which would always be lesser than the number informed earlier (that's the case with all dealers across brands I guess), and delivered back home! Except for some one-offs, they were all gentlemen to deal with.

So yeah, Ill be waiting for the sportline or scout variant, whichever comes with the 180bhp...if at all!

Last edited by Sachin Bhatt : 18th January 2019 at 17:49.
Sachin Bhatt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 21:09   #218
BHPian

Thanks Sachin for the detailed write up..

In my case, What I like about Endy:
- I do like Endy's size (Though my wife is not a big fan of it). And of course the tall seating and visibility..
- Though I will not be doing planned Off road activities, I do travel a lot; so the ground clearance, tyre size and knowing that it can go anywhere will give me a lot of confidence.
- At this point, I think I may not use 4 Low / Rock mode etc though. But you never know..
- 3rd row is more usable especially compared to Kodiaq
- Feature wise, It looks reasonably good though I strongly wish they had the seat memory capability that Kodiaq has..
- I felt front seats were more comfortable in Endy
- I thought Steering too was better in Endy
- Lower maintenance package. I already own a Ford and see the low maint costs myself..

On Kodiaq
- Seat memory was a key differentiator for me
- Many other features like Adjustable Front hand rest, All 4 windows are one touch compared to 2 in Endy
- 12 way seat adjustments for both front seats
- More comfortable middle rows, built in sun protection for middle windows, space etc
- Felt more plush
- Canton music system..
- BUT, it should have been at least 25-30bhp more. It just didn't give that punch at this price point (even compared to Tuscon!)
- Price is still high without discounts..

Since I may not take it for deep offroad activities, Kodiaq would have become the choice if it had this extra bhp assuming it can handle soft offroad scenarios..
On Ford, I was hoping that the new engine will give adequate power, less in weight overall (hope!) and better mileage.. Was excited about the 10 speed transmission and biturbo..

So, in short, I am in a wait mode for the new Ford and the 'upcoming' (hope!) Kodiaq Sportline.. At least 2 of my friends too are interested in Kodiaq if they launch a sporty version!. IMO, there will be more takers for it that way..

One question - How is Endy's music system? I couldn't try it much. Is it comparable to Kodiaq's Canton system??
motorhead5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:26   #219
BHPian

Quote:
One question - How is Endy's music system? I couldn't try it much. Is it comparable to Kodiaq's Canton system??
IMHO the Kodiaq's system is much better sounding.

On the question of Endy Vs Kodiaq, having owned an Endy before and now a Kodiaq my take is to put it in terms of a smartphone analogy. It is a gross over simplification but still. Think of the Endy as the latest iteration of an Android phone. It looks gorgeous and the specs are great. And the Kodiaq in terms of the latest iPhone.It is beautifully put together and works flawlessly. Some people prefer one over the other.

I used to like my Endy but when time came for an upgrade I could not seem to like the new Endy and have gone with the Kodiaq.
indusboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:04   #220
BHPian

Quote:
My nephew found the Canton speakers in the Kodiaq doing a much better job than the Endy. But I personally found the Kodiaq speakers not sounding too great while sitting on the second row. the mid range seemed muffled (strangely didn't notice this when I was on the driver seat). Got the skoda guy to change the sound settings by increasing the mid range and reducing the bass which was kept super high (guess some of these dealers still live in the days of extra bass auto rickshaws), after which it seemed better.

So in other words, atleast the test drive experience of the sound system was not the best for kodiaq. The speakers in the Endy sounded good.
Sachin Bhatt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:18   #221
BHPian

Wait, are they even considering the 180hp Kodiaq for India? In that case they probably will consider the 180hp Tiguan as well.
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:45   #222
BHPian

If you look at power to weight ratio of the 150 bhp Kodiaq and 180 bhp endeavour both are exactly same I think around 93 hp/ton as I read in a comparison article.
Guys one more question for Kodiaq owners with MRF tyres what is the PSI you maintain for a comfortable ride. I have set is at 39 PSI company recommended (27 Bar) but feel the ride quality on the harder side with even slightest bumps felt rattling into the cabin. (I hate noises and unfortunately my kodiaq has more of them). The suspension noise is pending for check up and verification.
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:35   #223
BHPian

Hi sag_kv, the weight of both variants is almost the same (the 150bhp engine weighs 1805kgs and the 190bhp one weighs 1818kgs). They are the same engines tuned differently. So the power to weight ratios are drastically different, one being 83hp/ton and the other 104.5hp/ton. And so is the torque to weight ratio - 188Nm/ton vs 220Nm/ton.
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:36   #224
BHPian

Hi Sachin I compared the Kodiak with endeavour. I thought endeavour was heavier.
sag_kv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:44   #225
BHPian

The suspension quality I feel is on the harder side. Feel the ride quality bad even after reducing the PSI to 35. Got to check whether it is due to MRF tyres or because of the suspension itself. Even small uneven surfaces on road sending the vibrations to the seats and causing a rattle in the tablet holders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks