Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:34   #646
BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh_85 View Post
However, considering that my car runs in Mumbai where almost all types of traffic situations are encountered the above habits have added 0.5 - 1 kmpl to my economy figures. I'll request you to try and report back
All that effort for 1kmpl!! IMHO, it's not worth it.

That's the reason, I stopped bothering about mileage, disabled all sorts of mileage stats from MID and keep the TPMS in front of me while driving.

By this, I avoid the stress of looking at efficiency numbers and just enjoy driving the smooth responsive engine.

FYI: My city mileage varies from 7-8 KMPL in stop-go WEH traffic.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:35   #647
Senior - BHPian

The new Aspire diesel gets the Getrag gearbox which is apparently much more better and slicker shifting than the previous version. Is there a possibility that the gearbox on the Ecosport TDCI (which runs on the same engine) will also get this gearbox? Can anyone shed some light or share some news on this?

The present Ecosport diesel gearshift quality is not the best, but it will be interesting to know if that is about to change with the introduction of the new gearbox.
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:55   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
All that effort for 1kmpl!! IMHO, it's not worth it.

That's the reason, I stopped bothering about mileage, disabled all sorts of mileage stats from MID and keep the TPMS in front of me while driving.

By this, I avoid the stress of looking at efficiency numbers and just enjoy driving the smooth responsive engine.

FYI: My city mileage varies from 7-8 KMPL in stop-go WEH traffic.
I had read a lot of posts advising sedate driving to increase FE, just thought I'd share my definition of sedate driving. But in the end, to each his own.

WEH is really horrible these days with all the metro construction going on. I'd say even 7-8 kmpl is pretty acceptable. I mostly drive on the EEH where metro work is just commencing and not that bothersome for now. On the highway I get close to 13 kmpl which when combined with in-city driving (I live in Thane) takes the overall average down to 10-11 kmpl. Earlier it used to be 9-10 kmpl. I've just gotten the car back from the second service so let's see how the performance goes now
anirudh_85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 19:45   #649
BHPian

Hi all, I drive Ford Figo Petrol at present (I bought reading a thread on Teambhp only) and its a swell car but want to move now to a bigger car. I am contemplating buying a Eco Sport 1.5L Petrol AT. (I stay in Mumbai, so ..) but not sure about two things:
1. Is there a better car available around 10 lakhs . I am not a Maruti fan so no Brezza for me
2. If Ecosport is the one, should i go for 1 L Ecoboost engine or 1.5L Dragon engine?

I drive to Pune/Panchgini once a month and would like to make long trips in this car. I like powerful cars, not the ones that drag on a climb. FE is not that much of a concern as I drive only on weekends and there is not much running for the car.

Is Ford Eco sport a good car for hills? Is it the best pick for the budget I mentioned?

Please help !!
Old 2nd December 2018, 20:18   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saminxs View Post
.... I am contemplating buying a Eco Sport 1.5L Petrol AT. (I stay in Mumbai, so ..) but not sure about two
2. If Ecosport is the one, should i go for 1 L Ecoboost engine or 1.5L Dragon engine?

Please help !!
I bought an EcoSport AT last month. The car has clocked only 800 kms till date but let me answer.

The dragon 1.5 is the only engine you can have if you're choosing the AT. The ecoboost and TDCI are available with manual transmission only.

If you're willing to compromise on AT, you may take a serious look at the ecoboost. This engine has a very good fan following. Take a test drive of both variants.

The other car I can recommend is the Tata Nexon.
Old 2nd December 2018, 20:41   #651
BANNED

Quote:
Hi all, I drive Ford Figo Petrol at present (I bought reading a thread on Teambhp only) and its a swell car but want to move now to a bigger car. I am contemplating buying a Eco Sport 1.5L Petrol AT. (I stay in Mumbai, so ..) but not sure about two things:
1. Is there a better car available around 10 lakhs . I am not a Maruti fan so no Brezza for me

I drive to Pune/Panchgini once a month and would like to make long trips in this car. I like powerful cars, not the ones that drag on a climb. FE is not that much of a concern as I drive only on weekends and there is not much running for the car.

Is Ford Eco sport a good car for hills? Is it the best pick for the budget I mentioned?

Please help !!
As someone who has had an EcoBoost for 5 years now, from what i have felt and have recieved the feedback from my dad who drives it most of the time, Ecoboost is not that well suited for hills. It has good punch only at higher revs, at least 3k rpm in hills. Thus you'll have to commonly drive it in 2nd gear and sometimes even 1st. Although it still remains refined and silent at higher revs, you'll see the fuel economy dip. On thr highways though, no such issues. It has fantastic power and good FE as well.

If you're only occasionally using it in the hills, i would suggest ecoboost. But if majority of your driving will be in such areas, the diesel feels more suited to it.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 16:31   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
As someone who has had an EcoBoost for 5 years now, from what i have felt and have recieved the feedback from my dad who drives it most of the time, Ecoboost is not that well suited for hills. It has good punch only at higher revs, at least 3k rpm in hills. Thus you'll have to commonly drive it in 2nd gear and sometimes even 1st. Although it still remains refined and silent at higher revs, you'll see the fuel economy dip. On thr highways though, no such issues. It has fantastic power and good FE as well.

If you're only occasionally using it in the hills, i would suggest ecoboost. But if majority of your driving will be in such areas, the diesel feels more suited to it.
Thanks Agam, but I believe I read on teambhp forums that Dragon 1.5 is a much better engine than Eco boost as an engine. Also will the displacement difference not work in favour of 1.5L engine? I am already driving Figo which is 4 cylinder and 1.2 Litres. Please opine ..
Yes my driving in hill is very occasional.
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:15   #653
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Agam, but I believe I read on teambhp forums that Dragon 1.5 is a much better engine than Eco boost as an engine. Also will the displacement difference not work in favour of 1.5L engine? I am already driving Figo which is 4 cylinder and 1.2 Litres. Please opine ..
Yes my driving in hill is very occasional.
Dragon engine should be a little better on the hills owing to better driveability at lower revs but overall i still disagree with the popular opinion and would stick my neck out and say that the EcoBoost more feels more punchy. The simple reason for me is the kick when turbo boost comes on, and i love that feeling when you get pushed back in the seat. The dragon 1.5 is a perfectly adequate engine well suited for most duties but lacks that zing that turbo cars have.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:51   #654
BHPian

Mahindra has started selling Ford cars, especially the Ecosport, as part of their alliance with Ford. They're also setting up service centers for Ford cars. This would boost EcoSport sales in tier 2 and 3 cities!

https://www.livemint.com/Auto/we2sTu...-alliance.html
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:14   #655
BHPian

I hope this move doesn't repeated the horror of TATA-FIAT sales/service disaster.

I wonder why would Ford need Mahindra's hand if a dealer opens up a seperate channel of sales+service? I can understand if the existing physical real-estate of sales and service (including tools and human resources) are used but if dealers are willing to invest for totally separate installation then aren't they (Ford) better off adding that dealer to their network directly?

There isn't any clauses in M&M stopping a dealer to do so at individual level unless Mahindra is investing on behalf of Ford for the extra cost of those installations.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:50   #656
Senior - BHPian

Could any of the present owners of the new facelift Ecosport comment on the potency of the stock headlights on the Titanium model? I believe it has projector headlamps, but how sufficient are they for day to day usage?

Especially given that a lot of idiots on the roads prefer to drive with their blinding high beams on, and without strong headlights, it becomes difficult to drive on the roads.
Old 5th December 2018, 13:02   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Could any of the present owners of the new facelift Ecosport comment on the potency of the stock headlights on the Titanium model? I believe it has projector headlamps, but how sufficient are they for day to day usage?
I own new facelift Titanium+ TDCi for past 10 months and would say new headlights in facelift model is quite good and much better than old EcoSport.
There are not many reasons to complain as such IMPO.
In Highways, with Highways, combined with highbeam and fog lamps, the throw is good enough, although our greed to have more is always there

-Ravi
Old 6th December 2018, 12:34   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I own new facelift Titanium+ TDCi for past 10 months and would say new headlights in facelift model is quite good and much better than old EcoSport.
Thanks Ravi, this is helpful. However, if one does want to upgrade the lights without spending thousands on some high end setup, will a simple switch to 100/90 headlamps with relay wiring work on these projector headlamps? Or is this some fancy headlight set up which does not allow for such simple mods?

All I had to do on my Swift was to upgrade the headlamp bulbs to Philips 100/90, with a total cost of Rs. 1500, and all poor lighting woes disappeared. Wondering if the same thing is possible on the Ecosport.
Old 6th December 2018, 14:12   #659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ravi, this is helpful. However, if one does want to upgrade the lights without spending thousands on some high end setup, will a simple switch to 100/90 headlamps with relay wiring work on these projector headlamps? Or is this some fancy headlight set up which does not allow for such simple mods?

All I had to do on my Swift was to upgrade the headlamp bulbs to Philips 100/90, with a total cost of Rs. 1500, and all poor lighting woes disappeared. Wondering if the same thing is possible on the Ecosport.
It is possible but not advisable to switch to 100/90. I would suggest you just get a HID kit for the low beam in Ecosport. Will work better than stock and even 100/90 and will be 35W HID kit.

I recently swapped the halogen bulb in an S-cross which had projectors. The difference was massive.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 15:29   #660
BHPian

Quote:
will a simple switch to 100/90 headlamps with relay wiring work on these projector headlamps
Not advisable since that closed projector unit can not handle the heat from the higher wattage bulbs. These bulbs work fine in large headlight units which allows better heat dissipation.
Try an HID kit in that projector with a 4300k bulb.

Most Viewed